Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2010, 17:08   #1
BHPian

Caught the i again - New Hyundai i10 1.2 Asta in white

Here are the initial impressions of our new i10 1.2 Asta in white.

Background:

We took the delivery of the i10 on the 18th of November.The car was delivered after almost 5 - 6 weeks of booking. We got a discount of Rs. 20k and the accessories included in the package were as follows -

Lumar sun film for windows and rear windscreen
Mudflaps + Matting
Underbody Anti rust treatment
Carlac polish

We booked the car for my sister so its primary use would be in Mumbai for short distances. The reason to choose the asta version was because of the features and also we prefer to go for the fully loaded version of the car.The car has clogged almost 350 kilometers till now. After receiving the car, I replaced the stock tyres, and upsized them with a set of 14 inch wheels and tyres. The matt finish with grey innards of the Lenso - Samurai series alloys, and fatter rubber (175/65 R14 Yokohama A. drives) has really enhanced the visual appeal of the car. I also got the horn replaced as the standard one provided sounded quite bad.

Initial Observations:

Exterior Design: The car looks aggressive from the front with its gaping grille work and elongated headlights. The new Fluid design DNA of the new breed of Hyundai's cars certainly adds flair to a small and smart city car. It has much better presence than the previous i10 which I really never liked too much. But from certain angles the front may look weird. The wheels and tyres also contribute to its better looks and stance. Back remains almost the same except for the new tail lamps and reflectors. Overall a much better looking avatar.

Interiors: Most of the interiors being carried over from the original i10, which I have used before, there are additions on the asta version which I really like - the steering mounted controls (which for some unknown reason are not backlit) and bluetooth for the phone (works like a charm and very simple to use). Overall the quality is good. The instrument cluster is well lit in a soothing white color with a red needle, and the info display for fuel and gear changing indicator is a nice addition. Small storage spaces around are enough but no bottle holder in the doors?!

The speakers provided are basic - enough for the average Joe if I may say. Air conditioning is top notch, but road noise insulation is still not up there with say a Polo or a Fabia. Space is good all round for a small car of this category. But price definitely is on the expensive side. If you need some perspective, you could buy an i20 sportz version for 20k more.

On the Road: Driving this car with its new VTVT 1.2 engine, initially it was smooth but a little jerky, but as the car is being driven more the car seems to open up and I have to say the engine seems more refined and smoother than my i20. Very quiet at idle and a linear power delivery across the rev band. Quite a joy to drive around in the city. The new tyres provide the much needed grip that was absent with the original 13 inch ones. Suspension is fairly on the firmer side and does not cushion the passengers very well. But personally I do prefer a car which is firmly sprung for better road handling. Gear changing is swift and the gear knob seems to be placed at just the right height. The parking sensors are also a real boon, especially for the lady drivers like my sister.

The i10 would be used mainly in the city and according to me it ticks all the prerequisite boxes intended for the same. It seems to be a perfect city hatch, maybe only not having the most well designed interiors. Hope you guys like it.

Pics are attached below:
Attached Thumbnails
Caught the i again - New Hyundai i10 1.2 Asta in white-img_5266.jpg  

Caught the i again - New Hyundai i10 1.2 Asta in white-img_5267.jpg  

Caught the i again - New Hyundai i10 1.2 Asta in white-img_5272.jpg  

Caught the i again - New Hyundai i10 1.2 Asta in white-img_5276.jpg  

Caught the i again - New Hyundai i10 1.2 Asta in white-img_5286.jpg  

Caught the i again - New Hyundai i10 1.2 Asta in white-img_5291.jpg  

Old 28th November 2010, 18:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy! The i10 looks best in white undoubtedly. And those alloy wheels complement the car so well! Awesome choice! What was the cost of those Lensos?
Old 29th November 2010, 11:25   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on buying one of the best city hatchbacks there is in the market today. Drive safe, Reckdriver (as much as this sentence sounds like an oxymoron). Women, in particular, love the Santro & i10; your sister will enjoy the super light controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckDriver View Post
Overall the quality is good.
Best-in-class I'd say. Hyundai hatchback's interiors win them a phenomenal number of customers.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:34   #4
BHPian

Congrats for the new purchase ReckDriver. The alloys look really awesome.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats !! .
The car looks great in white and with those alloys.
Also i knew that lenso doesnt have alloys in 14'', then how come you got them .
How much did you pay for those alloys .
Anyways , this car is supposed to be driven by your sister, so did you consider AT @ any point of time .

Anyways drive safe
Cheers
Old 29th November 2010, 16:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the i10. The white looks lovely with those set of alloys. The cosmetic upgrade has made the car look better IMO.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the i10.
Old 29th November 2010, 18:27   #7
BHPian

Congrats buddy, looking forward to see some interior pictures.
Old 29th November 2010, 19:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

What? You got the Lenso Samurai's in 14" ? I tried so hard to look for them. Where'd you get the switch done from?
Old 29th November 2010, 23:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

I really like how the new i10 looks, especially in white!

Great snaps and congrats on the new car! Nice choice of alloys, the i10 looks a lot more butch now!

Interior pics, please
Old 29th November 2010, 23:59   #10
BANNED

Congrats on the new car. Awesome alloys. Dosen't the Asta come with OEM alloys? How is the Kappa2 engine compared to the old Kappy.
Old 30th November 2010, 00:24   #11
BHPian

Thanks everyone. This car is one smooth rider with its altered new heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Congrats on the new car. Awesome alloys. Dosen't the Asta come with OEM alloys? How is the Kappa2 engine compared to the old Kappy.
Thanks L2J. Unfortunately the car doesnt feature OEM alloys even on the top end versions. Either which ways I would have swapped them with the Lensos, as the Samurai series has taken a special place in my heart after I had installed these on my i20. They look really cool, especially in the night.

I would not really be able to differentiate between the older and newer kappa engines, as I have seldom driven the older i10. But it feels very refined and quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I really like how the new i10 looks, especially in white!

Great snaps and congrats on the new car! Nice choice of alloys, the i10 looks a lot more butch now!

Interior pics, please
Interior pics coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
What? You got the Lenso Samurai's in 14" ? I tried so hard to look for them. Where'd you get the switch done from?
Hey flyingspur. Got the Lensos and the tyres from Premji's in Mahim. He arranged the same for me after I told him the particular model I wanted. I'll consider myself lucky then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Congrats !! .
The car looks great in white and with those alloys.
Also i knew that lenso doesnt have alloys in 14'', then how come you got them .
How much did you pay for those alloys .
Anyways , this car is supposed to be driven by your sister, so did you consider AT @ any point of time .

Anyways drive safe
Cheers
As far as my knowledge goes, Lenso recently introduced 14inch wheels in 2 models. One is the Samurai SC-05 - 14 (the one's I got) and the other is the PD 8 -14 (these are white with a red lip). I still have to receive the bill but I was told it would be about 16K for a set of 4. We really didn't consider the AT for her, but she is quite comfortable with a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on buying one of the best city hatchbacks there is in the market today. Drive safe, Reckdriver (as much as this sentence sounds like an oxymoron). Women, in particular, love the Santro & i10; your sister will enjoy the super light controls.

Best-in-class I'd say. Hyundai hatchback's interiors win them a phenomenal number of customers.
Thanks GTO. Definitely the interiors are best in class, with all the little gizmos. Hope this space remains rattle free unlike my i20, whose steering rattle is driving me nuts!
Old 30th November 2010, 00:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new purchase. Drive safe. The car looks good with those alloys.
Old 30th November 2010, 02:06   #13
BHPian

Congratulations ..I have found the i10 suspension to be stiff at front and soft at the rear.You have mentioned that you have found the car to be stiffly sprung.Has the suspension been re-tuned in the latest kapp2 avatar? Can you clarify please.
Old 30th November 2010, 11:13   #14
BHPian

hey contrats on the new i10. I too have booked the Sportz (carbon grey) variant and expecting the delivery on 12th Dec.

Btw does those tyres hit the arches ? I understand 185/60/14 would be an idle choice for upgrade over those puny little ones. Am already in talks with few locals to get Michelins XM1+ along with OEM i20 alloys !

Since you are in mumbai, lets catch up someday

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 30th November 2010 at 11:18.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1 and I'm likely to be one of those newest customers. I had shortlisted the Ritz LXI and the I10 Magna as my next car and boy, the LXI looked quite plain compared with the I10 in the interiors section. So, I10 it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks