Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2010, 20:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda

With another weekend looming and the 'carlessness' syndrome itching, I thought about making a trip to Matthews Motor Company, which is located next door from my office, and just a 5 minutes walk from my residence. Purpose - check out the 2000 Mazda Protege they have been listing in craigslist for at least 2 weeks.

With the regulation morning meetings over, I called up Andy (owner) of Matthews Motors - and walked down to get a feel of the old beauty.

The figures - Highlight Silver 2000 Mazda Protege with 130000 miles (around 210000 km) under her belt.

I wasn't too optimistic about the car - at this age cars begin to wear out their struts & cv joints, start having transmission problems, and myriad of other issues.

After a no nonsense intro with Andy - I was handed the key (remote locking - nice!) and hopped in (w/ Andy) to take her out for a spin.

After 10 minutes and few fast straights, fast corners, parking lots and lock to lock steering check later - I was convinced that this car still had something in it for me.

Went inside the dealers' office and started with the negotiation.
Dealer asking: 4500 + tax + reg

I started negotiating from 3000 + +.

20 minutes of negotiation - few paper proofs of how the car has been 'refitted' with 'new' spares, finally came the handshake - with us reaching a mutual agreement on 3750 USD all inclusive.
The squeak in suspension (while going over road humps) I reported after the TD was promised to be fixed on Monday (with written guarantee).

So started the paperwork, and after (quite) a few signatures, and a lengthy call with Geico (insurance - USD 232 for 6 months collision only) - I was finally handed over the keys for my latest machine - The Mazda Protege.

Total time taken starting from walking out of my office to driving inside - 1:45 Hrs.

Drove her around 80-90 miles in the first day itself, and about 10-15 miles on the second - with a LOT more to come.

Pictures and detailed report to follow soon - till then, let me take the 'silver surfer' out for another spin!
Old 12th December 2010, 22:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda

Thats kool Siddharthada .
And 1.45hrs was really really quick, isn't ?
Looking forward to a details report of the same along with a loads of pics.
Also hoping your Asta back home is also driven regular and taken care.

Cheers
Old 12th December 2010, 23:54   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition
Awaiting for your pics and initial ownership report.
I wonder how were you able to negotiate in flat 20 minutes from 4500 + tax + reg to 3750 all inclusive , I guess you should be a good negotiator. On my next purchase would seek your help on some negotiation tips
Old 13th December 2010, 00:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks schoudhary & camchennai.
Regarding the negotiation time and amount - gotta start from dirt low offers! (I started negotiating from 3000++ :P) , be knowledgeable about pros and cons of the car you are dealing with (more so for an used car), and always have a smile on your face

Unfortunately my i10 is not taken out much - The dark knight is only taken out only when dad visits home for a couple of days. Else its upto my uncle on the weekends to start the car for a few minutes, check electricals/fluids/tire pressure etc and cover it up again.

Enough said - let the first round of pictures do the talking!

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5455.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5456.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5457.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5458.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5459.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5461.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5462.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5463.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5464.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5467.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5468.jpg

Car wars 3 - Return of the Mazda-dsc_5469.jpg
Old 13th December 2010, 00:34   #5
BHPian

Car look awesome. thanks for pics.
I hope when we start of with dirty low offers, he doesn't takes his gun and points on our head
Old 13th December 2010, 00:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Car look awesome. thanks for pics.
I hope when we start of with dirty low offers, he doesn't takes his gun and points on our head
Gotta keep your cool ! Customer is the king.
BTW dirt low doesn't equate to lowball offers - you just cannot offer 2000 on an asking price of 4500 (The car was worth 2900 - 3200 USD private party price in KBB).
Old 13th December 2010, 00:47   #7
BHPian

For a car which has munched so many miles, looks quite good. But it definitely demands a better ICE.
Great snaps. Waiting to hear more about the Mazda.
Old 13th December 2010, 00:57   #8
lsp
BHPian

You sir, seem to be a quick shopper!! I think u picked your earlier car in US also in a matter of hours.

Well the car looks good for her age and mileage. Hope you have many many happy miles with her. Can you please give a (rough) breakup of $3750? How much does Tax and Reg cost?
Old 13th December 2010, 01:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Superb deal. Nice pictures as well. You beat the cliche that all Indians by Toyotas and Hondas
Old 13th December 2010, 04:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
For a car which has munched so many miles, looks quite good. But it definitely demands a better ICE.
Great snaps. Waiting to hear more about the Mazda.
I was also thinking in the same direction. Let me see if i can make a decision in this week. I have narrowed down couple of HU in walmart with ipod access+control. Also have to get dash kit w/ wiring harness. Should set me back by $170 appx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
You sir, seem to be a quick shopper!! I think u picked your earlier car in US also in a matter of hours.

Well the car looks good for her age and mileage. Hope you have many many happy miles with her. Can you please give a (rough) breakup of $3750? How much does Tax and Reg cost?
The fastest shopper in west!

The exact breakup is:

cash price: $3476.70
tax @ 3%: $104.30
License and registration fee: $69
Documentation fees: $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Superb deal. Nice pictures as well. You beat the cliche that all Indians by Toyotas and Hondas
Lolz - Indians love Nissan too! But I have a soft corner for Mazda.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

1.45 hours? That's less than a short movie run time

Congrats on the car
Old 13th December 2010, 13:43   #12
BHPian

Mazda is actually a Ford subsidiary. Not sure about the quality (in US Standards). $3750 sounds slightly on the higher side for a 1.3+ K miles car, to be honest. Could have been cheaper had you bought directly from the owner instead of dealer. In my experience the used car salesmen in US are the biggest liars.

-Thunderbird
Old 13th December 2010, 23:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird77 View Post
Mazda is actually a Ford subsidiary. Not sure about the quality (in US Standards). $3750 sounds slightly on the higher side for a 1.3+ K miles car, to be honest. Could have been cheaper had you bought directly from the owner instead of dealer. In my experience the used car salesmen in US are the biggest liars.

-Thunderbird
Mazda is not a Ford subsidiary - Ford has appx 13% stake in Mazda. Ford-Mazda has a JV in US called autoalliance international which builds the mazda 6 and ford mustang.

The car feels light but no handling issues (driving dynamics is better than the new gen hyundai accent/ Kia rio/ toyota corolla/ toyota yaris that i have driven as rentals). With a small 1.8 L engine - I guess I am ok with a light car!

3470 is indeed about 300-400 USD dearer than straight owner price, but buying from the dealer I was assured of the vehicle condition and workability (plus the car has new AC hose + new spark plugs + unidirectional performance tires with substantial tread left in them).
Also - Mathews Motor (being a local dealer) is dependent on word-of-mouth publicity, and I have heard only good things about them (fingers crossed).
300-400 more just to have someone to fall back on - easier to go grab a dealer ( and spoil his image if something goes wrong) than grab a person who might be halfway across the world when something goes unexpectedly wrong in the car.

Last edited by blackasta : 13th December 2010 at 23:08.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Mazda is not a Ford subsidiary - Ford has appx 13% stake in Mazda. Ford-Mazda has a JV in US called autoalliance international which builds the mazda 6 and ford mustang.

The car feels light but no handling issues (driving dynamics is better than the new gen hyundai accent/ Kia rio/ toyota corolla/ toyota yaris that i have driven as rentals). With a small 1.8 L engine - I guess I am ok with a light car!

3470 is indeed about 300-400 USD dearer than straight owner price, but buying from the dealer I was assured of the vehicle condition and workability (plus the car has new AC hose + new spark plugs + unidirectional performance tires with substantial tread left in them).
Also - Mathews Motor (being a local dealer) is dependent on word-of-mouth publicity, and I have heard only good things about them (fingers crossed).
300-400 more just to have someone to fall back on - easier to go grab a dealer ( and spoil his image if something goes wrong) than grab a person who might be halfway across the world when something goes unexpectedly wrong in the car.
I stand corrected mate. Ford has only JV with Mazda, not ownership. My information was erroneous.

-Thunderbird
Old 15th December 2010, 23:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sent in the ol' one for the promised fix up today - should get back the car with the suspension squeak and the central locking thing sorted out!
Few things good about a 10 yr old car - Starts like new even in subzero temperatures, and (knock on wood) no belt screeches (this thing really drives me mad!).
Plan to go in for a oil+filter change this coming January.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks