Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 00:38   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 1.2L Asta - It's not cool; it's uber cool!

Uber cool! That pretty much sums up what I feel about my brand new I20 1.2L Asta

It was with a heavy heart that I gave away my Santro which has been a faithful companion for the last 5 years. Coming to think of it, I spent more time in that car than with any other singular member of my family or friends circle. However, since, it was a pre-owned car (2000 model) and had clocked more than 1.4 lacs on the odo, I decided it's time to get my first brand new car

The hunt began a couple of months back and I had pretty much made up my mind to go for a diesel hatchback. And the top contenders were Figo, GP and Swift. However, after talking to a few people I realised that petrol would be a better choice for me and then the contenders' list saw a lot of new entrants. Finally, it was a shootout between Swift, I10 and I20.

Swift and I10 were what my head said but I20 ruled my heart. Having read the opening line of this post, you know what i finally followed.

Today, i took the delivery of my Silky Beige Asta. The drama of the day (late start, traffic snarls, calling up the neighborhood priest to keep the temple open for a little longer, etc.) was the perfect climax for all the drama leading up to this date. But, my dealership experience throughout was fantastic.

So, finally at around 7:30 pm i got my hands on the car keys. Have managed to drive it for around 30 kms. and some of my initial observations:

- I20 in Silky Beige is not a very popular color but it grows on you
- After driving a tall boy Santro, I20 will take some getting used to
- The features are uber cool
- Interior is super spacious by hatchback standards
- Ingress and egress can be a bit of a problem
- The central console is hung too low and I am yet too find the perfect driving position due to that. I either knock my left knee or scrape my shin
- There seems to be a slight problem with the driver-side door. It doesn't close properly unless one closes it really hard. I mentioned this to the sales guy and he said he'll have it checked as soon as possible

I think 30 km. doesn't justify a longer post. More as and when...

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th December 2010 at 01:30. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully, thanks
Old 16th December 2010, 01:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: i20 1.2L Asta - It's not cool; it's uber cool!

Congrats on the latest aquisition. Pictures awaited. Drive safe.
Old 16th December 2010, 07:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the 'chilling' buy!
Looking forward to pictures..
Drive safe!
Old 16th December 2010, 10:05   #4
BHPian

Please update this with a complete report, likes/dislikes, picture, buying experience, etc. otherwise mods will close this thread.
Old 16th December 2010, 13:33   #5
BHPian

Technocrat: My bad. Seems like I got carried away yesterday!

Prince_pervez and blackasta: Thankee! Will update the pictures this weekend definitely.

Kalpeshc: Thanks for the heads up. As mentioned in my opening post, I got the car pretty late last night and it was almost 9:30 pm by the time we finished the puja. Therefore, haven't had the time to write a complete report. Touched upon most of the points in brief but promise to deliver a detailed report soon.

By the way, does anyone know how to update thumbnail pictures. I searched the forums and some of the links mentioned are now redundant.
Old 16th December 2010, 14:00   #6
BHPian

I am really keen for your updates and pics. I am planning to get a white Asta in the near future. Do highlight on the various aspects which are criticized in the i20 e.g. dead steering, A/C, steering rattle, etc.

What accessories are on the card?
Old 16th December 2010, 21:12   #7
BHPian

Congrats for the i20 Asta, manz. Waiting to hear more about it from you. Some snaps would also jutice to the review.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the beige i20.Even i have a beige i20 CRDI and i just love the color! Its different and rare.Like you said,it grows on you slowly.
The greatest advantage of this color is it hides dust very well compared to other colors and does not make your car look dirty!
Old 20th December 2010, 00:35   #9
BHPian

I have been warned of the wrath of our almighty mods if this thread is bereft of detailed report and captures of the new car. Therefore, I have started making notes from the first opportunity that I found and how- It’s 01:34 hrs. and I am penning (oops, typing) my report. The final version, or some parts of it atleast, will see the light on Team-BHP forum at a saner hour, I guess.

I have a feeling that this will be a long post. It’s not everyday that one buys a car and therefore, one tends to go overboard sometimes sharing the experience. Please be kind to me.

For easy redability, I will be breaking down the post in many parts. Mods-I hope it's ok with you.

Before the I20:

I was driving a pre-owned Santro LS (2000 model) which had clocked around 72,000 kms. when it changed hands. I purchased the car in early 2005 and it had been a faithful companion to me till day 15 of this month. We kept each other company for around 70,000 kms. in the said period.

I loved everything about the car – a wonderful, no-nonsense –city-car which fulfilled my need of four-wheels-to-take-me-around-town. Things started to go wrong in the last one year when everytime my car went for a service, it came back with some new problems. In all my years of owning the car, I have never gotten the car serviced anywhere but authorized Hyundai dealers. I do not understand the technicalities of the car too well and therefore took service advisors advice without a pinch of salt (if only I were a member of this forum then!). Anyways, I will not dwell too much on the past and to cut the long story short, I realized that buying a new car would make more sense than footing scary bills for the old one. Make no mistake, I loved the old Santro but sometimes you have to bow to the laws of financial returns.

Thus, began my hunt for a new car. Again, the requirements were pretty clear. It had to be a hatchback and a city performer as I had never taken the old car to another city. Yes sir, the 70,000 kms. that I clocked on the Santro were all in namma Bengaluru. Also, I generally drive alone and it’s only in summer holidays that the car sees itss fair share of other passengers. Therefore, a sedan was not really something I wanted to look at.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th December 2010 at 10:59. Reason: Back to Back posts. Please wait for 20 mins or use EDIT button
Old 20th December 2010, 00:44   #10
BHPian

The I-am-so-confused-that-I-can-kick myself days:

Thereon, things started to get a little, no strike that, a lot confusing.

1. The first one being (no prizes for guessing) petrol vs hatchback dilemma. I figured that I would drive atleast 50 kms/day and should look at a diesel. Armed with a budget of Rs. 5.5 lacs, I started my research on the available options and shortlisted the Figo, Grande Punto and Swift. However, my brother-in-law put things in perspective when he said that maybe the maintenance costs between a diesel and petrol are not glaringly huge these days but the discipline of scheduled servicing is definitely something a diesel car demands more than petrol. That sealed it for me, it had to be a petrol. This is about the time I started lurking on Team-BHP forums and I realised that for my kind of usage a petrol car would not be a bad investment. However, in the process I had stretched my budget to around 6 lakhs.

2. Now came the Rupees-Six-Lacs question...which petrol car to buy? My options and corresponding thought process were:

Maruti Swift: Fits the budget, has proven record (if the number of them on the streets and waiting period are anything to go buy), Maruti’s much talked about *** and low maintenance costs. So, what was stopping me? Even though everytime I have been in a Swift, I have liked the car immensely, but for some inexplicable reason I have never been able to think of myself buying one. I am weird like that! Also, it has been around for sometime and there are just too many of them everywhere. However, this car was the thinking-with-my-head-car. Considered and had TDed friend’s car.

Maruti Ritz: I know it’s a better performer among the petrol cars but I am not a great fan of the car’s rear. So, not even considered.
Ford Figo: Was not too convinced about the petrol variant. Considered initially but not TDed.

Grande Punto: The petrol variant didn’t have great reviews and was sceptical about *** and poor interior plastic quality. Also, from what I hear GP is an enthusiast’s car and I don’t really think I fit the bill. Considered but not TDed.

Nissan Micra: Again a good petrol car and again rejected purely because of looks. Not considered.

VW Polo: I really love the way the car looks. I agree it’s not a scorcher but is definitely very well defined and nicely proportioned. The car had decent reviews. Considered, almost requested for a TD but the waiting period made me look elsewhere.

Honda Jazz: Over my budget. Period.

Hyundai I10: I was going through a no-Hyundai-car-for-me phase because of the previous service experience. But, then I didn’t have too many options left. And, there are more than two authorized service centres in town, innit? TD’ed the car and absolutely loved it. Fun to drive, responsive engine and boy-oh-boy is the new generation I10 loaded. The I10 threw Swift out of reckoning.

Hyundai I20: A car that I loved since the day I first saw it. Everytime I saw an I20 on the road my eyes twinkled. I fell more in love with the car the day I first test drove it. Had enough power for my needs, the steering was butter smooth and apt for city driving and bundled with all those nifty features. Budget stretched by another 50k for the I20 Sportz.
The final shootout was between the I10 and I20. I had read all about I20’s various issues (underpowered, steering rattle, underperforming AC, dead steering etc. etc.) but hey, every car has its own share of problems right? I didn’t want to buy another car and sigh everytime an I20 passed by. So, throwing caution to the winds, I decided I20 it will be.

By now, the budget was stretched to almost 7 lacs for the Asta variant. ABS assumed importance after a narrow escape in my Santro on the Devanahalli stretch. Also, I had not driven the old car too much on the highway earlier doesn’t mean I never will.

3. Which color do you choose? Heck! I like all the colors this car comes in! Paused to think of the inevitable future scratches on the car, courtesy Bangalore traffic and (ahem!) ever obliging rick, buses and motorcyclists, the darker shades was ruled out. Of the lighter shades, white I did not want for myself, silver was ruled out because my Santro was of the same color. So, Silly Beige it was. A color that was totally growing on me.

4. Finally, it was the calendar dilemma. Having zeroed in on the car in November, I paused to think if year end was the best time to buy the car. Wouldn’t it be better if I bought the car in early 2011? This however was solved easily with the responses to my question on this thread.

Victory!
Old 20th December 2010, 00:46   #11
BHPian

Mirror Mirror, show me the best dealer in town:

You wish! I called up almost all the dealers in Bangalore and the initial interactions were extremely pleasant and professional. After speaking to all dealers, I had a fair idea of what the offers (!) were.

I do not enjoy the negotiation process so, I selected two dealers and pitted them against each other. After some initial negotiations, I gave them a deadline of December 6 and said whoever gives me the best offer on that day will get the booking money on December 8. The sales representative from Trident came thoroughly prepared and gave me a list of freebies and standard price minus insurance. The representative from another dealer came in the evening and offered fewer freebies and walked away in a huff when I mentioned what Trident had already offered saying they will not be able to match it.

However, after 24 hrs., I got a call from his colleague who said that they might match Trident’s offer. I said not interested after how the other guy reacted the previous evening. (All I had told him was what Trident had offered and how I completely understand if his company cannot match it. His behavior was uncalled for.). The colleague apologised on the other guy’s behalf but I was firm. I got a call again next morning from the same guy and he said that they will better Trident’s offer in value by Rs. 2,500. I thanked him and said, Rs. 2,500 does not undo unprofessional behaviour and I am on my way to book the car with Trident.

I have been very happy with my overall experience at this dealership and the sales executive has been very pleasant, professional and kept his end of the commitments.
Old 20th December 2010, 01:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats manz, with your username I thought you would buy a Manza

There are always some loonies out to ruin our buying experience. there are so many that we have no option but to ignore them. its great that you went ahead with your choice and discouraged such behaviour.
enjoy the new addition to your garage and upload your pics soon!
Old 20th December 2010, 09:14   #13
BHPian

Thankee selfdrive! You crack me up! I never made the manz and Manza connection.

Pity I20 doesn't throw up too many options for a name!
Old 20th December 2010, 09:39   #14
BHPian

Counting the beans:

This was the final deal on the car:

Ex-Showroom price : Rs. 580,554

Road Tax : Rs. 89,407

Insurance : Rs. 0 (Free)

Delivery Charges : Rs. 5,500

OTR Price : Rs. 6, 75,461

Extended Warranty : Rs. 3,785

Total : Rs. 6, 79,246

Exchange Price for my old Santro: Rs. 1.20 lacs

Freebies: Reverse parking sensor, Garware sunfilm, car cover, mudflaps, floor mats, car perfume, mobile charger, Teflon coating (I refused)

Last edited by manz : 20th December 2010 at 09:50.
Old 20th December 2010, 10:05   #15
BHPian

Congratulations. Welcome to the i20 Silky Beige club. I20 with free insurance is a pretty good deal. Booked i20 sportz for my friend last week, without any offer. :(((

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks