Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 13:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scratching the itch - Grey Toyota Fortuner

You are incredibly lucky to get the SUV so fast. Not so many places have that privilege.

A friend of mine went to the dealer to get the SUV, with around 2 Lakhs extra for under the table stuff, but was politely refused. Maybe higher amounts of money are going under the table ;-)
Old 30th December 2010, 15:14   #17
BHPian

As i pointed out, I did not get any accessories or pay any extra amount than what was written on the invoice by toyota and registration.

My assumption is that the original owner did not want the car year ending, or did not like the color. I guess I got lucky, and did not put much thought behind how or why I got the car this quickly. Now i feel bad, wondering whether I took someone elses allotment, but not sure how this would have benefitted any party, since there was no additional payment.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:39   #18
BHPian

Congrats tvrspeed12 on this buy!!! Fortuner is an awesome SUV. Surprisingly its fun to drive on the city roads too!!! The braking is also very effective and you feel equally confident while braking as you feel while ripping her. Great steadiness on highways. Din't get any chance to do off-roading. Do share your experiences when you take her off-road.

Incidentally, even I experienced similar issue of getting the delivery much before the scheduled date with my recent purchase of Hyundai i20. I was told that some customer had cancelled his booking, and instead of cancelling the order, they transferred it on my name. I was little skeptic with this reason, and did a thorough PDI before signing the invoice. But fortunately there was absolutely no issue with it.

Congrats again for the Fortuner. Post the pics soon.
Drive Safe.
Old 31st December 2010, 18:38   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Fortuner, Tvrspeed. It's my favourite . I love the looks, robustness and torquey diesel. They say, Toyota body-on-frames outlast their owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrspeed12 View Post
I guess I got lucky, and did not put much thought behind how or why I got the car this quickly. Now i feel bad, wondering whether I took someone elses allotment, but not sure how this would have benefitted any party, since there was no additional payment.
No need to feel bad. DSAs have multiple bookings for their own (future) customers. No one has been short-changed for your delivery.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

Follow Anshuman's advice, you should be fine. I went upto 3K rpm once or twice within the first 2000 km (couldn't resist), but tried to vary the RPMs. Took it for a long drive within the first 1000 km - wanted to finish the running in period fast.

I have got used to the bumpiness and the brakes. She is great on the highway, as you will see. Have fun and drive safely!
Old 1st January 2011, 23:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Congratulations!

Follow Anshuman's advice, you should be fine. I went upto 3K rpm once or twice within the first 2000 km (couldn't resist), but tried to vary the RPMs. Took it for a long drive within the first 1000 km - wanted to finish the running in period fast.

I have got used to the bumpiness and the brakes. She is great on the highway, as you will see. Have fun and drive safely!
Thanks Nilanjan,

I went through your entire review with your car and that kind of inspired me to get mine! Even though I will probably never stray off the beaten path like you do, it's very comforting to have a car that can keep up if I ever need to.

Took the car to Amby valley for a day, put a few miles on it. Car feels a lot more "run-in" or smoother. Maybe I have just gotten used to it...

I'm at the 800km mark, should I schedule an oil change at 1000km?
I have read a whole bunch of conflicting information.
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:05   #22

Hi. i got delivery of my silver colour Fortuner 15 days back. Had some contacts, so managed to get it within 2 days of booking. Great machine. Took a long time deciding. Test drove the Pajero, Endevour, and Outlander before closing on it. The solid look n feel and Toyota brand-name worked in its favour.
Old 27th February 2011, 02:34   #23
BHPian

Just an update

the Beast has done 3000 km tonight. the only modifications it has from stock are Xenon headlamps. They make a world of difference to the visibility at night, the killer looks are a bonus.

Completely in love BTW. Yes, its not as refined, or convenient or an automatic when compared to other cars. But its got character. I like workhorses too, and this seems like it will outlast me.

All in all, still very pleased with my decision.
Old 28th February 2011, 17:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good going!

Can you share more information (specs, wiring changes, appx cost etc.) about the Xenons? I am thinking of changing my stock lights...
Old 27th July 2011, 16:23   #25
BHPian

A long overdue picture, this was from the beginning of the monsoons. When this picture was taken, this was more "bad roading" than Offroading, but the situation has since changed. The approach roads have become slushy because of the ridiculous rains, leading even a jcb to get stuck.

Needless to say, I am trying to find time to go back before the condition improves!

I have some more pictures that i have taken since, will share them soon too.

What can i say about the car so far? 10,000 painless, problem free km. There was a tiny issue with the reversing sensor (it stopped sensing). But a quick trip to the toyota dealership near my house rectified that.

Other than that, i've driven the car hard, fast and over bad roads at good speeds. Not a squeak nor rattle. Carried friends, family and luggage on 4-5 hour road trip with no sign of fatigue on anyone.

With the 10,000 km service behind me, i was advised to bring it in to the workshop every 5000 km to get an oil change. Any expert advice? Any other advice to ensure the long term health and vitality of my car?

There are some pretty active fortune owners on this board now, so I am eagerly awaiting their views.

Also, @Nilanjanray: sorry for the ridiculously late response. I did not realize i had a reply to my previous post. I am using p8 xenons. I have exact costs and spec on file somewhere, let me dig it out and share it if you are still interested. Experiences with the xenon have been mixed. They look great, in my opinion. However, they aren't as bright as i thought they would be. It's not too bad, I have driven on the expressway at night without a problem. I just expected more from these xenons.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratching the itch - Grey Toyota Fortuner-img2011060500020.jpg  

Last edited by tvrspeed12 : 27th July 2011 at 16:25. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:13   #26
BHPian

50,000 km in. No issues. Nothing to report. Everything working as it is supposed to. Im even on my first set of tyres!

Car is now used for weekly farmhouse runs and is putting on miles fast. Roads are bad, car is usually running fully loaded with at least 5 people, tons of luggage and on occasion my dogs.

I have fallen deeply in love with this car. Off to give it some TLC and TASC.
tvrspeed12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks