Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:45   #1
BHPian

Scratching the itch - Grey Toyota Fortuner

For a long time, for various reasons, I have wanted to get myself a proper SUV.
Call it a syndrome of driving on the *smooth* roads of Mumbai, or that I am building a farmhouse on the outskirts, or the fact that I am a childish person and the fortuner looks cool.

Be that as it may, Outlander was looked at, enjoyed, and then quickly thrown out the window. Even though the outlander ticked all the boxes and made the most sense, I booked the fortuner immediately. Luckily, because it is probably end of year and I got the car from out of state, I am getting delivery tommorow, Which is less than a week since i booked it! No extra payment under the table, no extra accessories, nothing. I am a happy man.

Quickly skimming over why the outlander was not chosen:
1) Brand is a lot less powerful in India, and I dont mean because of its image. It has no hot sellers in India, and I have a friend who waited 2 months to replace a wing mirror on his cedia because of lack of parts.
2) I dislike the looks of the outlander, especially around the grill.

That said, the Outlander offered more equipment, and importantly, a better music system. This is being remedied on my fortuner.

I plan to replace the stock headunit on the fortuner with the JVC 836 double din touch screen unit, unless someone can make a compelling arguement otherwise. Leaving the speakers stock for now, because all i really care about is that my ipod can be connected.

Would this void the warranty on the car?

Also, I need to get tints on all windows and windscreen. Any reccomendations? is 10-15k a good budget for the tints?

Will post pics and a detailed ownership report once i get the car, hopefully tommorow!
Old 28th December 2010, 15:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Scratching the itch - Grey Toyota Fortuner

So, After 3 days of drivings, I can finally share my impressions.

1) The car is HUGE. I did not realize quite how big till i stood face to face with it. A whole size larger than the outlander in look and feel. Whereas the x1 is about as tall as my accord, the outlander towers over pretty much everything.

2) Very easy to drive. Steering is light, brakes are fine, clutch and gearbox smooth.I got used to it immediately.

3) The ride is terrible. The tyre pressure was cranked all the way up to 50psi when i got it. Even at 30psi, the ride quality isnt great.

4) interiors are fine. Nothing great, but a pleasant place to be. Stock audio is a lot better than expected, so putting off the ICE change for now.

5) 4 wheel drive system is great! Driving over loose gravel, often on a construction site, car feels more planted and stable than anything else I own.

Overall, very pleased. The pluses outweigh the minuses in my mind. The ride isnt great, but I enjoy driving it nonetheless.

Now questions :-
1)What is the appropriate running in procedure for this? The manual says that it doesnt require an elaborate running period, just drive it gently for 1000km etc. Any specific rev limit i should impose on myself?

2) What should my service schedule for this be? First service at 1000km, and then? Usually my cars are left to their fate and serviced when the friendly garage calls and schedules something. The merc is taken care of better, and i want to start taking a more proactive approach to maintaining my machines.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, any questions re the car that I have not covered are welcome.

I have not attached any pics, mostly since I have nothing new to add!
Old 28th December 2010, 15:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations tvrspeed12 on your new acquisition!

For tints check out V-Kool near the Juhu Aerodrome. The number is 022 26186501. I have installed this on the front + side and rear glass on my Civic and have felt the difference in the heat rejection/ac cooling.

About the ride being hard - did you not take a test drive before/while booking it to ensure this is what you wanted?

Cheers!
Old 28th December 2010, 15:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations tvrspeed12 on your new acquisition!

For tints check out V-Kool near the Juhu Aerodrome. The number is 022 26186501. I have installed this on the front + side and rear glass on my Civic and have felt the difference in the heat rejection/ac cooling.

About the ride being hard - did you not take a test drive before/while booking it to ensure this is what you wanted?

Cheers!
Sorry, forgot to mention - I have already tinted all windows and front windscreen with v-kool. Got this done at the authorized v-kool guy at Dadar. Very efficient and am so far happy with his work.

And nope, did not really take a test drive or really sit in the car until I took delivery. This was a heart before head situation, and the reviews on team-bhp along with the solid looks made the decision for me.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:46   #5
BANNED

I would recommend an oil change a bit earlier than what is recommended in the manual especially for its first service.

Also, please post a few good pics of your vehicle even if you do not feel that it is unique.
Old 28th December 2010, 16:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations tvrspeed12!! Most manufacturers recommend not to exceed 3/4th of the engine speed(3k) during run in period but personally i try to keep the car below 2.5k and avoid running the engine at the same speed continuously for long. Running in does not require much effort, just take it easy for first 2000kms.
Old 28th December 2010, 17:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Congratulations tvrspeed12!! Most manufacturers recommend not to exceed 3/4th of the engine speed(3k) during run in period but personally i try to keep the car below 2.5k and avoid running the engine at the same speed continuously for long. Running in does not require much effort, just take it easy for first 2000kms.
Thats what I've been trying to do so far. Doesn't take much effort?! Its a huge effort not to put my foot down!
Old 29th December 2010, 01:03   #8
BHPian

Congrats tyrespeed21 on your new acquisition. Toyota Fortuner is a wonderful SUV and i am sure your would enjoy its drive every day.

Now question is, how did you get the vehicle in one week?? Here in Chennai waiting period is more than 8 months and dealers have stopped taking any bookings.

You can share some of the business tricks so that it would help us
Old 29th December 2010, 10:39   #9
BHPian

A review without pics is just like a cake without icing .Anyway congrats buddy on the mammoth fortuner.Any off road plans?
Regards
SHK
Old 29th December 2010, 17:38   #10
BHPian

Getting delivery was surprisingly easy.

All my cars go to the same garage ( Kaar Nexus) in Mumbai, with whom we have a very close relationship now. I informed him that i was considering an SUV, he recommended fortuner and i left it at that.

A couple of days later, he messaged me that there were 2 available in stock with a friend of his, direct from showroom. He put me in touch with a direct sales agent, whom i paid the full amount after confirming the color and delivery date. He immediately sent me the vin no etc. The car left from hyderabad on a trailer and was with me the day after it landed in the city. Still on temporary plates, plan to get it registered in jan. Essentially, this all happened without much input/expectation from my end. I was lucky!

I definitely have off-road plans, but have no real experience of doing so. I did a little off roading in NZ and some in lonavala when I had a scorpio, but dont have any idea about the good spots near Mumbai.

I do have a Farmhouse coming up, and the "roads" around it are great for a spot of fun. Still, letting the car run in first. It already has 400km on the clock.

Finally, I will put up pictures soon, since that seems to complete a proper review.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes.
Old 29th December 2010, 19:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrspeed12 View Post
Getting delivery was surprisingly easy.
Lucky you, since when i enquired about the vehicle, i was told that the booking is closed & waiting is 9 months minimum !!!
Old 29th December 2010, 19:44   #12
BANNED

Surprising. This seems like the sales agent had two vehicles which were booked by someone else but not taken by them. There is still a waiting period of around 6 months for the Fortuner.

Can you share the cost break up please.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:05   #13
BHPian

Congratulations tvrspeed12. Fortuner is a nice buy. And that too getting it so easily is further icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Lucky you, since when i enquired about the vehicle, i was told that the booking is closed & waiting is 9 months minimum !!!
I think some poor soul will get his/her car delivered a little bit late further.
Old 30th December 2010, 12:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
I think some poor soul will get his/her car delivered a little bit late further.
That is the reason i dont want to jump the queue. Also, I dont want to pay an unnecessary premium to an already over priced fortuner.
Old 30th December 2010, 12:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

mate you are really lucky to have a fortuner in such short notice!! I love this car and grey is my FAV color!! Why dont you put some nice pics??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks