Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 15:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen4554 View Post
Yes i stay near vijaynagar club road .!

Unless you demand you dont get anything !!! If the owner was quiet the issue would have been whisked off..
Hmmm club road.. we were staying there for more than 10 years before shifting to Nagarbhavi and we meet here on T-BHP. Thats the beauty of it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzapzoom View Post
congrats anantu
captiva was is on my wish list and was putting it off due to new model being launched in 2011 and i am not in hurry..
the best thing i like is, its well propotioned exteriors, surprisingly its spacious from inside, and it suffices my requirment of occasional 7 seater too.
however your review makes me feel i should go for it now, one more reason being even if the new model comes in, it will be some time before they launch auto version going by indian way of car launch..
enjoy the beauty.
Yes people in the showroom have no clue on when the new model is arriving and most likely it'll only be in 2011 diwali. Better go for it now.

I'm liking the interiors more and more as the days pass. The sun roof is an amazing thing, lets you feel fresh air without changing your hairstyle' if you know what i mean
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
hey anuntu2001,
Your new car looks great! really good decision.
Enjoy your car and drive safe.
Cheers.
Thanks DMehta.
Old 29th December 2010, 18:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. Seeing what you did, i think i should have also pushed them into getting me the under seat tray.
Old 29th December 2010, 18:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi, after using the car now, how do you feel is the AC performance in the rear seats, more importantly, the third row seats?

Is the cooling good enough behind?
Old 30th December 2010, 09:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Hmm. Seeing what you did, i think i should have also pushed them into getting me the under seat tray.
I think its a very useful storage space. Go for it, because unless you demand, we get only peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hi, after using the car now, how do you feel is the AC performance in the rear seats, more importantly, the third row seats?

Is the cooling good enough behind?
Will be posting that in my 500 km update in a while Sir.
Old 30th December 2010, 10:28   #50
BHPian

Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva! 500 KM UPDATE

Here is a quick update on the vehicle after completing 500 kms.

After driving petrol vehicles for so many years, the first thing that comes to mind after starting a diesel engine is the sound and vibrations initially. But thats OK, once you start moving, all that vanishes and the power is very addictive. The TURBO-GAME starts. Its like - start the engine, go slow till around 1800 rpm and floor the accelerator!! Man that power surge is insane. What on Earth would have people done without the TURBO?? Difficult to imagine. Anyway I'm rambling and let me just give you all a quick brief on how the vehicle is behaving.

Handling: For an SUV of this size, I would say the handling in pretty OK. Of course there is some body roll, but its tolerable. After driving Civic, body roll seems prominent in Captiva but its a big vehicle and its bound to happen since the CG is higher. At slow speeds, you can feel few bigger potholes on the road but as speed increases you won't feel a thing. Steering is very very light (not to my liking though) at slow speeds and gradually weighs up as speed increases but still not up to the mark. Civic was much much better.

AC: People have asked me about the missing vents in the middle and rear seats. Its not that intolerable. Middle row occupants have no problem at all actually. There is sufficient throw from the front AC vents and there are vents under the front passenger seats that are big enough. Of course I agree that the last row occupants will feel uncomfortable for a few initial minutes, but with the SUN ROOF, blasts of fresh air comes in to give some instantaneous relief

SPACE: 3 people can comfortably sit in the middle row with quite some gap between their shoulders (at least thats what I observed). Unfortunately, with the rear seats in position, there is very little space for all the luggage. Will put up pictures in some while to show you what I'm talking about.

COMFORT: The front row seats are really good with excellent under-thigh support. The driver seats has lumbar adjustments to make the "trip" more comfortable. The under-thigh support in the middle row is average and the seat recline is kind of OK only. Manageable though. Last row is strictly for short people and the seats themselves are surprisingly comfortable.

We're still in the "running in" period and have not crossed 2500 rpm. At 80 kmph, the rpm will be hovering around 2000 rpm and that says it all. There is still so much power left to be tapped but then that'll happen after our first servicing. Will be posting some pictures soon of the third row seats and the space available.

PS: I know comparison with Civic is not right, but its inevitable. That was my last car and comparisons are bound to happen.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy always loved the Captiva from the time i saw it in Kodai some 3 years back. Like the exterior which gives it a solid built look. Any trips on the highway so far to throw some light on its behavior on good and bad Indian highways?
Old 30th December 2010, 15:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the late response.

Fantastic choice! I always preferred the looks of Captiva to most other in its class.

Fortuner is the BEST looking of all, but only the exteriors. The moment you enter inside, you feel like where has all that awesomeness gone? IMHO, Fortuner has got quite boring interiors.

Endeavour looks sturdy, rowdy, powerful beast. But thats it, it looks a mini truck to me, box-shaped.

Captiva has got those curves all around which makes it looks graceful amongst others.

Chevrolet cars always had and have very good interiors, be it Beat or Captiva. Just that Chevy cars dont get the hype like others.

Congrats again.

Enjoy the Captivating beauty and drive safe, always.
Old 30th December 2010, 17:07   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Congrats on your buy always loved the Captiva from the time i saw it in Kodai some 3 years back. Like the exterior which gives it a solid built look. Any trips on the highway so far to throw some light on its behavior on good and bad Indian highways?
Thanks motomaverick. Not so much highway driving as yet. Only twice i've taken it to Tumkur and as you might know the road is pretty good. Handling is nice and the best part is the driving position. Sitting high up definitely boosts confidence levels. We are planning to go to Jog/Sagar/Shimoga once the running in period is over. Will keep you guys updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Sorry for the late response.

Fantastic choice! I always preferred the looks of Captiva to most other in its class.

Fortuner is the BEST looking of all, but only the exteriors. The moment you enter inside, you feel like where has all that awesomeness gone? IMHO, Fortuner has got quite boring interiors.

Endeavour looks sturdy, rowdy, powerful beast. But thats it, it looks a mini truck to me, box-shaped.

Captiva has got those curves all around which makes it looks graceful amongst others.

Chevrolet cars always had and have very good interiors, be it Beat or Captiva. Just that Chevy cars dont get the hype like others.

Congrats again.

Enjoy the Captivating beauty and drive safe, always.
Thanks Ajay. +1 to what you have said. In fact when we bought Spark, we had Test Driven the Santro also. I felt the santro was ok, but after I TD'd the Spark I felt so much better with the nice interiors that I instantly said this is it, this is our small car. It has a surprisingly peppy engine too. As of now, I'm quite happy with Chevrolet.

And ya you don't need to be sorry. We still have completely not realised that we have bought a new car

Last edited by anantu2001 : 30th December 2010 at 17:10.
Old 30th December 2010, 17:40   #54
BHPian

Congrats Man for this car but more for taking those people to task and getting the AC vent installed in glove box. These sales people will say anything to sell their car and such small things can become big reasons affecting your buying decisions.
Old 31st December 2010, 06:58   #55
Team-BHP Support

Late to the join the party, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Good choice, and I have to say that this is the only car I like from the Chevrolet stable.
Do you know if the top end model also have a Sun-roof, or its only for the xtreme variant? And your car have 17" alloys?
Old 31st December 2010, 09:41   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Anantu ! My friend recently bought a Captiva [a week or so back]. He also had a look at the Fortuner and told me that he felt like getting into an Innova and didnt even TD - just walked out of the showroom. And yes, he was bowled over by the power [he has a petrol lancer] and was telling me that the steering just slips out of hand.

I don't think he also got any discounts. And looks like the showroom guys mentioned a maintenance rate of 41,000/- for 1 lakh kilometers which is 41 paise per kilometer ! Now that looks quite promising !

Wish you miles of safe and happy motoring.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghBHP View Post
Congrats Man for this car but more for taking those people to task and getting the AC vent installed in glove box. These sales people will say anything to sell their car and such small things can become big reasons affecting your buying decisions.
Thanks SinghBHP for sharing your thoughts. Yes it was quote annoying that after all the build up they said the feature is withdrawn. I became furious in seconds

Slightly OT: Nice and interesting handle. Suits T-BHP very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Late to the join the party, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Good choice, and I have to say that this is the only car I like from the Chevrolet stable.
Do you know if the top end model also have a Sun-roof, or its only for the xtreme variant? And your car have 17" alloys?
Thanks vb-san. Yes 17" alloys are standard across all variants. What is not standard is the Sun-roof. It only comes with the Xtreme variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Congrats Anantu ! My friend recently bought a Captiva [a week or so back]. He also had a look at the Fortuner and told me that he felt like getting into an Innova and didnt even TD - just walked out of the showroom. And yes, he was bowled over by the power [he has a petrol lancer] and was telling me that the steering just slips out of hand.

I don't think he also got any discounts. And looks like the showroom guys mentioned a maintenance rate of 41,000/- for 1 lakh kilometers which is 41 paise per kilometer ! Now that looks quite promising !

Wish you miles of safe and happy motoring.
Thanks swiftnfurious. The interiors along with the waiting period for the Fortuner was the deal breaker. Regarding the maintenance cost, yes, thats what they claim in the manual and the brochure. Now have to see in reality whether it works out. We are now getting a FE of about 10 kmph which I think will improve after first servicing.

Between, if possible can you check with your friend if he has got the Cooled glovebox feature??
Old 31st December 2010, 12:20   #58
BHPian

Congrats Anant, for becoming a part of the very exclusive Captiva owner's club
I've owned this baby for over two years now. I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Man that power surge is insane. What on Earth would have people done without the TURBO??
Take the badboy on the highway and you'll know what this really means. Downshift and overtaking is a cakewalk. I actually had a great time chasing a 730ld the last time

Quote:
AC: Of course I agree that the last row occupants will feel uncomfortable for a few initial minutes
This is the sorest point. Come Delhi summers and you'll feel flustered as to how a auto manufacturer could give extra vents for such a big vehicle a pass. The A/C I must say is powerful and effective. The conundrum though is, blast it and the first row freezes, slow it down and the third row melts

Quote:
SPACE: Unfortunately, with the rear seats in position, there is very little space for all the luggage.
You can either carry luggage or seat 7 people. A carrier is a must for long trips.
Quote:

COMFORT: The front row seats are really good ...
For longer journeys the front row is the place to be. You sway too much in the middle row. The last row though cramped offers surprisingly good ride quality

Rotate the tires regularly, it eats up the front ones faster. And dont rely on the fuel economy you see on the MID. Mine is always way off the real figures.

Have fun, drive safe - indulge yourself in the turgo and freedom from the roads
Old 31st December 2010, 14:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhpreet View Post
Quote:
Congrats Anant, for becoming a part of the very exclusive Captiva owner's club
I've owned this baby for over two years now. I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.
Thanks for your wishes prabhpreet.

Quote:
Take the badboy on the highway and you'll know what this really means. Downshift and overtaking is a cakewalk. I actually had a great time chasing a 730ld the last time
Yes waiting for the running in period to get over. Then it'll be a blast.

Quote:
This is the sorest point. Come Delhi summers and you'll feel flustered as to how a auto manufacturer could give extra vents for such a big vehicle a pass. The A/C I must say is powerful and effective. The conundrum though is, blast it and the first row freezes, slow it down and the third row melts
Here the sun-roof comes in handy for us. Just open it and we have tons of fresh air gushing in.

You can either carry luggage or seat 7 people. A carrier is a must for long trips.
For longer journeys the front row is the place to be. You sway too much in the middle row. The last row though cramped offers surprisingly good ride quality

Quote:
Rotate the tires regularly, it eats up the front ones faster. And dont rely on the fuel economy you see on the MID. Mine is always way off the real figures.
Wow never knew this. Thanks for the advice. By the way what mileage are you getting?? We checked the mileage using full tank method and we got around 9.8 kmpl. The MID was showing 9.7 litres/100 kms, i.e., 10.3 kmpl.

Have fun, drive safe - indulge yourself in the turgo and freedom from the roads
Please do share your experience also.
Old 31st December 2010, 17:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Anant and thanks for sharing the pics. It looks great.

Just curious.. Was TATA Aria not in the contention during the buying process :-)

Cheers,
Amit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks