Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2014, 10:52   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear trailblazin, when you can please share your actual user experience of the XC60, Thanks.

I am almost done with the ownership review and would be posting it soon. Just uploading some pictures to make it a little more informative for readers. Stay tuned!
trailblazin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 16:44   #62
BHPian

re: 2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Dear trailblazin, when you can please share your actual user experience of the XC60, Thanks.
This is the link to the initial ownership review for my XC60 D5 Summum - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ummum-awd.html. I hope it is helpful for you.
trailblazin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 10:45   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo have been good enough to lend me a XC60 for a week to drive around on my daily chores and get some real exposure to the cars. This was the result of some raffle. I have asked for the XC60 and V40 for 3 to 4 days each. Will share my experience.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 17:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Volvo have been good enough to lend me a XC60 for a week to drive around on my daily chores and get some real exposure to the cars. This was the result of some raffle. I have asked for the XC60 and V40 for 3 to 4 days each. Will share my experience.
That is amazing! I never knew that dealers would actually lend their vehicles for a couple of days!! Volvo seems to be going out of the way to please potential customers. Do let us know what you thought of the vehicles after the trial run.
Old 26th December 2014, 22:19   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazin View Post
That is amazing! I never knew that dealers would actually lend their vehicles for a couple of days .... Do let us know what you thought of the vehicles after the trial run.
Yup I wont tell them I'll be writing on Team BHP otherwise they might change their minds! Actually it is only because of the experiences of brother members on Team BHP that I looked at Volvo as an alternate to Audi and Mercedes. Your well written experience piece helped me a lot too. The XC60 has come quite promptly, this afternoon, as promised. I will write my two bits later this month. My heart is on the XC60 brown colour. They say they have it in stock and are swearing it is not a refurbished test drive unit.
Old 29th December 2014, 20:58   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazin View Post
That is amazing! I never knew that dealers would actually lend their vehicles for a couple of days!! Volvo seems to be going out of the way to please potential customers. Do let us know what you thought of the vehicles after the trial run.
trailblazin, could you help me with a question. I have selected a bronze brown colour for my soon to be AWD D5 Summum XC60. But the dashboard is an all black one and not black & beige as I have seen in your photos and in some other units. Did you also come across these variations. Just checking to make sure I am not getting stuck with a one off piece. Many thanks.
Old 29th December 2014, 21:31   #67
BHPian

Quote:
trailblazin, could you help me with a question. I have selected a bronze brown colour for my soon to be AWD D5 Summum XC60. But the dashboard is an all black one and not black & beige as I have seen in your photos and in some other units. Did you also come across these variations. Just checking to make sure I am not getting stuck with a one off piece. Many thanks.

Just to make sure that we are talking about the same colour, the colour that I opted for is the Rich Java. Is that the same colour that you are selecting?
If that is the case then as far as I know, this particular body colour only comes with an all beige interior option. However, in other body colours, some other options for interiors colours are available.
When I purchased my XC60, we were told that the bronze colour was discontinued for this model. Not very sure if things have changed now. Maybe some pics might help.

The different interior options that I am aware of are - all beige, beige interiors and black roof padding, black interiors and beige roof padding, tuscano brown, all black and I have also seen a combination of brown and black interiors.
trailblazin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 16:44   #68
BHPian

I recently got a D4 Summum. Black exterior with beige interiors.

This is with the new Drive-E engine (181bhp, 8-speed auto). The same combo is also available in R-design trim with some additional features but availability is tight and pricing is on the wrong side of 65L (in Bangalore).

If there is sufficient demand, I can get myself to put in a brief ownership review.
Siva is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 17:17   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva View Post

This is with the new Drive-E engine (181bhp, 8-speed auto). The same combo is also available in R-design trim with some additional features but availability is tight and pricing is on the wrong side of 65L (in Bangalore).

If there is sufficient demand, I can get myself to put in a brief ownership review.
Congratulations! Please do come up with an ownership review for the benefit of other members. We don't have many Volvo ownership reviews here. Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 23:07   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Ordered D5 Summum AWD in Bronze Twilight colour with interiors that are a mix of beige (seats) and black (floor + roof inner lining). Delivery on 3rd January to coincide with our anniversary (don't ask which one as I can't count that far). It's a gift for my much better half [advice for all you 20 and 30 somethings - no matter how long you've been married always lay it on thick with a shovel; it always works]. Volvo have let me drive their test vehicle for 5 days which helped seal the deal and a get a cheque out of my wallet. They have now consented to give me the keys of the V40 too for a few days. I will share my driving review on the XC60 in a week though I doubt I can add much more over trailblazin's comprehensive and well written coverage in another thread.

The few criterion I am specifically test driving for are :-

(i) Smoothness over bumpy roads: Here the experience is excellent. It is much better than my Skoda Superb, noticeably better than the Camry Hybrid I test drove a few months ago and just half a notch below the E-class which I use often from a hired taxi firm.

(ii) Quietness of cabin : Very quiet. Almost as quiet as an E-class [I'm using the E as a reference point as I have a fair amount of riding time in it. Can't say the same for others like the A6]

(iii) Driving: High on torque, gears change rapidly, hence acceleration is good, holds the road beautifully when you slam the brakes at 100 kmph + on a turning road, grips the road in a very real way and I love the muted roar of the engine and the torque-y feel.

The seats for comfort and the music system for quality are both up there. I don't regret not buying the E-class after receiving poor feedback from colleagues and friends. And the India CEO of Volvo Tomas Ernberg replied promptly to all my letters to him.

These are my first impressions using the test vehicle over about 250 kms in the Delhi-NCR area. Photos of the unit I am buying taken as it arrived from their stock yard.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review-img_20141229_121107481.jpg  

2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review-img_20141229_121349297_hdr.jpg  

2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review-img_20141229_121125236.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:19   #71
BHPian

Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review

Congratulations on your purchase! And happy anniversary!! Happy mile crunching and hope you have trouble free years to come with the Volvo. Thanks for your kind words regarding my ownership review!

Last edited by trailblazin : 2nd January 2015 at 09:35.
trailblazin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:28   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes please! We do need a nice detailed ownership with lots of photos. So far the 2 XC60's have been the D5's. Your's is the first D4 so will be interesting to know how it compares with the D5.

Did you get any discounts in Bangalore? Hows does the price of the D4 Summum compare vs the X3 2.0TDI and Q5 2.0TDI both of which are AWD vs the D4 which is only FWD.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:49   #73
BHPian

Here are some pics to start with.

This is probably the angle at which it looks at its best
2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review-img20141227120205.jpg

Belies its size. Looks like S60 from this angle.
2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review-img20141226163531.jpg

The mesmerizing tail lamp cluster
2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review-img20141226195230.jpg

The beige interiors look real classy (as long as maintained well)
2011 Volvo XC60 : Test Drive & Review-img20141226165524.jpg

Some initial impressions
  • Not used to driving such a large vehicle. Still trying to get a hang of it. Width is something that will take time getting used to.
  • Pretty powerful engine. Lots of power once you are past 1700RPM. Excellent cabin insulation. Very refined at highway speeds.
  • 8-speed auto very smooth most of the time. At lower speeds I can feel the shifts, but nothing above 40-50kmph.
  • Eco+ mode makes the car bit sluggish (as expected) but the gear shifts seem smoother than regular D mode.
  • Have not tried Sports mode yet and not sure if its really needed with so much power on tap even in D mode.
  • No paddle shifts in this trim. And its a FWD only which I don't mind.
  • Has Start/Stop feature for fuel saving. Very aggressive implementation but restarts are quite smooth even though its a diesel engine. Can be switched off though as it becomes an irritant in crawling traffic.
  • Both the Instrument cluster and Infotainment screens are of excellent resolution.
  • Sound quality from the standard music system is quite satisfying even though its not a Harmon Kardon as in R-design trim.
  • Buttons will take some time getting used to but once done, navigating the infotainment system becomes a breeze
  • Lots of customizable settings
  • Voice control is superb.
  • Needless to say, seats have excellent comfort
  • Navigation is probably not as good as google maps. It uses HERE maps.
  • Have to get used to parking sensors beeping all the time in Bangalore traffic. No reversing camera in this trim.
  • DRLs are bright. Almost like the old i20. Must be causing discomfort to oncoming traffic.
Siva is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 10:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics to start with.
Thanks for sharing..There is very little information available on Volvo XC 60 ownership in India. Could you share what are the key differences between D5 Summum and D4 Summum.

I have a 2012 XC 90 D5, which so far has been very frugal on maintenance. The 20k kms service, which includes a couple of suspension bushes , in addition to the usual consumables costed 20k.
Rasputin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 15:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Could you share what are the key differences between D5 Summum and D4 Summum.
The spec sheet on Volvo India website has the differences.

Engine - D4 comes with the new Volvo developed 2.0L 4-cylinder engine producing 181 bhp while D5 uses the older 2.4L 5-cylinder 215bhp Ford engine. The new engine architecture supports Eco+ mode with Start/Stop technology. It is supposedly more refined and fuel-efficient. 0-100 times are the same I believe for both.

Transmission - D4 has 8-speed auto (FWD only) while D5 is a 6-speed AWD. Hence D5 can be taken off-road if needed.

Gear shift paddles and Reversing camera are the other key features in D5 that are not available as standard in D4 Summum, apart from a few minor differences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks