Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 23:18   #106
BHPian

Re: Now Thats A Fab New Years Eve - Skoda Fabia 1.6!

Hi Shivir, thats a really nice and informative thread you have got going. I have been following it since quite sometime as Fabia 1.6 is one of the cars under my consideration. The mileage of 5.5l/100km seems too good to be true! After 2500kms, what is the overall mileage you are getting?

There are 3 things which are making me think twice about the Fabia 1.6:

1. Low RPM pickup. Had TDed it. The car sings your tune when you go past 2500RPM in 3rd gear. But to reach there, i felt, its a little bit of a struggle.

2. Mileage. When I had started the car from the dealership, it showed 14l/100km!! Dunno how were they able to achieve such horrible mileage. By the time I finished, it had increased to 10.8l/100km. (Sounds weird, but I was ripping the wheels off). So I dont really know whether the display was functioning properly on that or not.

3. Lack of defogger at the back. Delhi winters - you need it.

Lets see how things finally pan out. But do throw light on the mileage figures and your experience in the stop and go traffic with low end torque.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:19   #107
BHPian

So, I would say that Im getting about 7L/100 KM now.. that averaged out through the 3 months odd that I have had the car. I do drive the wheels of the car and then get stuck in traffic. FE is seriously good and should be the least of your concerns.

On the Low End Torque, I guess thats the sacrifice we make for the sort of power the car churns out. I do drive it in all traffic conditions and have never really found it a problem;while the car labors to 20 KMH it flies after that.

I didn't miss the defogger at all, but then maybe thats just because I park underground at home and at work. But in all honesty, I believe the car is a real bargain at its current price and one that you will enjoy driving. I just clocked 160 yesterday on the highway.
Old 28th March 2011, 12:48   #108
BHPian

I would agree with Shivir on the FE of Fabia 1.6. In around 1800 km driven almost exclusively in Delhi and NCR, I have been getting an average of 7.3 l / 100km with ac on. Tank to tank figures are also similar at 13.5 kmpl. Initial FE figures indicated on dash as you drive off after a two hour stop will be high for for a few seconds, but will come down as you cover about 5 kms.

As far as low end torque is concerned, once you get used to the slightly different accelerator set up, you will have no problem in speeding off from signals. During the TD I too felt initial pick up was sluggish but now I find absolutely no problem in this regard.

Yeah, I missed the rear defogger and wiper in winter / rain. I wish we could retrofit it.
Old 28th March 2011, 13:01   #109
BHPian

Great! Thanks a ton boss. Fabia 1.6 in all honesty seems a very tempting package, more so after your reply. And I think, the low end torque issue might just become a non-issue after i get used to it. The mileage of 7l/100 km is really good. In fact, people have returned similar mileage with their Fabia 1.2. It seems for Fabia (and i guess for Polo too) it is the 1.6 litre engines which offer a better package. The 1.2 on the Fabia and Polo I TDed was neither smooth, nor peppy, nor returning great fuel economy, plus the harsh engine sound.
Old 31st March 2011, 21:24   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post
Fuel economy continue to remain good through most of my driving and have on one occasion hit 5.5 L/100KM, which was quite crazy. Just a slow lazy drive into Delhi!
5.5/100 seems to be a magic number. I got the same efficiency when I drove Bangalore to Chennai and back on the NH4 highway. AC was on throughout but on the lowest fan setting. And while I didn't rip, I was maintaining 110-120 most of the way

If you havent got sunfilm already, I would strongly recommend them. I got a Global midrange sunfilm installed for 3.5k. I went for Global because the specs were better than the equivalent 3M but a thousand cheaper! Huge difference to cabin temp, now my A/C is rarely above fan speed 1. This translates to better fuel efficiency and drivability, paisa vasool!

On the whole my car has given 15 kmpl, but 70% of the mileage so far has been highways
Old 1st April 2011, 09:06   #111
BHPian

In over 1800 km driven exclusively in Delhi, I have been getting FE of 13.5 kmpl on tank to tank method.

Regarding the poor low end torque reported in many reviews, I haven't felt it after I got used to the slightly different accelerator setting. The car can really take off, when you hit the sweet spot on the accelerator even in second gear.

@guha_2001: The glasses are already slightly tinted... Is sun film a must buy? Have you also installed them on the front windshield?
Old 27th April 2011, 16:17   #112
BHPian

@shivir,
where are you buddy? no updates...
looks your Fabia is keeping you busy all the time, of course in a positive way!
Old 28th April 2011, 11:02   #113
BHPian

The Fabs not all thats keeping me busy! But yes, waiting for the 5 K mark to update the thread, however all things seem great so far and the car is still just brill!
Old 14th June 2011, 11:59   #114
BHPian

Ok so we have now hit the 5K mark as man and car and here are my thoughts and some updates to my initial thoughts:

1) Fuel Economy - I had earlier stated that the car was at its most fuel efficient at slightly higher revs but I have noticed thats not entirely the truth (yes yes.. i know you told me so ). I have got a readout of 4.9 L/100KMs keeping the car between 1800 and 2000 revs on a few drives from Delhi to GGN - admittedly on a Sunday afternoon but either way thats still quite brilliant!
2) General Feel - The car continues to be a blast to drive when I choose to push it a bit, but am generally less and less inclined to push it - quiet confidence I call it.
3) Issues - No issues encountered yet (touch wood) though the car has the odd rattle and squeak.
4) Space - Loaded the car up with luggage the other day for a drive to Gurgaon from Panchsheel - 46 inch LED Telly, 2 Lappies, a bag full of clothes and a few other small bags + driver and passenger. No problem on the pulling power of the car or on the space. Yes accommodating the tv forced me push the front seat forward a bit but I still drove the 40 odd clicks in decent enough comfort and at no point was I craving for a stretch. Which means it certainly has plenty of space!

On a general feel if I was to evaluate a decision thats nearly 7 months old and say in hindsight, would I have still chosen it, the answer would still be yes!

But on the flipside, the interiors of the car are a nightmare to maintain. the beige is a dirt magnet and is already looking filthy. The little cubbyholes also need to be cleaned quite regularly.

But I have to say this because it matters to all of us - Air Con is fantastic and it takes about three minutes to cool the car even after parking it in the open for 8 hours through the day.

Let me know in case anyone needs an info that I can help with.

Also just to flog a dead horse a little more- Skoda service is still an unknown and something that keeps me nervous in case something goes wrong (lets hope not)!
Old 14th June 2011, 12:14   #115
BHPian

@shivir: any specific run ins with the skoda service where they have been less than convincing in your case ? i am very close to finalizing the fabia 1.6 but still keeping options open due to service nightmare. any thoughts ?

on a purchase related query: i checked with two dealers for rear speakers one said they would do it for me with warranty intact some jbl speakers and the other said i should get it done outside as their speaker quality wont be good and the warranty will be intact. so im confused what to do ? i remember you were gonna install rear speakers in your car so the query.

Last edited by M00M : 14th June 2011 at 12:37.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:51   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post
Also just to flog a dead horse a little more- Skoda service is still an unknown and something that keeps me nervous in case something goes wrong (lets hope not)!
I strongly recommend you try out Fahrenheit Auto at Moti Nagr, N Delhi for any service requirement. I visited them twice - one for a warranty replacement of front wheel link and the other for an accident repair. Both times they provided excellent timely service.
rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 14:06   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
@shivir: any specific run ins with the skoda service where they have been less than convincing in your case ? i am very close to finalizing the fabia 1.6 but still keeping options open due to service nightmare. any thoughts ?

on a purchase related query: i checked with two dealers for rear speakers one said they would do it for me with warranty intact some jbl speakers and the other said i should get it done outside as their speaker quality wont be good and the warranty will be intact. so im confused what to do ? i remember you were gonna install rear speakers in your car so the query.
Nothing untoward with their service yet so no worries on that front. Its just fear from the stories. They have been nothing but polite every time I have called them or gone to the showroom / service center.

As for the speakers, I haven't had the new ones fitted yet but, I would recommend getting it done at the dealers just for your own peace of mind if nothing else. If you do have it done outside just remember to supervise and ensure no cutting of wires!

@Raj - thanks, will give it a try if the guys at Giriraj don't help! It will defeat the purpose of buying from the closest dealer to have drive to Moti Nagar for any work, but thats a definite back up plan.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:47   #118
BHPian

Hi Shivir,
So finally you updated the thread, I almost believed that all Fabia 1.6 owners are either under-grounded or missing (not sure if there going-on an operation to find out the most risk-takers in partnership with Skoda!), let me clear that I'm just kidding.
Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
M00M, I have inquired the same thing with a dealer here in Pune and the accessory guy even showed me the original Skoda speakers (6") to be fitted on rear-doors. It comes with a set of tweeters (however I really doubt whether the rear speakers do require tweeters?) too. I was interested in knowing the vendor of the speakers (heard somewhere, that it may be from BOSH) but it does not show any such names and just shows Skoda brand logo on it. The guy also promised to fit other branded speakers (jbl, sony, pioneer) without voiding the warranty.
Old 6th July 2011, 22:18   #119
MK3
BHPian

Hi Shivir, my fab 1.2 Petrol Ambientte had done 2000kms, i noticed coolant level is below minimum. Is this normal? For how many kilometers do we need to check and update coolant?
Old 7th July 2011, 11:34   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 View Post
Hi Shivir, my fab 1.2 Petrol Ambientte had done 2000kms, i noticed coolant level is below minimum. Is this normal? For how many kilometers do we need to check and update coolant?
Sorry for hijacking the post. The coolant level should NOT have dipped in the first 2000k kms. Just get the car checked to be on the safer side. The problem may be as simple as a loose cap.
Ideally, you should be checking all the fluids every fortnight to make sure the car performs at it's optimum without surprise failures.
A 15mins check is all it takes to make sure everything is working fine & to get issues\problems fixed before they snowball into bigger one's.
Keep us posted on the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks