Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 13:17   #16
BHPian

Re: i10 Automatic Sportz Kappa 2 - 90 Day Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
I wonder why Hyundai does not fit the car with the louder horn in the first place.

What do you think about the headlights? A lot of people have said that the headlights are not powerful enough and are considering an upgrade
LOL - I asked the same question and was given some lame answer by them that they are trying to curb noise polllution! ... go figure

Upgrading is not a hassle and the factory fit is decent or if you want something a bit more colorful you could try in the car accesories bazaars in your city.

The headlights are good (better than my Wagon-R). infact they are a bit powerful, Most of the time when i set the headlamp leveler toggle to the top most position (even though i am not on high beam), i get a lot of middle fingers and abuses from incoming drivers. I personally feel a upgrade is not required unless you live in a very high smog/fog/dust/rain environment that would help from a safety aspect.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:59   #17
BHPian

I will check the USB/ IPOD option and give you a feedback (I use a creative zen vision W and connect via headphone jack)
Old 9th March 2011, 20:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I will check the USB/ IPOD option and give you a feedback (I use a creative zen vision W and connect via headphone jack)
When you connect via headphone jack, and play the music loud, do you get some sound distortion/interference when you press the horn ? Or is it only my i10 ?
Old 10th March 2011, 06:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
When you connect via headphone jack, and play the music loud, do you get some sound distortion/interference when you press the horn ? Or is it only my i10 ?
Nothing out of the ordinary, Jish. Did you try it with other IPODs and see if your facing the same problem? To be quite frank, i have not done a major deep dive in that area yet, am keeping that for the weekend.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:53   #20
BHPian

I am planning for an automatic i10 or an automatic A-Star. Please advice me which one should I go for and why.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:58   #21
BHPian

Nice review! I have a Santro AT and am very happy with it! Just wished there was more legroom for a guy over 6.3.

However the legroom in a Maruthi Ritz is awesome. Sadly its not available in AT. The day they bring it out in AT, am getting one.!
Old 10th March 2011, 12:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars
I am planning for an automatic i10 or an automatic A-Star. Please advice me which one should I go for and why.
Both cars come with their own pros and cons and your choice would depend on which factors matter to you more.
The following comparo by scuderiaferrari should help you make a decision - he owns an A*-AT, has owned an i10-MT in the past and has driven an i10-AT.

Driving :
i10 Automatic Sportz Kappa 2 - 90 Day Review-01_driving.jpg

Comfort, Convenience & Safety :
i10 Automatic Sportz Kappa 2 - 90 Day Review-02_comfort_convenience_safety.jpg

Interior & Exterior :
i10 Automatic Sportz Kappa 2 - 90 Day Review-03_interior_exterior.jpg

Overall Ownership :
i10 Automatic Sportz Kappa 2 - 90 Day Review-04_ownership_overall.jpg

Given the interest in AT cars today, it would have been good if the above AT-hatch shootout could be put in a new thread, along with inputs from owners of these 2 AT cars.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th March 2011 at 12:49.
Old 10th March 2011, 13:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

No offense, but I feel the comparison is heavily biased towards A-Star. First time my wife saw the A-Star rear, she shrieked in horror. I felt like taking up the sword and wander the land looking for that axeman who chopped off the butt. But, that's us.

However, this is the first comparison I have seen where somebody actually rated A-Star looks over i10 looks.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th March 2011 at 14:51. Reason: typo
Old 10th March 2011, 13:54   #24
BHPian

Here is an interesting story, when i was at Khivraj Motors (Maruti Dealership) to check out the A-star. I was watching an interesting poster on the wall that detailed why A-star is better than i10, there were a lot of differences that they highlighted but not in a functional way but more as a gimmick (i hope). The classic example being:-
They compared the headlights between a-star and i10 and here was the assessment. These are the actual words, i kid you not

"The A-star headlamps are more happy and give a smile , the i10 headlamps give a more evil and villanous appearance as in a dark persona."

The missus and i were laughing our heads off... There were other ones that were equally hilarious but it would be off-topic to this discussion.

Samurai - I agree with you on the comparison, seems a bit biased. Here are my viewpoints on the comparison.

gearbox - I felt the other way around that A-star was more sluggish and is calibrated better in the i10 (Kappa2)

Handling - atbest maybe a same rating, but i disagree that a-star is better. No way

Maneuverability - Ok this is a bit weird. i felt the exact opposite, The only point i felt that the i10 is bad is due to the A-pillar blind spot (i call it a curtain!) compared to other cars, its a compromised visibility. Whenever i turn right, i arch my head way in front (by default now) to get a better look. This is one point which the a-star is actually better than the i10

Safety - The A-star ABS is a winner over i10, but although Safety is paramount, on an AT, i feel the vehicle stability tends to be a bit better than a manual. For example if your on a less friction surface (like rain on road, or sandy/slippery road) and ABS is required, i think the condition for ABS usage will be a bit less in an AT than a manual. Having said that, ABS is a key safety feature and A-star wins in this point.

Fit and Finish - i10 is better
Old 10th March 2011, 13:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
No offense, but I feel the comparison is heavily biased towards i10. However, this is the first comparison I have seen where somebody actually rated A-Star looks over i10 looks.
@Samurai, I guess you meant "biased against the i10" ?

Coming to looks, I find both cars crappy looking from the front but I like the rear of both. Since looks are a major factor when it comes to selecting a car (someone has a thread on this too), and given that i10 sells more than 3-4 times than A-Star, I would think the general public finds the i10 relatively better looking. But I also find some tbhp-ians say that the A-Star looks sportier, while the i10 is bland. To each his own I guess.
Old 10th March 2011, 14:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

SB - I see that the driving rating also is very biased towards A Star. when I took the test drive of both I could clearly see the driving difference between A-Star and i10. i10 completely Blew us over with the power, performance and handling. Someone who says A-Star is a fun to drive car compared to i10 then I am sure he is a A-Star owner. I also own a Maruti but i10 is in a totally different league as compared to A-Star.

Team-BHPians - I would suggest you take the above rating with a huge bucket of salt, take a test drive of both i10 and A-Star AT before you decide on which car to buy. yes i10 is more expensive than A-Star. IMHO A-Star is choice only if budget is a constraint.

Last edited by DieselFan : 10th March 2011 at 14:02.
Old 10th March 2011, 14:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
gearbox - I felt the other way around that A-star was more sluggish and is calibrated better in the i10 (Kappa2)

Handling - atbest maybe a same rating, but i disagree that a-star is better. No way

Maneuverability - Ok this is a bit weird. i felt the exact opposite, The only point i felt that the i10 is bad is due to the A-pillar blind spot (i call it a curtain!) compared to other cars, its a compromised visibility. Whenever i turn right, i arch my head way in front (by default now) to get a better look. This is one point which the a-star is actually better than the i10
For gearbox, we are having conflicting opinions from you and scuderiaferrari. I have not driven an i10-AT - so have no idea.

Regarding handling, I would think that the A-Star has a clear edge based on what tbhp-ian sankar mentioned on some other thread - since he owns both the cars (MT), I would think he would know.

Regarding manouverability, I am not sure I understood your point - you start off saying that you felt the exact opposite ie. i10 is better, but in the end you say, "this is one point where the a-star is better".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan
SB - I see that the driving rating also is very biased towards A Star. when I took the test drive of both I could clearly see the driving difference between A-Star and i10. i10 completely Blew us over with the power, performance and handling.
I think the comparo agrees with you on this and clearly gives i10 the edge in the engine department (i10 is more refined. Less noise. More torquey). And I don't think anyone is debating the fact that i10 is more powerful. For handling, I would think A-Star has an edge, as mentioned above.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For gearbox, we are having conflicting opinions from you and scuderiaferrari. I have not driven an i10-AT - so have no idea.

Regarding handling, I would think that the A-Star has a clear edge based on what tbhp-ian sankar mentioned on some other thread - since he owns both the cars (MT), I would think he would know.

Regarding manouverability, I am not sure I understood your point - you start off saying that you felt the exact opposite ie. i10 is better, but in the end you say, "this is one point where the a-star is better".
Well its my opinion and assessment on the test drive that i found the difference, which has the chance of varying from user to user. Its to the individual person who checks the car and based on what she/he feels.

In the maneruverability column, the user has mentioned and i paraphrase : i10: Better visibility (not as bad as A-star).

I was mentioning that i found the A-pillar blind spot is actually worse in an i10 and is better in a A-star, forcing me to lean quite a bit forward when turning right.

Last edited by moonshine : 10th March 2011 at 21:07.
Old 11th March 2011, 22:55   #29

i10 vs Astar

Ive observed the following pros & cons of i10 AT over Astar :

Pros

1. The VTVT engine(Better performance & FE).
2. O/D option.
3. Better aesthetics(Tear drop headlamp design, Beige & brown interiors).
4. Better legroom in the rear.
5. Powerful A/C(owes to its large 113cc compressor)
6. Best-in-class warranty(2yrs/unlimited kms).

Cons

1. Smaller service network compared to Maruti.
2. Pricing.
Old 12th March 2011, 09:18   #30
BHPian

Re: i10 vs Astar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AravindMelepat View Post

Cons

1. Smaller service network compared to Maruti.
The service network depends on the city you are residing. In Bangalore the service network of Hyundai is as large as the service network of Maruti

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks