Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 06:59   #46
BHPian

Re: i10 Automatic Sportz Kappa 2 - 90 Day Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Dont worry. High end SUVs and 4x4 vehicles sold in other countries are mostly Autos.

However, it is questionable if the Santro/i-10's suspension+body+ride-comfort is suitable for bad roads. They are best enjoyed as city cars.
Thank you,Let me go through other auto threads and read more on them!
Old 5th April 2011, 10:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Learned it from Samurai ^^

2- Gearbox will limit the shifting to 2nd gear. This is for hilly roads where engine breaking is very essential. So even if you rev, gear will shift till 2nd.

1- Similarly stuck to first gear, no shift

D- Will shift all the way up, in santro the OD button has to be engaged or else it will go only till 3rd. Should be the same in i10.
and L for? you menat 1?
Old 5th April 2011, 15:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
D- Will shift all the way up, in santro the OD button has to be engaged or else it will go only till 3rd. Should be the same in i10.
AFAIK, OD is on by default in i10/Santro - so D will shift all the way up to 4th gear. You can make it go up only till 3rd by flicking the OD button, but at the next start, OD will again be on by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29
and L for? you menat 1?
Yeah, L is same as 1st gear, which is what he meant.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Handling - atbest maybe a same rating, but i disagree that a-star is better. No way
We have both cars, i10 Kappa and AStar, at home. After having driven both enthusiastically i have to say that AStar handling is a lot better than i10 (both on stock tyres). Often over a rough patch the i10 would swing its back out and direction changes are crisper with the AStar with very little body roll. AStar isn't a tallboy and its setup stiffer and it shows in its handling.

Quote:
Maneuverability - Ok this is a bit weird. i felt the exact opposite, The only point i felt that the i10 is bad is due to the A-pillar blind spot (i call it a curtain!) compared to other cars, its a compromised visibility. Whenever i turn right, i arch my head way in front (by default now) to get a better look. This is one point which the a-star is actually better than the i10.
Reg the A-pillar i find the AStar's A-pillar design more obstructing than the i10. So much that on a corner it often hides pedestrians and even other hatches. Edit: Maybe this has got to do with each person's seating position.

Last edited by Sankar : 5th April 2011 at 16:15.
Old 6th April 2011, 16:41   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
There is a notion among common man that Automatics are not good for poholed indian roads and villages..Is it a myth?
not true... if at all, it may well be the opposite (as potholed roads could mean more gear shifting)
Old 13th April 2011, 09:51   #51
BHPian

People - I have a request to make. I am getting some messages saying that a-star is better than i10 and vice versa in some other areas.

My recommendation is that please post your driving experiences in the forum. They key moderator (Samurai) has an i10 with his/her comparison and a senior team-bhp member (supremebaleno) has an a-star with his/her assessment.

read their points/threads and please post/ send your comparison on both the cars after your test drives. It would be very helpful for other people in choosing the a-star or i10 at. Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 16:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Messages from whom ? Do you mean PMs ? Please clarify.
Old 26th May 2011, 09:52   #53
BHPian

hmmm. had an annoying experience recently. Driving down the highway and the EPS light suddenly glows on and the steering becomes hard (it is reminiscent of when i learned how to drive in an Ambassador car) to maneouvre.
Got a bit scared as it happened bang in the middle of the highway and when i wanted to shift lanes, i thought i had hit something. Luckily i was relatively close to home and managed to take it over there. (i found out that there is a regulatory law in India that states that even if power assisted steering (Electronic or Hydraulic) fails for any reason, vehicle should be able to have fundamental steering control to drive albeit a bit inconvenient).

Have given it twice already at the service center (fuse check and socket check). it works ok and cuts off again later. apparently after googling "EPS light in hyundai" its a bit of a chronic issue with hyundai. Lets see how it goes (still under warranty)

On to another request from another person, (sorry about the delayed response) IPOD works fine in the provided socket, but it can be connected in any case from the stereo jack outlet as well.
Old 26th May 2011, 10:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmmm. had an annoying experience recently. Driving down the highway and the EPS light suddenly glows on and the steering becomes hard (it is reminiscent of when i learned how to drive in an Ambassador car) to maneouvre.
I had similar experience with my i20 in December last year. The EPS light coming on and steering becoming very tight happened twice on the same night, barely avoiding hitting the road divider( details of the incident here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2178493) .

Repeated requests to send qualified technicians to look at the problem fell into deaf ears. And to add insult to injury, I was asked to drive the car as it is to the workshop( which was 180 kms away).

They know there is a serious problem with their steering system design( steering rattle/EPS malfunction), yet they take these complaints very lightly.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:11   #55
BHPian

yikes! Sounds like you had a nightmare experience. I read the last post about the latest service. Did they replace the EPS motor unit? What was done to fix the issue? Was it under warranty?

Its really difficult for me to drive the car to the service center (the steering is HARD). I cannot drive to work.

V3 Hyundai (Thiruvanmiyur / Chennai) guys have been quite disappointing with their response to this issue. your right. For now, am at their mercy. Sad, i actually thought their After-sales service was very good. Thumbs down
Old 28th May 2011, 09:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was done to fix the issue? Was it under warranty?
Hyundai did noting actually. After the EPS malfunctioned, I stopped driving the car. I wrote many e-mails to Hyundai to send qualified technicians to check on the issue( I knew & the RO knows that those fellows in the Junagadh workshop are a bunch of incompetent who kept on screwing things in my car). But instead, we were being asked to pay up for such a visit by qualified technicians!!! Then I was asked to drive the car as it is with a rock hard steering to the workshop( to Rajkot- 180+ kms away)!!! When I replied who will be responsible if I met with an accident, there was no response!!!!

Things kept dragging on like this for a month when help finally came from a fellow team-bhp member. Details here :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2202169

For almost a month, the car lay stranded in the porch, Hyundai which claimed to be "always all the way" & " caring for you always" were nowhere to be seen, this inspite of such a critical malfunction in the car.
Old 28th May 2011, 09:55   #57
BHPian

The supplier for these poor quality EPS units are from Mando . Think the OEMS should revisit their strategy about these suppliers.

Think we should just move forward and for the next car take hyundai out of consideration. This last month is a pain-in-the-behind..
Old 28th May 2011, 12:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The supplier for these poor quality EPS units are from Mando . Think the OEMS should revisit their strategy about these suppliers.

Think we should just move forward and for the next car take hyundai out of consideration. This last month is a pain-in-the-behind..
I think Mondo has a large presence in Chennai. The chap who visited Junagadh to have a look at my car's steering for the steering rattle was from Mondo, Chennai. Why can't these people just fix up mini-cameras at different places in the steering system and find out what is causing the steering rattle and then work out how to fix it. I don't think they are "game" enough to do it.

Quote:
i found out that there is a regulatory law in India that states that even if power assisted steering (Electronic or Hydraulic) fails for any reason, vehicle should be able to have fundamental steering control to drive albeit a bit inconvenient)
Now I know why Hyundai was so casual when I kept on sending them e-mails requesting help about the EPS malfunction.
Old 4th June 2011, 11:35   #59
BHPian

fix it and it happens yet again!!.... i am sick and tired to going to their service centre (this would be the fourth time btw). I have had the vehicle for just 6 months.

The problem is they fix it and even though the EPS light does not come on for a few days, the steering feels stickier and harder than the original state.

I strongly suspect these V3 Hyundai guys are just trying to mask the EPS light from coming on and hide the problem.
Old 5th June 2011, 13:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you ditch V3 and try another service centre ? Maybe they would do a good job of fixing the issue instead of trying to hide the symptom. You are anyway in warranty - so no worries about cost of repair.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks