Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 17:22   #1
BHPian

All New Polo-1.6 - Selection and Review

With the separation of our 5 year old trusted partner the black beauty Opel Corsa – 1.6 Sail the quest of finding a new car started.
Since we already have Optra Magnum so it was clear that our choice will not be a sedan but will it be a Hatch or SUV? I was in favor of used SUV as I had cursh on Safari but wify was clear that she is not in favor of used vehicle. So the type of vehicle decided - it is going to be a Hatch. Once again love was so near but so far.Criteria set as –
1.Good mid range as every day driving include elevated highway.
2.Stable ,solid with pleasant plastic inside
3.Not so common car
4.Should have all feature of SAIL along with ABS and Air BAG
5.Budget 6 L
6.A petrol CAR as Diesel Rocket is already in Garage
Quest started with test drive -
1.Fabia 1.2 – Test drove the Car found quite satisfactory in terms of performance, good in interior quality but too noisy. So decided to test drive 1.6, during weekend landed at TAFE at Hosur road along with Wify Nicely dressed executive welcome us with eagerness to help us:-). We asked for 1.6 Fab for test drive and here came the reply of millennium “Sir we do not have 1.6 Fab for test drive as people come to test drive just for Fun, no intention to buy.” We asked “how a genuine customer like us will buy?” He didn’t have any answer. In between wifi toss a question to sales executive “Do you think rear is little similar to swift?” Quick reply yes ma’am and Fab was out of equation.
2.Polo -1.6 – Wify was in love on 1st sight so decided to test drive at Elite Motors on Hosur Road. Sales Guy was quite knowledgeable about his car as well as competitor. A nice clean Car was arranged after 10 minutes of waiting, our test drive started toward hosur and took a diversion on Jogani link road, we like the composure on both good and bad road. Since most of the time rear seat is going to be used by KID we were OK with space also. So decided to go for POLO-1.6.
Now this is the time to check delivery timeline and here came the shocker “Sir we need four month to Deliver” Aha no way we can wait so long so once again back to square…
3.Ritz – It is common but still we decided to have a look, we were quite impress with the CAR on our 40 minutes of test drive on elevated highway and some stretch of bad road but rear look was surely a deal breaker.
4.I20 – Had driven friend’s i20 1.2 L many time and was of the opinion that it is a good CAR for city but on highway 1.2 L will not a good option. We felt that the price of 1.4 L is very high and dropped it from the list.
5.Next in the list was Punto -1.4 Emotion PK – No prize in guessing that we adore the CAR from outside and a kind of decided to go after 1st test drive on a Saturday evening. Before booking thought to have one more test drive in day time so we landed at Prerana Motors. Executive was well dress and curtsies but didn’t not like the test drive CAR as it was not clean like a premium hatch and some of the panel inside was missing (like the cover around the ignition). Any way we test drove once again and our verdict was plastic is not as good as it should be for 7 L car if we are buying the base version then Punto is a good option and secondly the dead paddle is making the driving more complicated in this CAR then providing the real comfort. So Punto dream goes in wind
6.Figo- Liked the value proposition but felt 1.2 L petrol will be too much of compromise on power so for Figo we decided to look at Diesel as it was little more then budget. Overall like the CAR and it was surely good to drive but Kid were unhappy as they did not find any provision to open the windows. They were screaming in their full voice “Mom this car does not have windows opening facility.” And Wifi was also not very happy it was like if you think this is the only option then let’s go for but want rear power window. Quickly checked with dealer about the possibilities of after market rear power windows fitment, answer was firm no so dropped this also.
7.Next day morning on 23/02/2011 got a call from Elite motors saying that that they had received some 1.6 Polo and they can deliver the same in a week time. Same day decided to book our Polo but now had a new problem wifi wanted white but they had red and blue (forgot what blue it was). Red was good looking but no as Optra is red. So we decided to check other dealer no body else in Bangalore had 1.6 ready. So we decided to check some other city nearby Bangalore. Called up Volkswagen Mangalore and luckily they had white Polo-1.6, decided to buy the CAR from Mangalore and got the delivery on 15th March with temporary registration.The plan is to get the permanent registration done in Bangalore.The only discount which was available was the corporate discount of 10K
Happy to be the owner of a CAR which we had selected as our 1st choice but this had caused extra damage of around 1.7 L.
Initial Impression during the drive from Mangalore to Karkala (inlaw place) –
Like -
1.Typical German Layout inside built to last and pleasant to see and feel.
2.Easy to find comfortable seating position
3.Big car feel for front passenger and driver
4.Solid midrange good for highway cruising
5.Surprise to see the fuel economy, the meter was indicating 15/l
6.People giving second look to the CAR all the time
Dislike –
1.Limited rear leg room but then we were took the informed decision
2.No dead paddle. I feel there is enough place to fit dead paddle and hence fail to understand why it is missing? Is it required redesign?
3.No AUX/USB port and no remote for music systems. Clear sign of cost cutting
4.Missing rear windows power switch on driver side door. Missing this a lot as only Kid is having the control though child lock switch is available on the front door.
Will have her picture soon.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: All New Polo-1.6 - Selection and Review

Congrats on your selection and lucky to get a 1.6 Polo fast.
The highline 2011 deletes rear power window controls from the driver's side door and shockingly, the earlier highlines also had remote closing of windows in the car's keyless entry system, which has been deleted in the 2011 model, but the electric OSRVM adjustment has been added, not present in the earlier highlines.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2011, 17:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the car! Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads in the Test-Drives section anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete report on the car (the driving experience / comfort / features, what you like, what you don't like etc.). To know more about this rule, and for review guidelines, please view this announcement.

Your thread is temporarily closed. Please report this post once you are ready to update with a complete driving & ownership report; that's when it shall be re-opened. Thanks for your support.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 15:10   #4
BHPian

Hi, I am ready to post my experience with white beauty after having good time with her for 3000 KM. During this period I can sum up the experience with statement “A Car which is addictive in nature more you drive more you like it.”
Before continuing further with my review I would like to congratulate “Mod” for maintaining the quality at Team Bhp (Though that cause sometime closure of your thread but for the larger interest of the community the control is the good thing) and giving the unbiased review. I must say surfing TEAM-BHP is nothing less than addition. Once again thank you for giving us a wonderful forum.
Design - A first look at the Polo and wify decided that this is what we (Decided on behalf of me somebody had said – “after marriage man are just the rubber stamp; who need to accords with the decision) want to buy. Two lines sweeping across the doors and large 15 inch wheel arches add to cars appeal and give it a muscular stance. One area which is probably not looked by the designer is the front wiper, surprisingly you can not lift the right side of wiper without damaging the corner of bonnet (I learnt this after the damage done by washing boy) so one has to be careful while cleaning and if washing boy is responsible for cleaning then better tell him not to lift the wiper. It’s weird
The other item which always haunts me is the dead paddle. It is ridiculous, how come a company like VW miss to provide such an important thing when the other car (read fabia) coming out from same family is having the dead peddle. Need input from expert on –
1.Do VW provide the dead paddle abroad?
2.Is it possible to retro fit the dead paddle?
Interiors and Space- German build and quality is obvious all around which is screaming all the time as if saying look at me “I am built to last”. The plastic inside the cabin feel nice to touch and the central console is neatly layed out. The multifunctional display is simple to use and give tons of information like current/average fuel consumption, Outside Temp, KM to empty the tank.
Rear interior space is not good and it best it can be consider below average but the seat in front is good with excellent seating position and comfortable seat.
Engine – It is addictive in nature and more you drive more you start enjoying. The few things which stuck to me –
1.Car start with little diesel like cranking but settle down immediately after start
2.Have the tendency to stall in 1st gear on speed breaker and slope.
3.Engine is quite rev happy though I had not cross 4000 RPM till now but I am getting the feeling that it will be happy to rev till red line.
4.On 9 Km of elevated highway mileage is surprisingly good at 15.5 Km/l and in city it is at 12.2 Km/l with AC on all time. I think it is great for 1.6 Litter engine
Performance – Well I completed 3000 KM as of now and my observations are it do not have surge of power rather acceleration is very linier and one may not realize the capability while pressing the right leg. The best thing is the 3rd gear which is quite comfortable to start at 30 Km/h and go above 100 km/h without any hassles. CAR may not able to beat Japs/Korean Car on signal but when it comes to cruse on highway then others are no match for Polo-1.6.
Experience at Volkswagen Bangalore near Guruda Mall – I gave my Car for Mudflape and parking sensor fitting after an prior appointment at 11.30 am. Service Advisor was quite prompt in making the service order after cross checking the inventory. He told that car will be ready by 5 Pm; once it is ready he will call me. To my surprise he calls at 4.30 PM and saying that “Sir we could not finish the work as there was some problem at workshop”. We will give you Car tomorrow. I am surprise how a vanilla work takes so much time. Any how I took the delivery same day without getting the work done as I need to commute for 25 Km to reach home. It was not a big issue but somehow it gave me the feeling of unprofessional behavior.
This is taking me to the next question where I need help from fellow Bhpien –
1.Can I get the parking sensor done outside? If any one has got it done then please suggest on brand?
2.What is the suggestion on upgrade of bulb?
3.What fuel premium/normal?
Ride quality – It is probably best in class; which maintain superb composure. Bad road and cornering it take with ease and driver will feel in command all time. Love to be driven hard
Brake – Good on Polo-1.6 with ABS
A/C – Comment by my mother in law after traveling around Karkala (Near Mangalore) in scorching heat “this car is having the best AC”. I go by her observation
Brand Value – VW Logo is for sure carry a good brand value and car is a head turner
Note - Since this is not my primary car the ODO movement is bit slow and hence taking more time to update my experience.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:35   #5

Hey Raaga, Congrats on the new ride...
a Noob query..how different do u think this 1.6 engine is to the 1.2 polo .?
Old 14th July 2011, 11:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaga View Post
3.What fuel premium/normal?

It should be normal fuel.

Cheers!
Old 14th July 2011, 13:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstadtium View Post
Hey Raaga, Congrats on the new ride...
a Noob query..how different do u think this 1.6 engine is to the 1.2 polo .?
I felt 1.2 engines was sluggish and noisy compare to 1.6. Also notice that taking 1.2 to three digit was not effort less but up to 60 KMPH, I could not find much difference between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It should be normal fuel.

Cheers!
Thanks for suggestion can you please give specific reason for opting normal fuel; I was thinking that premium must be better with high octane (just guessing that premium must be having the high octane). One more thing if I fill at Shell than what to go for “unleaded” or “super unleaded”?

Last edited by aah78 : 15th July 2011 at 06:31. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / MULTI-QUOTE when respoding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 14th July 2011, 14:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for suggestion can you please give specific reason for opting normal fuel; I was thinking that premium must be better with high octane (just guessing that premium must be having the high octane). One more thing if I fill at Shell than what to go for “unleaded” or “super unleaded”?

Here is the link which this topic is discussed.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l-premium.html

Cheers!
Old 14th July 2011, 14:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Design - A first look at the Polo and wify decided that this is what we (Decided on behalf of me somebody had said – “after marriage man are just the rubber stamp; who need to accords with the decision) want to buy.

+1 to that . Congrats on you new acquisition. By the way you were really lucky to get a Polo 1.6 in double quick time. In Mumbai they have a waiting of 10 weeks . Anyway I'm not in a hurry. Need to buy one for wifey early next year. By then should be able to get some good reviews on that.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations raaga for your all new VW Polo. I am sure you must be enjoying your 1.6 monster.

Please do add some pictures of your ride as any ownership thread is incomplete without pictures.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.

PS - You should use normal fuel always, don't waste your money for those branded premium fuels. IMHO they don't do any good to the engine and not required for these cars.

Last edited by bluevolt : 14th July 2011 at 14:44.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:24   #11
BHPian

Congrats for the new Polo Raaga.
I second volkman10 that the normal fuel is what we should use in these cars.
1.2L engine is noisy because it's 3 cylinder and 1.6 engine is 4 cylinder so it makes less noise.

enjoy the German Technology. It would be nice if you can share some photographs.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

hey congrats on your new car. Unable to understand why have you put up an unhappy smiley in the title of your post. Typo?
Old 14th July 2011, 18:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
hey congrats on your new car. Unable to understand why have you put up an unhappy smiley in the title of your post. Typo?
Hey it was indded a typo and now not able to figure out how to change.
Thanks Arup, bluevolt,Nicky and drmohitg. It is real good Car if you are not concern about rear seat space so much.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
+1 to that . Congrats on you new acquisition. By the way you were really lucky to get a Polo 1.6 in double quick time. In Mumbai they have a waiting of 10 weeks . Anyway I'm not in a hurry. Need to buy one for wifey early next year. By then should be able to get some good reviews on that.
Hope wify will not go through this thread. In Bangalore, i see waiting is much less than what it was earlier. Otherday my friend had booked 1.2 highline at VW Bangalore, Hosur Road. Committed waiting period mentioned as 3-4 weeks. I am sure it will be 2-3 weeks next year

@ volkman10, bluevolt,Nicky thanks for suggestion on fuel, no more primium petrol for me. For Disel most of the time,i was always going for normal but somehow bit confused on Petrol

Last edited by raaga : 14th July 2011 at 18:54. Reason: Appending sentence
Old 14th July 2011, 18:44   #15
BHPian

Welcome to the club Raaga. It sure is a wonderful car.
speed kills is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks