Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 13:19   #1
BHPian

Snow white Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG

My garage had a Swift 2007, Vxi (ABS) NHC Vtec 2007, ANHC VMT, 2009. And it was time to upgrade and set my Swift free and with the change in my job wanted to upgrade. Was using my Vtec to office and back, in bumper to bumper traffic in Mumbai of a total of 50Km per day. I am sick of having a manual car, wanted a auto with the milage same or better than my Vtec.

I am 6" feet tall, like to have a car that has some punch and pleasure to drive, so in December 2010 started my quest for a new car. Had crawled the forums and seen some amazing review of the Civic AT, Laura AT and Cruze AT. So these were my options, being a Honda owner, knew Civic was a good choice, but wasn’t too sure to the milage.

TD Time:-

TD of the civic was good, I loved the AT and white color just was perfect for me, the paddle shift worked beautifully. The seating was low to my liking overall, it was something that I wanted only if the milage was better! The honda dealership was very nice the overall experience was fantastic. The sales rep knew about the car and explained everything in details. The car was clean and had 10k on the odo! The car left an impression on me,as I moved to the next dealership!

Next Was the Cruze, with prior appointment they had a new AT, liked the car from the outside, the overall road presence was awesome. However the interiors were not upto my liking, the features like the cruse control, Sun roof, start button, steering mounted controls were nice. The car had power and punch, somehow, it just did not prompt me to spend my money on. The dealership experience was good, the sales rep knew his car and was attended to very well, over all experience was good!

Next door was Skoda dealership, Saw the laura on display, was love struck! They had a TD car, had 15k on the odo, and I justed loved the way she drove. DSG was as smooth as silk, the shift was just awesome, far better than the Honda or the Chevy, in my opinion! In the "D" mode she was super! It was like I was driving the car that knew when to shift the gears, was like I would do. After a drive of about 3 Kms, the sales guys asked to shift it in "S" mode ! Wooooooo! I cant explain the feeling, it was the sheer power that made me forget the Cruze and the Civic.

Once I came out, I had made up my mind, Laura it is for me. Knowing the potential pit falls that could be with A.S.S, what the heck some time you listen to your heart and not your head!

On the 20th December I visited both Autobhann and JMD for discount and final offer! Both the dealers were aggressive to give discounts and freebies, but AutoBhann did not have a white in Stock, JMD did. So after all the negotiations, I cut a cheque on JMD, to block the car. The Date as per the panditji was 17th JAN, so I had to wait till I could get my hands on her.

JDM team was okay, but not as aggressive as the Linkway Honda, based on my past experience of buying two honda's. I wanted to see the car before registration, had to check the car based on the check list that we have on the forum, JMD agreed to pay the octroi and get the car to the showroom, post the inspection of the car and my acceptance they would send it for a registration.

I saw the car on the 11th Jan at their showroom, and she was perfect! Has 96km on the odo. Had a couple of couple of friends who came along for the inspection and after spending 2 hours, we went back , happy!

From the 11th to 16th I would have slept for 3-4 hours a night as all I could see was a laura! Finally on the 17th I reached there with my folks , must tell you, it was love at first site! She was just awesome, the paper work took 20 mins, post that the puja took 20 mins more, finally I got the keys to My Laura! They gave me a demo of the car, the do n don’t for DSG, before I knew I was on the road!

The feeling was just awesome to start with, driving in the evening, in a brand new car, bigger than what you are use to and AT, was not as simple that I assumed it to be but i sailed home!

My fist impressions:-

The fit and finish was simple, good and functional, build to last!
The AC was awesome!
The rear view mirrors are smaller than the Honda, they have blind spot!
The pick up and power is just amazing
The seating is very comfortable
The steering is heavy as compared to Honda but precise

Over all Happy man! Attached are few pic, loads more to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Snow white Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG-img_7974.jpg  

Snow white Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG-img_7982.jpg  

Snow white Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG-img_7989.jpg  

Snow white Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG-img_8170_1.jpg  

Last edited by amitk2kin : 24th March 2011 at 13:21. Reason: Mod's need help in morphing the number plate pls
amitk2kin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 13:29   #2
BHPian

re: Snow white Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG

Congratulations on your new car! Laura is my favourite car of the segment.
Do you mind disclosing the OTR prize?
Old 24th March 2011, 13:44   #3
BHPian

Congratulations! The color adds finesse to car's character.
Old 24th March 2011, 13:56   #4
BHPian

18.2 lac's on road Mumbai with corporate registration
Old 24th March 2011, 14:18   #5
BHPian

Congrats Amit,

Your engine deserves a coconut under the tyre to crush ... A lesser size engine can do only a lemon ... lol

Happy and safe driving !!!
Old 24th March 2011, 14:31   #6
BHPian

Congrats! Your avatar pic changed pretty soon . Hope the car gives you years of trouble free ownership.
Old 24th March 2011, 15:37   #7
BHPian

@ swooper, couldn't agree with you more!
@ Cesc, I hope the same!
Old 24th March 2011, 16:24   #8
BHPian

congrats for the sexy acquisition!!!!!You will never have a dull moment with this car.by the way this looks like the ambient version.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:44   #9
BHPian

Re: Snow white Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG

Last weekend took the Laura for long drive, the trip was from Mumbai to Shridi via Nasik and back! This trip was for visiting the holy shrine and to drive the beast on the open roads! The overall trip was 523KM and with a 1/100 mileage for the trip 5.3 or 18.86kmpl, with AC on with 4 people, at a constant speed between 80 to 110 kmph and at one stretch pushed the peddle with a peak speak of 186Kmph. The high speed stability is commendable, felt that car would do better than that, but I have passed that age to risk it! Happy to enjoy the ride in the rage 80 to 110 kmph!

The rear Aircon vents are a boon for the passengers on the rear seat and the luggage holding point in the boot come really handy. Over all experience was excellent, the Laura on the highway is just superb! The Mumbai Nasik stretch has good tar roads as compared to the Mumbai Pune express way with concrete IMHO. The ride was silky smooth the car was very well planted on the road, while descending on the Ghats moved the car in the manual shift for better control.

So far I have 3200kms on the odo, the only down side that I see is the rear view mirrors, as there is blind spot that exists. I have seen cars have these circular convex mirror stick on’s, I am sure they can help, will check out those over the week end. Any suggestions for the rear view mirrors.

On the way back after getting into mumbai, had a rickshaw run into the car, have right side tail light damaged, will have it replaced over the weekend. Also have been a victim of the logo thieves! The rear logo is missing, got flicked when I had parked the car near powai yesterday. Need to get that fixed as well.

After I lost the rear logo started noticing that many of Skoda’s/VW don’t have logos, among other cars. I have seen cars with a skoda sticker’s, maybe that’s an option to explore if the logo go’s missing again. The cost quoted by JMD is Rs.1100 plus taxes for the logo.

Have been contemplating to upgrade the head lights to HID, need to do some research on kits that are available that can be done without major alteration to the existing wiring. Will search the forum to see if any similar upgrades have been done
Old 28th April 2011, 18:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
congrats for the sexy acquisition!!!!!You will never have a dull moment with this car.by the way this looks like the ambient version.
Yes, it is the ambient version!
Old 29th April 2011, 16:08   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on the Car!!
Regarding the HID, i would suggest you to upgrade from the skoda dealer itself. Personally i love the skoda HIDs.
The salesman told me it costs about 18k to upgrade. I need to confirm it.
Old 30th April 2011, 15:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Amit! Skoda does make beautiful cars, only suspect being the service part. However, there seems to be a drop in the horror stories about them, with newer owners reporting a better/good experience at the service centers! Hope it stays enjoyable for you too!

And do post some more shots, complete profile and interiors!
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:12   #13
BHPian

I got the tail light and logo replaced, from JMD! The workshop was nothing compared to the LinkWay Honda that I am use to! Never the less, the job was done in under 30 mins!

I spoke to them for HID upgrade, they are quoting 18k per set, I need two sets, one each for the low and high beam. I asked them about the brand, thought these would be Skoda OEM, but they mentioned these are P4!

Checked out with other car dealers, the P4 kit is for 7k, I don't really know if i should get these fitted from the Skoda dealer and pay 11k extra! View's please?
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
I spoke to them for HID upgrade, they are quoting 18k per set, I need two sets, one each for the low and high beam. I asked them about the brand, thought these would be Skoda OEM, but they mentioned these are P4!
18k per pair for P4 is daylight robbery. You can get Philips genuine HIDs sets for less than 10k with bill and warranty.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:55   #15
BHPian

@anshuman, I agree with you, will check out philips hid kits, on a side note, have noticed black power on the front wheels, spoke to the jms guys, as per them it is from the break pads! Is that what is? Have other Laura ownes noticed that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks