Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 18:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota ETIOS Ownership review : 2,000km report

Nice review and you have pointed out the shortcomings well.

I have seen stationary ETIOS cars, sat on the drivers wheel, looked around inside the car, seen plenty of pics on Team Bhp and am wondering:

WHY DID I PAY RS 2.5 LACS MORE FOR THE HONDA CITY?

Do I get value for money having paid that much more for the ANHC?

Regards

Commander Nandu Chitnis
(Retd)

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 6th April 2011 at 18:38.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Vebmetal,
I'm a bit late, but hearty congratulations on your Q-Class! Nice colour, and a really good review there.
Did you have the MANZA on your radar by the way? Or you had your mind all locked on ETIOS right from the word go? Both are really good VFMs. I personally find the MANZA better on the interior quality & features. If you had the MANZA in the shootout, could you let us know of the decisive factors that favored the Etios? My boss is currently on the lookout for a car and I'm pushing him for a Manza. Your advise will really be valuable.

Wishing you unlimited safe & happy Q-Class Miles! Keep updates and pictures coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Nice review and you have pointed out the shortcomings well.

I have seen stationary ETIOS cars, sat on the drivers wheel, looked around inside the car, seen plenty of pics on Team Bhp and am wondering:

WHY DID I PAY RS 2.5 LACS MORE FOR THE HONDA CITY?

Do I get value for money having paid that much more for the ANHC?

Regards

Commander Nandu Chitnis
(Retd)
Well Commander,

Even before the ETIOS was launched, ANHC was never a car that appealed as a VFM car. There were already plenty other lower priced and good compact saloons around at considerably lower price tags. So, you shouldn't really be asking that question. ANHC is a good car, tad high priced, but still with one of the best engines and a great overall package. Barring the Linea, I don't see a saloon that competes with the ANHC on looks. And none competing on the i-VTEC front...You definitely spent the 2.5L more, since you were out shopping for an ANHC, and not VFM car. I'm sure you are enjoying every kilometer you travel...
Old 6th April 2011, 20:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your car !! I have seen the car in flesh and it does look good. As you rightly pointed out, no oomph factor, but then its nice to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman18 View Post
Very good review. In regard to smell from AC . My Dzire also have the same problem i.e. when I switch on-->Switch off-->switch on the AC , I experience foul smell of dampness. Is anybody through some light on it
Add my name to the list please ! I have this problem in my Swift too. You switch off the A/C for 2-3 mins, some times this just is intolerable, the pungent smell. At times it really puts me to shame when my colleagues are in the car.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:58   #19
BHPian

Congratulations for your Etios. Glad to read the review after you have completed 2000 kms.

Are they still giving only 1 keyless entry unit ?

Thanks
Old 8th April 2011, 00:06   #20
BHPian

Congratulations, your review shows the pride with which you wrote it. Good to see people taking such pride in their possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You switch off the A/C for 2-3 mins, some times this just is intolerable, the pungent smell. At times it really puts me to shame when my colleagues are in the car.
This problem will be there in any car. I get over it with Ambi Pur. Sometimes if the temperature setting is warm, you will get that smell. Try increasing the chillness, the smell will vanish. No logic behind that to prove... thats just how i manage

Check this site - Auto Diagnosis - What's That Smell? - Popular Mechanics. Great information
Old 8th April 2011, 16:27   #21

Congrates, I do agree that the exteriors are nice. A friend of mine got the 3 leveled simile grill fitted and it really improves the look significantly. I personally like the wide view that the driver gets and the single wiper, would really like to see how effective it can be.
Old 9th April 2011, 10:04   #22
BHPian

@Vebmetal - A pretty neat review of the car. Liked the colour too.

The car does look good from the outside and as you pointed out, the interiors could have been better. IMO, the VX variant which is the top trim has been given much better looking interiors. Starting from the door trip to the steering wheel, they all feel top notch for a car in this price segment. It is no surprise that most Toyota showrooms would keep the VX variant on display. With 45K ex-showroom price difference between the V and VX, the VX might appeal to people who are very critical about the vanilla styled interiors of the other variants. Some would argue that the 45K does not justify the add-ons that the VX provides over the V variant.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 9th April 2011 at 10:06.
Old 10th April 2011, 13:49   #23
BHPian

Thank you all for your comments!

Let me try to answer some queries 1-on-1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey Vebmetal,
I'm a bit late, but hearty congratulations on your Q-Class! Nice colour, and a really good review there.
Did you have the MANZA on your radar by the way? Or you had your mind all locked on ETIOS right from the word go? Both are really good VFMs. I personally find the MANZA better on the interior quality & features. If you had the MANZA in the shootout, could you let us know of the decisive factors that favored the Etios? My boss is currently on the lookout for a car and I'm pushing him for a Manza. Your advise will really be valuable.
No, Neither Manza nor Desire was in my radar. To be brutally honest this was a spur of the moment purchase. We were frankly looking at getting another hatchback, but I had been mulling about that decision for a long time and not come to a decision as the i20 seems to have defects (steering rattle, AC), Was not impressed with the Polo or Punto, the Jazz was overpriced, the Figo was brilliant though really unappealing to look at. So there was no clear winner. Meanwhile we decided to go for the booking, and cancel it in case we didn't like it after the car was available for a test drive. The TD confirmed to us that the car was VFM and so decided to go ahead with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post
Congratulations for your Etios. Glad to read the review after you have completed 2000 kms.

Are they still giving only 1 keyless entry unit ?
Yeah, two keys, only one with the keyless remote. A little sucky if you ask me considering how much would an extra keyless remote actually cost them, but in this car you will notice that they have saved 50-100 rupees here and there and maybe that is how they were able to price it low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
@Vebmetal - A pretty neat review of the car. Liked the colour too.

The car does look good from the outside and as you pointed out, the interiors could have been better. IMO, the VX variant which is the top trim has been given much better looking interiors. Starting from the door trip to the steering wheel, they all feel top notch for a car in this price segment. It is no surprise that most Toyota showrooms would keep the VX variant on display. With 45K ex-showroom price difference between the V and VX, the VX might appeal to people who are very critical about the vanilla styled interiors of the other variants. Some would argue that the 45K does not justify the add-ons that the VX provides over the V variant.
To me the biggest appeal fo the VX variant was the racier looking steering wheel. Other than that none of us liked the red upholstery, and preferred the sober interior of the V Variant. Also, I couldn't care about the extra chrome bits here and there, especially since the quality of chrome used in the interior in the VX was not very good quality IMHO. I also didn't care about having the stereo play DVDs, as I was anyway getting a USB and Aux-In port fitted, and am strictly against watching movies in the car. So yeah, I think it's very subjective. For a lot of people I have come across (including people who work in Toyota), the red upholstery of the VX is considered to be a deal-breaker. Like I said, it certainly was one for me, though I can totally understand the appeal for someone wanting a sportier looking car especially if they plan on jazzing up the exteriors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRider View Post
Congrates, I do agree that the exteriors are nice. A friend of mine got the 3 leveled simile grill fitted and it really improves the look significantly. I personally like the wide view that the driver gets and the single wiper, would really like to see how effective it can be.
IIRC that 3 pronged front chrome grill costs a few thousands, and while I agree that it would add to the looks, IMHO it wasn't VFM, and the standard griller is decent enough. I would be dishonest though if I said I didn't consider getting it (hell, I was considering the side skirts as well!).
As for the single wiper, let me see if I can get some photos to show how effective it is.
Old 10th April 2011, 15:46   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the reply.

Have you been fit additional speakers at the back of the car? How do you find the sound if you are sitting at the back with no rear speakers ?

When I had briefly tried it (sitting on the rear seat), I could very clearly feel the sound coming from the front. I found this a little disturbing.

Your views on this. Thanks.
Old 10th April 2011, 16:37   #25
BHPian

^ haven't touched the ICE as of yet, using the stock HU and stock front components. When I am in the car 95% I am driving, or 5% I am in the front passenger seat, so I haven't felt the need for rear speakers yet, but am sure in the coming months will upgrade at some point.
Old 11th April 2011, 09:21   #26
BHPian

Toyota ETIOS Ownership review : 2,000km report

First of all, an excellent report on the ownership verbmetal. Congratulations on your new ride and I wish you happy motoring in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman18 View Post
Very good review. In regard to smell from AC . My Dzire also have the same problem i.e. when I switch on-->Switch off-->switch on the AC , I experience foul smell of dampness. Is anybody through some light on it
The dampness left behind in the system's condenser when the AC is running, is what causes the smell. I suggest you switch the system to fresh air intake whenever you switch off the condenser. That should take care of your problem. It has worked in my car although I tend to roll down the glasses a tad bit if I am running AC on the fan mode. Moreover mine is a Climate Control Unit so I may be off the mark in my suggestion
Old 11th April 2011, 10:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post

To me the biggest appeal fo the VX variant was the racier looking steering wheel. Other than that none of us liked the red upholstery, and preferred the sober interior of the V Variant. Also, I couldn't care about the extra chrome bits here and there, especially since the quality of chrome used in the interior in the VX was not very good quality IMHO. I also didn't care about having the stereo play DVDs, as I was anyway getting a USB and Aux-In port fitted, and am strictly against watching movies in the car. So yeah, I think it's very subjective. For a lot of people I have come across (including people who work in Toyota), the red upholstery of the VX is considered to be a deal-breaker. Like I said, it certainly was one for me, though I can totally understand the appeal for someone wanting a sportier looking car especially if they plan on jazzing up the exteriors as well.
The VX has red upholstery as standard? Well, the VX that I saw at the showroom had beige interiors and definitely the overall feel of the interiors was decent if not top notch. Could be a case where the std. red upholstery was replaced by the more conventional beige which appeals to Indian buyers. I have seen several Etios' with the red upholstery and it does not go with the car's image at all.

I also wish the Etios had the conventional dual wiper system. The solitary wiper has an uncanny resemblance to the Nano!

Last edited by fuel_addict : 11th April 2011 at 10:02.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arethusa View Post
The dampness left behind in the system's condenser when the AC is running, is what causes the smell. I suggest you switch the system to fresh air intake whenever you switch off the condenser. That should take care of your problem. It has worked in my car although I tend to roll down the glasses a tad bit if I am running AC on the fan mode. Moreover mine is a Climate Control Unit so I may be off the mark in my suggestion
Will try that method. Have been doing some reading on the internet, and it seems to be that the problem stems from manufacturers' failure to properly coat the AC fins with anti-fungal / anti-bacterial coating. So yes, the moisture that builds up there may be what is behind the mildew smell. Earlier I had once tried leaving the car on with the blower full blast at the maximum heat setting for 5 minutes, but I don't think that helped a lot. I have seen a few articles and youtube videos that talk about spraying the intake vents (between the bonnet and the windshield) with half a can of disinfectant spray, and leaving the AC on with fresh air intake for 10 minutes. Will try that as soon as I can identify a good disinfectant spray. (The videos all use Lysol, which I don't think is available in India).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The VX has red upholstery as standard? Well, the VX that I saw at the showroom had beige interiors and definitely the overall feel of the interiors was decent if not top notch. Could be a case where the std. red upholstery was replaced by the more conventional beige which appeals to Indian buyers. I have seen several Etios' with the red upholstery and it does not go with the car's image at all.

I also wish the Etios had the conventional dual wiper system. The solitary wiper has an uncanny resemblance to the Nano!
^ AFAIK the VX comes only with red and black upholstery. The V variant comes with dark and light grey upholstery (as seen in the pics). Maybe the one you saw had seat covers on them. They have a lot of variety in terms of fabric as well as faux leather seat covers. (Though none of them suited my tastes).

As for the wiper, I don't think anyone is going to mistake this car for a nano just because of a single wiper system Rest assured, it does a proper job and is more than satisfactory.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:26   #29
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition. Nice photographs. Exterior looks good. Interior also looks good and VFM. Looks wise your car's seats are better looking than the black and red one which I test drove. The car is spacious with good leg room and upright position.
Wish you a happy driving

NB: As regards the smell from AC, all new cars will have this (I had seen this on many threads on other forums as well). Reason are - New plastics/ seat covers not removed/ Air filter of AC vent fan damp or to be cleaned. Advisable to open all windows and vent the car for about five minutes before staring driving. This especially so when you parked under sunlight. Read somewhere that the plastic smell/ vapours are cencerogenic.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:23   #30
BHPian

Hi Vebmetal and other friends,

Me too have booked an Etios,in the process of looking for a car with good rear seat ride and comfort.The toyota guys suggested I book it,to avail the priority-delivery might take 6 months.don't know if can wait that long.If nothing else comes in between I might end up buying the Etios.

What I have noticed is the more time elapesed after the booking,the more I began liking the car.Don't know if it is common human psychology.My wife is absolutely in love with it and is suggesting not to test drive even the new Verna.The engine noise is evident,but my son found it rather sporty!!For me too,the fun I experienced on the high way during my test drive was incredible-much better than a Corolla Altis diesel which I test drove after 2 days.

However I could not test drive it extensively in the city. Vebmetal,help!How do you rate the rear seat RIDE comfort in the city-very good or so so?My wife has a bad back and needs good back seat ride comfort.

I booked the VX version,black colour-the red interiors are not a deal breaker for me.IMO a black exteriors,red interiors and the add on skirts will give Etios the upmarket look which is otherwise missing-without making it flashy(no rear spoiler!).I was enchanted by the sporty steering wheel with its in built controls too-the actual reason for opting for VX(+ rear window defogger).I might replace the DVD player with an all-in-one entertainment system from Caska(52000/-) which works with the steering mounted audio controls.Also rear speakers.Toyota offered to camouflage the red interiors and seats with Stanley leather-but for 47000/-!!I guess I will give the red interiors a try before spending 47000/-

I wish Toyota had marketed a version of Etios with beige interiors and at least slightly upmarket interiors as standard-it would have saved many owners a lot of justifications for buying it,to their sceptical critics who observe that apart from being a Toyota there is nothing desirable in it.

I won't be surprised if after test driving the New Verna,Ford Fiesta and many other upmarket cars if I finally settle for the Etios for the sheer desirability it has!!

Love,charthom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks