Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 19:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota ETIOS Ownership review : 2,000km report

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
However I could not test drive it extensively in the city. Vebmetal,help!How do you rate the rear seat RIDE comfort in the city-very good or so so?My wife has a bad back and needs good back seat ride comfort.
Honestly, I drive the car 95% of the time, and the other 5% I'm in the front passenger seat, so I wouldn't be able to tell you the comfort level of the rear seat! What I can tell you is that overall the seats in the car are more of the firm variety, rather than the soft, cushiony, 'sink'in' variety. For some people it's better for their back, for some it's worse - unfortunately your wife will have to test the same in a extended test drive (try driving around for
20+ minutes). The only other thing I can say is that there is a lot of legroom in the back, so that shouldn't even be a concern for you at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
I wish Toyota had marketed a version of Etios with beige interiors and at least slightly upmarket interiors as standard-it would have saved many owners a lot of justifications for buying it,to their sceptical critics who observe that apart from being a Toyota there is nothing desirable in it.
There are many things I wish this car had too - auto-lock doors, electric ORVMs, smoother door handles, no AC foul odour problem. But the thing is that at the end of the day they have been able to price it at what it is because of severe cost-cutting. I would suggest you give the Altis another look if you are looking for a plusher car.
vebmetal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 21:44   #32
BHPian

Vebmetal,

Thanks for the advices.Sorry for the delay in thanking you.I had the traumatic experience of my father's sad demise after a surgery.Got really busy and pre-occupied.

I cancelled the booking for the Etios and booked a ANHC. I am writing down my experiences.Will post soon.

Thanks again mate for the helps.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:52   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi vebmetal, thanks for a very comprehensive and well-written review. Took you 2 months eh? I started my own ownership review within 4 hours of taking delivery

I agree with you that this car is not for everyone: in fact I was so convinced it wasn't for me that I hadn't even checked it out in person till last Sunday, when we attended an exhibition of some sort where Toyota incidentally had a stall. To my surprise I quite liked it.

Your sales experience sounds like a dream compared to mine (and other VW owners'). What I found odd is you opted for the additional chrome garnish on the rear: surely this car has enough chrome on it already!

Quote:
Fantastic space - you have to see it to believe it. Oodles of leg room in the back seat even with the driver's seat shifted all the way back.
Man this was the biggest surprise for me. After sitting in an Etios the rear bench of my Vento feels like a Nano! And no annoying transmission hump either. Toyota has nailed the chauffer-driven family with its fabulous rear seat.

Quote:
Trunk space is indeed remarkable. I forget how many liters it is, but it is HUGE!
595 litres, the Toyota SR told me. It's humungous all right.

I like the fact that your review is totally unbiased but I got the feeling you were totally unhappy with the interiors. But seriously at this price point what were you expecting? Hard plastics is something you will find even in the C+ segment. Agreed that the dials could have been a tad less tacky- they look like the fake dials that are stickered onto children's toy cars. But in all honesty, after sitting for a while inside one, I got used to the Etios' spartan interiors and even the deal-breaking (for me) central console didn't seem as bad as before.

You better get that bad AC smell checked out someplace good- it shouldn't be a problem in a new car. I feel bad for you because new car smell is probably the most satisfying aroma in the world, especially for a petrolhead.

I also think you're being too harsh on Toyota for the first free service. Believe me, as someone whose car will not be serviced till 12 months/15K km are up, I can tell you that the fact that the manufacturer is signing off on your car after 1K and then 5K km should make you very happy. Even if it's just for a routine check and wash-up!

Also, some good news for you: even my "premium" Vento has one reversing lamp (and one rear foglamp). It does have electric RVMs but they don't open and shut electrically. The auto-lock does work on my car but it doesn't lock the doors from the inside

And yes- your Etios has a better ICE than my German beauty. So relax!

Enjoy your car- as you have said it is perfect VFM and you have the added bonus of absolute peace of mind that is Toyota to boot!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks