Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2018, 13:09   #541
BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Has anyone upgraded the ICE in their Passat to the new VW Discover Pro?

I have been offered one with a host of features, including Android Auto, Apple Car Play, Navigation, a large touch screen + all the regular features of the existing unit. In addition, a higher powered unit which will result in better sound. Price is steep 90K.

Would appreciate your inputs
Old 12th August 2018, 14:46   #542
BHPian

I would like to inform my fellow team-bhpians that I have found an ex-employee/mechanic of VW/Skoda group. It has been many months that I was looking for a VW expert since I had bought this used Passat in Dec 2016. Finally found one.

My experience shared……………..

I had this problem of coolant level going down couple of times in my VW Passat TDI AT. Thinking this as a regular consumption I filled it with water once and second time with coolant. But the level still kept going down giving me ‘low coolant’ warning twice.

Hence with this problem in hand I went for a mechanic hunt. One mechanic with very basic check said this could be a pipe leaking. After some search I somehow bumped into this mechanic who has previously worked for VW/Skoda.

I explained him the problem. He opened the hood, opened the cover over the timing belt in the engine area and with great confidence said that this was due to the ‘water pump’ failure.

After some good conversation with him I decided to take a risk and asked him to come next morning to my residence to get the job done.

He came next day, opened the timing belt, we both went to the opera house market (Mumbai) and got the part. Water pump replaced and it’s been 6 days, coolant level stable, car running perfect.

I guess this being a job where timing belt had to be removed, was a bit of critical and precision job. But I am thankful job was done perfectly.

If anyone from Mumbai and nearby cities and towns would like to get their VW or Skoda cars repaired from this guy can drop me a mail/message. I am sorry but I won't be able to publically list his name and number here.
Prash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 19:47   #543
BHPian

Hello Gentlemen. I have acquired a 2012 Passat AT Comfortline last week. The car has done over a lakh kms of mainly highway service. The timing belt and pulley were replaced last week.

The VW workshop has given me a an estimate of 18K for routine service (oil/filters/coolant) is this a fair figure and is it worth getting the service done at the ASS ??
Also, if I plan to change the oil and filter myself what is the grade and quantity I should be looking at ??

I have been reading through this thread for the ast couple of weeks, the DSG on this car has not given any trouble to date. Also the infamous speed / ABS sensor problem has also not cropped up. So I'm hoping to have a good ownership experience.
There are few things I wanted to ask regarding the car :
1.Is it possible to fit a rear view camera on this car ? I am so used to having one in my civic that it feels like a handicap on this one.
2. The left door speakers are not working, should I have the door panel opened (not very comfortable with the idea considering most shops don't have the proper tools) or is there something else that can be tried.
3.How long does the battery last when using start/stop function ??
I had myself sold an Amaron to the previous owner in 2016

4.The front left portion had taken a hit by a reckless valet and since then the front left sensor on the OPS keeps beeping then reverse is engaged, also the left headlamp washer mechanism has gone askew. The windshield washer also does not work. Could it be related to the left side damage ??
5.DSG fluid was replaced at 80K kms. How long before it needs replacement again ??
6. Has anyone used injector cleaners / diesel additive on this car ?
7. If I want to change the headlights to LED, what is the bulb specifications I should be looking at ?
Old 15th January 2019, 17:27   #544
BHPian

This doesn't seem to be a very active thread unlike my earlier Civic ownership thread

But I'll still go ahead and share pictures of suspension parts I bought alongwith part nos for the benefit of anyone who may be looking to overhaul Passat B7 suspension.
All parts I bought were either Bilstein / Febi / SWAG. Installation was done at a friend's garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091050.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091054.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091101.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091223.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091243.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091333.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091344.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091359.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091425.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091441.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091559.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091632.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091717.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091739.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091745.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091835.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091906.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_091940.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_092055.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_092158.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_092318.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_092454.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20181128_092504.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 10:06   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
This doesn't seem to be a very active thread unlike my earlier Civic ownership thread

But I'll still go ahead and share pictures of suspension parts I bought alongwith part nos for the benefit of anyone who may be looking to overhaul Passat B7 suspension.
All parts I bought were either Bilstein / Febi / SWAG. Installation was done at a friend's garage.
Hey, your posts will surely keep the thread active and alive.

Thanks for the details shared. I would like to know more about these things if you dont mind sharing please, as even i own a Dec 2011 Passat, though its in my hands since Dec 2016.

Here are my queries:
1) What made you chose the brands you have mentioned (Bilstein / Febi / SWAG)

2) What parts did you exactly change and the reason for it

3) Where did you buy these parts from

4) At what cost did you buy and what was the labour charge you paid

Also if i have missed on please add any other important detail if you wish to.

I had a very good experience getting my oil change service from a local garage and using Liqimoly engine oil. Will highly recommend even to you.

By the way i am from mumbai and was in Indore just few days ago. If i had read your post then i would have surely planned a meet. But nevertheless will contact next time i am there.

Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 12:30   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post

Hey, your posts will surely keep the thread active and alive.

Will be good to interact with other Passat owners

Quote:
1) What made you chose the brands you have mentioned (Bilstein / Febi / SWAG)
Bilstein, Febi [Feridnand Bilstein] Blue Point are the same company and are OE suppliers to VW so for sure their product quality would be far superior to what Chinese suppliers dish out. Some parts that Bilstein was unavailable in or did not make I opted for SWAG and Borsehung.

Quote:
2) What parts did you exactly change and the reason for it.

I bought this car pre-owned in Sept 2018. It had done about 1.3 lakh kms then. The front & rear suspension needed to be overhauled. Parts changed - entire suspension components + front & rear struts. Will PM you the entire list if you want.

Quote:
3) Where did you buy these parts from.
I bought them from a dealer in Bombay. I had got quotes from spares and care too - very prompt in service and communication, but happened to be in B'bay for some work so decided to pick up the stuff myself.

Quote:
4) At what cost did you buy and what was the labour charge you paid

The parts cost me about Rs.54,000 [with GST biill] and Labour was Rs.5,000.MOst shops in Opera house quoted Rs.28K-30K for the same stuff , but it would not have lasted much or performed on a car like this, so avoided teh altogether. VW service center had given a service quote of Rs.1.25 lakhs + whatever additional fasteners / lathe work would be charged extra. But they had no time frame as to when they would get the parts.
When the car was getting suspension work done I also sourced Brembo brake pads for front & rear - Rs.7,000

A
Quote:
lso if i have missed on please add any other important detail if you wish to.
If bought pre-owned I suggest you find out when the DSG oil was last changed. VW recommends 60K kms. This is an expensive affair so someone who's looking to part with the car might not want to spend that money. It was the first thing I got done after i acquired the car.

Quote:
I am currently using Mobil 1 0-40w as LiquiMoly was unavailable here.Will try it on the next oil change in about 8K kms

Do drop me a message anytime you're in town. And if you drive down you can use the VCDS cable I've bought to tinker around with the settings on your car

Last edited by ajmat : 18th January 2019 at 15:15. Reason: formatted for better reading
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 12:15   #547
BHPian

Problem - Coolant level leak
Job done on date – 7Th August 2018
Car - Passat Diesel
Kms on the clock 36000 kms (current kms)

Water/Coolant pump changed as it was leaking coolant in the fan belt area.
After changing the pump when the car was started for the first time it made a screeching noise. Noise was obviously from the belt. Mechanic (who is an ex-Skoda workshop guy) said this will come for some time and fade away. It did settle after some time.

But since then whenever the car is started after a good 7-8 hours (or say the first start in the day) the noise from the belt (as shown in the video) is evident for the first 1-2 minute and after that it fades away. Even in video one can notice that the noise goes very low by the end of the video.

Now this very same mechanic says I will have to change the timing kit which includes the belt and some 2-3 more parts.

My query is:
1) Can this be a problem of wrong setting done while the jobs of changing the water pump done? Maybe the wrong setting was by mistake or purposely done by this guy?
2) Do I really need to change the entire timing kit or problem can be solved through some setting in the belt area? After speaking to another local garage he said you need not change the timing kit as the kms is low on clock.

Suggestions needed.
Thanks

Link for the video:
Prash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 12:54   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

After changing the pump when the car was started for the first time it made a screeching noise. Noise was obviously from the belt. Mechanic (who is an ex-Skoda workshop guy) said this will come for some time and fade away. It did settle after some time.
I couldn't hear any screeching sound, but I can hear a rhythmic "chan chan" sound that reduces as the video progresses. Is this the one you are talking about? The video does not have "cranking the car" moment.
BTW, you got the water pump changed by some independent mechanic instead of the authorized service center? Why?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 13:15   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I couldn't hear any screeching sound, but I can hear a rhythmic "chan chan" sound that reduces as the video progresses. Is this the one you are talking about? The video does not have "cranking the car" moment.
BTW, you got the water pump changed by some independent mechanic instead of the authorized service center? Why?
Yes it's the Chan Chan sound I was talking about, sorry the screeching sound was when the belt was changed.

I don't believe in going to authorised workshops, and surely don't when it comes to Skoda or VW. Reason a long story but can say they are not trust worthy people.
Old 4th March 2019, 14:06   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Problem - Coolant level leak
Job done on date – 7Th August 2018
Car - Passat Diesel
Kms on the clock 36000 kms (current kms)

But since then whenever the car is started after a good 7-8 hours (or say the first start in the day) the noise from the belt (as shown in the video) is evident for the first 1-2 minute and after that it fades away. Even in video one can notice that the noise goes very low by the end of the video.

Now this very same mechanic says I will have to change the timing kit which includes the belt and some 2-3 more parts.

My query is:
1) Can this be a problem of wrong setting done while the jobs of changing the water pump done? Maybe the wrong setting was by mistake or purposely done by this guy?
2) Do I really need to change the entire timing kit or problem can be solved through some setting in the belt area? After speaking to another local garage he said you need not change the timing kit as the kms is low on clock.

Suggestions needed.
Thanks

Link for the video:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Z8xR...ature=Youtu.be
An error in posting. Please note:

The screeching sound was only when the water pump was changed.

After that there is this Chan-Chan sound started in cold starts.
Old 26th March 2019, 16:12   #551
BHPian

Hello members,

I have purchased a 2012 manufactured (2013 January registered) VW passat highline in December last year. The car was in immaculate condition without a scratch and had only done 32,000 kms. The car was maintained at the showroom in Kolkata. I got this car to Hyderabad.

I did not have any problems for the first three months in which I have driven it for 6000+ kms including the drive from Kolkata to Hyderabad. However, I have now started facing some minor issues. I have been using a skoda laura for the past ten years so I have an idea with the kind of problems we have with these European cars.

Problem No. 1 : I have noticed a squeaking sound coming from somewhere below the engine compartment every time I turn the steering when the vehicle is stationary. The sound is not audible when the car is in motion. I gave the car at the VW workshop in Khajaguda hyderabad and he said the ball bearings have to be replaced and quoted 14k.

Can someone please suggest me if I can source the ball bearings from the market and get it replaced at a local workshop.

Problem 2 : My reverse camera stopped functioning and the workshop states that water got into the camera module somehow. I really did not understand how was that possible. After going through the forum I now understand that this is a common problem and I should have done something to protect it. Can someone please suggest if the camera module is repairable.

Problem 3 : The auto hold button stopped functioning. All other buttons are working properly except this one. The showroom quoted 7K for a replacement but I am not sure if it is worth it.

I have gone though the service history of this car from the previous owner and have noticed that he has not spent much on the car apart from the usual services for the past 6 years. I started to feel unlucky since the above problems came up in just 4 months of usage

It would be of great help if you can provide your valuable suggestions on the above and recommend a good work shop in Hyderabad.
vw_passat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 13:43   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
I have purchased a 2012 manufactured (2013 January registered) VW passat highline in December last year. The car was in immaculate condition without a scratch and had only done 32,000 kms. The car was maintained at the showroom in Kolkata. I got this car to Hyderabad. - Congratulations on your purchase! Do share a few pictures of your car if possible. Was it a white Highline though? Car sounds familiar.

Problem No. 1 : I have noticed a squeaking sound coming from somewhere below the engine compartment every time I turn the steering when the vehicle is stationary. The sound is not audible when the car is in motion. I gave the car at the VW workshop in Khajaguda hyderabad and he said the ball bearings have to be replaced and quoted 14k. - Try sourcing a non-OEM one of the same spec if you want to reduce costs? If you know any mechanic or a trusted workshop, get their opinion. They may be able to help.

Problem 2 : My reverse camera stopped functioning and the workshop states that water got into the camera module somehow. Can someone please suggest if the camera module is repairable. - Replied to this question on another thread. Camera module cannot be repaired. Only solution is replacement and it costs around 40 K from the dealer.

Problem 3 : The auto hold button stopped functioning. All other buttons are working properly except this one. The showroom quoted 7 K for a replacement but I am not sure if it is worth it. - Ignore this problem. Not worth spending 7K on fixing.

I have gone though the service history of this car from the previous owner and have noticed that he has not spent much on the car apart from the usual services for the past 6 years.- You don't need to spend much on the Passat other than the normal servicing. However, since you are nearing the 40 K milestone, there will be a number of things you will need to get checked. i.e. - Condition of the AC compressor, Condition of steering rack, tyres, shock absorbers, ABS sensors, etc.
Please check my replies in bold font. Thank you!
Old 27th March 2019, 14:53   #553
BHPian

Thank you so much fordfreak. My car is light golden colour. The previous owner replaced two new tyres in the front and I purchased two more tyres immediately after I got the car.
Old 15th April 2019, 14:04   #554
BHPian

Quote:
1) Can this be a problem of wrong setting done while the jobs of changing the water pump done?
Sorry for the late reply Prash. Yes, an improper job could be causing this noise. The torque level mismatch for the timing belt tensioner and the serpentine belt itself could be out of sync. As most of our mechanics use a simple spanner and 'andaaz se' tighten everything back in place.
Timing belt replacement is recommended by VW at 80K kms. PS -

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
Problem No. 1 : I have noticed a squeaking sound coming from somewhere below the engine compartment.
Problem 3 : The auto hold button stopped functioning.
Check if the CV joint boots have given way and the grease has not leaked out. I changed mine recently after i noticed grease sprayed in the wheel well. Pics attached for part no ref.

For the auto hold button : Buy it from Aliexpress
It will cost under 2K and work well.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20190219_1010051024x768.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20190219_1010361024x768.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20190219_1011411024x768.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20190219_1011461024x768.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 09:57   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Yes, an improper job could be causing this noise. The torque level mismatch for the timing belt tensioner and the serpentine belt itself could be out of sync. As most of our mechanics use a simple spanner and 'andaaz se' tighten everything back in place.
Timing belt replacement is recommended by VW at 80K kms. PS -
So now this mechanic of mine (who is actually an ex-Skoda workshop guy) could have done the refitting of timing belt as what you have said 'andaaz se' and slight mismatch could be the reason of the noise (i have posted video previously) what as per you can now be done?

This same mechanic says that change the entire timing kit, but as my car has done only 36k kms i am thinking i should not get it changed if it is not needed.

So my question is, 'torque level mismatch for the timing belt tensioner and the serpentine belt' as mentioned by you, how can this be fixed? What should be the right procedure to accurately set the tension of this timing belt?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks