Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 15:52   #616
BHPian

Re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Sorry,what variant is your car ? Even the base models have H4 in the headlights and H8 in the foglamps.
The highline has HID bulbs ( D3S ) I changed my HID's to LED's last year (chinese stuff from an old trading partner of mine). Direct plug and play, no canbus errors and works with the existing ballast. AFS too working flawlessly.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20201202_121055.jpg  

Attached Images

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 19:51   #617
BHPian

Mine is a highline variant and I made a mistake of assuming that they were H7. I was going by an old mechanic who installed an HID kit in my Laura 13 years ago.

I now understand that they are D3S.

Can you please recommend me high quality D3S bulbs, similar to the ones you have used, which I can buy on Amazon (india) or Amazon (USA) for my Passat highline. Preferably a plug and play model.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vw_passat : 25th November 2021 at 19:53. Reason: Missed something
Old 25th November 2021, 20:07   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
Can you please recommend me high quality D3S bulbs, similar to the ones you have used, which I can buy on Amazon (india)
Here is a link to something similar. Price is quite reasonable. I remember paying USD145 for it.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 11:26   #619
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Just when I started feeling that I am having an amazing ownership experience with my passat over the past 4 years without any major issues, some thing strange happened with it last night.

I started driving out from my place and within a couple of mins a warning popped up on my instrument cluster " Error brakes. Workshop!

All the lights on the cluster started glowing like airbag, ABS, hand brake, steering.

The car was running normally without any problem. Steering was smooth as usual. However, the speedomater, RPM were not working. The fuel guage was going up and down all by itself and the refill fuel indicator was popping up everytime the fule level was going down.

The indicators were working but they weere not showing up on the cluster, neither I was getting the sound of the indicator while in use.

I will be heading to my FNG (VW & Skoda expert) in some time.

I have been through other forums in the UK and some of them were advised to change the instrument cluster (only to realise the problem resurfaced again). One of them found the problem with a wire from the ECu to cluster.

Another gentleman found that the oxidation killed CAN gateway power supply cable behind battery bracket.

Please let me know if any of you experienced something similar.

Will keep you posted.
Old 1st February 2022, 12:48   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
Hello Everyone,
I will be heading to my FNG (VW & Skoda expert) in some time.
Will keep you posted.
Hi,any update ? Has the issue been sorted ?
Old 15th March 2022, 09:34   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Hi,any update ? Has the issue been sorted ?
Hi

Visited my mech twice. He checked the basics like battery voltage, fuses etc. He told me that he cleaned the earthing points (dont know what that means). He drove the car for a few kms only to find that the faults just come back.

He wanted me to bring it back when I can leave for a few days for him to do a thorough check up.

I have been driving it ever since it came back and I noticed that the problem does not seem to come up that often ( it only came up once in the last three days where I drove for 25 kms)

I googled it up and it seems to be a common problem with the VWs and skodas.

A user posted the following solution for the same problem :

Hey, I ended up finding a solution to this by turning the electrical in the car on by turning the key half way and while the car is on, I disconnected the instrument cluster. Then shut the car off and then back on with the instrument cluster unplugged still. Then reconnecting the cluster with the electrical still running. Lastly took the key out the ignition and then tried to start the car fully after and it fixed it. I’ve found out that the button for driver assistance error happens every time you disconnect your battery, you would have to repeat this process if you disconnect it again.

I will ask my mechanic to try this out this week.
vw_passat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 00:10   #622
BHPian

It has been about 5 months since I started facing the above problems with my Passat but could not find a permanent fix. Until now it seemed like an intermittent problem and I was still able to use the car everyday but since last couple of days the car refuses to start.

As soon as I turn the ignition on a warning "Button for driver assistance systems faulty" pops up followed by " Error : Brakes workshop" while this happens The steering light, check engine light, ABS, Airbag and the tyre pressure indicator stay lighted.

As I try to start the car, it starts up for a second and turns off. Spoke to the VW work shop and they are guessing that its got something to do with the ECM or the steering control module.

I tried removing the battery terminals for a while and retried but its still the same. Its so frustrating now.

I was hoping that someone in the thread who hada similar issue might share some inputs.
Old 16th February 2024, 17:05   #623
BHPian

My car has clocked 2,08,000 kms as on date, and it was time to change the timing kit ( the previous change was at 1,27,000 kms). Had been chasing VW guys for the same, They had quoted 34K for the job and i asked them to order the parts, a month of dilly dallying later, i told them not to bother.
Managed to source Continental Timing kit for the Passat from my parts supplier for a princely sum of Rs.10,800. Will have it fitted this sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20240213_1807102_copy_1678x1038.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20240213_180734_copy_2320x1044.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20240213_1807202_copy_962x1148.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20240213_181106_copy_1044x2320.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20240213_1810162_copy_887x1386.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-img_20240213_181012_copy_1044x2320.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks