Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road

Wow amazing Sree. This is surely mother of all travelogues . Waiting for entire story to unfold. Once again I can't tell you how amazed I am that someone would consider driving to Bhutan from Bangalore .
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:13   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on an amazing trip. This should inspire people to travel far and wide in an i20. I am curious to know how you managed to pack (and convince family) for a 20 day trip in the available boot space.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is amazing trip and you've really taken road tripping to the next level. I'm really eager to know about the road condition from Orissa onwards. Also waiting eagerly for the next lot of photograph and log. Keep them coming fast..
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Awesome travelogue sir. I would have missed this, if i had not bumped you on the road today morning. Hats off to your courage.
@ rk_sans, It was nice response from you in the Morning. Thanks for the appreciation.
regards
sree70
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:48   #35
BHPian

supertinu, vishwas,kaushiks, judemayne
Thank u Guys!!!
@ vishwas, Convincing the family was really tough & needs special talent.
Packing was wifeys job. The packing occupied 300lts Boot space completely & also 60% of rear passengers seats.
@ judemayne, Hope this travelogue will help you and I will try to put as much things as possible.

Please pardon me for taking the Travelogue @ Tortoise speed
sree70 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:41   #36
BHPian

Contd.,
Got confused seeing empty check post structures @ Orissa entrance and then realized its still not in use. Little further distance were sighting a massive lorry jam (for about 2KMS) which were waiting for check post clearance to enter into orissa.
Initially tried to sneak through few parked lorries, but could manage only for a short distance. Further it was totally jammed and only two wheelers could manage to pass through lorries. It was raining & we were totally struck in between.
Somehow I managed to get out of the car with an umbrella and spoke to few drivers about getting out of the mess. The information was that it would take at least 4to5hrs to come out of the mess following the lane. They guided us to take the opposite side of the Highway & rejoin the regular lane @ check post.
Also saw a cleaner cooking under the chassis of a parked lorry. (Life in India)
Took the risk, reversed the vehicle & entered the opposite lane & drove slowly and rejoined the regular highway to Kolkata. The security guard @ the check post gave us the signal to pass the gate without any checking, toll fees & harassment.Entered Orissa state for the 1st time in our lives. It was 2-30PM by then & we all were hungry. Din't find any hotels nearby, so filled up with carried dry snacks & also filled up I20. The petrol costed 51.16per Ltr .
Continued the journey & found the road conditions becoming bad but manageable. Saw lot of road development works going on in Orissa after the check-post.
From Orissa border to Rambha certain stretches are 2lane & had to pass through town which slowed our speed drastically. Certain stretches were too good & newly laid and some were bad. It was Mixed bag.
After Rambha had a glimpse of Chillika lake & clicked few snaps.
Passing through Barkool reached Balugaon and saw an attractive sweet stall. The taste buds opened up & asked for few. Had local Chats & enjoyed the sweets. The Roads after Balugaon improved from bad to Good and speeded upto Bhubhaneshwar. The city traffic welcomed us & slowed down the Journey. Reached Bhubhaneshwar @ 7-30pm & crossed Cuttack @8-20pm. It was a hard drive managing through evening traffic.
Saw Reliance Gas station & food Dhaba but both were closed. Had Dinner @ Chandikol road side Dhaba. The food was below average and the clock was ticking around 9-30PM.
As the road conditions were good, continued the Journey upto to Bhadrak.
It was 10.30pm and thought of having rest in Bhadrak. Wifey saw a lodge on NH5 with lot of cars parked. We decided to Night halt in the above lodge (Hotel Orion).
TOTAL DRIVEN DISTANCE: 589 .00KMS
TOTAL DRIVEN TIME: 11Hrs 20Mins
Tariff for Accommodation: Hotel Orion, NH5,
Double Bed Room-Ac Rs.1050-00

to be contd.,
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:17   #37
BHPian

Contd.,
Got up @ 6-30am & sipped complimentary Hot Coffee. My I20 Chariot needed a clean wash after traversing through Rainy/dusty orissa highways. Got it done by Hotel staff @ a cost. Didn't wait for the complimentary b/f and left the lodge @ 8.30AM.
Restarted the Journey and the roads after Bhadrak upto Soro was in bad condition with lot of deviations. Passed Balaeshwar @ 9-30 and entered NH60. Clicked few snaps.
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:44   #38
BHPian

Sree-sorry for pre-empting your log-why did you not detour your drive a wee bit and visit the Puri Temple/Konark, as this was your first visit to the state. You could have stayed at Puri-No. of good Hotels/lodges-beach, shopping, good food, sweets all thrown in -just 60 kms from Bhubaneswar. Started early from Puri and crossed Orissa Border towards Bengal by AN??

Jude
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Sree-sorry for pre-empting your log-why did you not detour your drive a wee bit and visit the Puri Temple/Konark, as this was your first visit to the state. You could have stayed at Puri-No. of good Hotels/lodges-beach, shopping, good food, sweets all thrown in -just 60 kms from Bhubaneswar. Started early from Puri and crossed Orissa Border towards Bengal by AN??

Jude
Right Idea jude! Did exactly as per your thinking but it was on return journey.We didn't want to bore ourselves while coming back.
Regards
Sree
sree70 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:09   #40
BHPian

contd.,

Drove upto Odangi & @9-40AM had packed Bread/Butter/Jam- b/f along with fresh hot Tea on a road side Tea Stall. Tasted few local made Yummy namkeens. An other 1 hour drive took us to West Bengal check-post.
The scenario was same as Orissa c/p but here there was enough gap to squeeze in between. An attachment in the previous page explains the above Scenario. Crossed about 3KMS massive jam & entered WB.

Massive Lorry Jam
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-jam1.jpg

Good Boy following a Giant
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-lorry.jpg

After crossing the check post without any checking & entry tax collection, zoomed along empty roads.
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-empty-roads.jpg

On the way WB police stopped usfor checking of Vehicle documents / driver's license. They dint agree for the photo copies & insisted on Originals. I had secured them in the baggages in the Boot & when I opened the door, the policeman was surprised seeing the baggage. Asked whether i am shifting from Bangy to Kolkata. Briefed him about my Travel plans & he was . He forgot about scrutinizing my original documents & starting shooting lot of FAQ's. Answered him & received few information about safety on Roads in WB.
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-check.jpg

Maintaining Center of Gravity
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-centre.jpg

Contd., the Journey & the clock had just struck 11-00AM, the Roads then were in good conditions & luckily empty. Zoomed & entered the Oldest Metropolis (Kolkata). All of us shreiked OH! Kolkata . We could not believe our eyes that we had achieved our 1st destination.
@ 1-50PM Stopped on Vidya Sagar Setu for a while & clicked few snaps.

With the help of GPS navigator drove straight to Park Street & luckily found a parking slot free. Parked the I20 & rushed to "Dosas N More" Veg restaurant for Lunch. Had nice & full Lunch. Moved out of the place after brief refreshing @ 3-00PM.

NH5 > NH60
to be Contd.,
Attached Thumbnails
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-nh60.jpg  

Last edited by sree70 : 3rd May 2011 at 18:14.
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post

Please pardon me for taking the Travelogue @ Tortoise speed
Great Travelogue Sree70! Hats off to you and your family!

We dont mind the tortoise speed, your detailed style of writing is keeping me glued to the travelogue.

Keep it coming!
jaguar.runs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 09:14   #42
BHPian

Contd.,

EXPERIENCES IN KOLKATA

DAY3. 02-10-2010

VIEW OF HOWRAH BRIDGE FROM VIDYA SAGAR SETU
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_50101.jpg
After the Initial success of reaching Kolkata, minds were overjoyed & blank.
Also little bit confused about, what to do then?
Came out of the blues & put minds to work.
Fixed to visit Kalighat & take ferry ride @ Hooghly, Babu ghat.
The 1st thing was to search for a decent accommodation. Had the list of few lodges on Sudder Street. Drove to Sudder street & enquired about the availability. The lodges in Sudder street were too clumsy & crowded. Some how didn't like the place. Further local inquiries lead us to DK International Hotel & Resorts on Marquis Street near to Park Street. Checked into spacious 3Bed Ac deluxe room.
Took rest for a while & got refreshed. Thanked I20 a gave it a little bit rest.
Walked upto Park Street Metro station & bought tickets to Kalighat Station(KGS).
The tickets costed just RS.4/- per head.
In few minutes the coaches arrived & we stepped into another mode of transport.
PARK STREET METRO STATION

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-metro.jpg

A co-passenger advised us to get down @ Jatin Das park station rather than @ (KGS) by which the Kalighat would be shorter & walkable. Did the Same.
On the way to the temple a gang of touts tried to hijack us inside the Temple. But luckily my Wifey's friend who stays in Kolkata had warned about these guys over phone.
We dint budge to them & rushed into the Temple. Had Darshan of Kalima & the priest performed some pooja for us & forcibly grabbed 500/- note.
It's complete mess near the Sanctum Sanctorm.
Came out & took few Snaps. We were very much dehydrated. We are not used to Kolkata humid type weather.Sipped lots of Juices & fizzy drinks.

to be Contd.,

Attached Thumbnails
Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5030.jpg  

Last edited by sree70 : 4th May 2011 at 09:24.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:29   #43
BHPian

Excellent travelogue Sree.. completely glued.. every time I open the portal i search for updates in your travelogue.. keep it coming..

Raghu Lakshman
tmnraghu78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 11:36   #44
BHPian

Contd., Day.4 / 02-10-2010

After a short ride in underground Kolkata Metro train, it was to time to experience Yellow Taxi (YT). Caught hold of a YT & asked him to drop us at Babu Ghat. For a change I was a front passenger. The Amby yellow looked massive from outside & the interiors were clean. As usual the taxi Driver demonstrated his rash driving skills. These YT drivers don't fear to any one on Kolkata roads incldg., Police.

INSIDE YELLOW CHAMBER

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-img_5101.jpg

Paid Rs.145/- for the drop & sneaked into the Babu Ghat. Bought the 2Way Tickets for the Ferry ride (each way costing RS.12/-for 3). Actually the ferry transports people from Babu Ghat to Howrah ghat.
While waiting for the ferry sipped Lemon tea & ate pea nuts. The ferry moved in a slow pace. " From Rigid hard Highways to bumpy Waters"
As it was Gandhi Jayanthi, a special day for the whole nation the Massive Howrah Bridge was illuminated. It was charming sight & captured it on the bumping boat.

The Moving Ferry

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5058.jpg

Illuminated Howrah Structure

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5059.jpg

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5063.jpg

A Glimpse of Howrah Station

Sillicon Hub - Bangalore To Shiwalik Ranges -sikkim & Bhutan By Road-_mg_5052.jpg

After the ferry ride came back to Room in a YT. (RS.200/-)

By then it was Dinner Time.

to be contd.,
Old 4th May 2011, 11:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Travelogue is progressing wonderfully Sree. Amazing pics. I specifically liked the pic of the illuminated Howrah Bridge. What a sight it must have been.
Kudos to you.
And would like to hear about the conversation between you and the WB Police on seeing your baggage.
Keep up the speed. Waiting for more updates.

EDIT: The pic of massive road jam "road jam-1" pic is outstanding. Feels like a out of India place, somehwere in the countryside of Europe

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 4th May 2011 at 11:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks