Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 20:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss

10 days of bliss!! And that too in the lap of nature. What wouldn't I give to get 10 days like that.

Thanks for sharing
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 20:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful trip.
The picture of you with your little one, with the sun painting the sky in the backdrop is a priceless capture. Your mom-the-great is a real artist with the camera.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 20:47   #33
BHPian

Thank you Ampere. Yes, its lower Sholayar. Indraprastha bunglow belongs to waterfall estates. We stayed for one night at Monica, Woodbriar and two
nights at Indraprastha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A nice travelogue and well written. Sholayar snap was very nice. (Thats the lower Sholayar I hope). Also, did you stay in waterfall bungalow, or you went there to take a look?
We did not see the deer. Yes Rangan and Viswanath were the cooks. Regarding the birds, I bet its the sweetest melody. Even the KDHP bunglow had some great musicians around. The director's bunglow comes in the route you and me took for the drive. I think Stanmore is somewhere else.

Both Woodbriar and Waterfall estate bunglows were great in their own rights. To be fair to Woodbriar, I stayed in the best of the three Waterfall bunglow and the second best of the three Woodbriar ones. Woodbriar is certainly expensive when compared to Waterfall(5050 at Indraprastha vs 7475 at Stanmore and 4400 at Monica - for 3 "non-veg" adults, all 3 meals). The luxury and interiors of Waterfall were definitely better compared to Monica. The estate drives were better at Woodbriar estates. The facility to play baddy was great at Waterfall. The 200 year old bunglow visit and nature walk arranged by Woodbriar was great. The surroundings and the peace you experience at Waterfall is unmatched (At woodbriar the main estate road was just 20ms away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Ahh so you stayed at Monica Garden bungalow. When we went we had the entire bungalow to enjoy. Is Rangan still the cook there? Did you manage to see the barking deer which religiously appears in the morning and evening near the gate? One more thing about the place is that you wake up quite early because of the cacophony of noises created by the wide array of birds. Valparai is certainly bliss. Now that we have somebody who has stayed at both Woodbriar and Waterfall it would be interesting to hear the comparisons. The director's bungalow you are referring must be the Stanmore Bungalow, their flagship property, fabulous place with tea gardens all around.

I remember my wife and myself going on an estate drive the evening we reached there, narrow winding roads with forest on one side and tea estates on the other. Reached till Kurangu Mudi and turned back because it was quite spooky to say the least. Incidentally the road via Kurangu Mudi is the original Valparay - Chalakudy state highway.
Old 11th May 2011, 21:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

VW, you are making all others very jealous/tempting to visit these places, with the best pictures.

BTW, how is the road condition between Valparai and Athirampally?

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 21:56   #35
BHPian

Thank You Ravi. Do plan a trip. The road was not that great as you can see. But definitely manageable and interesting considering the surroundings. You can aaram se go at 30-50kms/hr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
VW, you are making all others very jealous/tempting to visit these places, with the best pictures.

BTW, how is the road condition between Valparai and Athirampally?

-Ravi
Old 12th May 2011, 22:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Thank You Ravi. Do plan a trip. The road was not that great as you can see. But definitely manageable and interesting considering the surroundings. You can aaram se go at 30-50kms/hr
Yea, i've been to all these 3 places, but its time to refresh the memories by doing another trip

-Ravi
Old 13th May 2011, 12:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Lovely travelogue and more than lovely pictures,the KD bungalows are a real find.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 11:21   #38
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

VW, this is an excellent TLog.....it's like a long story written in parts...lovely. Superb pictures to complement the narration !!!
After reading this, it feels like I've traveled to all these places virtually.
Old 1st June 2011, 12:18   #39
BHPian

Thank you NPV. This is great encouragement to learn to click and write better Actually the places and the experiences are great teachers aswell. Have you been to Valparai?
Old 1st June 2011, 15:53   #40
BHPian

@VindyWheels.
Excellent writeup and amazing snaps.

Could you please share the details about how to get bookings for the bunglows? I never knew these bunglows were open for the public.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:40   #41
BHPian

Thank U Basil, the details are there in the first page where I've replied to Ampere.

Rgds
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
@VindyWheels.
Excellent writeup and amazing snaps.

Could you please share the details about how to get bookings for the bunglows? I never knew these bunglows were open for the public.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:42   #42
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you NPV. This is great encouragement to learn to click and write better Actually the places and the experiences are great teachers aswell. Have you been to Valparai?
Hi VW, I've never been to Valparai. After reading your travelogue and others here on TBHP it's now on my list of places to see.
In my younger days I've heard a lot of stories about the Aliyar dam from my grandmother. My grandfather was an expert in tranmission systems and was working for TNEB and Aliyar was one of his postings several years ago.
I recently drove to Munnar via Coimbatore, Pollachi, Udumalaipet, etc so I'm hoping I can plan a similar trip sometime to see Aliyar dam and Valparai since they seem to be not far from each other when I looked at the map.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hi VW, I've never been to Valparai. After reading your travelogue and others here on TBHP it's now on my list of places to see.
In my younger days I've heard a lot of stories about the Aliyar dam from my grandmother. My grandfather was an expert in tranmission systems and was working for TNEB and Aliyar was one of his postings several years ago.
I recently drove to Munnar via Coimbatore, Pollachi, Udumalaipet, etc so I'm hoping I can plan a similar trip sometime to see Aliyar dam and Valparai since they seem to be not far from each other when I looked at the map.
Aliyar is one among the beautiful dams along western ghats and water levels are full during any part of the year. There is a small guest house on the dam which was shot in the 70s Tamil Film - "Kaadhalikka Neramillai".
Also do visit Vethathiri Maharishi Ashram, 2 kms from Aliyar dam which is haven for those who meditate.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:05   #44
BHPian

Hi, didnt know abt this ashram. Great info. Which route is to be taken from Aliyar dam?

Thnks
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Aliyar is one among the beautiful dams along western ghats and water levels are full during any part of the year. There is a small guest house on the dam which was shot in the 70s Tamil Film - "Kaadhalikka Neramillai".
Also do visit Vethathiri Maharishi Ashram, 2 kms from Aliyar dam which is haven for those who meditate.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, didnt know abt this ashram. Great info. Which route is to be taken from Aliyar dam?

Thnks
VW
Towards Valparai, 2 kms from Aliyar Dam.
More info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks