Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 14:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
A couple of weeks back, I had watched a program on this place hosted on Highway On My Plate. Your experience seems to corroborate what Rocky and Mayur had stated - a fantastic place to stay and unwind and of course get cheesy! Waiting for the photos. How much did the stay cost you (Food and Stay)?
Exactly, i too watched this program.. They showed the different varieties of cheese they have and how they store it in the rack and stuff..It was a great episode of highway on my plate.I dint knew there was cottages in Acres wild
Old 10th June 2011, 19:11   #17
BHPian

Cheese Tasting!!

Don't ask me how I managed to transport 3 and half kilos of cheese starting from the 27th of May from Coonoor, stopping for 4 days at Bangalore and 2 days at Pune finally doing 1500 kms and reaching Bombay on the 3rd of June.

The 12v thermo electric cooler that I got from Croma sure helped. Cant call it a chiller, its a cooler. But it did the job. The cheese was packed in tight and getting it out of the cooler and into a fridge in bangalore and then back in and into a fridge in Pune and then finally to Mumbai was a pain

Was it worth it? Oh yes

Would I do it again. I dont think so

So for the cheese:

They have cream cheese which is absolutely divine, spread on toast or crackers

Pepper
Herb and garlic
Indian Summer

The herb garlic is my favorite

The pepper is great

And the Indian Summer is well... good

Now to the hard cheese:

There's

Gouda
Smoked Gouda
Monterey Jack
Parmesan
Haloumi
Greek Feta (that they call Gretta)
Colby
Gruyere

Disclaimer: I am no cheese connoisseur. I just tell by what is good on my palette. Just like I am no connoisseur of wine but can tell a good wine from a bad one

The gouda is superb. Taste and texture is fantastic
The smoked gouda not so good

The Parmesan is very good. They have yet to get in a skimmer to skim the milk required to make authentic parmesan that shaves off and crumbles nice, but the taste is great

The Colby is nice

The Gretta that i made a couple of salads with is fantastic. Super hit with everyone who tasted it. Feta, tomatoes, basil leaves, garlic and crsuhed pepper are an ensemble cast made in heaven

The Gruyere is nice. Especially if you like smelly mouldy cheese

The M Jack and Haloumi are the ones I have yet to try. The Haloumi has a very high melting point and so will grill very well. So that's on the weekend menu...

Trying to get Mansoor and Tina to figure out a cold supply chain to get the cheese to Mumbai and other metros. But he has his hands full with local orders as it is. I guess once he ramps up his output he will start thinking about it seriously

All the cheese is very reasonably priced at 800 rupees a kilo. Now I am comparing the cost against cheese of a similar type and quality. Amul processed cheese will obviously be cheaper

Only the Camembert is priced at 1200 a kilo. But that still compares favorably against the 3500 rupees a kilo it will cost you at the local deli or super market
53BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 19:42   #18

And some more images from the trip. Fishing, milking, cottages, driveways and the property.
Attached Thumbnails
Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6699a.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6745a.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6755a.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6757a.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6759.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6762.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6769a.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6797.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6810a.jpg  

Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay @ Coonoor-img_6784a.jpg  

deveshraig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 10:10   #19
BHPian

Thanks Devesh

And welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveshraig View Post
And some more images from the trip. Fishing, milking, cottages, driveways and the property.
Old 6th May 2024, 21:57   #20
BHPian

I had visited the Aces Wild and stayed for 4 nights at Cheddar back in 2021.

I tried booking a stay a couple of months back and realized that the property has been sold by Mansoor Khan.

Does anybody know if this property will re-open and if so in what shape? It was a one-of-a-kind experience in the bustle of the Nilgiris.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks