Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 11:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ombattu Gudda: A mystery unveiled - A Trekkalog

^^ More info can be found in Today's (07-02-2012) Times of India.
Check the below link
"Hassan: The body of a 21-year-old engineering student from Bangalore who drowned in the Devaragundi Falls in the dense Kabbinale forest on Saturday was fished out on Monday after a 40-hour frenetic search."
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Daily...efault&pub=TOI
Sad end.

Some s/w engineers were arrested and released on bail for trekking without the permission frm the forest officials
Old 7th February 2012, 14:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs View Post
Boss
I was reading the online version of Bangalore Mirror today and was awestruck about the group of students who went to this place and ended in tragedy for one of them. Hats off to you and co for having a safe journey and giving us this detailed travelogue. If only those group of students were members of Team-Bhp.

Cheers
Subs
Yep, this is the same place. I don't remember the waterfalls though, it could have been on a different route than the one I took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
^^ More info can be found in Today's (07-02-2012) Times of India.
Check the below link
"Hassan: The body of a 21-year-old engineering student from Bangalore who drowned in the Devaragundi Falls in the dense Kabbinale forest on Saturday was fished out on Monday after a 40-hour frenetic search."
e-paper Sign-in
Sad end.

Some s/w engineers were arrested and released on bail for trekking without the permission frm the forest officials
Really a sad story. When one goes out trekking, he must realise the dangers that he will be facing in a forest. One should always be on his guard. I don't know the reason of the boy's death, but I'm sure this is a lesson for all other trekkers out there.

I think all the arrests are just a PR stunt. With all the bad publicity the Forest Department are getting, they just want to show that they have done something. 2-3 weeks down the line, it will all be back to normal.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:08   #63
BHPian

Addy, subs and Sushrutha, been following this news for the last 2 days - from addy's trekkalog it was more than clear that it's a tough trek - wish people take basic care before attempting risky things. Just like that guy who was mauled by elephants try to save his camera at Mantapa village in Anekal a few weeks back.

Also see that they didn't have the requisite permissions, were they part of any registered club ? ( may be not as registered clubs would seek all clearances before ?)

I also recently read that someone undertook the Sakleshpur railway track trek route despite knowing that the rail services are on ( he perhaps knew the train timings, but still )
Old 7th February 2012, 15:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Sometime back probably 2-3 years down the line, two tourists/trekkers went on for a jovial walk in this dense forest near Sakleshpura only to get lost in this dense forest. The bodies (rather skeleton with gold chain) were found after 4-6 months of intense search.
I hope addy might remember this story.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Addy, subs and Sushrutha, been following this news for the last 2 days - from addy's trekkalog it was more than clear that it's a tough trek - wish people take basic care before attempting risky things. Just like that guy who was mauled by elephants try to save his camera at Mantapa village in Anekal a few weeks back.

Also see that they didn't have the requisite permissions, were they part of any registered club ? ( may be not as registered clubs would seek all clearances before ?)

I also recently read that someone undertook the Sakleshpur railway track trek route despite knowing that the rail services are on ( he perhaps knew the train timings, but still )
Rightly said, people must put their safety first before attempting any silly things.

I don't think the trekkers belonged to any registered club. They were just normal college students who were out for some adventure. Sadly, for them, it became a hell of an adventure. Most of the people who go out trekking do not go through registered trekking clubs. I, myself have not gone trekking with any of the 'registered' trekking clubs.

Regarding permissions, I would say, the process of getting permissions is not at all easy. If that were a bit easier, I'm sure most would get permissions before they enter the forests.

The Sakaleshpura railway track trek too is being restricted nowadays. I heard from a Bhpian who went on this trek recently, that the trekkers were sent back after about 5 kms from Donigal station. When I did the trek about 4 years back, I encountered trains approx every 2 hrs. Maybe now, the frequency has increased. There is no need to worry though, there is ample space alongside the tracks to let the trains pass by.

Quote:
Sometime back probably 2-3 years down the line, two tourists/trekkers went on for a jovial walk in this dense forest near Sakleshpura only to get lost in this dense forest. The bodies (rather skeleton with gold chain) were found after 4-6 months of intense search.
Yep, I do remember the story. There were 3 of them and apparently all the three were experienced trekkers. They went out there during peak monsoon. I have trekked with one of the persons who found their bodies (skeletons rather) and according to his opinion, the three of them were separated by either an attack from a wild animal (maybe an elephant) or by a landslide/flash flood. In the panic, they lost their bags and with it, their food supplies. It seems they found 2 bodies together and the third one a couple of kms away. I don't remember the exact details though as it has been 3 years since I heard this story.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 16:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Rightly said, people must put their safety first before attempting any silly things.
Just have to read the latest story of a group of amateur trekkers from BMS College wherein one of them lost the life when he slipped and fell in the waterfalls to understand how important safety and planning is.

Here's is the news story on this

B’lore youth drowns in waterfalls

Here's is the news item on the trekkers who turned into skeletons

Skeletons of 3 trekkers from B?lore found at Sakleshpur - Deccan Herald - Internet Edition
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 17:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
@Sushrutha - It was 6 years back (2006). I knew them personally. It was 3 of them. They had gone to Sakleshpur on a recce.

They were very experienced trekkers. Each one of them had about 10 or more years of trekking experience. They had their own trekking club - Safe Outdoors - of which I was a part.

Their bodies were found after a year and was identified by their family members based on the dental and few other identifications on the skeleton. Nobody till date knows what exactly happened to them.

Was a very tragic incident and miss them to this day.
a*ed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 00:48   #68
BHPian

while doing our Engg course, we used to trek there very often...one of the most hair raising and sure death possibility is getting caught in a flash flood or a cloud burst. Have experienced it once in the subramanya range where every leaf and twig that fell because of the rain and wind sounded like a elephant charging towards us...gives me the heebies even now.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
while doing our Engg course, we used to trek there very often...one of the most hair raising and sure death possibility is getting caught in a flash flood or a cloud burst. Have experienced it once in the subramanya range where every leaf and twig that fell because of the rain and wind sounded like a elephant charging towards us...gives me the heebies even now.
I have experienced something similar in Kumaraparvatha sometime last March. We were almost at the peak late in the evening and it started raining hailstones. Since we were in an open area, we did not even have cover. There was lightening all round us everywhere. We were not prepared for rain in the summer and did not carry any rain protection gear. Reluctantly, we made back to Bhattara Mane as we could not move ahead in this weather. The water was coming down in torrents.

But, as scary as it was, I would say I was looking at the most beautiful place ever in my trekking history. The sight of water cascading down the huge rockface on the side of the mountain was a sight to see. Too bad I could not take out my camera (because of the rain)
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:20   #70
BHPian

@addyhemmige - you are damm lucky to have been on this trek; and it is really a sad to hear the recent story - reminding me of the 'Blaire Witch Project'.

I guess this trail is off the list of trekking places in karnataka; this will have cascading effect on other forest treks now and it has already become very difficult to secure formal permissions.
Invader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 20:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

Super duper write up!

I rejoiced every word of it and enjoyed feeling the beautiful pictures. Very very detailed. Surely was very adventurous. Finding way, making way, managing to camp and cook and to make fire, getting lost and all of it!

Just awesome! I am sure I will do this trek in 2013. Hope forest officials dont put me in jail too

I also hope I am not discovered as skeleton after few months/years after I start the trek.

Hoping to do the trek with you Adi! All the while, I only knew the Fiatiam in you. I missed seeing the trekker in you. Parag Sachania, over a biriyani meet today noon told me about your trekking aspect while we were planning our next KP trek next weekend. Looking at all the albums on your facebook, its very evident how much you love trekking. I am more of an amateur in this area and I have only done treks to Kumara Parvata (6 times and next weekened would be 7th)

Those who are inspired to trek to OG or PK or anywhere else, please follow the golden rule good trekkers follow "LEAVE NO TRACE"!
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 17:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Super duper write up!

Hoping to do the trek with you Adi!
Those who are inspired to trek to OG or PK or anywhere else, please follow the golden rule good trekkers follow "LEAVE NO TRACE"!
Ha ha ha, thanks a lot Karthik , your compliment is very detailed too. We'll do a trek sometime for sure. All the best for the KP trek!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks