Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 17:03   #886
BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 12
Jeep Captain's PhotoLogue
Aug 23, Kargil-Padum, 248 kms

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum641.jpg

TS in Action.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum642.jpg

Team on the look out for Marmots.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum645.jpg

Looks like TS located a Marmot.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum646.jpg

All the shutter bugs running after Marmots. While rest of the team Watching.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum647.jpg

TS - Delighted to be here for the 4th time. .

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum648.jpg

TS - And his Expressions.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum649.jpg

Anyone knows the name of this plant/flower?

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum650.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 8th November 2011 at 17:07.
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 17:21   #887
BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 12

Some more Videos from my side.

Photo break on Suru River Bank.

Old 8th November 2011, 17:25   #888
BHPian

Day 12

Another video - Parkatchik Glacier View.

Sorry for the back to back posting. I tried posting mutilple videos in one post and its not working for some reason.
Old 8th November 2011, 17:34   #889
BHPian

Day 12

NJ Posing with Discovery Bolero.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum643.jpg

NJ, TS, HVK & BolBolero in some serious discussion. Topic - Marmots??

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum644.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum651.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum652.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum653.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum654.jpg

TS & no_enthu_da (Baby Alto)

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum655.jpg

TS - Always ready and first one to jump out for a good click.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum656.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum657.jpg

BolBolero cutting through the snow melt water. While returning next day the water level was much higher than this.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum658.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 8th November 2011 at 17:51.
Old 8th November 2011, 17:39   #890
BHPian

Fantastic narration (HVK) and pics (Lalu, Bol Bolero, KSM Vtec, NED and Jeep captain).
I did miss a lot of fun. Waiting for the "real fun" story about your return.
akaush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 18:19   #891
BHPian

Day 12

Rangdum - The most important town/village between Kargil and Padum. We had lunch there and took a good break before we head on to Padum.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum701.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum702.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum703.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum704.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum705.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum706.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum707.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum708.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum709.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum710.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum711.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum712.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum713.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum714.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum715.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum716.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum717.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum718.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum719.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum720.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum721.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum722.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum723.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum724.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum725.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum726.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum727.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum728.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum729.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-padum730.jpg
Old 8th November 2011, 18:39   #892
BHPian

Padum & Zanskar Valley:

Amazingly tranquil, raw, earthy places.

But cannot accessible with cars, Jeep is the king.
Old 8th November 2011, 18:44   #893
BHPian

Day 12

Another Interesting Video with discussion between HVK & TS about Glaciers and Glaciaology.

JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 18:52   #894
BHPian

HVK,
I cannot lose this stretch on my forthcoming tour.
But I am sure Linea cannot cross these roads(?).

Where should I stop and park the Linea to continue travel on share-jeep?
I mean which is the last point/town till where somewhat sane ROADS, read tarred roads available to go to Zanskar valley ?
Old 8th November 2011, 18:54   #895
Senior - BHPian

You can park your Linea at Kargil.
One way trip from Leh to Padhum was quoted at Rs11000 + by the taxi wallas.
It's not that Linea cannot do, but you'll be very slow for comfort.
Old 8th November 2011, 21:34   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
HVK,
I cannot lose this stretch on my forthcoming tour.
But I am sure Linea cannot cross these roads(?).

Where should I stop and park the Linea to continue travel on share-jeep?
I mean which is the last point/town till where somewhat sane ROADS, read tarred roads available to go to Zanskar valley ?
As Lalu said, Kargil is the place to park your car if you do not want to take the Linea to Padum. There are many sections where large stones and rocks are unevenly on the road - and long wheelbase cars like the Linea can take a hit. With lots of skill, you can drive the full sector - like rkbharat did with his SX4 last month - but the problem is staying en route. IF you are slowed down, you will reach Rangdum at best and stay back there - acco is very poor there, although I did see a temporary "deluxe" camp site which I suspect must be fully booked by trekker groups on their way to and fro Padum. The JKTDC at Rangdum may or may not be open, and I think the only place to stay at will be the 3-4 tea stalls.
Old 8th November 2011, 21:52   #897
BHPian

Day 12

All pics in the post is by TS

After lunch at Rangdum we proceeded to Padum and soon we reached near the Rangdum Gompa.
Here HVK decided to take a short cut route which goes very close to the Gompa which saved few kilometers and avoid a pbad patch of road. And that new route was full of water small crossings. Seeing that I screamed with joy!!I was just waiting for such an opportunity!!

For two reasons.

1) After the long drive from Kargil through dusty roads Discovery Bolero needed a wash
And
2) I badly wanted to play in water.

First it was HVK who crossed followed by BolBolero - Rangdum Gompa is seen ahead.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-005.jpg

BolBolero Crossing

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-007.jpg

BolBolero Crossing

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-006.jpg

Seeing the water crossing, Meself , TS, JP & NJ made a quick plan. We decided to have some good fun there. All my three teammembers got out with cameras and were standing in position to shoot.

Since it was high speed action pics Only TS was able to get good quality pics. Thanks a lot TS for the lovely pics. Videos to Follow.

I did the crossing atleast 4 times back and forth for better pics. Here is the result.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-008.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-009.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-010.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-011.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-012.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-013.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-021.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-022.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-023.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-002.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-003.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bolero-loves-play-rangdum-004.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 8th November 2011 at 21:54.
Old 8th November 2011, 22:19   #898
BHPian

Day 12

Video of the Bolero Water Crossing in Rangdum
JeepCaptain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 22:55   #899
BHPian

Just curious - how the people living over there coping with cold temps? What are they using for heating? I guess whatever is laid on the roof of the buildings in above pics, is that for insulation?
Old 8th November 2011, 23:17   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
Just curious - how the people living over there coping with cold temps? What are they using for heating? I guess whatever is laid on the roof of the buildings in above pics, is that for insulation?
Winter temperatures in some of the places like Rangdum are (-) 20-30 C, but they are permanently inhabited. The people are also cut off for at least 3 months every year. The straw on the roof is fodder for cattle and goats that they normally have. You may notice that traditional buildings have lots of wood insulation - similar to architecture in Bhutan & Sikkhim - which presumably keeps the insides warm. Alas, new buildings use tin roofs, surely the worst place to shelter from the cold.

Along the Kargil-Padum road, the road is closed beyond Parkachik (in Suru Valley,where we saw the first Parkachik Glacier), and the region till Abran on the other side of Pensi la (in Zanskar Valley) is totally inaccessible by road during the winter months. The road is also one of the last ones to be reopened in the Ladakh region and the steep road sections that you saw in the photos after Parkachik are treacherous slush and rubble, making it impossible for even 4WD vehicles to drive on it.

Needless to say, there is no concept of central heating, but I guess kerosene is in plentiful supply and used as heating fuel.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks