Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 08:59   #106
BHPian

Re: Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days

Great Story with awesome pictures. I can't find a similarly detailed and spirited story on Europe travel not only in tbhp, nowhere on the net.
Super story with super micro detailed information.

I hereby withdraw my "hurry up dude" and similar comments. Take your time man... such a creation will take a lawwwwt of effort. We (me & wife) offer you our heartfelt thanks. Reading your story is not only entertaining, but also gives a ray of hope to our middle class lives that someday we can follow your footsteps.

Thanks, thanks and... hurry up please!

EDIT: Got into some trouble at home with mom after setting you "another one" as wallpaper.

Last edited by sen2009 : 20th September 2011 at 09:01.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 10:31   #107
BHPian

TSK...we don't mind sightseeing Vienna for one more day, more photos pl.

Whenever i go to Europe, i
- Wonder how it is so so clean ?
- How those statues and buildings are maintained so well despite the heavy snow ?
- How the vehicles on the road move so synchronised to the right (slower lanes) when one overtakes (no honking, no furious flashing of headlights).

And then come back to my dear India and
- Wish my country was so clean
- Wish we had better civic sense
- Wish we Indians had better road manners.
Old 20th September 2011, 18:56   #108
Team-BHP Support

Day 2 #4: Museum square

Museumsquartier is our station for the next destination, which is the Maria-Theresa-Square.
This area is famous for, well, Museums.

Since it has some lovely statues, and also some trams running on the street, and has a typical European feel, we decided to stroll the whole area.

This region can be called the cultural center of Vienna, or the city center in true sense.
you start from one end, see the Museums, the Parliament, and then proceed through Hofburg palace and continue NE to end up in Stephenplaz.

A shot of the street near the metro station
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0638l.jpg

A Baroque building
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0640l.jpg
These buildings have been maintained very very well. They look as if they are new. Restoration is done regularly, and care is taken to use original color schemes without alteration

the cables you see are for hanging the traffic lights. Erecting poles will destroy the "image" of the location
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0641l.jpg

Another shot of the building
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0645l.jpg

A short walk brings us to the the destination, the Maria-Theresa-Platz. Platz means square(and it can be circle too), while strasse means road in all of German speaking Europe.
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0647l.jpg
There she sits, on her throne
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0648l.jpg

I think this was the museum of fine arts, right opposite the Museum of Natural History. If you are a museum buff, and you had to visit just one Museum in Vienna, I guess, Museum of natural history would be the one. Since we are not museum buffs, you will get to see it only from outside
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0655l.jpg
This painted gentleman is Mozart
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0656l.jpg
Now Mozart is a very big thing in Austria.Esp Salzburg. While Vienna is more or less safe from Mozartification, Salzburg has been completely taken over

Now, this gentleman is not actually Mozart(unless he's turned into a Zombie), but is merely dressed as Mozart.
If you put coins in his tumbler, he will wave and let you get your picture clicked with him.

And this is the Facade of the Museum of Natural history
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0659l.jpg

And this ladies and gentleman is a statue of an Elephant. Do not forget to sit on his trunk and get your photo clicked.

Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0660l.jpg

I somehow liked this shot.
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0662l.jpg

Right near the entrance there is statue of Europa. She is Europe, or the Greek goddess from whose name Europe was derived. Look at the similarity to Statue of Liberty.
Name:  DSC0663L.jpg
Views: 4334
Size:  177.7 KB

The tarp on the left is for protecting a restored section. Almost every historical building had this tarp somewhere or other. As I mentioned earlier, they take their buildings very seriously

On the other side of the door is America and Australia. Notice, America is not wearing a hat, and neither is Australia, and the reason is simple. These statues depict the original inhabitants of the two continents
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0664l.jpg

A shot near the ticket counter
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0665l.jpg

We did not go in(I told you so!)
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 19:00   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I can't help but wonder at the sheer size of these gardens. Immaculately maintained and spotlessly clean. Compare them with say the Taj Mahal gardens and the difference is apparent.

People, people and people who on seeing green grass won't hesitate in laying our a dari and then out comes the eatables.

I haven't been to any other big ones so not sure how they are...

Sorry for sidetracking...
Well, I guess we could keep watering the grass, and after a few "wet" episodes, they will stop
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
You can say that again. The palaces and castles are a far cry from the kind we are used toseeing in India. In terms of area and vastness.

I was surprised to see Napolean's bed in Versailles, Paris was something like 6X4 and Kind Ludwig's bed in Neuschwanstein, Bavaria was 6X3.
Now 6x3 bed is seriously small for a king
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Tanveer,

Excellent TL and story.. Awesome is one word..

Cant agree with you more as I am myself cherishing Scandinavian countries as i write this

Cant resist posting these two pictures i managed to take with fz35

Panoramic View of Ocean from a island in Northern Europe
Attachment 612033

Seaside Water front

Attachment 612034
You are in the most beautiful part of Europe. Do post a travelogue too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Great Story with awesome pictures. I can't find a similarly detailed and spirited story on Europe travel not only in tbhp, nowhere on the net.
Super story with super micro detailed information.

I hereby withdraw my "hurry up dude" and similar comments. Take your time man... such a creation will take a lawwwwt of effort. We (me & wife) offer you our heartfelt thanks. Reading your story is not only entertaining, but also gives a ray of hope to our middle class lives that someday we can follow your footsteps.

Thanks, thanks and... hurry up please!

EDIT: Got into some trouble at home with mom after setting you "another one" as wallpaper.
I will give you some more statue pics. She will definitely throw you out of the house
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
TSK...we don't mind sightseeing Vienna for one more day, more photos pl.

Whenever i go to Europe, i
- Wonder how it is so so clean ?
- How those statues and buildings are maintained so well despite the heavy snow ?
- How the vehicles on the road move so synchronised to the right (slower lanes) when one overtakes (no honking, no furious flashing of headlights).

And then come back to my dear India and
- Wish my country was so clean
- Wish we had better civic sense
- Wish we Indians had better road manners.
Yes, even I wish so!
Old 21st September 2011, 08:43   #110
BHPian

Like many others, I lurk around TBHP all day everyday without typing any comment anywhere. This time you've really motivated my right hand to leave mouse and my left hand to leave my chin alone and actually type something to appreciate awe-inspiring sights. I am really enjoying Europe through your camera lens. I am a huge fan of blue skies and bright sunlight. Top it up with sculptures and nature, you make me speechless. You've had me glued mate....
Punzabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 12:52   #111
BHPian

Tanveer,
I just couldn't resist appreciating your efforts of putting such a wonderful travelogue of your trip.
Thanks to you we are able to tour Europe through your eyes..

Coverage and write-up are fantastic with cryptic description of each and every snap.
Kudos to you boss !! Just can't thank you enough !!

Thank you very very much !! God Bless You !!

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 14:24   #112
BHPian

Nice write up Tanveer. You can experience The beauty of Europe with your lens and pen.

Cheers
wolg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 14:36   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Like many others, I lurk around TBHP all day everyday without typing any comment anywhere. This time you've really motivated my right hand to leave mouse and my left hand to leave my chin alone and actually type something to appreciate awe-inspiring sights. I am really enjoying Europe through your camera lens. I am a huge fan of blue skies and bright sunlight. Top it up with sculptures and nature, you make me speechless. You've had me glued mate....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Tanveer,
I just couldn't resist appreciating your efforts of putting such a wonderful travelogue of your trip.
Thanks to you we are able to tour Europe through your eyes..

Coverage and write-up are fantastic with cryptic description of each and every snap.
Kudos to you boss !! Just can't thank you enough !!

Thank you very very much !! God Bless You !!

Cheers
MKP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolg View Post
Nice write up Tanveer. You can experience The beauty of Europe with your lens and pen.

Cheers
Thanks for your wonderful comments. They motivate me to keep writing!
Will try to make atleast one update every day, and more updates on the weekends!
Old 21st September 2011, 18:49   #114
Team-BHP Support

Day 2 #5: The Parliament

We step out, and I take this pic
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0666l.jpg

Yet another lovely statue
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0673l.jpg

Another one
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0679l.jpg

Some more shots from the area
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0680l.jpg

This gentleman is ordering me to go to Museum, but I decide not to listen. We will head towards the Parliament now!
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0686l.jpg

now, Parliaments are really interesting structures in Europe. And the best part is that you can actually go till the door. Austrian Parliament is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Vienna.
We can catch the tram, but since its just a km, we decide to walk towards it

Across the road, I take this picture. This captures the facade with the statues in front. Truly an imposing sight.
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0692l.jpg

A closeup of the statue in front. Do you know who she is? Goddess of Wisdom
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0704l.jpg
I guess if they were to make a statue in front of our parliament, they would use the goddess of stupidity, or maybe put up the statue of a donkey there?

This fountain with the goddess is called the Pallas-Athene fountain.
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0705l.jpg

From Wikipedia
Quote:
The Athena Fountain (Pallas-Athene-Brunnen) in front of the Parliament was erected between 1893 and 1902 by Carl Kundmann, Josef Tautenhayn, and Hugo Haerdlt, based on the plans by Baron von Hansen. In the middle is a water-basin and a richly decorated base. The four lying figures at the foot of Athena are allegorical representations of the four most important rivers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They represent at the front the Danube and Inn, in the back part the Elbe and Vltava (German: Moldau) rivers. On the sides are little cupids riding dolphins. The statues of the Danube, Inn, and the cupids were executed by Haerdtl, those of the Elbe and Moldau by Kundmann. The female statues above represent the legislative and executive powers of the state, executed by Tautenhayn. They are again dominated by the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena standing on a pillar. Athena is dressed in armor with a gilded helmet, her left hand carries a spear, her right carries Nike.
On the sides are bronze horse tamers
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0706l.jpg

Remember all this is 100 years old, and even older. It looks like new, just like it did on the day it was all built

There are statues on the roof, which are statues pulled by Goddess Nike. And no I do not mean the goddess of sports shoes. She is the goddess of victory
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0707l.jpg

Cupid at the base
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0709l.jpg

towards the rear
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0710l.jpg

More sculptures
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0711l.jpg

Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0712l.jpg

Can you spot the tram in this picture?
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0713l.jpg

Inscription on the walls
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0714l.jpg

The Painted roof
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0715l.jpg

A close up
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0716l.jpg
Doors are locked, and this is what we see inside
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc0718l.jpg

And this ends our tour of the Parliament.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st September 2011 at 18:55.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 00:50   #115
BHPian

Wow, Tanveer. Awesome writeup. One of the best travelogue introductions. Looking eagerly forward to the rest of it.
Talking of sculptures, you should see the Vigeland Park in Oslo to see where the Europeans went overboard
I have travelled extensively in Europe on public transport (no driving) during the mid 90s, but most of my pics are on film, and remain unscanned.
5 stars to your effort. You have captured some truly beautiful photos.
mr.sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Awesome is a weak word to describe the place. Europe is so rich in history and art, it is a beautiful mix. You have captured the beauty very well. What camera and filters did you use?
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:10   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Tanveer, this travelogue has surpassed all your other travelogues and a mild word to describe it is "mind-blowing"

The way you introduced the TL was superb and unique. The pictures as usual are the USP to your travelogues.

Havent read through the text completely yet as i am still mesmerized by the pictures. So which 5 countries you visited ( Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, ?, ? )

Rated a well-deserved 5 * to this thread.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:29   #118
BHPian

This is a great travelogue Tanveer, one of the best I have read, and if this was a book, I would simply describe it as "unputdownable".

I always enjoy reading travelogues more than any other literature; in fact I am hungry for this kind of stuff, so please keep them coming fast.

Looks like even for summer the weather gods were happy on you (at least in Vienna) and that shows in the photos, which by the way are really excellent.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to visit mainland Europe despite having a strong desire (though I've lived in London for a few months), and your travelogue has inspired me to plan a trip again - perhaps in a year or two, also I didn’t earlier have Vienna in the list of "must visit" places but after reading this I’m adding it right away!

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th September 2011 at 12:51. Reason: removed some unwarranted font tags
Old 25th September 2011, 17:48   #119
Team-BHP Support

I haven't updated this thread in a while. Sorry about that. Regular updates will resume shortly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Wow, Tanveer. Awesome writeup. One of the best travelogue introductions. Looking eagerly forward to the rest of it.
Talking of sculptures, you should see the Vigeland Park in Oslo to see where the Europeans went overboard
I have travelled extensively in Europe on public transport (no driving) during the mid 90s, but most of my pics are on film, and remain unscanned.
5 stars to your effort. You have captured some truly beautiful photos.
thanks mr. Sinha. Scandanavia is definitely on the cards. Maybe after a few years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Awesome is a weak word to describe the place. Europe is so rich in history and art, it is a beautiful mix. You have captured the beauty very well. What camera and filters did you use?
I used a D7000 with 16-85 lens. Have used a polarizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Tanveer, this travelogue has surpassed all your other travelogues and a mild word to describe it is "mind-blowing"

The way you introduced the TL was superb and unique. The pictures as usual are the USP to your travelogues.

Havent read through the text completely yet as i am still mesmerized by the pictures. So which 5 countries you visited ( Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, ?, ? )

Rated a well-deserved 5 * to this thread.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
This is a great travelogue Tanveer, one of the best I have read, and if this was a book, I would simply describe it as "unputdownable".

I always enjoy reading travelogues more than any other literature; in fact I am hungry for this kind of stuff, so please keep them coming fast.

Looks like even for summer the weather gods were happy on you (at least in Vienna) and that shows in the photos, which by the way are really excellent.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to visit mainland Europe despite having a strong desire (though I've lived in London for a few months), and your travelogue has inspired me to plan a trip again - perhaps in a year or two, also I didn’t earlier have Vienna in the list of "must visit" places but after reading this I’m adding it right away!

[FONT=&quot]Cheers![/FONT]
Well, as we go forward, you will know how the weather gods behaved. I guess they got annoyed with me clicking there brothers and sisters left right and center .
Will post more updates soon.
Old 25th September 2011, 21:22   #120
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,

Missed this somehow........ great thread. Loved the awesome photos and narration, especially the logics and arguments for choices. This is a ready recknor to the, saves me days of research, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

A do it yourself trip makes much more sense to me too; you can cover more places and stretch the rupee a great lot. When we did the UK trip, we did it with a drive trip and B&B options; finished in almost 50% of what most agencies quoted. Choosing places with wi-fi and breakfast is a great way to save costs and stocking up from departmental stores is another way too.

The statues are so well maintained, a great way to attract tourists. The entrances could be killers, they make so much money from puny little castles, cathedrals and historic places, we also skipped most of them. Even the best of them in India are free of entrance fees

Awaiting more...... there's a lot more to Europe than what we had seen and I plan to do a drive holiday there in future. Saving your data for future use.

--Ramky
======

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks