Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 18:18   #31
BANNED

Re: Karnal Desires! The Foodhunt on NH1

Guys on this route take a detour into Karnal City and savour Cream Chicken at Shefali Restaurant and Flavoured Milk/Lassi/Ice Cream at NDRI outlet
kapursaket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 18:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

The best part about Murthal Dhaba's is that tandoori paranthas are served, hence the oil that is used to fry them can be saved. And then you dont feel guilty eating them with the white butter.

And IMO butter chicken can only be had with tandoori roti and not with stuffed parantha. Again its only how I think, so don't crucify me

regards
Old 11th November 2011, 18:59   #33
BHPian

Famous Puran Singh's dhaba is only opened till 4 pm so better be there before 4 to have the famous chicken curry .
@v&v zhilmil is opened 24*7 which serves non veg all day and night , its food is yummy , but paranthas of mayur dhabha are more yummier then zhilmil . I have been going to punjab since several years , and i always stop at these dhabas . . Six months back i had dinner at sukhdev , it was pathetic . It lacked the taste and yumminess of mayur and zhilmil . Mostly taxi wala stop over here , as he give commission and some other stuff which i cannot mention here on forum .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
If you are heading northwards i.e. towards Chandigarh:

"Famous Puran Singh's dhaba" is just outside of the Ambala Bus stop / diagonally opposite to Amabala Cantt railway station.

Recommedation: Park you car at railway station parking & cross the road on foot.

Raab Rakha.
Old 12th November 2011, 21:35   #34
BHPian

Puran Singh’s Dhaba is under the Ambala Cantt flyover on the way to Delhi. There are 6-7 places each claiming to be the original one.
It is easier to locate on the way back.

Finally, getting to post this after 3 days of trying. It seems IE9 does not work. Did not think of checking the FAQ.
Old 12th November 2011, 21:55   #35
BHPian

+1 to that. While hygiene is a question, chicken dishes at Puran's and adjoining dhabas are worth trying.

Zhilmil is much better than Sukhdev's but somehow Sukhdev seems to be the busiest. A friend recommended Kheer at Sukhdev which was a total disaster. The food at Sukhdev does not have that authentic Punjabi touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Famous Puran Singh's dhaba is only opened till 4 pm so better be there before 4 to have the famous chicken curry .
@v&v zhilmil is opened 24*7 which serves non veg all day and night , its food is yummy , but paranthas of mayur dhabha are more yummier then zhilmil . I have been going to punjab since several years , and i always stop at these dhabas . . Six months back i had dinner at sukhdev , it was pathetic . It lacked the taste and yumminess of mayur and zhilmil . Mostly taxi wala stop over here , as he give commission and some other stuff which i cannot mention here on forum .
Old 12th November 2011, 22:17   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
And IMO butter chicken can only be had with tandoori roti and not with stuffed parantha. Again its only how I think, so don't crucify me
What do you do when gluttons want to have everything all at the same time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
@v&v zhilmil is opened 24*7 which serves non veg all day and night , its food is yummy , but paranthas of mayur dhabha are more yummier then zhilmil .
That's interesting - so effectively they only serve lunch!

Can't compare Mayur with Zhilmil, but Mayur's stuffed paranthas were most certainly VERY yummy!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 16:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapursaket View Post
Guys on this route take a detour into Karnal City and savour Cream Chicken at Shefali Restaurant and Flavoured Milk/Lassi/Ice Cream at NDRI outlet
+1. Karnal is my native place and trust me Shefali chicken corner is in another league compared to Mayurs and Zhilmils. In case you are coming from Delhi, all you need to do is to turn left from Nirmal Kutiya Sec-13 bypass and go straight for about 1.5 kms.

My pick at Shefali Chicken corner is "KEEMA NAAN".

Last edited by headbanger : 14th November 2011 at 16:31.
Old 14th November 2011, 16:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice log Sir
I have enjoyed food at most of these outlets quite a few times
In case you plan to raid Puran Singh dhaba,keep me updated,ambala being my
Home town I will guide you to the authentic one and probably join you for the lunch
And other than chicken curry it's famous for Keema Kaleji

Last edited by akshay4587 : 14th November 2011 at 16:54.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 17:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jods View Post
Zhilmil is much better than Sukhdev's but somehow Sukhdev seems to be the busiest. A friend recommended Kheer at Sukhdev which was a total disaster. The food at Sukhdev does not have that authentic Punjabi touch.
Somehow I also have not tried at Zhilmil. Generally we stop at Sukhdev, next time would surly try at Zhilmil. However, I love the Tandoori Aloo-Pyaaz paratha at Sukhdev which they serve with lots of white butter.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:55   #40
BHPian

I lived in Ambala Cantt. for a few years, but could never figure out the actual Puran Singh ka Dhaba, there were 4-5 such outlets. Oddly, all of them claimed to be the original one. Don't know the situation now, but it was not a very hygenic place to eat.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:31   #41
BHPian

It is true that food at sukhdev's is atrocious and the service pathetic but at one
time they used to serve amazing tandoori paranthas not any more.
The original Puran singh da dhaba is not visible from the road but at the back of these
so called asli puran singh da dhaba.BTW none of these dhabas are owned by any of puran singh's family members including the real one.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
I lived in Ambala Cantt. for a few years, but could never figure out the actual Puran Singh ka Dhaba, there were 4-5 such outlets. Oddly, all of them claimed to be the original one. Don't know the situation now, but it was not a very hygenic place to eat.
The Situation is still the same,the number has now increased to 10-15.
And i agree about the hygience part.
Old 14th November 2011, 23:04   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapursaket View Post
...Shefali Restaurant...
Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
...Shefali chicken corner is in another league...

My pick at Shefali Chicken corner is "KEEMA NAAN".
Mmmm... now could either of you gentlemen please post a route map from the highway to this interesting place, both while travelling to and from Delhi? Would be a great help to carnivorous people like us who feel lost in the over-profusion of Vaishno Dhabas on this stretch!
Old 15th November 2011, 00:07   #44
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, over the years, the quality of almost all restaurants has gone down, and prices have gone up.
Have been doing this route for past 7 years, and just like the condition of the road, the condition of the Dhabas is also deteriorating.
Old 15th November 2011, 14:04   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Mmmm... now could either of you gentlemen please post a route map from the highway to this interesting place, both while travelling to and from Delhi? Would be a great help to carnivorous people like us who feel lost in the over-profusion of Vaishno Dhabas on this stretch!
While coming from Delhi please remember following land marks in Karnal.

1)Namaste Chowk
2)Tau Devi Lal Statue Chowk
3)Nirmal Kutiya Chowk.

The first Land Mark Namaste Chowk is the first one while coming from Delhi and the road gradualy curves right on the so call Karnal Bye Pass.

The Second crossing is Tau Devi Lal Statue and you need to continue straight till you see a temple on your right. Immediately after this is the crossing popularly called Nirmal Kutiya and you need to take a left turn form this bye pass into the city and continue about 1Km and the final land mark is a city Drain and as soon as you cross this you can't miss Shefali on your right.

Hope I am able to guide you to the foodies paradise.
kapursaket is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks