Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 19:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Nagpur NH7 (or now NH44) in one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH_Vee View Post
Sorry I missed your question. There were two-wheelers on the Nehru ORR although I don't know if they will be allowed once the road is completed. Did not see any separate speed limit for other vehicles. I would like to see a minimum speed limit as well because going at 100 - 120 kph, you would not want someone at 30 kph blocking your lane.
It is too dangerous to allow two wheeler in a 120 km/hr track unless there are separate lines for different speeds and people do not zig zag.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You are right. I was averaging 100kmph at least for the first 4 hours.

As you can see, at the end of the trip I averaged 81kmph from Door to Door.
Luckily Kolhapur-Pune had traffic but less crowd at the toll booths.
Thats pretty fast in a Wagon R, wasnt the cross winds effecting the car, given its tall boy design? I was having major issues with my zen due to cross winds on these 4 laned highways.
Old 14th November 2011, 20:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thats pretty fast in a Wagon R, wasnt the cross winds effecting the car, given its tall boy design? I was having major issues with my zen due to cross winds on these 4 laned highways.
I have been using mine since 2006 and today its clocked 154,000 Kms. In fact, it clocked 150,000 while I was doing Surat-Gandhinagar on the second day of my 15 day trip.

Having said that, the only person behind its wheels has been me and no one else and I firmly say that I know her better and better after every drive. ANHC is only since the past 18 months and my parents have given a thumbs down when it comes to long drives only due to its low seating (when compared to the tallboy).

I have been very regular on the Bangalore-Pune circuit and had earlier done Bangalore-Rajkot in the ANHC. This time since my parents were accompanying me and the fact that the ingress and egress was a major issue with the ANHC for MY parents (specially getting out after long breaks), I preferred the WagonR with a considerably higher sitting position.

Crosswinds didn't affect the handling bit due to the fact that my car was totally loaded to brim. Secondly, I always drive rolled up with AC that probably helped too. The moment I used to roll down, the wind noise coupled with road noise gave a feeling that I am driving too fast even if I was doing 80kmph.

Of course, being a tall boy, it was always careful and cautious on curves but did maintain good straight line speeds.

My speeds were usually between 120-130kmph on clean, straight stretches and 100-110kmph otherwise.

Its just that I have known (as everyone else has) certain limitations of the car over these years and have adapted my driving style to suit them.

Overall, I drove 4925 Kms over 15 days covering Surat, Vadodara, Gandhinagar, Rajkot, Porbandar, Dwarka, Mithapur, Jamnagar, Gandhidham, Mandvi and back to Rajkot again (My base station) till I drove back to Bangalore. No Hiccups, no flat tires. I was amazed at the reliability even at such higher ODO number.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th November 2011 at 20:12.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

XH Vee,

That is a real good drive!! Good roads definitely shorten the notion of "distance" and Central India comes closer to Bangalore. NH 4 has alreday done that to Pune/Bombay.

In March this year, we had gone on a roadtrip to Chhattisgarh. Our initial plan was to stay in Vijayawada for the night. NH5 is so good, we reached Vijayawada around 2.30 PM and decicded to stretch to Vishakhapatnam!! We comfortably reached Vizag by 9.30 PM. Total distance of 1100 KMs!! (captured in my TL http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...arh-kanha.html)
Old 14th November 2011, 22:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Is any construction work going on in the incomplete stretches in Maharashtra, or is work totally abandoned?

Are there proper signages where you turn off NH9 after MIyapur Cross towards Medchal? What sign bard should a new comer look out for, and any landmarks at this point? Similarly, what landmarks for the turn off towards Miyapur at Medchal?
Old 15th November 2011, 08:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using mine since 2006 and today its clocked 154,000 Kms. In fact, it clocked 150,000 while I was doing Surat-Gandhinagar on the second day of my 15 day trip.

Having said that, the only person behind its wheels has been me and no one else and I firmly say that I know her better and better after every drive. ANHC is only since the past 18 months and my parents have given a thumbs down when it comes to long drives only due to its low seating (when compared to the tallboy).

I have been very regular on the Bangalore-Pune circuit and had earlier done Bangalore-Rajkot in the ANHC. This time since my parents were accompanying me and the fact that the ingress and egress was a major issue with the ANHC for MY parents (specially getting out after long breaks), I preferred the WagonR with a considerably higher sitting position.

Crosswinds didn't affect the handling bit due to the fact that my car was totally loaded to brim. Secondly, I always drive rolled up with AC that probably helped too. The moment I used to roll down, the wind noise coupled with road noise gave a feeling that I am driving too fast even if I was doing 80kmph.

Of course, being a tall boy, it was always careful and cautious on curves but did maintain good straight line speeds.

My speeds were usually between 120-130kmph on clean, straight stretches and 100-110kmph otherwise.

Its just that I have known (as everyone else has) certain limitations of the car over these years and have adapted my driving style to suit them.

Overall, I drove 4925 Kms over 15 days covering Surat, Vadodara, Gandhinagar, Rajkot, Porbandar, Dwarka, Mithapur, Jamnagar, Gandhidham, Mandvi and back to Rajkot again (My base station) till I drove back to Bangalore. No Hiccups, no flat tires. I was amazed at the reliability even at such higher ODO number.
You usually learn your vehicle over time and know how to get best out of it. If your car is more prone to cross winds, you develop semi-consciously the ability to correct. I drove a Saturn Vue (similarly to Chevy Captiva) in Michigan with winds going 60 mph+ across the road. Took about 15-20 minutes to adapt and then never noticed it later.

Although I won't recommend speeds over 100-120 kph on any Indian roads as of today due to the element of surprise say a seemingly harmless buffalo might pose. And yes, as one of the tire TV commercial says, roads are full of idiots. So drive safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Is any construction work going on in the incomplete stretches in Maharashtra, or is work totally abandoned?

Are there proper signages where you turn off NH9 after MIyapur Cross towards Medchal? What sign bard should a new comer look out for, and any landmarks at this point? Similarly, what landmarks for the turn off towards Miyapur at Medchal?
Regarding construction roads in Maharashtra, I haven't seen any progress since past 4 years on the stretch between Wadner and Wadki. The road between Bori and Wadner (through Pandharkawda) has been 4-laned 2 years back. The railway flyover at Hinganghat is also stuck halfway since past 3 years. Jam - Nagpur stretch is great but again one bridge before Butibori is also stuck halfway.

There are signs for Miyapur exit but you have to keep your eyes open for it as its still work-in-progress. But even if you overshoot (like I did once) you emerge on NH9, take a U-turn and go to Miyapur. It is about 10-12 km detour, so not too bad.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th November 2011 at 22:04. Reason: back to back posts
Old 15th November 2011, 09:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

+1 to the above and 3 cheers to the drives you have undertaken in the wagonR. Yes rolling up the windows certainly reduces the wind effect and plus fatigue to the ears due to constant sound. When i had the zen i tried not to use the a/c much as it used to suck away most of the power (Secret to Nitro in Zen, just switch off the a/c after reaching 80kph ) so used to feel the winds, but now with the 1200kgs Manza theres no effect at all.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To people who don't realize that I (or anyone) can actually enjoy it, I give the reason as 'no reservations available'. But the truth is I go home for Diwali mostly because I get to drive.
Very well said - I know exactly what you mean

This is just the information I was looking for as I intend to do this drive in December. I did this last year as well - sad to see that not much has improved as far as the 'pain points' go!

Anyways, coming to some queries. I know there are 3 BP Ghar Dhabas b/w Devanahalli and Shamshabad. You mentioned about an eating joint at Medchal - can you please provide details? Also, what options would I have b/w Medchal and Nagpur?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by cool_dube : 15th November 2011 at 11:28.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Very well said - I know exactly what you mean

This is just the information I was looking for as I intend to do this drive in December. I did this last year as well - sad to see that not much has improved as far as the 'pain points' go!

Anyways, coming to some queries. I know there are 3 BP Ghar Dhabas on b/w Devanahalli and Shamshabad. You mentioned about an eating joint at Medchal - can you please provide details? Also, what options would I have b/w Medchal and Nagpur?

Thanks in advance...
I had lunch at Medchal at a hotel I forgot the name of. It is about 10-12 km north of Medchal on the left side if you are driving north. It served decent food. On my way back to Bangalore, I ate in Hyderabad at a place called Hadippa on Miyapur Gachibowli rd. Again decent food - tandoori rotis were of wheat

Between Medchal and Nagpur there is hardly anything as the highway bypasses all the towns in AP and there just aren't any towns in Maharashtra. I noticed 2 ghar dhabas which were open but not sure of the quality. The one where I stopped for tea / coffee just out of Adilabad seemed just OK. Nothing after Adilabad other than rustic dhabas till Jaamb - and by then you are practically in Nagpur anyway!
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:14   #25
BANNED

Its been 2 years now i am travelling from Bangalore to my home town Bhilai by train during Diwali(parents moved back to home town), your travelogue gave me a courage to do Bangalore to Bhilai.
Still I feel it would be better if this can be done with 2 people knowing driving.
Let me see if can give a try during next year Diwali, i need to cover 250-275 more kms from Nagpur.
Thanks for the details, really helpful.
BTW you have lovely bike .

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 23rd November 2011 at 16:18.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:51   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Was nursing an idea of doing Bangalore - Nagpur in one day by starting early when I was doing a rough itinerary for Ladakh trip. However guess it will be bit strenuous due to 16 hr drive on the very first day itself. Nevertheless thanks a lot for sharing the experience. Remember around 6 years back it used to take 13 hours in bus to cover Bangalore - HYD.

Also, your map with new naming for NH was very helpful.
Old 25th November 2011, 22:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Its been 2 years now i am travelling from Bangalore to my home town Bhilai by train during Diwali(parents moved back to home town), your travelogue gave me a courage to do Bangalore to Bhilai.
Still I feel it would be better if this can be done with 2 people knowing driving.
Let me see if can give a try during next year Diwali, i need to cover 250-275 more kms from Nagpur.
Thanks for the details, really helpful.
BTW you have lovely bike .
Train connectivity from Bangalore to anywhere is relatively poor. This is forcing more and more people to explore different alternatives.

And yes, having someone else who can drive is always desirable even if they don't need to. In my case, both my wife and my Dad can drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Was nursing an idea of doing Bangalore - Nagpur in one day by starting early when I was doing a rough itinerary for Ladakh trip. However guess it will be bit strenuous due to 16 hr drive on the very first day itself. Nevertheless thanks a lot for sharing the experience. Remember around 6 years back it used to take 13 hours in bus to cover Bangalore - HYD.

Also, your map with new naming for NH was very helpful.
I too have a dream of driving to Leh someday. But I think I will first do a recon visit by public transport. I think you can easily aim to make it to Hyderabad on the first day of your trip. Depending on when you reach and how you feel you can continue or stop. Post Hyderabad, you have decent lodging every 150 km or so although I would recommend not to drive at night relying on them.

There are couple of really good sites being maintained by govt. on highways which would be useful to most of us.
NHAI::Welcome to NHAI
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India

I had stumbled across an application which would give the latest on road condition, tolls, eateries, fuel stations and other amenities for Indian Highways. Will search and update sometime soon.
Old 26th November 2011, 23:01   #28

On 6th Feb 2011 Ashish and myself started from Nagpur at 5.30 am reached Hyderabad at 11.30am. Had a wait half an hour at the railway crossing in Hinghanghat. Left Hyderabad at !.30pm after a leisurely lunch to reach our friend's place on Artillery road in Bangalore at 8.30pm.
Total driving time 13hrs - 15 hrs if the two hr. stopover in Hyd. is included.The Geometry and surface of the new highways makes driving safe & a pleasure.
Max speed was 120kmph. Our car was a FIAT LINEA DIESEL.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKER BSA View Post
On 6th Feb 2011 Ashish and myself started from Nagpur at 5.30 am reached Hyderabad at 11.30am. Had a wait half an hour at the railway crossing in Hinghanghat. Left Hyderabad at !.30pm after a leisurely lunch to reach our friend's place on Artillery road in Bangalore at 8.30pm.
Total driving time 13hrs - 15 hrs if the two hr. stopover in Hyd. is included.The Geometry and surface of the new highways makes driving safe & a pleasure.
Max speed was 120kmph. Our car was a FIAT LINEA DIESEL.
Great - I too like the Nagpur - Bangalore drive more than the other way round even though the road is same. I like to tackle the bad patches out of Nagpur in the morning and I don't have to enter Bangalore to get to my home in Whitefield.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Great - I too like the Nagpur - Bangalore drive more than the other way round even though the road is same. I like to tackle the bad patches out of Nagpur in the morning and I don't have to enter Bangalore to get to my home in Whitefield.

Thanks XH_Vee for the details for Blr -Ngp road condition. I am also planning to go to Ngp in couple of month by Car and this travelogues will be very helpful. As you said the stretch between wadki and wadner is really bad, so how bad actually it is ? is it full of potholes and do you have any photos for that stretch ?

Regards,

HarryB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks