Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 08:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My first Goa trip

thats nice circuit and good that you enjoyed the trip.

Ravi.
Old 29th November 2011, 19:15   #17
BHPian

Nice pics of the Unchalli falls gypsyFreak. Would have been such a treat to sit next to the lush green fields, under a banyan tree while on a vacation.
Could you please tell me where exactly is Cabo de Ram located in Goa. Had wanted to visit this place last time around but couldn't as i was unaware of the location and it was mentioned that this place was near Fort Aguada after the Kingfisher Villa in some book!!
Old 29th November 2011, 22:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Could you please tell me where exactly is Cabo de Ram located in Goa. Had wanted to visit this place last time around but couldn't as i was unaware of the location and it was mentioned that this place was near Fort Aguada after the Kingfisher Villa in some book!!
Cabo de Rama fort can be viewed on Google Maps. If you are travelling along the Panvel-Kochi Nh17 (north to south) route, your route would be as follows: Margao-Chinchinim-Assolna-Velim-Betul-Cananguinim-Cabo-de-Rama fort.

If you are travelling along the Kochi-Panvel Nh17 (south to north) route, your route would be as follows: Canacona-Agonda-Khola-Cabo-de-Rama fort.

@gypsyFreak:

By the way, what has happened to the remaining part of your travelogue? Do continue your story...

Last edited by misquitas : 29th November 2011 at 22:14.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 01:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Cabo de Rama fort can be viewed on Google Maps. If you are travelling along the Panvel-Kochi Nh17 (north to south) route, your route would be as follows: Margao-Chinchinim-Assolna-Velim-Betul-Cananguinim-Cabo-de-Rama fort.If you are travelling along the Kochi-Panvel Nh17 (south to north) route, your route would be as follows: Canacona-Agonda-Khola-Cabo-de-Rama fort.

@gypsyFreak:

By the way, what has happened to the remaining part of your travelogue? Do continue your story...
@misquitas - Thanks a lot for the info. Cabo-de-Rama fort is a must-see for me during my next trip.

@gypsyFreak - Continue the story mate
Old 13th December 2011, 13:26   #20
BHPian

Last few days was really busy in buying a plot and shifting jobs. So could not finish my travelogue. Will complete it in 1-2 days.
Old 13th December 2011, 20:44   #21
BHPian

Day 5: Panjim – Fort Aguada – Churches - Uttroda – Panjim

Day 5 started good, I was feeling good, there was no fever and there had been no visits to Paris. So, decided that we would stay in Goa for the day and then head to Hubli the next day.

We got ready and went in search of south Indian hotel. We had seen one earlier on Calangute route (Shree Sagar). Had a simple breakfast and headed to Fort Aguada. We reached the fort quickly parked the car, armed ourselves with weapons of a tourist (camera, handycam, goggles, hats, water bottles) and started the exploration.
This fort has some history. It was built by the Portugese to serve as a watering point for their ships. It has two parts an upper fort and a lower fort. The lower fort is surrounded by a moat. The upper fort has a vantage point now a light house has come up there and a large storage tank to store water.
After finishing our photo session we sat in cool area looking at various other tourists and their antics. It was quite an entertainment.

My first Goa trip-img_0263.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0265.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0269.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0273.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0275.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0276.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0278.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0280.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0281.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0283.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0288.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0297.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0298.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0299.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0300.jpg

From here we went to old Goa to look at the ruins of a church and another Rosary church. The second church was closed for renovation.

We then headed to Uttroda. A place recommended by Melvyn which we had missed y’day.

Uttroda is another good beach same as Benaulim, this time we explored the beach and collected lots of sea shells of different shapes and sizes, some of them with live things inside (me and my wife have made this habit of collecting sea shells from whichever beach we visit and displaying them in our house).

My first Goa trip-img_0305.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0306.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0307.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0309.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0311.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0312.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0314.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0315.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0317.jpg

From Uttroda, thought of taking a short cut back to Panjim. Ignored the GPS lady’s directions and managed successfully to get lost. At last, followed the GPS lady’s words and reached Panjim.

This was supposed to be our last day in Panjim. Wifey wanted to do some shopping, she had been pestering me from day 1, finally I had to budge and took her to Goan handicrafts shop. Nice collection they had.

We decided to visit Anjuna beach tomorrow and head out of Goa and reach Hubli for the night. From there it would be Badami, Aihole, Pattadakal and Hampi for two days and then back to Mysore.
But, got a call from my in-laws saying that a plot had come up for sale and we need to act quickly for that. This coupled with my health made us change our plans to drive directly to Mysore from Hubli.

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 13th December 2011 at 20:45. Reason: formatting
Old 13th December 2011, 20:55   #22
BHPian

Some random shots of Panjim

My first Goa trip-img_0319.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0320.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0325.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0330.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0333.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0334.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0341.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0342.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0345.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0349.jpg

My GPS lady...

My first Goa trip-img_0353.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0356.jpg

Celebrating Diwali...

My first Goa trip-img_0368.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0370.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0371.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0372.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0373.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0380.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0391.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0393.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0394.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0396.jpg
Old 13th December 2011, 22:08   #23
BHPian

Day 6: Panajim – Anjuna – Mapusa – Sanquelim – Belgaum – Dharawad (243 KMs)

We had breakfast in one of the south Indian hotels near Calangute and drove towards Anjuna.

Anjuna is basically a cliff side beach with beautiful vistas. We did not do much of the exploring, bought some T-shirts (bargained for less than half the quoted price) and then started towards Belgaum.

Road to Anjuna...

My first Goa trip-img_0397.jpg

Some good vistas

My first Goa trip-img_0401.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0406.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0412.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0414.jpg

and not so good vistas

My first Goa trip-img_0409.jpg

my ride in the parking lot

My first Goa trip-img_0416.jpg

Asked the GPS lady for a route to Belgaum. She said to go via Mapusa – Sanquelim – Chorla – Kammandi – Belgaum. I should not have listened to her. I guess she did not know that I was driving a Esteem and not a Gypsy.

I decided to tank up in Goa before entering Karnataka. Stopped at a petrol pump after Mapusa and…

Me: full tank

Pump attendant 1: ok sir

Me: ye road Belgaum jata hai

PA 1: ha sir

Me: Belgaum tak road kaise hai, achha hai? Koi alag raasta hai?

PA 1(looking at PA2): < something in local language. Meaning up date on road condition >
PA 2: acchha hai sab, ghat section kuch kilo meter accha nahi hai, par uske baad achha hai. Aap isi raste se jahiye ye 20 KMs kam hai

Me: ok thanks

We make the payment and drive on. We cross Sanquerim and enter a ghat section. The road is good with markings and almost zero traffic.

My first Goa trip-img_0417.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0418.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0420.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0421.jpg

Then as we enter Karnataka the nightmare starts. The smooth roads give way to offroad tracks.

My first Goa trip-img_0422.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0423.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0425.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0426.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0427.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0429.jpg

Now we realize what the pump attendant meant when he said “kuch kilo meter acchha nahi hai”. This is not bad road but no road. Over it there are trucks plying in this route which have made it perfect for offroading. How will my poor esteem cross it. Some how I trudge on, again thoughts come to my mind what if a wheel gets stuck? What should I do? I cannot leave my wife alone and go for help? There are no people here. Can I trust these people for help?
Even the same thoughts had come to my wife which she expressed later.
Decide to move on with utmost care. Scrapped my esteem’s belly few times, banged the rear overhang once, almost got stuck in muddy water once. Applied all offroad rules that I knew of like entering and exiting a pit side ways, doing recce before plunging, keeping the momentum.

Reached Karnataka border check post, a drunk guard stops me and asks…

Guard: where are you coming from?

Me: Panjim

Guard: Where are you going?

Me: Belgaum

Guard: are you carrying any drinks bottles?

Me: No

Guard: we’ll check your car

Me: go ahead and check

Guard (opens back door looks around): saar, please let us know if you any drinks, the DC will be coming, if he catches you I will be suspended

Me (pissed off & in a stern voice): Guru, I don’t drink alcohol and I am not carrying anything.

Guard: ok sir

Me: How long is the road like this?

Guard: another 15 KMs kaccha road after that it is good

Me: What road is this there is no road at all?

Guard: They are building the road from Belgaum saar.

I move ahead, after a few KM’s I see road construction work going on.

My first Goa trip-img_0439.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0440.jpg

Then finally reach the good roads.

My first Goa trip-img_0443.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0444.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0448.jpg

It is 4 pm by the time I reach Belgaum. Had some tea & snacks in one of the hotels, buy some Belgavi Kunda and head towards Dharawad.

After few KMs in the NH 4, there is a huge traffic jam. Unfortunately there has been an accident in which some local was hurt and the road is blocked by the localites. It takes about 2 hrs of blockade to be removed and traffic cleared.

Finally, we reach Dharwad and search for Kamat Yatri Nivas. This being a new hotel is not present on GPS. Get directions from locals and finally reach the hotel after covering half of Dharawad.

I get a call from dad asking when I will be coming back. I tell him tomorrow evening I reach will reach Mysore.

Kamat Yatri Nivas is good hotel with clean rooms, toilets and good restaurant. I got standard room costing Rs 1200/- with complimentary buffet breakfast.

My first Goa trip-img_0452.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0453.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0454.jpg

We had heavy dinner in the restaurant and hit the bed.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:29   #24
BHPian

Day 7: Dharawad – Hubli – Ranibennur – Hiriyur – Chikkanayakanhalli – Nagamangala – Mysore (510 KMs)

We have a heavy breakfast in the restaurant and start our drive back home.

In the meantime, yesterday night during a conversation with my mom my wife learns that Hubli is famous for handlooms (machines used to prepare sarees) and so in the morning.

Wife: Yesterday your mom told that Hubli is famous for handlooms. We’ll see one and then go to Mysore

Me: What..?

Wife: We have cut our vacation, atleast let’s see this and go

Me: hmm OK

Then I start driving towards Hubli and spot a sign board giving directions to a handloom factory. I tell her…

Me: We’ll go there

Wife: This is Dharawad, I want to see one in Hubli

Me: Hubli and Dharawad are the same towns

Wife: No let’s go to Hubli, we can see the town also

Me (sighing): what???

Then we enter Hubli and scour the town for a handloom, finally we are able to locate one in Old Hubli area, but this is Powerloom. The owner says there are no handlooms as everything is machinzed

My first Goa trip-img_0459.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0460.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0461.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0462.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0463.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0464.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0465.jpg

After spending some time we decide to move on, then the owner says there are lot of handlooms in Ranibennur which is on your way to Mysore.
One look at my wife and I already know what she is thinking and I say “Yes”

We start from Hubli by 11:30 am and reach Ranibennur by 12:30 Pm.

Some shots of old Hubli area

My first Goa trip-img_0466.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0467.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0468.jpg

NH on the way to Ranibennur

My first Goa trip-img_0469.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0471.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0473.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0474.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0475.jpg

Again, the hunt begins here. We are able to locate what is called “Weavers Colony” and see some handlooms.

My first Goa trip-img_0478.jpg

Finally, we are on our way back to Mysore. We make good progress on NH 4. We don’t see any good hotels on the NH and enter Chitradurga town in search of a Hotel, not able to locate one we move on.

Windmills near Chitradurga

My first Goa trip-img_0480.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0484.jpg

My first Goa trip-img_0485.jpg

Overcrowded local bus

My first Goa trip-img_0486.jpg

We get off the NH at Hiriyur and take the route to Mysore. Now this is a known road. I start ripping on this route and then there is heavy cloud burst, I slow down and deliberately drive on the standing water on the road to wash out the mud from y’days offroading. But still it sticks on.

Finally I reach my in-laws place in Mysore at 6 pm, after some refreshments reach home by 8 pm.

I get a call from Melvyn asking for the road conditions to Goa and ask him about visiting the hotel in the morning. He politely refuses it knowing that I would be tired. So redirect him to another bhpian Ravi bhat for road conditions.

That’s it… the end of my first Goa trip.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 22:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Asked the GPS lady for a route to Belgaum. She said to go via Mapusa – Sanquelim – Chorla – Kammandi – Belgaum. I should not have listened to her. I guess she did not know that I was driving a Esteem and not a Gypsy.
Both of us seem to have made an error on our return journeys. I ended up going towards Hebbur-Tumkur instead of Sira-Hubli en route to Goa, while you probably took the worst route towards Belgaum. Sheesh! That dread part of the Chorla route is not even meant for gypsies, it is OK only for Army trucks with wheels taller than your Esteem. How I wish I could have prevented you from taking the Chorla route.

The road till the Goa border is much better. By the way, how many kms of mud did you travel till you got good roads proceeding towards Belgaum?

A great travelogue and great photos. By the way, where was that chapel with the laterite stones? Don't seem to have seen it myself.
Old 20th December 2011, 10:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Both of us seem to have made an error on our return journeys. I ended up going towards Hebbur-Tumkur instead of Sira-Hubli en route to Goa, while you probably took the worst route towards Belgaum. Sheesh! That dread part of the Chorla route is not even meant for gypsies, it is OK only for Army trucks with wheels taller than your Esteem. How I wish I could have prevented you from taking the Chorla route.

The road till the Goa border is much better. By the way, how many kms of mud did you travel till you got good roads proceeding towards Belgaum?

A great travelogue and great photos. By the way, where was that chapel with the laterite stones? Don't seem to have seen it myself.
About 30 KMs from Chorla is in the mud, beyond that it is good. May be in another 6 months or a year this road would be good.

The chapel is somewhere after Candolim towards Mapusa.

Pardon my ignorance, i was just curious to know the difference between a chruch and a chapel
Old 20th December 2011, 18:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
About 30 KMs from Chorla is in the mud, beyond that it is good. May be in another 6 months or a year this road would be good.

The chapel is somewhere after Candolim towards Mapusa.

Pardon my ignorance, i was just curious to know the difference between a chruch and a chapel
You may check out the following links for more details on the difference between a chapel and a church.

Catholic Online Forum &bull; View topic - Difference Between a Chapel and a Church

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Chapel

What are the particular, defining differences between a church, chapel, cathedral, abbey, etc.? - Yahoo! Answers

Kindly note that these three links offer a "Catholic" perspective of the difference. As you may be aware, there are different variants of Christianity and hence, other variants of Christianity (Protestantism, etc) may offer a different view on the difference between a chapel and a church.

By the way, I don't seem to recollect much details of your car on the travelogue. Do tell us...

1. The performance of your car during your Mysore-Goa trip.
2. The high points and low points (if any) of your drive in the car.
3. The fuel economy that you obtained during your trip.

Your Esteem certainly deserves extra brownie points for negotiating the 30 kms of painful Chorla ghat dirt track. I would have been howling had my i10 been subjected to such torture.
Old 24th December 2011, 21:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
You may check out the following links for more details on the difference between a chapel and a church.

Catholic Online Forum &bull; View topic - Difference Between a Chapel and a Church

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Chapel

What are the particular, defining differences between a church, chapel, cathedral, abbey, etc.? - Yahoo! Answers

Kindly note that these three links offer a "Catholic" perspective of the difference. As you may be aware, there are different variants of Christianity and hence, other variants of Christianity (Protestantism, etc) may offer a different view on the difference between a chapel and a church.

By the way, I don't seem to recollect much details of your car on the travelogue. Do tell us...

1. The performance of your car during your Mysore-Goa trip.
2. The high points and low points (if any) of your drive in the car.
3. The fuel economy that you obtained during your trip.

Your Esteem certainly deserves extra brownie points for negotiating the 30 kms of painful Chorla ghat dirt track. I would have been howling had my i10 been subjected to such torture.
Thanks for the details on the difference between churches and chapels.

My car was a pleasure to drive throughout. The only pain points being low GC and fuel expenses. Got an average of 14.3 kmpl with 90% AC.

No problems at all anywhere in the trip

The best drive was on NH4 from Hubli to Hiriyur. Long and straight roads, easy cruising in 5th gear at 120.

BTW, my car turned 1,00,000 in this trip
Old 24th December 2011, 22:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, my car turned 1,00,000 in this trip
Great to hear that. 1 lakh kms is indeed a special milestone for a man and his machine. Not often does one, in today's world, log up 1 lakh kms in one car. Mmmmm... as rare and special as a golden wedding anniversary. What say?

Do post an ownership review of your Esteem. Would love to read about your Esteem. We had recently shortlisted a used Esteem for my uncle, until we found out that the particular Esteem in question was an accident vehicle. Hence, we rejected the car.
Old 25th December 2011, 00:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I have never heard of Unchalli falls. The pic of the falls you shared looks very inviting. If you have more pics, could you please post them? Also could you please specify the approximate distance for Unchalli Falls From Siddapur? It would be helpful for me.

I have gone all the way upto Jog falls and Karwar, but I now feel that I missed a beautiful trek to the falls. IMO during this time around, Unchali falls seems more scenic going just by your pic

Thanks for the travelogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
Neat pics. Waiting for more. The Unchalli falls look immaculate.

But, tell me, are these falls only for scenic value or can you get into those waters?

Again, let me compliment you on your snaps taken. Your baby (the Esteem) looks neat.
I had rode to Unchalli falls some time ago, I was advised at Banvasi to take the Sirsi-Unchalli on the Kumta road road , rather then the one from Siddapur. The roads from Sirsi was excellent and good speed can be maintained.

You can get to the waters below, there is no official trail but those made by trekkers. And its quite a steep climb back up and may take quite some time. We did not go near the water ,on our return we met 2 guys who had camped at the base of the falls overnight.

Quote:

In the meantime, yesterday night during a conversation with my mom my wife learns that Hubli is famous for handlooms (machines used to prepare sarees) and so in the morning.

Wife: Yesterday your mom told that Hubli is famous for handlooms. We’ll see one and then go to Mysore

Then we enter Hubli and scour the town for a handloom, finally we are able to locate one in Old Hubli area, but this is Powerloom. The owner says there are no handlooms as everything is machinzed

Having lived in Hubli for so long I never knew about the looms here. Thanks for sharing!

MP

Last edited by motorpsycho : 25th December 2011 at 00:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks