Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 12:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
They can mate! Saw it on discovery (African Lions) when the meat was placed on a tree and coupla Lions climbed and one got it down. Not agile, high reaching, branch walking like a Leopard but they can climb.
Lionesses, young/small lions and also tiger cubs do occasionally climb small trees, but the major difference with leopard is that while leopards can climb down facing the ground, tigers and lions need to slide back down clumsily the way they went up

But let us not veer of this wonderful thread with our coffee/toffee arguments. Let Sach continue with his excellent photos and stories
Old 12th April 2012, 13:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My two cents.

A full grown male Lion, whether Asiatic or African, in a one-to-one combat will get defeated by a male Tiger. Scientific research has proved this and some secret real-life experiment, not made public due to animal cruelty activists has corroborated this.

Tiger versus lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Having said that, both the animals are handsome, graceful and exude immense power and not for nothing are called the King.

Lionesses are known to climb trees to steal Leopard's kill but Lions can't becasue of their weight. Lionesses are lithe, slim and a perfect example of power to weight ratio.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs that the Gujarat Govt. refuses the relocation of the Lion thus enhancing inbreeding and a fear of a epidemic wipe-out.
+1 to this. Both the animals are the pinnacle of a predator and on top of food chain and equally exciting to watch in the wild. I someday want to go and watch African lions and experience the African safari.

Gujarat govt. is being short sighted in its endeavour to retain their USP of the only remaining natural habitat of asiatic lions. I had recently read that some jungle in MP was exactly like the Gir forest and lions could be moved there, but the gujarat govt. refused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post

A major reason for the displacement of Lions was the rampant hunting of theirs as they preyed on cattle and also for sport by the royals. They're almost hunted to extinction before being moved to Gir.

Without it's mane, even a full grown African Lion adult will look small when compared to a Siberian/Bengal Tiger.
Well, hunting has been a major reason even for tigers being moved to extinction. Just imagine - it was considered auspicious in Rewa to hunt down tigers and i think the last maharaja of Rewa hunted some 111 tigers!! By god!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Lionesses, young/small lions and also tiger cubs do occasionally climb small trees, but the major difference with leopard is that while leopards can climb down facing the ground, tigers and lions need to slide back down clumsily the way they went up

But let us not veer of this wonderful thread with our coffee/toffee arguments. Let Sach continue with his excellent photos and stories
Thank you sir. but - this thread was about my last trip to Gujarat and i have finished with my quota of pics. This will come alive again only when i am able to visit Gujarat again and capture some more moments in Gir. So we have all the time to debate
Old 13th April 2012, 15:49   #33
BHPian

We had been to Gir forest last year,and I am attaching a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-dsc03899b.jpg  

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-dsc03914b.jpg  

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-dsc03917b.jpg  

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-dsc03931b.jpg  

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1010307b.jpg  

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1010314b.jpg  

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-dsc03909b.jpg  

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-dsc03911b.jpg  

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1010346b.jpg  

Old 16th April 2012, 12:33   #34
BHPian

Thanks Ramesh - nice collage

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks