Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 13:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 6 riders, 4000 kms - A glimpse of Spiti and Leh from a Biker horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Waiting for you to upload the videos and can you share the details of map on a spread sheet? Guess now there is a trip to NE only pending eh!!!
Got tied with work. Will put up the road map soon and upload it.

You are right, next wishlist is NE.
Old 14th December 2012, 14:12   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on listening to your heart & completing once in a lifetime journey.

Going through the travelogue was a surreal experience for me. Great pictures.

I am glued to these threads almost everyday at home & office.
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 14:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Yeah, tad underpowered but if you have somebody coming in car, then dump all the luggage into it, then Impulse would be super fun to ride.

Impulse are available for rent.
Thank you for the engaging travelogue. Great pictures and descriptions.

Can you please elaborate the performance of the CBR in the treacherous conditions? The factors i am interested in knowing about are

1. Ride quality

How did the suspension behave in testing conditions? Was it soft enough on the back to survive the trip effortlessly or was it that end of each days ride it was touch on the back?

2. Riding position

Riding position still remains a little bit on the sportier side, which means more body weight on the palms. Was this a concern on everyday rides?

3. Ground clearance

Was the GC enough for the worse situations?

4. Engine performance and efficiency

Engine behavior in different sections and altitudes and also the efficiency that the bike was giving you all.

Will be helpful for us future Ladakh ride planners to choose the right machine (apart from the usual bullets) to do it.
doctorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 09:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
I am glued to these threads almost everyday at home & office.
You are 200% right. All the logs in tbhp are like Fevicol , you get glued to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
1. Ride quality

I was using the stock setting and it was absolutely perfect for those terrains. So there was no effect on the backbone at all.

2. Riding position

I am sure you would have ridden CBR and a little adjustment on to your elbow angle, you will be in a perfect riding position.
I also make sure that i do not carry anything as backpack bag on the shoulder as that weight would trickled down to your hands and make you uncomfortable. This is purely personal preference.

3. Ground clearance

Ground Clearance was also no issue, except that if you are in very high speed and go over the uneven surfaces is when the below cowl was touching. Normal speeds no issues at all.

4. Engine performance and efficiency

Personally i felt only couple of times it was struggling on the high altitudes or else it was pure bliss in riding through those altitudes without the engine whining.
And because of the leaner fuel consumption, it did gave a good mileage

Will be helpful for us future Ladakh ride planners to choose the right machine (apart from the usual bullets) to do it.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 14:26   #35
BHPian

Amazing travelogue and superb pics! Kudos

In one of the pics I could spy one of the CBRs fitted with what looked like a custom made luggage rack/carrier/frame that also extended down on either side of the rear wheel(Black coloured, powder coated). Could you,
  1. Give some pointers, including pictures as to how is it mounted on the CBR?
  2. Where did you procure it from and for how much?
  3. The strength and load bearing capacity of the contraption?
  4. Its ability to withstand stresses and jerks on the bad roads, and
  5. Did it it in any way affect the handling and dynamics of the bike?
I understand that's a lot of queries, but I guess it would immensely help riders who plan to do long trips on their CBRs, especially the ones who wish to head north to places like Spiti & Leh.

It was heartening to learn that the bike too behaved well. Glad to see that the CBR is more than living up to its sports tourer moniker. In my personal opinion I'd rather have a hassle free, reliable, powerful and comfortable bike rather than one which leak, spurts, chokes and breaks down multiple times on the route. What Honda may consider as a brand strategy next is to open a A$$ in Leh itself for all the riding enthusiasts who want to ride to the biker's ultimate dream. This will reassure all CBR owners riding up to Leh of quality service and availability of spares even in the back of beyond.

One last query, on the bike -did anyone have the ABS version? How did the ABS behave on gravel and wet roads?

You must try the north east next. The place is full of beauty and warm, friendly people. Here's wishing you and your friends many more joyous and fulfilling rides.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 28th August 2013 at 14:37.
Old 29th August 2013, 17:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Amazing travelogue and superb pics! Kudos
Thanks a lot.
Yes, you get to see 2 cbr's with similar pannier. it was designed by my friend and got it fabricated by another friend.
The design was tried and tested on one bike first and then replicated on the other one.
It took everything when we did this trip without any issues.
It is bolted on to the foot peg region on both sides.

Absolutely, if Honda listens to this and get a after sales service in Leh, that would be fantastic.

Yes, two bikes had ABS. Luckily we did not hit much slush for it to be tested.
And yes, North east is the next target. Hopefully soon.
Old 30th August 2013, 12:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot.
Yes, you get to see 2 cbr's with similar pannier. it was designed by my friend and got it fabricated by another friend.
The design was tried and tested on one bike first and then replicated on the other one.
It took everything when we did this trip without any issues.
It is bolted on to the foot peg region on both sides.
Glad to know that it proved durable and rugged. Could you post some pics when you have the time? This looks like a doable solution for baggage woes on the CBR. Any idea on how much weight will it support?

Quote:
Yes, two bikes had ABS. Luckily we did not hit much slush for it to be tested.
There's a video on youtube that demonstrates ABS's superior performance under wet conditions. Here's the link:-

Quote:
And yes, North east is the next target. Hopefully soon.
North East is a beautiful kaleidoscope of cultures languages and vistas. You'll be surprised to know that though they all may look similar to us, there's a great diversity in between regions, and within regions too there are diverse tribes and cultures! This great diversity of culture, language and landscape is what makes it so interesting. Though the common thread running through all of Northeast is the locals' simple take on life and their happy go lucky attitude. They are hard working, simple people with a warm smile and open hearts. I'm sure you will enjoy driving and exploring that part of the country, and will be richer for the experience ! All the best ! (Of course we'll expect you to post a travelogue here soon )

Cheers !!
Old 30th August 2013, 22:04   #38
BHPian

Hello ,
Great TL and i must convey my appreciation on it.I am still going through it but wanted to post my thanks rite away
I am myself planning a trip till Losar this september , so hopefully should be able to experience all that you guys have gone through
Regards
Sumit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks