Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2012, 17:20   #16
BHPian

Re: A Greener Weekend in an unexplored forest - GAVI, Kerala

I visited Gavi in 2011 and it was a superb experience. On our way back from the forest there was a heavy shower and it felt like a gift from God himself, cool pure water from the skies. We felt like dancing in the shower. We also stopped to drink water from a fresh water stream in the forest and it tasted like water I never tasted before. The mineral water served in our office felt so tasteless and bodyless in comparison.

Gavi is a very thick dense forest, every inch covered with greenery and hundreds (if not thousands) of living organisms contributing to the well preserved ecosystem. The presence of algae and leeches is considered to be a sign of the forest being very healthy.
Old 8th September 2012, 18:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain.vanilla View Post
Gavi has been gaining a lot of attention after its mention in a recent Malayalam movie "Ordinary". I hope the surge in tourism does not turn it into another Ooty. We had visited the Silent Valley Forest in November last year and we had to book a slot at the forest office almost one month in advance. Is it required to do the same for visiting the forest in Gavi? If so, can you provide us the phone number for the forest office/wildlife warden?
Hey, I just checked out the film "Ordinary". It shows a little bit of Gavi near the KFDC places. The bridge, the dam and the waterfall. But I see that many shots have been filmed at Vagamon, especially at the resort "Vagamon Heights". Check this log and you'll be able to recollect the place
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-vagamon.html

This gazebo is used in the movie for an important twist in the story
A Greener Weekend in an unexplored forest - GAVI, Kerala-dsc_6808p.jpg

For the details to Gavi, check the website http://gavi.kfdcecotourism.com/

And for the tariff, from an email received from them last year is attached for your information.
A Greener Weekend in an unexplored forest - GAVI, Kerala-scan0001.jpg

Also if you need a good guide, contact Varghese -9961144794, tell my name - He will take care of your trekking needs quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
I was told that if you have accommodation booked inside GAVI you can bring your own car.
Yes if you are booked at KFDC, you can drive till Gavi KFDC cottages. But beyond it towards Angamoozhy seems to be out of bounds now. We had done that drive all the way. See the routing for that trip.
A Greener Weekend in an unexplored forest - GAVI, Kerala-fullscreen-capture-362011-113755-pm.jpg
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 11:11   #18
BHPian

@trtraj
Beautiful photographs. Captured the essence of those enchanting woods. Thanks for sharing.
Gavi was my must do place for the 2011 vacation (after inspired by laluks travalogue). But it did not happen then and not even for 2012 vacation. Hope to visit the place some time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hey, I just checked out the film "Ordinary". It shows a little bit of Gavi near the KFDC places.
Yes. the movie features Gavi. "I'm a Gavi girl....I'm a Gavi boy... forty years..."
I'm told that there was a upsurge of tourists after the movie was released and hence the Forest Dept allowed only a certain number of tourists per day on first come first serve basis. As a result many others had to return from the check post.
Dhar's is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 12:47   #19
BHPian

Hi,

This is an amazing place and the sheer amount of greenery is awesome. I came to know about this place from one of my colleagues who had been to this place a month ago. The pics posted here are really good. Please share some more, eagerly awaiting the next update.
sami316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 09:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

tilak made for a wonderful read man and lovely pictures dude, good to see you after a real long time.Some pictures have a eerie feeling to it and the green carpet laid out by mother nature is worth a million words.

That said, from my experience Kerala is the only state in the south that has been very particular about cleanliness and maintaining monuments. Karnataka tourism is in the pits when it comes to such things.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 12:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
@trtraj
Beautiful photographs. Captured the essence of those enchanting woods. Thanks for sharing.
Gavi was my must do place for the 2011 vacation (after inspired by laluks travalogue). But it did not happen then and not even for 2012 vacation. Hope to visit the place some time soon.

Yes. the movie features Gavi. "I'm a Gavi girl....I'm a Gavi boy... forty years..."
I'm told that there was a upsurge of tourists after the movie was released and hence the Forest Dept allowed only a certain number of tourists per day on first come first serve basis. As a result many others had to return from the check post.
Thanks Dhar for your comment, Yes, the limit is 100 vehicles per day

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
tilak made for a wonderful read man and lovely pictures dude, good to see you after a real long time.Some pictures have a eerie feeling to it and the green carpet laid out by mother nature is worth a million words.

That said, from my experience Kerala is the only state in the south that has been very particular about cleanliness and maintaining monuments. Karnataka tourism is in the pits when it comes to such things.
Thanks Riju, Yeah its been quite a long as i was held up with my project Beyond doubt, Kerala govt is doing much better that any other south states in terms of hospitality for visitors.
Old 12th September 2012, 14:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

5 star rating! Wonderful pictures and a nice informative thread. The forest looks mesmerizing and surreal as in a dream! Must visit some day and that too in the rainy season. Did you tie plastic bags from your knees to prevent them from getting wet? Or was it for avoiding the leeches?

O.T: While venturing in any forest, be careful of wild elephants, they are the most dangerous animals, even more dangerous than tigers.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 14:42   #23
BHPian

How is the current road condition between Vandipperiyar and Gavi? Is it do-able in a hatchback like swift? I am assuming we can take our own vehicle if we have a booking with KFDC
Old 12th September 2012, 16:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hey, I just checked out the film "Ordinary". It shows a little bit of Gavi near the KFDC places. The bridge, the dam and the waterfall. But I see that many shots have been filmed at Vagamon, especially at the resort "Vagamon Heights". Check this log and you'll be able to recollect the place
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-vagamon.html

This gazebo is used in the movie for an important twist in the story
Attachment 982603

I was under the impression that the whole movie is filmed in Gavi, thanks for the information. There is an overflow of tourists to Gavi after the movies and this has resulted in issues between tourists VS Forest Guards/Local People (reported by Malayala Manorama few months back).
gadadhar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 17:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
5 star rating! Wonderful pictures and a nice informative thread. The forest looks mesmerizing and surreal as in a dream! Must visit some day and that too in the rainy season. Did you tie plastic bags from your knees to prevent them from getting wet? Or was it for avoiding the leeches?

O.T: While venturing in any forest, be careful of wild elephants, they are the most dangerous animals, even more dangerous than tigers.
Thanks much, Yeah the rainy season is the best, The one which we had tied under knee are made up of cloth which covers till the toes, This is to avoid Leeches to get inside. About animals, I am not sure how dangerous a tiger is when it is hungry, however, we do not have any Maneaters anywhere in south (i believe),

I have experience of Three wild elephants chasing our car (Wagon R my friend Chetan's) at Wayanad @ more than 35 kms per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
How is the current road condition between Vandipperiyar and Gavi? Is it do-able in a hatchback like swift? I am assuming we can take our own vehicle if we have a booking with KFDC
The roads which we had traveled are very nice apart from a short stretch between Dindigul to Theni, from Vandiperiyar the roads are good with uneven surface which can be managed very even by a Figo , Yes i was told that you can bring your car if you have accommodation booked in KFDC
trtraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 17:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pictures and thanks for sharing. 5 star rating from me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Did you tie plastic bags from your knees to prevent them from getting wet? Or was it for avoiding the leeches?
I believe those are to protect from the leeches.

But then i can see some folks wearing sandals. Is that not an issue when going to this leech infested area?
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 17:43   #27
BHPian

yeah, it was not an issue because cleaning a sports shoe after trek was much harder than sandals, Leeches are protected only by Socks
Old 12th September 2012, 17:51   #28
BHPian

Few more pictures here

Just before entering the dense forest me and Naga

A Greener Weekend in an unexplored forest - GAVI, Kerala-entering-jungle.jpg

We also saw a bone set of elephant

A Greener Weekend in an unexplored forest - GAVI, Kerala-elephant-bone.jpg

There are few tribes living in this forest

A Greener Weekend in an unexplored forest - GAVI, Kerala-tribals.jpg
trtraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 01:33   #29
BHPian

Awesome snaps trtraj. Especially "the Lord of the Rings" captioned.
Have never heard about the place before. Will make a point to visit this place when time permits. Thanks for sharing.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 05:04   #30

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2012 at 10:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks