Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 16:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)

Lovely pictures, Ashesh. The pictures depict the entire Kumbh mela and its essence.

The UPTDC seem to have done a great job with the accommodations. Had seen a brochure of a similar arrangements by a company call Leisure Holidays who have luxury tents in Rishikesh. However, the ones for Kumbh were quite expensive. IIRC, 15K per person all inclusive for 2 nights including the visits to Ghat, Sangam etc.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 15th February 2013, 16:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hello Ashesh,

Welcome to T-BHP. Absolutely wonderful thread from you. The pictures are really great & you have manged to captures the vivid colors very really well.

Which is the camera & the lens that you used?
Can you also give further details of cost of the trip, the practical problems (if any) you faced there, etc. Did you interacted with sadhus out there? I have heard that most of these sadhu's come to town & cities only for kumbh mela & then go back to places like himalayas.

Looking at your pictures, it seems the authorities have made detailed planning & thorough implementation.

Thanks,
Old 15th February 2013, 16:49   #18
BHPian

Thanks mobike008 for making the thread live

Thanks laluks i am glad that the photos made you happy

Thanks bblost. The UPTDC swiss cottages were 6,000 INR per night (2 persons) on which they later offered 40% discount on non snan days. The package came with 3 time meal.

There were few shops at the entrance of Mela where you could have snacks and meal.

The atmosphere was electric. Although I went early (19-21 Jan) but still the it was a wonderful experience.

Thanks neel385. When I visited there was not much crowd since it was early days and also those were non snan days. Also it came as revelation to me that I am more of a landscape photographer.

Thanks v&v. I have put the photos at BCMT and facebook too. The Sangam tent colony is very near to the Mela area. If you are coming from Varanasi side through Shastri bridge then after getting down from the bridge take the second left turn.

Thanks sa_kiran. The mela was very well organized. Considering the magnitude of this operation, hats off to UP government and Azam khan.

Thanks Ardy. Location wise the sangam tent colony is the best. Pricing could have been a little more reasonable.

Thanks Jignesh.

It's a Canon 550D + 15-85mm lens

The major expenses were transportation and stay. I took a flight from Delhi to Varanasi and from there I went with my cousin in car to Prayag. The total cost for me was around 15K. Once you are in Mela there is not much to spend on.

There are few akhadas (Juna Akhada) where you can go and interact with Naga sadhus. I personally did not interact with them.

Kumbh mela administration has done a wonderful job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Note from Mod : Moved to Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Thanks for showing us the various moods from the Kumbh. I was feeling very unhappy that I could not make it there, and then comes your lovely log. Thanks a ton ashesh .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Rating your thread a very well deserved 5 stars.

Thank you so much for the lovely pictures.
Can you also add in some details like how much was the rent at the tent, the food you enjoyed. The awesome atmosphere of the event.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Loved your pictures. The early morning/evening pictures are really good!!

The Mela is considered a magnet for photographers, however I was surprised that you did not put up more portraits which the mela is famous for. Maybe not your thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Some great snaps there Ashesh. Your post will be help-full for my visit to Kumbh in Feb end.

I think i have seen these pic in BCMT too ?
Direction to Sangam tent colony will be very help full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Nice pics lucky Ashesh. Looking at the pictures of arrangements, I get a feeling that if the govt makes same kind of effort in other areas, UP will be a far better state than it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Lovely pictures, Ashesh. The pictures depict the entire Kumbh mela and its essence.

The UPTDC seem to have done a great job with the accommodations. Had seen a brochure of a similar arrangements by a company call Leisure Holidays who have luxury tents in Rishikesh. However, the ones for Kumbh were quite expensive. IIRC, 15K per person all inclusive for 2 nights including the visits to Ghat, Sangam etc.

Cheers,
Ardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Ashesh,

Welcome to T-BHP. Absolutely wonderful thread from you. The pictures are really great & you have manged to captures the vivid colors very really well.

Which is the camera & the lens that you used?
Can you also give further details of cost of the trip, the practical problems (if any) you faced there, etc. Did you interacted with sadhus out there? I have heard that most of these sadhu's come to town & cities only for kumbh mela & then go back to places like himalayas.

Looking at your pictures, it seems the authorities have made detailed planning & thorough implementation.

Thanks,
Old 15th February 2013, 17:51   #19
BHPian

Amazing pictures and great effort to show us the beauty of Kumbh Mela. Thanks for sharing.... rating the thread 5*
Old 15th February 2013, 18:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ashesh, Thank You for the amazing pictures & coverage on the Mahakumbh.

Few of things -

There is no need to upload the pics of Naga Sadhus, as seeing them in natural state (except their feet or eyes) is considered a sin (I am a Hindu Brahmin, & this is what we have been taught since childhood). The mod was correct in his act (though his reason was different).

This was superbly organised by the State Govt. & for the misery at the railway station, the Central Govt. was solely responsible.

Last, please do not refer to any godman as Thug, unless proved. I do not believe in trial by media, when Govt. agencies have failed to prove any media claimed act for any Godman, & I believe many others will concur with the same.

I hope you are not offended...
Old 17th February 2013, 11:56   #21
BHPian

Thanks Indian Ranger. I am glad to bring a glimpse of the Kumbh Mela to us.

Thanks CARDEEP.

#1 Being taught something from childhood does not make it right or true. If seeing a Naga Sadhu in his natural state is a sin then going to Kumbh mela would be the biggest sin as we would have a fortune to see quite a many of them in their natural state. Anyways I have every intention to abide by the rules of forum and I respect the mods decision.

#2 There is no doubt that Mr. Azam Khan did a wonderful job administering Kumbh Mela. I am quite happy and proud to see that our govt. can be productive if they want to be or rather forced to be.

#3 I could not understand the reference to
Quote:
godman as Thug
if you are talking about the Godman who has kept his hand raising for many many years then I do not think I said anything incriminating. All I said was, we all need something to focus or prove ourselves and this person might have chosen this way.

Please let me know if this was not what you were referencing to. I have my own views of religion but I never want to hurt sentiments of other people. We all have every right to live in our own sweet air bubble.

There is no offense to be taken, its good to share our view points and discuss it. Does not matter if it gets aggressive as long as we do it in civilized way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Amazing pictures and great effort to show us the beauty of Kumbh Mela. Thanks for sharing.... rating the thread 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
@ashesh, Thank You for the amazing pictures & coverage on the Mahakumbh.

Few of things -

There is no need to upload the pics of Naga Sadhus, as seeing them in natural state (except their feet or eyes) is considered a sin (I am a Hindu Brahmin, & this is what we have been taught since childhood). The mod was correct in his act (though his reason was different).

This was superbly organised by the State Govt. & for the misery at the railway station, the Central Govt. was solely responsible.

Last, please do not refer to any godman as Thug, unless proved. I do not believe in trial by media, when Govt. agencies have failed to prove any media claimed act for any Godman, & I believe many others will concur with the same.

I hope you are not offended...
Old 18th February 2013, 00:14   #22
BHPian

That is some absolutely amazing photography sir, I must say that you have covered as much of the the Kumbh as humanly possible, just wanted to know if you belong to the city of Allahabad or have a serious connect? Because you were seem to be very well versed with the diferrent locations and directions. I am asking because, though i dont belong to Allhabad, I have been brought up at Allahabad and I completely love my city and its people!
Old 18th February 2013, 05:05   #23
BHPian

Ashesh,
Wonderful narration and beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing this. Rated the thread well deserved 5 starts.

Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 09:52   #24
BHPian

Thanks 599gto. I am not directly connected to Allahabad but I have many relatives there. We could cover so much because we had our own vehicle and a national media press pass. Also during that time the crowd was not that much so we could freely drive inside the mela.
It is indeed a wonderful city

Thanks live360 for the appreciation and the kind gesture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
That is some absolutely amazing photography sir, I must say that you have covered as much of the the Kumbh as humanly possible, just wanted to know if you belong to the city of Allahabad or have a serious connect? Because you were seem to be very well versed with the diferrent locations and directions. I am asking because, though i dont belong to Allhabad, I have been brought up at Allahabad and I completely love my city and its people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by live360 View Post
Ashesh,
Wonderful narration and beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing this. Rated the thread well deserved 5 starts.

Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 19:53   #25
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Ashesh, absolutely gorgeous snaps! Especially loved the dusk and night shots.

There is a element of mystic around the Kumbh and your pictures bring it out really well. Thanks for sharing.
Old 19th February 2013, 00:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ashesh, thanks for sharing this. Pictures really do tell a 1000 words and yours were excellent! Truly fascinating event.

Rated a well deserved 5-stars.
Old 19th February 2013, 14:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesh View Post
Thanks Indian Ranger. I am glad to bring a glimpse of the Kumbh Mela to us.

Thanks CARDEEP.

#1 Being taught something from childhood does not make it right or true. If seeing a Naga Sadhu in his natural state is a sin then going to Kumbh mela would be the biggest sin as we would have a fortune to see quite a many of them in their natural state. Anyways I have every intention to abide by the rules of forum and I respect the mods decision.

#2 There is no doubt that Mr. Azam Khan did a wonderful job administering Kumbh Mela. I am quite happy and proud to see that our govt. can be productive if they want to be or rather forced to be.

#3 I could not understand the reference to if you are talking about the Godman who has kept his hand raising for many many years then I do not think I said anything incriminating. All I said was, we all need something to focus or prove ourselves and this person might have chosen this way.

Please let me know if this was not what you were referencing to. I have my own views of religion but I never want to hurt sentiments of other people. We all have every right to live in our own sweet air bubble.

There is no offense to be taken, its good to share our view points and discuss it. Does not matter if it gets aggressive as long as we do it in civilized way.
@ashesh Thank You for your reply.

Regarding the Naga Sadhus, many kids & even grown ups make fun of their state & look at their private parts... this is a sin.

Regarding reference to Sadhus as Thugs, in one of the images your caption reads - "Ram naam ke loot machi hai....", I was pointing out to that photo (though I do not follow the saint). IMO, one need not mess with anybody's beliefs till those affect former's life.
Old 19th February 2013, 14:49   #28
BHPian

Wonderful Snaps
The mood of the Mela has been covered immaculately and your captions make them even more special (Pushp ki abhilaasha and others).
Rated fully deserved 5 Stars
Old 19th February 2013, 15:27   #29
BHPian

Thanks SDP. Indeed the experience of Kumbh is one of its kind.

Thanks anekho for the appreciation and rating. I am glad you liked it.

@Cardeep ""Ram naam ki loot..." is a verse by sant Kabir and I am sure he was not mocking. My quote was referring to the poster where a saint is welcoming people and inviting them to learn about life and its mysteries (in short, the knowledge(ram) is being offered for free so steal as much as you can) . Still, I apologize if you feel that anywhere in this thread I meant to disrespect anyone. I assure you I have no intention to do so.

Thanks InControl for the appreciation and rating. Indeed that lone marigold was saying a lot by the way its the title of one of the poems by Sh. Makhanlal Chaturvedi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Ashesh, absolutely gorgeous snaps! Especially loved the dusk and night shots.

There is a element of mystic around the Kumbh and your pictures bring it out really well. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Ashesh, thanks for sharing this. Pictures really do tell a 1000 words and yours were excellent! Truly fascinating event.

Rated a well deserved 5-stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
@ashesh Thank You for your reply.

Regarding the Naga Sadhus, many kids & even grown ups make fun of their state & look at their private parts... this is a sin.

Regarding reference to Sadhus as Thugs, in one of the images your caption reads - "Ram naam ke loot machi hai....", I was pointing out to that photo (though I do not follow the saint). IMO, one need not mess with anybody's beliefs till those affect former's life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Wonderful Snaps
The mood of the Mela has been covered immaculately and your captions make them even more special (Pushp ki abhilaasha and others).
Rated fully deserved 5 Stars
Old 19th February 2013, 15:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesh View Post
Thanks InControl for the appreciation and rating. Indeed that lone marigold was saying a lot by the way its the title of one of the poems by Sh. Makhanlal Chaturvedi.
Yes, I am aware that. Couldnot help but smile at the reference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks