Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2013, 19:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)

Nice pics, especially the ones taken at dawn . . .

I also happened to go there on Mauni Amavasya, the biggest day (the day the stampede at the station took place). Adding a few of my pics here that highlight the crowds.
I just do not want to start another thread on the same topic . . . no intentions of hijacking your thread

For more pics you may check out my fb page
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4172313&type=3

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km011.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km015.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km021.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km027.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km035.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km043.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km061.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km121.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km119.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km125.jpg  

Mahakumbh 2013 - Prayag (Allahabad)-km113.jpg  

bikefreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 00:08   #32
BHPian

This is my first! I had never seen such pictures of Kumbh Mela. It had always been quite a mysterious thing for me.
Old 20th February 2013, 01:47   #33
BHPian

Absolutely loved the 8th and 10th picture in your post. And looks like you were there at one of the busiest days.

If you have more pictures, and more details about your visit; please do start a thread and share your experience with all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post

I also happened to go there on Mauni Amavasya, the biggest day (the day the stampede at the station took place). Adding a few of my pics here that highlight the crowds.
I just do not want to start another thread on the same topic . . . no intentions of hijacking your thread

Cheers
Old 20th February 2013, 04:35   #34
BHPian

amazing ... its just incredible to see the multitude of people congregating at a single place in search of bath/snan that might relieve them from the cycle of birth and death.

Just an aside, is it the photo of Nithyanada in one of the snaps that has been uploaded by bikefreak ( 7th from top ) ??
Old 20th February 2013, 10:07   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Ashesh & Bikefreak for these wonderful pictures. Both of you have uploaded marvelous pictures. Probably this is the only way that I would see the Kumbh...I shudder to even think being present at such a crowded place...no wonder brothers in bollywood movies used to get separated at Kumbhs!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Regards,
Saket
Old 20th February 2013, 10:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience ashesh. The pictures look great.

The arrangements are quite good. I would also advise my friend who is visiting kumbh to stay in the Sangam Tent Colony.

So we got kumbh darshan on our laptop, thanks to you.

Last edited by dZired : 20th February 2013 at 10:49.
Old 22nd February 2013, 01:08   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

That's some lovely pics! I really liked all those pics with yellow lights in it. Look out of the world. Just wanna check - were any of these post-processed?

Rated 5 stars! Thank You!
Old 22nd February 2013, 06:46   #38
BHPian

Thanks a ton asesh & bikefreak. Awesome narration using pics. Seeing the pics really makes me feel to go to the mela next time.
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:11   #39
BHPian

Mod Note: Posts merged. Please don't post back-to-back on any thread, as it is considered spamming on Team BHP

Hey bikefreak, beautiful photos there. As my photos were missing huge crowd so your post complement this thread. A big thanks for that. I hope viewers will relish this thread more now.

BurningHeart indeed its experience of a lifetime.

Saket thanks for the appreciation. Except for shahi snan days the mela is not that crowded so you can try your hands on in future.

dZired thanks for the appreciation. For public, sangam tent colony has the best access to the mela & sangam area.

Denis thanks

swiftnfurious thanks for the appreciation and rating. All of mine were post processed.

marinegopi thanks for the appreciation. I assure you visiting the mela will be an unique experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post

For more pics you may check out my fb page
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4172313&type=3

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
This is my first! I had never seen such pictures of Kumbh Mela. It had always been quite a mysterious thing for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Absolutely loved the 8th and 10th picture in your post. And looks like you were there at one of the busiest days.

If you have more pictures, and more details about your visit; please do start a thread and share your experience with all of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
amazing ... its just incredible to see the multitude of people congregating at a single place in search of bath/snan that might relieve them from the cycle of birth and death.

Just an aside, is it the photo of Nithyanada in one of the snaps that has been uploaded by bikefreak ( 7th from top ) ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thanks Ashesh & Bikefreak for these wonderful pictures. Both of you have uploaded marvelous pictures. Probably this is the only way that I would see the Kumbh...I shudder to even think being present at such a crowded place...no wonder brothers in bollywood movies used to get separated at Kumbhs!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Regards,
Saket
Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience ashesh. The pictures look great.

The arrangements are quite good. I would also advise my friend who is visiting kumbh to stay in the Sangam Tent Colony.

So we got kumbh darshan on our laptop, thanks to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Fantastic Pics.. Great work..!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's some lovely pics! I really liked all those pics with yellow lights in it. Look out of the world. Just wanna check - were any of these post-processed?

Rated 5 stars! Thank You!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinegopi View Post
Thanks a ton asesh & bikefreak. Awesome narration using pics. Seeing the pics really makes me feel to go to the mela next time.
Thanks admin and mods for featuring this travelogue on the homepage

Just thought to mention the poet in case someone gives me undue credit Not many people are in touch of Hindi literature these days. I appreciate your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Yes, I am aware that. Couldnot help but smile at the reference.

Last edited by noopster : 22nd February 2013 at 15:23.
ashesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:42   #40
BHPian

Fantastic photographs, Ashesh. Many people run down the Canon kit lens, but your photo's have shown it's capability in the right hands.

I witnessed the Kumbh Mela way back in 1976 and these pics brought back a lot of memories.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:51   #41
BHPian

Thanks John, can't imagine how the mela would have looked like in 1976

The lens I used was not kit lens, its 15-85mm canon lens. It has an amazing IS and helped me to boost at least 2-3 f stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Fantastic photographs, Ashesh. Many people run down the Canon kit lens, but your photo's have shown it's capability in the right hands.

I witnessed the Kumbh Mela way back in 1976 and these pics brought back a lot of memories.
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:39   #42
BHPian

Believe me it was as crowded then, as now! It was during the Emergency and the authorities were all under tremendous pressure. If I recall rightly, that was the first time the Army had constructed a pontoon bridge across the river.

Are you referring to the EF-S f/3.5-5.6 IS lens? If so, yes it's a great lens no doubt.

Last edited by John : 22nd February 2013 at 16:45.
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:12   #43
BHPian

Lovely pictures Ashesh! Nice to see that it was all well planned and managed and by the UP government. The water level looks quite high. Did they release the water from the upper dams for the kumbh?
Old 23rd February 2013, 18:33   #44
BHPian

Thanks C300 for the appreciation.

The organization and arrangements were fantastic.

You are right, I did hear that they released lot of water, still the river was quite shallow. In fact one other sangam came up due to formation of an island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Lovely pictures Ashesh! Nice to see that it was all well planned and managed and by the UP government. The water level looks quite high. Did they release the water from the upper dams for the kumbh?
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for beautiful pictures, very truly said a picture is worth thousand words.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks