Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 18:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!

On a lively sunday morning ride with some delicious thatte idlys in Nittur,a conversation began planning for a group overnight ride to hills where we
could pitch tents; cook our own food. Santosh (rk_Sans) & our friendly moderator Aditya (n_aditya) started scouting for places where we could do
ride to and spend a night under the stars. Lot of places were discussed but then finally we narrowed down on our favorite destination Kundadri alongside
Agumbe. Emails exchanged, group strength increased from 4 to 7 and we were able to finally chalk out an tour plan. The plan read as follows.

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-385259_10151256161777712_519137030_n.jpg

Thus began our ride; a Ride which will be etched in our memories for quite some time. All preparatory works completed, tents arranged to accommodate all seven of us. Food provisions were made, last minute checks on motorcycles were taken care.Even though I have done many a rides and drives the Friday night was like 'Iss Raath Ki Subah Nahin'. Got up early, finishing my morning chores started for the assembly point on my RD. My companion for next 850 Kms over the weekend. Everybody were bang on time a quick word, followed by safety briefing courtesy Aditya and finally took we were on our way. Breakfast point was decided to be had at Tiptur which is a good 150 kms away. Concentrated hard riding ensured that we as a group were able to reach by 0815. Not bad considering the huge variation of bikes that included a couple of CBR, RD's with a bullet, Avenger & the screamer Ninja.

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-break-fast.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-blazing-rd.jpg

Breakfast included some yummy idlys, vadas and Chitranna (lemon rice). After tucking ourselves with some generous helping, we finally reached shimoa by
1230. Pretty much on target with our initial plan we stopped by at Meenakshi Restaurant hoping for those yummy Masala Dosas they make. But luck would have its way and we were forced to satisfy ourselves with some Rava Idlys & Bisibelebath. After a top up of fuel we then headed to the exit towards Theerthahalli and stopped by at the Upper Tunga Dam. A quick breather to soak in what the nature had for us in store and we were off to Kundandri our destination for the night. Contrary to our initial thoughts we were able to reach the peak of Kundadri by 1600 Hours. The ride up to the peak was fantastic. While a couple of riders went downhill to fetch the necessaries for the evening stay, the rest started to collect dry twigs while myself & rk_Sans started scouting the place to pitch tents. Spoke to the Panditji to seek his blessings to pitch tents. Finally we set to pitch tents by 1830 in the fast sinking sunlight. A simple 5 minute task took a tad longer as one was a borrowed tent and required some additional time.

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-theerthalli-dam.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-theerthalli-dam-2.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-theerthalli-dam-3.jpg Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-sunset.jpg Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-sunset2.jpg

Water and other supplies shored up, then came the task to setup a stove. With the aid of a few slabs found on site, we were able to start our own cooking fire. We were able to locate a few dried coconut shells and with the help of some camphor tablets we were able to boil water. MTR Ready to eat Bisibelebath & Tomato Rice were made within a span of few minutes. Noodles to add some variety thrown with some pickles completed the dinner. Dinner completed it was a nice feeling as we all gathered around the cooking place which had by now become a bon-fire. A perfect evening rounded off with talks of exploits and the journey highlights. As night descended it was time to hit the sacks.

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-tent.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-cooking.jpg

Waking up early with the hope to witness a grand spectacle of the sun rising in all his glory, it was a bit of a disappointment. Clouds covering the horizon was a big dampener. By late 6ish the sun was more visible and it was quite a sight that awaited our view. Fog engulfing the hills and valleys were indeed a sight. Will let the photos do the talking here.

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-sun-rise.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-sunrise-2.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-sun-rise-3.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-sun-rise4.jpg
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-sun-rise-5.jpg

Tents packed, bags packed we hurried to Doddamane for a sumptous breakfast. Our next stop was at Jogagundi around 6 kms from Agumbe Town. Police entries made at the station due to the growing menance of naxals and permissions had to be sought. However we were denied permission for Vanakeobbe falls prompting us to return after spending some time off in Jogagundi pond. We then made our way to Sringeri and took a deviation to enter Kudremukh. The lush green environment was a sight to behold. The ruined factory, ghost town all appears to be like a filmy setting. Stopped at Lakya Dam (de-silting Dam) for a quick rejuvenation and some healthy sugar cane juice we next made our move to Kalasa. Entries made at the forest sentry we were given 60 minutes to clear the Kudremukh forest range. Excellent roads with very good twisties saw us complete the section before we stopped at roadside shop for some precious H2O. Next stop was at Kottigehara for some delicious Neer Dosas.

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dodda-mane.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-joga-gundi.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-kudremukh.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-kudremukh-2.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-kudremukh-3.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-kudremukh-4.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-kudremukh-5.jpgMindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-neer-dosa.jpg

With the fast disappearing sunlight it was evident that we had to reach Hassan Via Belur before it was completely dark. Right on the outskirts of Hassan before entering the town we had another round of regrouping. Ride plans made, lead team formed with me playing the sweeper.

Ride went smooth, stopped in Bellur Cross at Hotel Mayura for a quick bite and fuel top up we managed to reach home sweet home by 11.

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-mayura.jpg

Key learning that we all understood from this ride was not to buy MTR Ready to Eat Tomato rice. Reason being that it takes long time to cook it when compared to Bisibelebath.

Our rider group was indebted to Mr Santosh as he managed the complete journey with the supplies on his bike.

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-rk_sans.jpg

Till we head out for another ride it will be

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-helmets.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-morning-catch-up.jpg  

Last edited by ku69rd : 4th February 2013 at 18:46. Reason: Formatting Correction
ku69rd is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 21:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mindless Rambles, and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!

Thanks for the travelogue Mahesh.
Here is my share of photos

Starting point for the trip
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0075.jpg

Breakfast Point, just after Tiptur
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0078.jpg

Breakfast Point
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0081.jpg

Resting point, After Birur
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0082.jpg

Classic Picture
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0097.jpg

Cannot stop taking pics of this
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0103.jpg

Group Pic
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0105.jpg

Group Pic (Santosh, Milind, Raghav, Mahesh, Sandeep, Aditya and Renuprasad)
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0111.jpg

View of Gajanur Dam
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0139.jpg

Entrance of Kundadri
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0155.jpg

My fav pic
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0199.jpg

Poser
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0212.jpg

Waiting for the Sunrise
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0223.jpg

View to die for !!
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0225.jpg

Our homes for the night
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0255.jpg

Jain Temple, Kundadri
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0257.jpg

View from Kundadri
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0266.jpg

Jain Temple, Kundadri
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0273.jpg

Mr.RD man aka Mahesh aka KURD69
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0277.jpg

Group Photo
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0287.jpg

Group Photo

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0289.jpg

Bikes parked in front of Kasturi Akka's House, Agumbe
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0293.jpg

Yeah, it looks like foot steps to heaven..but it is on the way to Joga Gundi
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0300.jpg

Kudremukh
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0307.jpg

Contrast colors of Kudremukh
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0308.jpg

The beauties

Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0310.jpg

Excellent roads of Kudremukh
Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!-dsc_0314.jpg
rk_sans is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 10:27   #3
BHPian

Looks like you had a great ride! Nice pictures.

I had been to Kundadri couple of years back, its so picturesque. View from top has to be experienced. Lost our way while finding jogigundi eventually made it. Wish there were better roads in western ghats to explore nature.
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 10:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
Looks like you had a great ride! Nice pictures.
Lost our way while finding jogigundi eventually made it. Wish there were better roads in western ghats to explore nature.
Thanks Buddie, I would leave the roads as is. More roads means lesser of an adventure it becomes and loses the sheen to it.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 11:16   #5
BHPian

A nice quickie trip you people had. My favourite pic of the lot is the one below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...joga-gundi.jpg

and of course this one which gives an impression of a sea-shore
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...i-dsc_0199.jpg
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 15:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mindless Rambles and eventually it is Kundadri. 7 Bikers go Camping!

So finally the thread is up.

This was my first camping trip and being pampered by the luxuries offered by resorts and hotels (including safe parking for my green babe) i was initially apprehensive. But knowing that Mahesh was confident parking his RD in unknown territory (to me at least) i joined in.

Had a great time riding with the gang. The views were breathtaking and a photographer's delight. The country roads that we took instead of the boring highways were so much fun too.

Some stretches were bad at Kudremukh and with the hard suspension (stock setting) of the ninja i could feel every undulation which tired me out quite quickly and hence had to stop and rejuvenate often.

Overall this was a fun filled trip, memories which i will cherish for a long time to come.

Looking forward to the next one.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 15:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Till we head out for another ride it will be
Absolutely loved the picture of the helmets! There's so much it says about a successful ride! Great assortment of motorcycles too! Take a Roadking next time

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 5th February 2013, 16:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Loved the shots of Kundadri. Something which really caught attention is the array of bikes, RD 350s to CBRs . So diverse like we Indians but so united to complete the mission. Congratulations on your bikes and the trip

I was cherishing my biking days, night rides to Nandhi hills and the long rides in Kerala. Sigh!

Last edited by jacs : 5th February 2013 at 16:24.
Old 5th February 2013, 20:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

That seems like a lovely weekend trip. Was it a saturday and sunday trip?

Good to see a varied set of bikes participating on this ride weekend vacation.

And, the pictures are really fab !!!
Old 6th February 2013, 10:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That seems like a lovely weekend trip. Was it a saturday and sunday trip?
Yes, Started on Saturday at 6 am and was back on Sunday around 11pm
Old 7th February 2013, 09:37   #11
BHPian

Really great pictures ! Thanks for reminding me about the camp we set up on Kundadri in 2008, in the rains ! It was raining and the winds were too strong to pitch the tent on the top, so we had to do with pitching the tent where the cars are parked. Nevertheless, felt a wild boar sniff around the tent during the night.

Jogigundi looks so different with no cascades in it, and I guess Barkana falls in Agumbe is also off limits to visitors now.

Tell me more about this "Doddamane". Is that a home-stay or something ? How do we get to speak to them and book our place for stay or dinner ?

Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 12:04   #12
BHPian

Nice write up, while holidaying in a nearby location, I had been to Kundadri in a Jeep owned by a village thakur. Although I enjoyed the experience in the jeep which drove thru a water body to get to kundadri, I was in fact disappointed by the small hillock that kundadri is, Nandi hills which we Bangaloreans are used to is much better & bigger(except the tourists of course)
Old 7th February 2013, 13:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Looks like a great ride! Nice pics to complement the ride too.
Thanks Naveen, was hoping that you would put up your TL in your coast to coast ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
So finally the thread is up.

Looking forward to the next one.
Aditya,
It was indeed a fantastic ride. Yep looking forward for the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Absolutely loved the picture of the helmets! Take a Roadking next time
Rahul,
Thanks for your kind words. Regarding the Roadking am not sure if it can keep pace to cover 850 Kms spread over 2 days. However I have different plans for my Roadking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
great place, nice pics. You guys made me to remember my biking days.
Thanks Alsuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys, Loved the shots of Kundadri. Something which really caught attention is the array of bikes, RD 350s to CBRs . So diverse like we Indians but so united to complete the mission. Congratulations on your bikes and the trip
Thanks Jac, The scenery was really good and to be honest we as a group complemented each other very well. It was indeed a surprise for me considering that 4 of the group were completely new to me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Tell me more about this "Doddamane". Is that a home-stay or something ? How do we get to speak to them and book our place for stay or dinner ?
Doddamane: Its a homestay where you can spend your night there. Prior intimation would be better as they are not commercially oriented. In fact they do not charge you and all that you pay is out of your choice. This place was famous as Malgudi Days was shot at this house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Nice write up, while holidaying in a nearby location, I had been to Kundadri in a Jeep owned by a village thakur.
Thanks Mate, Kundadri is actually much taller than Nandi Hills, yes its very small at the top compared to Nandi Hills. But then its much more pristine and neat when compared to Nandi Hills. The Nandi hills to be honest has lost its sheen what it had during the 80s and early 90s.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th February 2013 at 15:06. Reason: quote tags fixed
Old 7th February 2013, 14:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Rahul,
Thanks for your kind words. Regarding the Roadking am not sure if it can keep pace to cover 850 Kms spread over 2 days. However I have different plans for my Roadking
Oh but I beg to differ! My Layla covered 1300km in 3 days in pounding rain, through nasty roads that would leave the Ninjas and CBRs complaining of backache, not just their owners!
No offence to the guys and bikes, really! I wish I could actually have a CBR to tour on. If only wishes were motorcycles!

I really wanted to make a travelogue of that ride, but rain and mobile cameras aren't the best of friends. Next time. Maybe.

Whats the plan for your Roadking?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 7th February 2013, 16:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

Whats the plan for your Roadking?

Cheers,
Rahul
Rahul,
If you have the loot then go for the CBR. Mightily impressed with its capabilities. My only grouse against the CBR might be its lack of a strong character. It does the job day in and out without any complaint and everything seems to be wired into it at its inception. Never fails you at any instance.

Regarding the Roadking not sure on its plan but will share it once I reach there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks