Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2013, 23:23   #1
BHPian

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple

Well, had been trying for a long long time to get to be a member of this wonderful community, and now that I am in, am trying to start off soon.

Still trying to get to terms with the technology here.

To go out and explore when ever possible, has been the family custom. But had been unable to do so for the past few Sundays / Holidays due to the soaring temperatures. So finally this Sunday (26 May 2013), after getting tired of waiting for temperature to come done for many previous holidays, decided for a short outing with wife and two kiddos in spite of the scorching sun pushing the liquid silvery metal well in to the forbidden forties. A quick bath before leaving to lower the body temp to sustain the outside temperatures for possibly a few more minutes.

Cold Water bottles, wet towels, caps and shades and we were all set, the supremely effective AC of Alto, running full blast initially was soon lowered two stops to prevent the body from getting a pasteurizing thermal shock when we do get out.

The plan was to go out to Khanapur, about 15 odd kms from here, as wife had heard from her confirmed sources that a weekly Sunday market is held there in which the local tribal ladies come to buy cheap tribal type jewelry / accessories.

We reached there and first decided to visit the nearby Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple.

Location. The temple is situated about 15 odd kms from Bidar. For those geographically inclined (dare say, like me), the co ordinates are 17°57'10.47"N, 77°23'9.60"E and an elevation of 630 m AMSL.

Driving Directions.

The screen below shows direction till Khanapur along SH 4 from Bidar.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-picture1.jpg

Now this google earth screen shows the track routes to the temple which I have marked.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-picture2.jpg

The Yellow path shows the track from Khanapur to the temple and the Green track off shots from the track to Jungle Lodges Black Buck Resort.

Well just to things in perspective the temple is close to JLR Black Buck Resort. The crow fly distance as per GE is 1.9 Kms.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-picture3.jpg

Trying to insert an image now.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3092.jpg

In the trial pic above you see my well beaten red Alto, occupying her place in the sun, in the shade rather, among the rest other Boleros, Traxs and stuff. A routine she is used to ever since her inception.

About the Temple Deity.

Coming to the deity itself, Mailar Mallana is considered an avatar of sorts of Lord Shiva. This avatar is more classically know as Mārtanda Bhairava and popularly know as Khandoba among many other names. Version of His names also include surprisingly 'Mallu Khan' and is also revered by few of the Muslims. He is is described as "shining like the gold and sun, covered in turmeric, three-eyed, with a crescent moon on his forehead".

This thus explains the predominance of Yellow and Gold colors in the temple, and the almost constant shower of turmeric powder in the temple courtesy the devotees. Sunday seems to be His favoured day of worship.

The Visit.

On reaching the place we took a drive around to get a feel of the place. And boy it seemed like a Mela, with many a household literally camping out beneath the few shady trees.

We met a semi rural family who were pitched beneath a shady banyan tree, who had come all the way from Mumbai, just to pay reverence to the deity. Their plan was to stay here for the day and then drive back.

On finally finding a semi shady spot to park our car, as all the shady ones were already taken, we got out into the sweltering sun armed with our caps and gogs.

The boys to their delight noticed a small pony, and were all excited to pet it.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3087.jpg
Boys petting the pony.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3090.jpg
The younger one getting rather too friendly with the pony.

Will let the pictures do most of the talking now

Below is the entrance to the Temple from the Eastern side. We came from Khanapur which is to the west and then rounded around the Temple. A more direct but lesser used diversion cuts off from the track to Jungle Lodges Black Buck Resort (as shown in the GE pic above). More about our earlier trips to the JLR later.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3094.jpg
Entrance to the Temple

Below is first view of the temple you get from the main gate of the complex.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3095.jpg
First view of the Temple

Had to climb steep narrow scary stairways to get to the top of main gate to get the view of temple from there.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3098.jpg
View of temple from top of main gate.

Notice the striking turmeric yellow colour of the temple.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3096.jpg

The Lamp Tower, the black stone of the structure contrasting nicely with the yellow sprayed hand thrown turmeric powder.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3107.jpg

Here the shape of dome of the mini structure next to lamp towers resemble to domes of temples in Bengal et Kalibari etc.

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3115.jpg

Lots of newly weds along with their party of close ones were seen visiting the temple.

Also it seems that one of wife of Khandoba was from the herder's and thus the nearby Sunday market also has an animal section dealing in cows, ponies and goats. So few presumably newly acquired livestock too were being herded round the temple.

Even spotted a man doing rounds with a gas stove, probably a freshly acquired prized possession.

Here comes a calf leading a marriage party !

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3109.jpg

And now comes a cow

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3108.jpg

Seems unwilling to carry out the mandated circumventions in the hot summer sun

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3112.jpg

Finally tethered... much to relive of other devotees

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3123.jpg

Also spotted was a man covered in a mysterious black cloak, probably to save his prized new outfit from the constant shower of turmeric powder

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3128.jpg

The younger one found a crevice to creep on

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3110.jpg

A view of the temple corridor, painted with murals depicting the slaying of Malla

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3129.jpg

Old Boys Club

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3133.jpg

Leaving you with just some random images of the temple
Colours

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3116.jpg

Yellows and Blacks

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3118.jpg

Silhouette of Tribal Banjaran against the backdrop of varied hues of yellow temple wall

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3119.jpg

Miss Congeniality, in the market nearby

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf3135.jpg

Chalo guys, see ya for now will be following up with more posts about places close to Bidar.

Last edited by YanTra Makto : 2nd June 2013 at 19:28.
YanTra Makto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanTra Makto View Post
Well, had been trying for a long long time to get to be a member of this wonderful community, and now that I am in, am trying to start off soon.
places close to Bidar.
Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures and the excellent writeup.Looking forward to hearing more from Bidar.IIRC,you must be the second member on the forum from Bidar,there was another person in here Neel385(who iirc has been transferred out from Bidar now)
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
IIRC,you must be the second member on the forum from Bidar,there was another person in here Neel385(who iirc has been transferred out from Bidar now)
Yes you do recall correctly and have a pretty good memory must say

and thank you for the appreciative words!
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
Went through the post regarding uploading of pics, but is there a way one can control the size (I mean the viewing size as it appears in the post) of the pics?
Old 4th June 2013, 03:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Your travelogue reminded me my golden days in Bidar when I was studying Engineering there, still remember my trip to this place along with my parents and also my hands on with a Mahindra Jeep, look forward to more places around Bidar.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 22:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
.. when I was studying Engineering there ..
If you do not mind disclosing, When was that?, and was it GNDEC?
Old 5th June 2013, 11:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

I took transfer of college from Bangalore to Bidar in the 3rd year and studied 3rd and 4th year of my Mechanical Engineering Course at GNDEC between 2001 to 2003. BP Yadav was our HOD then and Chandrakanth Kulkarni my best ever mentor.
Old 5th June 2013, 14:10   #9
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the info.

Also spotted was a man covered in a mysterious black cloak, probably to save his prized new outfit from the constant shower of turmeric powder

Attachment 1091542
Old Boys Club
Attachment 1091545

The man in Pic covered in "mysterious black cloak" and men in "old boys club" are known Goravara or Gorappa in Kannada / Waghya in Marathi and are messengers of Lord Mallari as per beliefs in North Karnataka.
arunu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 18:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
The man in Pic covered in "mysterious black cloak" and men in "old boys club" are known Goravara or Gorappa in Kannada / Waghya in Marathi and are messengers of Lord Mallari as per beliefs in North Karnataka.
Thank you arunu for the informative snippet
Old 5th June 2013, 20:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting little travelogue documented there. Have been to Bidar once during my FMCG days of covering nooks and corners like Khanapur etc. of my territory and boy every one used to say that I have reached the last frontier of the Earth (err Karnataka for sure)

Coming to think of it the rustic colors and sights are very unique to this part of the country and must say very well captured.

Looking forward for more so keep it coming. On this point did you visit JLR? Have plans to cover all the JLR when possible. Have covered 3 till now all near Cauvery banks - Doddamakali, Galibore and Bheemeshwari

Must say some unique resorts amidst nature's best- http://www.junglelodges.com/

Last edited by girishglg : 5th June 2013 at 20:53.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 22:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
.. and boy every one used to say that I have reached the last frontier of the Earth (err Karnataka for sure)
Well, Bidar is situated on the northern edge of Bidar Plateau,

So does this qualify as end of the earth for you

Around Bidar: The Sri Shiva Mailar Mallana (Khandoba) Temple-dscf7437.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks