Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 09:35   #31
BHPian

Re: From Bangalore to Ooty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarique2002i View Post
Note: This is my first ever travelogue, please give me suggestions on how to improve. Thank you.

Ooty Trip ( 2 days 1 night)- 9th and 10th September 2013.

While going - Bangalore - Mysore ( SH-17) - Nanjangud - Gundlupet (SH-212) - Bandipur - Madumalai -Gudalur -Ooty (SH-66/67).
While coming - Ooty-Masinagudi-Madumalai-Bandipur-Mysore-Bangalore.
Thanks tarique2002 , for the crisp and informative travelogue.

Regarding the route A ( Nanjangud - Gundlupet (SH-212) - Bandipur - Madumalai -Gudalur -Ooty) , We were travelling through the same road as well on 12th Sep only difference is I took the Right from Gudallur to Nilambur via Natukani ghats.

If I may ask , I am not sure which fork I took , the road seemed to be in tatters for around 10 KMs ( Inside Mudhumalai) right ?, is it just one KM ?.

Thanks Again bro.
Old 27th September 2013, 23:24   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Thanks tarique2002 , for the crisp and informative travelogue.

Regarding the route A ( Nanjangud - Gundlupet (SH-212) - Bandipur - Madumalai -Gudalur -Ooty) , We were travelling through the same road as well on 12th Sep only difference is I took the Right from Gudallur to Nilambur via Natukani ghats.

If I may ask , I am not sure which fork I took , the road seemed to be in tatters for around 10 KMs ( Inside Mudhumalai) right ?, is it just one KM ?.

Thanks Again bro.
I am not sure about the route you have mentioned through Nilambur-Natukani. I followed the one I saw on Google maps and I made it a point that I would stick to SH 66/67 till I reach Ooty. I encountered really bad patch of road just after I took right turn at the Madumalai (fork) at Theppakadu; for about a km or so.
Old 7th October 2013, 10:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarique2002i View Post
I am not sure about the route you have mentioned through Nilambur-Natukani. I followed the one I saw on Google maps and I made it a point that I would stick to SH 66/67 till I reach Ooty. I encountered really bad patch of road just after I took right turn at the Madumalai (fork) at Theppakadu; for about a km or so.
Thanks Tarique, I would have to venture to Ooty again sometime next week.
I am thinking of Taking Masinagudi Route, I haven't traveled via that route before.
Any idea how to take a turn from Mysore to Head to Masinagudi ?.
( I would be traveling from Bangalore) .
Old 7th October 2013, 10:15   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You dont take the Nilambur road from Gudalur for Ooty.

- If you are going via Masinagudi, (left at Theppakadu on NH67), you wont hit Gudalur and hence see the Nilambur road.
- The other road is NH67 all the way. Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty. Here at Gudalur you dont take on the Nilmabur road all.

Last edited by ampere : 7th October 2013 at 10:19.
Old 7th October 2013, 10:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You dont take the Nilambur road from Gudalur for Ooty.
- If you are going via Masinagudi, (left at Theppakadu on NH67), you wont hit Gudalur and hence see the Nilambur road.
- The other road is NH67 all the way. Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty. Here at Gudalur you dont take on the Nilmabur road all.
Thanks Ampere , I was explaining how I went to Kerala previous time.

Next week I am planning a trip to ooty, I would be travelling from Bangalore.
I was asking how do I reach Ooty Via Masinagudi .. like what would be the route map for
Bangalore --- xxx ---- xxx --- Masinagudi ---xxxx--- Ooty.
Any help is appreciated , Sorry Tarique for Highjacking the thread
Old 7th October 2013, 10:46   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere , I was explaining how I went to Kerala previous time.

Next week I am planning a trip to ooty, I would be travelling from Bangalore.
I was asking how do I reach Ooty Via Masinagudi .. like what would be the route map for
Bangalore --- xxx ---- xxx --- Masinagudi ---xxxx--- Ooty.
Any help is appreciated , Sorry Tarique for Highjacking the thread
Sorry for the mis-understanding.

- For Masinagudi, you dont need to go all the way to Gudalur.
- After Bandipur you hit a place called Theppakadu on the NH67.
- You would see a road on the left over a bridge. It would be a narrow road.
- Take that it would lead to Masinagudi and further to the 36 hairpin bends.

Route Link
Old 7th October 2013, 10:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry for the mis-understanding.

- For Masinagudi, you dont need to go all the way to Gudalur.
- After Bandipur you hit a place called Theppakadu on the NH67.
- You would see a road on the left over a bridge. It would be a narrow road.
- Take that it would lead to Masinagudi and further to the 36 hairpin bends.

Route Link
Thanks A ton Ampere for the input , I would take that route.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:48   #38

I traveled to Ooty from Bangalore via Route 1 and returned back via Route 2.
Thanks to Fellow BHPians!

Route 1 :

Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty (Took me around 6 hrs of travel time) The road is good but you gotta negotiate 37 hair pin bends. There was not much traffic even though it was a holiday (Oct 2nd)

Route 2: Return route

Ooty-Pykara-Gudalur-Mudumalai-Bandipur-Gundlupet-Mysore-Bangalore

This route is the longer one but has lots of potholes and lots of curves.

It took me approximately 9 hrs to reach Bangalore. Thanks to weekend traffic on Mysore road!!!!

If you have an extra day in Ooty, do not forget to visit Emerald Lake and Avalanche Sanctuary. Its out of this world!!!

Regards
Old 8th October 2013, 14:36   #39
BHPian

The Gudalur route, even with potholes, might be more merciful on cars. How did your cars feel after taking the Masinagudi route? I had taken the Masinagudi route both ways in my Palio Stile, & felt that the hairpin bends were very tough on the mechanicals, especially while descending. My car's front wheels have been squeaking & groaning after that trip (wheel alignment/balancing was fine, maybe bushes wore out).

But it all seemed worth it, for the indescribable feeling of descending Masinagudi amidst the clouds!
Old 8th October 2013, 16:03   #40
BHPian

We did the Bangalore-Coonoor trip from September 28 to October 01. While I had planned to take the Gudalur route both ways, we made a last minute decision at the Thepakkadu junction to take the 36 hair pin route. It was a breeze and we hardly encountered any traffic. We did see a few vehicles coming down this route so I guess it is open to downward traffic as well.

The return was via Gudalur, since we went to Pykara lake. I agree with i20maverick, the entire route is peppered with pot holes. Not so bad to cause issues but definitely makes you slow down often. The SX4 handled it in its stride.

Wont hijack this thread but will post my travelogue this weekend.

Cheers,

Parik
Old 8th October 2013, 16:49   #41
BHPian

Friends, I am planning a Bangalore-Ooty trip in Oct end. Would really appreciate tips and recommendations, especially for good eating places (veg) on the way - breakfast as well as lunch). Thanks a lot and hope you don't mind me asking this question on your thread, Tarique!
Old 9th October 2013, 10:26   #42
BHPian

Nice trip and great photos as well. The elephant snap looks good. Did you come across any others during the journey? How are the rates at Lake View? I am looking to travel to Ooty this weekend.
Old 11th October 2013, 00:42   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Nice trip and great photos as well. The elephant snap looks good. Did you come across any others during the journey? How are the rates at Lake View? I am looking to travel to Ooty this weekend.
The rates are as follows:

Deluxe - 1600 Suite - 1700 Executive - 1900 Villa - 2100

These are the off season rates ( June - September) . The hotel staff told me that peak season rates are generally 300-400 higher. The Villa has the best view.

From Bangalore to Ooty!-lake-vie-villa-1.jpg
tarique2002i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 00:16   #44

I just came back from Ooty in Dec 2013. In Ooty we were putting up at LakeView. We had booked a single room villa for 3000/night. Nice rooms, nice service, pretty decent food and very nice views. Overall I would say the hotel is great value for money! Check out my video on the hotel:

While returning to Bangalore I took the ghat route from Ooty to Masinagudi. It was really an adventurous and picturesque climb down to Masinagudi. I usually see people fretting about this route but it is very doable. Just make sure you have a properly functioning car and your attention should be on the road. You can see the travel video in my You tube channel here:

rohittk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 08:11   #45
BHPian

Just back from Ooty (Dec last week). Took the Gudalur route all the way up and down.

The route is in really bad condition.

We took the Masinagudi route when we went to Ooty about 8 years back and took the same route while climbing down. Should not be an issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks