Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 16:01   #31
BHPian

Re: The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains

Lovely pictures, man! I visited Chikmagalur twice this year, once in june when we drove down & last month on a bike. Such an awesome place, right! Friendly people, food is brilliant as well plus scenic beauty abounds.

Here's a pic of Hirekole lake, did you visit this place? Even if you didnt, am sure you got to see it from the nearby peaks, it's all over
Attached Thumbnails
The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_20131119_170358.jpg  

VedderTheFixer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Lovely pictures, man! I visited Chikmagalur twice this year, once in june when we drove down & last month on a bike. Such an awesome place, right! Friendly people, food is brilliant as well plus scenic beauty abounds.

Here's a pic of Hirekole lake, did you visit this place? Even if you didnt, am sure you got to see it from the nearby peaks, it's all over
This is indeed extremely beautiful ! I'm afraid I had never heard of this place before. Thanks for letting me know.

Can you please let me know where this lake is situated and how to get there ? Thanks.
Old 27th December 2013, 13:05   #33
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue with beautiful pics, the place is awesome as well!
How much time it would take to reach Mullyanagari from Kaimara Jn. and how is the road conditions? How hard is the trek from parking to top, asked because I've some knee issues.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th December 2013, 17:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
This is indeed extremely beautiful ! I'm afraid I had never heard of this place before. Thanks for letting me know.

Can you please let me know where this lake is situated and how to get there ? Thanks.
It's very close to the town of Chikmagalur, around 10 km i think.. we got a map from the lodge owner and got there in a jiffy. Ill get home, look for the map and post a pic, gimme a lil while

There's another lake called Ayyenekere which we did not visit. This one is absolutely breathtaking as well. Not sure as to how to get there, it seems a bit far off from the town.
Old 31st December 2013, 10:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
It's very close to the town of Chikmagalur, around 10 km i think.. we got a map from the lodge owner and got there in a jiffy. Ill get home, look for the map and post a pic, gimme a lil while

There's another lake called Ayyenekere which we did not visit. This one is absolutely breathtaking as well. Not sure as to how to get there, it seems a bit far off from the town.
Ayyanakere is located off the Chikmagalur-Kadur road ( near Sakrepatna ). I've been there and it is indeed a wonderful place. This huge lake is visible on a clear day from the top of the Chandradrona Hills.
raghunandanj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 10:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
How much time it would take to reach Mullyanagari from Kaimara Jn. and how is the road conditions? How hard is the trek from parking to top, asked because I've some knee issues.

Thanks in advance.
The road from Kaimara junction to Mullayanagiri top is in good shape, and is easily passable by low-clearance sedans as well. There is about 50 m of gravelled section about 80% up the mountain, but that does not pose much of a problem if it is not raining or if your tyres are pretty good.

However, the road is narrow and passing areas are few and far between. There are steep sections without banking or restrictive barriers, so it is highly essential that you drive slow and safe.

From the parking lot, you need to climb a series of 200+ steps to reach the shrine on the top. The steps are well paved and are not located at the edge of the mountain, so there are no handrails.

If you cannot climb all the way up, no regrets, as the views from the parking lot are equally impressive. There are a few easy trails that branch off from the parking area with no elevation gain, so you can try them out as well.
Old 7th January 2014, 15:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Some delicious first gear riding is in order on the ride to Mullyanagari From what i remember it's just one rough patch of around 100 m.
Attached Thumbnails
The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_20131121_184759.jpg  

VedderTheFixer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 20:30   #38
BHPian

Thank you VTF, the patch looks divinely delicious...
How much time it will take to reach Mullyanagari from Kaimara, of course by savouring the delicious patch?
Old 8th January 2014, 00:04   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you VTF, the patch looks divinely delicious...
How much time it will take to reach Mullyanagari from Kaimara, of course by savouring the delicious patch?
Im not sure of that ride, i went up Mullayanagari while leaving Chikmagalur for Shimoga. But googling shows its just about 8 km, so no real planning required i guess. The ride up is superb, the variety of birds & butterflies is bewildering Take your time and ride slowly up, superb views of greenery all over
VedderTheFixer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 14:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Probably I am the first one to call this area by this strange name. And this is why -
That is some landscapes you have captured!

Really a mesmerizing place to be at. Can you please let me know what can the flipped 'C' offer us in the month of April? I am planning to drive to this place in the second week of April. I have 3 days in all (including the drive from Chennai) and will hopefully be driving my Rapid. What are all the places I can visit at this small window and which is the better place to stay, Chikmagalur or Kemmanagundi? Also can you please suggest me some beautiful stay options?

Thanks!
Old 27th February 2014, 15:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
That is some landscapes you have captured!

Really a mesmerizing place to be at. Can you please let me know what can the flipped 'C' offer us in the month of April? I am planning to drive to this place in the second week of April. I have 3 days in all (including the drive from Chennai) and will hopefully be driving my Rapid. What are all the places I can visit at this small window and which is the better place to stay, Chikmagalur or Kemmanagundi? Also can you please suggest me some beautiful stay options?

Thanks!
Well, the region is rather dry during the summer months, and some places tend to be dusty as well. Not the optimal season to visit, but nevertheless, here's what you can do :

All options for lodging are nestled in around Chikmagalur town. A few basic lodges are on the main road and many great homestays around the town offer good lodging. You can also try the heritage property guesthouse of Tata Coffee Plantation Trails ( www.plantationtrails.net --> Choose the Chikmagalur bungalow ). It is very close to Mullayanagiri and Bababudangiri.

Additionally, there is a neat lodge and restaurant on the way up to Bababudangiri from Attigundi ( Forgot the name, but its right on the road, so you cannot miss it ). This one is a safe bet even with families.

Kemmangundi has very basic government guest-houses and just a worn-down canteen that hardly offers anything to eat. I do not recommend staying there.

Your Rapid will have no issues at all, but access Kemmangundi via Lingadahalli ( The way buses go ). Do not take the road via the sanctuary, for it will break the axles of your car.
Old 6th November 2014, 19:20   #42
BHPian

Well, given that it has been a while since I went back to Chikmagalur ( now "Chikkamagaluru" to be precise ), I thought it best to explore a bit around the Jagara valley, Muthodi, Khandya and the "bowl" of the Bhadra reserve. However, we could not make it up to Muthodi due to unforeseen issues, but I did a bit of exploration around the Muthodi - Khandya belt.

The Bhadra river from Balehonnur turns towards the north after the Khandya temple, and forms a cascade known as "Kudure Abbi". Unfortunately, due to acts of vandalism, noise and hurting the sentiments of the local culture by a group from the urban jungles, this place has been closed off for visitors, and I could not make it up.
Nevertheless, here are some notes on the Khandya Muthodi Stretch, albeit with limited pictures.

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-map.jpg

Stretch between Kadabagere and Khandya - Excellent
Stretch between Khandya and Sirivase - Patches of Good Road, but passable by Sedans

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7242.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7252.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7301.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7337.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7338.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7340.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7342.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7348.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7393.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7407.jpg

The Flipped "C" of Chikmagalur - Call of the Mountains-img_7329.jpg
raghunandanj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 14:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Well, given that it has been a while since I went back to Chikmagalur ( now "Chikkamagaluru" to be precise ), I thought it best to explore a bit around the Jagara valley, Muthodi, Khandya and the "bowl" of the Bhadra reserve. However, we could not make it up to Muthodi due to unforeseen issues, but I did a bit of exploration around the Muthodi - Khandya belt.
Hi,
I am planning a weekend trip to Chikmagluru and Kemmangundi.
Can we take our own 4wd to Hebbe falls or is it only in jeeps..?
how is the weather in CKM, is it raining still?

- Sudeep

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks