Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 13:51   #91
BHPian

Re: Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!

Thank You all for your kind words about the TL. I really enjoyed writing it and reading your appreciation for the same. I shall post some information about costs and route maps soon!

I am trying to copy paste maps from google here but dont really know how to. Any suggestions?
Old 18th October 2013, 14:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

@Mannuj - Absolutely fantastic travelogue with some great pictures. I am really envious of you as you are really making full use of the capabilities of the Obelix. One of these days the 'Falcon' needs to join you on your escapades...
Old 18th October 2013, 15:24   #93
BHPian

Dear Manuuj, Since you've recently done this trip, in your opinion, can a sedan say a Manza, make this trip to leh? Whats the degree of difficulty compared to the Manali Rohtang road ? Planning to go next Aug-Sep accompanied by a Scorpio & a Duster.

Last edited by windiesel : 18th October 2013 at 15:25.
Old 18th October 2013, 16:19   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Dear Manuuj, Since you've recently done this trip, in your opinion, can a sedan say a Manza, make this trip to leh? Whats the degree of difficulty compared to the Manali Rohtang road ? Planning to go next Aug-Sep accompanied by a Scorpio & a Duster.
I think TBhp guide on Leh Ladakh will have your question covered. Please refer following thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ghlight=ladakh

Also, there are quite a few Ladakh travelogues here on this forum which are done in a sedan. Please check travelogues section.
Old 18th October 2013, 16:20   #95
BHPian

Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@Mannuj - Absolutely fantastic travelogue with some great pictures. I am really envious of you as you are really making full use of the capabilities of the Obelix. One of these days the 'Falcon' needs to join you on your escapades...
Thank you dkaile! I see that you have been enjoying your new 2 wheeler ..meanwhile Falcon is craving your attention. Lets go next year together. I think even Admiral and Bison have threatened legal action if not taken to Leh soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
The Srinagar Leh route has just been done in a Manza as you may have read in : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hd-2013-a.html

The road from Srinagar and Manali is more suited for these cars.

That said, we saw some Alto's also doing the Kaza route so I'm sure the Manza will do fine too. Its just a matter of being careful in the really rough sections.
Old 19th October 2013, 18:51   #96
Senior - BHPian

What a wonderful travelogue Manuuj. The photos and your write up is totally mesmerizing, read the whole thing and so far in India, i have not seen a more beautiful place than Leh.

Thumbs up to Obelix as well, you have maintained the car well, just doesnt look like the car has done 1 lakh kms, there is a reason why Fortuner still sells so much with its atrocious price - reliability and go anywhere attitude.

BTW, we were heading to Manali next month and wanted to ask you on how are the road conditions between Bilaspur to Manali? I have heard the stretch is really bad, Skoda Rapid and a new gen VW Jetta would be going, would it pose a problem to sedans? How poor are the road conditions?
Old 19th October 2013, 20:01   #97
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing the experience
One of the best travelogue I’ve read! This was not just the routine drive and pictures. One could feel the emotional connect you had with whole experience/journey.

Thanks once again!
Old 21st October 2013, 13:06   #98
BHPian

Really killer log.
I agreed with you about enjoying the log slowly but had got impatient but never the less enjoyed reading it and seeing some amazing pictures. Truly a 5 star travelogue.

And a big thanks to OBELIX.
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
What a wonderful travelogue Manuuj. The photos and your write up is totally mesmerizing, read the whole thing and so far in India, i have not seen a more beautiful place than Leh.

Thumbs up to Obelix as well, you have maintained the car well, just doesnt look like the car has done 1 lakh kms, there is a reason why Fortuner still sells so much with its atrocious price - reliability and go anywhere attitude.

BTW, we were heading to Manali next month and wanted to ask you on how are the road conditions between Bilaspur to Manali? I have heard the stretch is really bad, Skoda Rapid and a new gen VW Jetta would be going, would it pose a problem to sedans? How poor are the road conditions?
Thank you for your kind words coolboy007! Leh sure is an amazing place to go see in person. It is a case of the journey and the destination being equally special!

I dont think the Fortuner has an atrocious price. It may be expensive to buy ofcourse but the price is fully justified and is actually great value for money. Its hugely reliable and cheap to maintain. In almost 4 years and 100,000 kms i have spent about INR 66,000/- towards its routine maintenance and service costs.

This comes to Rs.0.66 per km. Pretty good wouldn't you say?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks for sharing the experience
One of the best travelogue I’ve read! This was not just the routine drive and pictures. One could feel the emotional connect you had with whole experience/journey.

Thanks once again!
vb-san thank you for your kind words and encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo1984 View Post
Really killer log.
I agreed with you about enjoying the log slowly but had got impatient but never the less enjoyed reading it and seeing some amazing pictures. Truly a 5 star travelogue.

And a big thanks to OBELIX.
Thank you alfaromeo1984. As i mentioned earlier on the log there is quite an increase in the level of respect and awe in my eyes now when i look at Obelix.

Here are some pics from the Sand dune outing at Hunder. They were clicked by Abhimanyu and he sent them to me yesterday.

Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-2.jpg
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-3.jpg

Obelix taking in the view and enjoying the calm after desert storm
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-1.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:57   #100
BHPian

That's a wonderful post! I wish you more and more happy miles with the Obelix!

P.S. - That's a whole lot of stuff you carry along on your trips. ENVY!

Cheers!
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:15   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
One of the best travalogues. Thanks for this experience. Deserves 5*
Thank you for your kind words baskar. I really enjoyed reliving the journey as i wrote the travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Mate, I've been glued to your travelogue the past few days. I've rated this thread a very deserving 5 stars
Thank you BackInTheFold for your words and encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Really enjoyed the pics and write up top bottom. My pat to Obelix for the tedious yet safe journey

Who would not love those hot Omelettes?
Those hot spicy Omelettes after an early start on on empty stomach with our destination for the day Manali in our view was really something special!!

Obelix sure did prove himself on this journey. The best part it not only did it get no special preparation before the journey, besides its routine 100,000 kms service but that even after coming back from a 3000 km 15 day non stop trip in the worlds most treacherous terrain, it did not even require a wheel alignment!!

Truly another great product from the TOYOTA stable! Thanks for your kind words jacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
Manuuj, you've done us all a great service by sharing this travelogue. You've done a thankless job of making all of us aware of Leh and several other places along the way. This great thread will motivate many to drive to Leh. It will also motivate many to share their travel experience. You've set a great example. You're a true leader. Thanks a ton.
The true leaders on this Forum are people like HVK TSK and ADC. Do a search for the threads they wrote in the top right box of any Team-Bhp page. You will know what i mean.

Their Travelogues were my inspiration for the trip and the TL too. Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement kaizanfan. The encouragement and knowledge that my fellow bhpians enjoyed reading it made all the long hours composing it well worth the effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
A very well written travelogue.I frequently visited this thread to check for updates .Please upload the one-lakh km mile-stone photo,if you have any.
I think maybe you missed it as it may have taken time to load. i shall reproduce them for you below:

The 100,000 kms mark
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-342.jpg

The exact place "Kyoto Bridge" over the Spiti River ahead of Kaza where Obelix and I reached this milestone. A truly well deserved place to reach the mark instead of some traffic jam in Delhi..
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-347.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
Congratulations once again Manuuj! You lived your dream!
Top-class narration, top-notch photos!
Both, you and Obelix surely deserves a pat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Wow, Awesome just felt like i am at those places, Nice pics, awesome narration. Just like you dreamt of this trip earlier, I am doing this now a days and hope to hit Leh soon. The beauty, the terrain is just bloody awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Great Tavelogue Manuuj.kept me glued for days .
Thank you nishantdlv, sameerg001 and behaln for your kind words and encouragement! As i said before reading your comments makes the long hours composing the TL well worth the effort!
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

Manuuj,
A great end to a fabulous journey. I guess there should be always something left for the next drive.

OT (As this is a travelogue forum !):
How did the Yokos perform ? Would be most eager to know...
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:09   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Manuuj,
A great end to a fabulous journey. I guess there should be always something left for the next drive.

OT (As this is a travelogue forum !):
How did the Yokos perform ? Would be most eager to know...
Thanks again HG for your kind words. I must say i was a bit worried about the Yokos before i undertook the journey but the passed the test with flying colors. Both cars were on Yokos and only suffered one puncture each due to nails and not stone cuts.

Given Below Is a Summary of the Cost of Fuel and Average Fuel Consumption:

Started with a full tank of 80 liters from Delhi.

Refueled At: Shogi (just before Simla)
Dated:17th September
Route: Delhi-Karnal-Ambala-Zirakpur-Solan-Shogi
Distance Covered:344 kms
Liters Filled: 25 liters @ Rs1300/-
Average Fuel Consumption:13.8 kmpl
Note: Best fuel consumption for the trip.

Refueled At: Recong Peo
Dated: 20th September
Route : Shogi-Simla-Jeori-Sarahan-Jeori-Karcham-Chitkul-Karcham-Powari-Recong Peo.
Distance Covered: 330 kms
Liters Filled: 40 liters @ Rs.2150/
Average Fuel Consumption: 8.3 kmpl
Note:The fuel consumption has dropped here due to road conditions/ Frequent stop starts/ Driving in low gear slowly over great distances

Refueled At: Kaza
Dated: 22nd September
Route: Recong Peo-Puh-Nako-Malling Nallah-Tabo-Kaza.
Distance Covered 210kms
Liters Filled: 28 liters- @ Rs.1500/-
Average Fuel Consumption: 7.5kmpl
Note: Worst Fuel consumption of the trip. Faced two major landslides at Powari and then at Malling Nallah the next day. The car was not switched off and was idling for hours at end. The road conditions were poor and we were driving in 2nd and 3rd gear over long distances also.

Refueled At: Leh
Dated:24th September
Route: Kaza -Keylang-Jispa-BaralachaLa-Sarchu-Gata Loops-Nakila-LachulungLa-Pang-TanglangLa-Upshi-Karu-Leh
Distance:550 kms
Liters Filled: 53 liters @ Rs 3100/
Average Fuel Consumption:10.4 kmpl
Note: The fuel consumption was about normal for the altitude and driving conditions. We crossed 4 high mountain passes in this route. Low Range was also used quite a bit while ascending the shortcuts at Gata Loops and descending from a shortcut at TanglangLa

Refueled at: Leh
Dated: 26th September
Route: Leh-Southpullu-Leh-Basgo Gompa-Ney-Basgo-Alchi-Leh
Distance: 220 kms
Liters Filled: 21 liters@ Rs.1250/
Average Fuel Consumption:10.5 kmpl
Note: Fuel Consumption has settled at the 10.5 kmpl mark which is good for the altitude that we are at. Road conditions were above average also for the area.

Refueled At: Leh
Dated: 29th September
Route: Leh-Khardungla-Diskit-Hunder-Diskit-Hunder-North Pullu-Khardungla- Leh
Distance: 260 kms
Liters Filled: 31 liters @ Rs.1800/
Average Fuel Consumption: 8.4 kmpl
Note: Average dropped again due to idling on the heights of the highest motorable pass in the world for over 80 minutes. Low range was also used at Hunder Dune Bashing

Refueled At: Manali
Dated: 30th September
Route:Leh-Karu-Upshi-TanglangLa-Pang-LachulungLa-NakeeLa-Gata Loops-Sarchu-BaralachaLa-Keylang-RohtangLa-Manali
Distance Covered: 475 kms
Liters Filled: 45 liters @ 2400/
Average Fuel Consumption:10.6 kmpl
Note: Normal fuel consumption

Refueled At: Delhi
Dated:2nd October
Route: Manali-Delhi
Distance Covered: 610 kms
Liters Filled: 50 liters @2600/-
Average Fuel Consumption:12.2 kmpl
Note: This includes driving within Manali and then driving in Delhi the next day after we arrived. We reached on the night of 1st October but I refueled on the evening of 2nd October only

Total Distance Covered: 2999 Kilometers.

Total Fuel Consumed: 293 Liters

Average Fuel Consumption: 10.2 kmpl

Total Money Spent on Fuel: Rs.16,100/-

Lowest Cost of Fuel: Rs.50.59/- (Sonepat, Haryana)

Highest Cost of Fuel: Rs.57.72/- (Leh)

Average Cost of Fuel for the Trip: Rs.54.94/-

Cost of the Experience: Priceless.
Manuuj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 23:48   #104
BHPian

Excellent write-up Manuuj with breathtaking photographs. Rated a well deserved *****.
I have always loved the fortuner but your posts and Obelix made me the see the car in a new perspective. Respect.
Old 27th October 2013, 14:08   #105

Hi Manuuj..narration and pictures superb!!!.have always been a big fan of the T.Fort..after seeing the pictures am floored by it..hope to have one of my own soon..great trip u have had
cheers
The Bulk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks