Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2015, 09:50   #61
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Desert Storm'd into the Thar Desert and the Little Rann of Kutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri1101 View Post
Hi M, thats a good start up. I have swapped the desert tent programme with a two day stay at Gir.

I will cover Somnath, which is about 80 KM south ... still going to Diu which is further south east could eat into the timings but worth the seaside drive.

Yet waiting for some feedback, as i would not like to hurt the back of my spouse by a 13 hours stretch (planning one for Mangalore-Mumbai in November end though) on place to stay between, Vadodara, Anand, outskirts of of Ahmedabad or even Surendra Nagar, if it makes sense after a 9 hour drive.

Note from Support: Post edited for grammar & spacing. Please avoid using excessive dots in your post. Thanks!
I won't be the best person to answer this as I have never stayed in Vadodara or Ahmedabad. But I recall seeing a few hotels along the Vadodara bypass which leads to brilliant NE-1 to Ahmedabad.

Once on NE-1, it is advisable to continue straight for Ahmedabad instead of taking a detour to Anand or Nadiad. Vadodara to Ahmedabad takes hardly an hour on the terrific NE-1. Once in Ahmedabad, you will have to take the Sardar Patel Ring Road to exit towards Surendranagar. Again, there are a few hotels along the Ring Road, but I will not be able to detail out as I have never stayed there so never bothered to keep an account of the hotels along the highway.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 10:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Yet waiting for some feedback, as i would not like to hurt the back of my spouse by a 13 hours stretch (planning one for Mangalore-Mumbai in November end though) on place to stay between, Vadodara, Anand, outskirts of of Ahmedabad or even Surendra Nagar, if it makes sense after a 9 hour drive.
Hey Capri1101,
It's best that you finish NE1 in one go. Make sure that you have enough fuel before entering NE1.
After Ahmedabad, I hope you would be heading to Viramgam - Dhrangadhra - Halvad - Maliya - Kutch.
It would be good to have rest after Ahmedabad. Sanad is good option. Due to progress of Auto Industry in Sanad, it has quite a few hotel options available.
Mumbai to Sanand should be 550 KM. From there Bhuj should be another 300 KM.

Krsna Lila is a good option. It's good 45 KM from end of NE1's SP Ring Road exit.
http://www.hotelkrsnalila.com/
Desert Storm'd into the Thar Desert and the Little Rann of Kutch-1.png
zalaps is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 16:23   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Hey Capri1101,
It's best that you finish NE1 in one go. Make sure that you have enough fuel before entering NE1.
After Ahmedabad, I hope you would be heading to Viramgam - Dhrangadhra - Halvad - Maliya - Kutch.
It would be good to have rest after Ahmedabad. Sanad is good option. Due to progress of Auto Industry in Sanad, it has quite a few hotel options available.
Mumbai to Sanand should be 550 KM. From there Bhuj should be another 300 KM.

Krsna Lila is a good option. It's good 45 KM from end of NE1's SP Ring Road exit.
http://www.hotelkrsnalila.com/
Attachment 1431166
Thanks for all the help, I am back in Mumbai after a 8 day trip to the Kutch and Saurashtra, logging 3425 KMs. The drive was superb. I need to give some solace to the disciplined driving in Mumbai, Maharashtra and Karnataka highways. Gujrat, many would agree is an exception. The right most lanes are used only by heavy vehicles and the left most lane for all wheelers, which are 4 or less wheels. Insha Allah, without a small scratch or an incident, I am back now, having seen some fantastic roads that even make the Mumbai - Pune expressway to shame. Thats the quality of infrastructure created by L&T and their local partners. Tolls are quite heavy, by the way. Mumbai - Sanand ( 600 Kms and night halt)-Gandhidam(detoured by mistake, following a cop's advice!)-Bhuj ( Kala Dhongar/White Rann at Dholrodo/Mandvi/Narayan Sarovar) - Rajkot - Sasan Gir - Somnath - Diu - and 13 hour non stop ( but for lunch) from Somnath to Mumbai, was just a marvellous drive. The sight seeing at all places are just a pass, but for a BHPian it is the road and machine ( thanks Q3, you are great though you drank more than what was promised)..
Capri1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 12:51   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai - Sanand ( 600 Kms and night halt)-Gandhidam(detoured by mistake, following a cop's advice!)-Bhuj ( Kala Dhongar/White Rann at Dholrodo/Mandvi/Narayan Sarovar) - Rajkot - Sasan Gir - Somnath - Diu - and 13 hour non stop ( but for lunch) from Somnath to Mumbai, was just a marvellous drive. The sight seeing at all places are just a pass, but for a BHPian it is the road and machine ( thanks Q3, you are great though you drank more than what was promised)..
That's great amount of distance!
Where did you stayed in Sanand & Other places. Review of the same would be great help to other forum members.
Old 18th November 2015, 14:25   #65
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the help, I am back in Mumbai after a 8 day trip to the Kutch and Saurashtra, logging 3425 KMs.
That's incredible Capri !

Do start a travelogue with loads of pics, it will immensely help others.

I am planning to drive down to Rann of Kutch in January. Planning to do Pune to Bhuj, then a quick drive into the Rann and Mandvi Beach. Then return back via the coastal route from Dwarka to Diu and back to Pune via Bhavnagar and Bharuch. Any good stay options in Bhuj, Somnath or Diu?

Also any permits required to take your own vehicle into the Rann from Bhuj?

Need your suggestions, please.
Old 18th November 2015, 22:29   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
That's incredible Capri !

Do start a travelogue with loads of pics, it will immensely help others.

I am planning to drive down to Rann of Kutch in January. Planning to do Pune to Bhuj, then a quick drive into the Rann and Mandvi Beach. Then return back via the coastal route from Dwarka to Diu and back to Pune via Bhavnagar and Bharuch. Any good stay options in Bhuj, Somnath or Diu?

Also any permits required to take your own vehicle into the Rann from Bhuj?

Need your suggestions, please.
I will post the travelogue in some time, now getting ready to go to Badami, Hampi, Chickamagaluru, Udupi and back.

The prose is faster but photos were taken through multiple medium, and hence need to be collated ( should come with some good photos, having seen some very nice snaps).. I did plan the coastal route, from Somnath to Bharuch, but was advised not to take as the roads are two lane, and hence lower average speed, though one could save atleast 10% on the distance. So took the NH8 and its tributaries, but gave me an average hourly coverage of 80 KMs till Vadodara.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:45   #67
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will post the travelogue in some time, now getting ready to go to Badami, Hampi, Chickamagaluru, Udupi and back.

The prose is faster but photos were taken through multiple medium, and hence need to be collated ( should come with some good photos, having seen some very nice snaps).. I did plan the coastal route, from Somnath to Bharuch, but was advised not to take as the roads are two lane, and hence lower average speed, though one could save atleast 10% on the distance. So took the NH8 and its tributaries, but gave me an average hourly coverage of 80 KMs till Vadodara.
Thanks for the update and all the best for your next trip.

Just one question, any permits required to drive your own vehicle into the Rann?
Old 28th November 2015, 10:52   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Thanks for the update and all the best for your next trip.

Just one question, any permits required to drive your own vehicle into the Rann?
There are no permits required. Of course the last road that leads into the desert can be approached only on foot or with the unofficial camel/bullock ride. The Rann Utsav starts from December for a couple of months and this area near Dholrodo, come to life with hundreds of tents and local cultural fanfare. In case you plan to visit, Gir, better to book online tickets for the safari.. which normally gets booked a few months in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks