Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: A trip to the Jewel of the West - Gujarat

Congratulations on getting hitched @guyfrmblr. Looks like you had a very nice trip. The pictures are lovely and the narration is great. Hopefully, I too will go there sometime.

Now, I would like to ask you the same question asked by many others. Why Gujarat? Please don't answer with a smile unless you want to keep it a secret . I ask you this because Gujarat is mostly not identified as a 'honeymoooney' destination (atleast by people from the south).
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Now, I would like to ask you the same question asked by many others. Why Gujarat? Please don't answer with a smile unless you want to keep it a secret . I ask you this because Gujarat is mostly not identified as a 'honeymoooney' destination (atleast by people from the south).
Hahaha, there is nothing to hide. As I have mentioned earlier, we didn't have any particular reason for selecting Gujarat. I asked the same question to my wife after returning from there. She used to hear a lot about the development activities at Gujarat and hence randomly picked it. I definitely didn't want to go to the usual honeymoon destinations as I was already bored of seeing most of those places in the 'honeymoon pics' in my family and friends circle. So I immediately agreed for the Gujarat plan. In fact one may feel disappointed if they select Gujarat as a 'honeymooney' destination as there are no such perceived romantic places like green hills covered with mist or beautiful rivers with snow covered mountains in the background . But after visiting Gujarat, I thanked my wife for selecting such a meaningful place.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 22nd January 2015 at 16:10.
guyfrmblr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:45   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
...Gujarat as a 'honeymooney' destination...
Well, congratulations on your wedding, and a double serving of congratulations for a well-spent honeymoon travelling through Saurashtra. Been to all the places you covered a few times, but then, I've also missed out on a few of the places you've covered on your trip. The caves at Porbandar would certainly be on my to-do list for the next trip to that region.

Unfortunate that you couldn't visit the Gir forest. Better luck the next time - you'll find details about procedures etc. on this thread.

For the best kind of romantic sunsets (and sunrises) and beaches, you should have visited Diu instead of staying on at Somnath - you were within a stone's throw of the place anyway!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 09:11   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new phase of life Vinay!!!
And thanks for this very nice detailed write-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So that's where it all started - Except on 2 occasions during my wedding, I always drove to Gujarat and I still prefer to do so. I did exactly the same circuit in 2012 (Although I did venture towards Kutch after Dwarka) and will be doing so again in May and your Travelogue is posted at a wrong time!! I am tempted to drive almost this weekend now.
During the month of may, it will be peak summer, right?
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 12:48   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
During the month of may, it will be peak summer, right?
Apparently yes! My wife thinks Kids cope up well during summers than in winters.

Hence, I have "agreed" to what she says so that I get to drive in next 2 months .

Jan 2014 it was super chilled when we drove and Gujarat does have temperatures dropping to Single digits.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:48   #51
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations on your wedding. This travelogue urges me to plan a
Gujarat trip with my family. Wonderful pictures.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 16:36   #52
BHPian

Quote:

"Why Gujarat?!!"

My answer was just a smile
Many congratulations for entering into the new phase of life

Great trip I must say. You could have kept few more days in hand and covered Diu as well. This makes more sense since you already went till Somnath/Veraval and Diu is around 85Km from there. Also it seems your wife is more fascinated with sea and beaches. You can find some of the really clean beaches at Diu and I believe you guys would have great time there.

BTW! in case if any one ask me now "Why Gujarat?", This thread will be the perfect answer

Regards
SE
speed_edge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 17:06   #53
BHPian

Hi guyfrmblr

Thanks for bringing this up.
Good Narration and detailing of Akshardham temple.

Even after 14 year in Baroda, could not visit Gir and I feel sorry about it whenever I come across a Gir travelogue.

Gujarati Thali must be interesting, I suppose.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:20   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all, Congratultions guyfrmblr and I wish you happy married life.

Very nice and travelogue. Thanks for sharing.

I thought I had covered many places in Gujarat, but seeing your travelogue, I understand that there are many more places to visit.

Quote:
Bhet Dwaraka (The word 'Bhet' because it was the place where Sudhama met Lord Shri Krishna)
As far as I know it is not Bhet but it is Bet(Pronounced 'Baet' with a Gujarati accent and not like the english word bet).
Bet means 'island' in Gujarati (other words are tapu or dweep)
Since it is an Island, it is called Bet Dwarka.
There are many other 'Bet's in Gujarat; for example Khadir bet (Harappan Civilization remains are here)
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
First of all, Congratultions guyfrmblr and I wish you happy married life.

As far as I know it is not Bhet but it is Bet(Pronounced 'Baet' with a Gujarati accent and not like the english word bet).
Bet means 'island' in Gujarati (other words are tapu or dweep)
Since it is an Island, it is called Bet Dwarka.
There are many other 'Bet's in Gujarat; for example Khadir bet (Harappan Civilization remains are here)
Thanks Hemanth. We saw many versions of Bet/Bhet all over the place. We asked our driver, Prakash for the actual meaning of Bet and he stated the above reason . Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
I thought I had covered many places in Gujarat, but seeing your travelogue, I understand that there are many more places to visit.
According to Prakash, there are many more unexplored places in Saurashtra itself. Planning to visit those places during out next visit to Gujarat.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 2nd February 2015 at 11:32.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 14:21   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations guyfrmblr! Hope you have many many wonderful road trips with your better half.

Thanks a lot for this detailed travelogue. Have been planning a Gujarat trip for a while now and your travelogue will be a great guide. You could have probably included the Little Rann of Kutch in your plan by probably stretching a day or so.

OT: My better half is a beach lover while I love the twistys heights. Over the last year or so, I seem to have only visited beaches. Hope you don't find yourself in a similar pickle
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks