Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2015, 02:27   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: West Bengal - A treasure for tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Dear Samba, if I get one word to describe your post(s), it has to be 'outstanding'.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
By the way, which gear did you use? I'm a believer of man behind the machine. But still out of curiosity, I do want to know your gear.

Cheers!
My camera Kit consists of a 2009 Canon Eos 50D
Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Canon 17-40 L
Canon 24-105 L
Canon 70-300 IS Usm
Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro.
A Canon 600 ERT Flash Light
A vanguard tripod
One non branded wired trigger.
And few Uv filters and one GND filter.
Cs6 for editing.

The pics i shared in this thread, among them many were even taken by my iphone5. For example the last post on monsoon all the three pics i shared are from my i phone camera.

Last edited by Samba : 25th June 2015 at 02:35.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 22:03   #107
BHPian

Brilliant compilation and the pictures are absolutely fantastic! This is easily one of my favourite threads in TeamBHP travelogues. Your pictures and writing might be used as a advertising material by WB Tourism department! I would love to see Mayapur, a few more places in the hills (like Lava, Lolegaon and Rishap) and as SS Traveller had mentioned - Murshidabad. Rated 5 stars!
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 23:49   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
I would love to see Mayapur
I went to Mayapur few months back with family.

MAYAPUR

Distance: 135 Km from Kolkata.

Road Condition: Average for most part. Upto Krishnanagar one can take NH34 which is the shortest route but filled with potholes and occasional heavy traffic. Else one can go via NH2 through durgapur expressway as shown in google maps. This increases the distance to 160km but roads are definitely better. After krishnanagar its a 15 mins drive to the ISKCON temple through a narrow road.

Whats Good ?
  • A must visit place for any religious & spiritual person.
  • Temple premises is very well maintained complete with ATMs, Forex exchange, Restaurants, Gift shop and all.
  • There is a peaceful, soothing & relaxing atmosphere. One shouldn't miss the sandhya arati or the temple bhoga.
  • Although its strictly veg inside temple premises, non veg foods are available in outside restaurants.

Whats Not?
  • Book accommodation with ISKCON well in advance else its hard to get rooms in peak season. There are hotels outside, but its a different environment altogether inside the temple premises.
  • The area outside temple is not well developed and nothing apart from basic amenities can be found there.
  • There is nothing much to see aside from temples. Makes for a pleasant 2-3 days stay if not more. Non-spiritual kind of persons may feel out of place here.

ISKCON Temple Compound
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150503_084342.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150503_083205.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150503_083515.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150503_083549.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150502_142141.jpg

Veg Restaurant Inside Temple Premises
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150502_141942.jpg

Temple Timings
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150502_142131.jpg

TOVP Construction In Progress
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150503_075744.jpg

Ganges River
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150503_075443.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20150503_075309.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 22:46   #109
BHPian

Dear Samba, I will be driving from Kolkata to Malda this month end to attend a private function. Wish to take this opportunity and tour Gour and Pandua capturing its History. Can you recommend the best route I should take from Kolkata to Malda (Durgapur Expressway -> Burdwan -> SH7 -> NH34?), I have the whole day to travel. I can take some pit stops on the way if there are locations of historical/natural interest on the route. Hoping to add to this thread which is now our Bible to West Bengal places to tour.
Old 13th July 2015, 01:54   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzire2Travel View Post
Dear Samba, I will be driving from Kolkata to Malda this month end to attend a private function. Wish to take this opportunity and tour Gour and Pandua capturing its History. Can you recommend the best route I should take from Kolkata to Malda (Durgapur Expressway -> Burdwan -> SH7 -> NH34?), I have the whole day to travel. I can take some pit stops on the way if there are locations of historical/natural interest on the route. Hoping to add to this thread which is now our Bible to West Bengal places to tour.
I am sorry i wont be able to help you much on this as i have not travelled to Malda recently but heard that after the monsoon roads are in pretty bad shape. Bhpain PapaBravo (Pawan Bajpai) took Sh7 on his way back from Malda last month and according to him it took him more than 10 hours. He found Sh7 and nh34 both to be in pretty bad shape. On the other hand Kolkata to Baharampur is also in bad shape. So as of now it will be like a gamble to choose the route for Malda. If Sh60 till Moregram is in good shape you can try that road too. So if Panagarh to Moregram (sh60) is in good shape then it should be the best bet. Please get the update from some one about that road who has travelled recently.

Today i was surprised to find the Durgapur expressway from Palshit to Dankuni is full of pot holes, though the road repair guys have started there work. Now Nh2 is a tolled road so will be repaired soon but roads like sh7, sh60 or nh34 takes a lot of time to get repaired.

Last edited by Samba : 13th July 2015 at 02:01.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 14:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the route as Samba said, NH60 looks like the best bet for you at the moment.
As for the Gaur visit, you may refer to my travelogue:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ear-malda.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I am sorry i wont be able to help you much on this as i have not travelled to Malda recently but heard that after the monsoon roads are in pretty bad shape. Bhpain PapaBravo (Pawan Bajpai) took Sh7 on his way back from Malda last month and according to him it took him more than 10 hours. He found Sh7 and nh34 both to be in pretty bad shape. On the other hand Kolkata to Baharampur is also in bad shape. So as of now it will be like a gamble to choose the route for Malda. If Sh60 till Moregram is in good shape you can try that road too. So if Panagarh to Moregram (sh60) is in good shape then it should be the best bet. Please get the update from some one about that road who has travelled recently.

Today i was surprised to find the Durgapur expressway from Palshit to Dankuni is full of pot holes, though the road repair guys have started there work. Now Nh2 is a tolled road so will be repaired soon but roads like sh7, sh60 or nh34 takes a lot of time to get repaired.
+1 to that.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 16:45   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

He can always take the Kolkata-NH2-Burdwan-NH2B-Bolpur-Siuri-Moregram-NH34-Farakka-Kaliachowk-Malda. Can't he??!!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 09:30   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
He can always take the Kolkata-NH2-Burdwan-NH2B-Bolpur-Siuri-Moregram-NH34-Farakka-Kaliachowk-Malda. Can't he??!!
He can but the routes marked in Bold were in a very bad shape last month while I was returning from Malda.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 09:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
He can but the routes marked in Bold were in a very bad shape last month while I was returning from Malda.
That is indeed true, but if Malda is the destination, this section (Moregram-Malda-NH34) is unavoidable for now. However, till Moregram, this is the best route now.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 11:14   #115
BHPian

For my upcoming trip to Murshidabad in the first week of August, I got couple of route options from very helpful GMHossain..
# 1) SH7/SH11 -- to avoid the bad stretch of SH-7 around Mangalkot area by going through Bhatar-Katwa (SH-14) - Ketugram-Futishanko (SH-6)
# Another possible route could be to take Kalyani Expy, followed by SH-6 (Bansberia-Kalna-Nabadwip-Katwa) up to Futishanko (SH-7 crossing). Then
one could take SH-11 from Kuli Chowrasta to reach NH-34 near Baharampur.

Just asking the alternative route as suggested in GMap through NH-2B from Burdwan till Gumta and then following SH11 to Berhampore --- will this route be better than the other two?
Thanks in advance for any help
subhojitb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 15:00   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhojitb View Post
For my upcoming trip to Murshidabad in the first week of August, I got couple of route options from very helpful GMHossain..
# 1) SH7/SH11 -- to avoid the bad stretch of SH-7 around Mangalkot area by going through Bhatar-Katwa (SH-14) - Ketugram-Futishanko (SH-6)
# Another possible route could be to take Kalyani Expy, followed by SH-6 (Bansberia-Kalna-Nabadwip-Katwa) up to Futishanko (SH-7 crossing). Then
one could take SH-11 from Kuli Chowrasta to reach NH-34 near Baharampur.

Just asking the alternative route as suggested in GMap through NH-2B from Burdwan till Gumta and then following SH11 to Berhampore --- will this route be better than the other two?
Thanks in advance for any help
You can do :
  1. Kolkata - Burdwan - Katwa - Kandi - Behrampore
  2. Kolkata - Shaktigarh - Satgachia - Hematpur - Katwa - Kandi - Behrampore
  3. Kolkata -Krishnanagar (NH-34) - Enter Krishnanagar Bus Stand - Chapra - Karimpur - Islampur - Behrampore

I just returned covering Route 2 & Route 3 and the roads are pretty good. Do not even think of continuing on NH-34 after Krishnanagar as there is really No Road that exists upto Behrampore. Especially Bethuadahari, Plassey & Beldanga is unimaginable. People have started doing fish farming on the roads there !!

However, on NH-34 the roads are fantastic from Dakbunglow More (Barasat) onwards with a 5km damaged roads near Jaguli and that's all about it.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:33   #117
BHPian

Thank you BHP-ians. So recommended route Kolkata -> Barasat -> Krishnanagar -> Chapra -> Karimpur -> Jalangi -> Berhampur -> Moregram -> Farakka -> Malda? I feel nervous already. Showing 8Hrs 20 Mins on Gmaps, so probably total 11 Hours.

OR

As 1100D suggested would Kolkata-NH2-Burdwan-NH2B-Bolpur-Siuri-Moregram-NH34-Farakka-Kaliachowk-Malda make sense with some pain points in between but with overall faster and scenic drive? I understand only someone who has recently traversed both the routes can do the comparison.
Old 30th July 2015, 13:38   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
You can do :
  1. Kolkata - Burdwan - Katwa - Kandi - Behrampore
  2. Kolkata - Shaktigarh - Satgachia - Hematpur - Katwa - Kandi - Behrampore
  3. Kolkata -Krishnanagar (NH-34) - Enter Krishnanagar Bus Stand - Chapra - Karimpur - Islampur - Behrampore

I just returned covering Route 2 & Route 3 and the roads are pretty good.
Thanks a ton AJ-got-BHP for your update. However, as per various news reports major portion of Murshidabad, Burdwan and Nadia are under flood and one of the worst affected area is the Ketugram block. Considering any route I take, I might be travelling through that area, hence feeling really sceptical. Also considering the partial effect of Cyclone Komen, the situation will worsen I believe. As an alternative thinking of Giridih. Any comments are most sought for.

Thanks
Subhojit
Old 30th July 2015, 16:05   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you BHP-ians. So recommended route Kolkata -> Barasat -> Krishnanagar -> Chapra -> Karimpur -> Jalangi -> Berhampur -> Moregram -> Farakka -> Malda? I feel nervous already. Showing 8Hrs 20 Mins on Gmaps, so probably total 11 Hours.

OR

As 1100D suggested would Kolkata-NH2-Burdwan-NH2B-Bolpur-Siuri-Moregram-NH34-Farakka-Kaliachowk-Malda make sense with some pain points in between but with overall faster and scenic drive? I understand only someone who has recently traversed both the routes can do the comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subhojitb View Post
Thanks a ton AJ-got-BHP for your update. However, as per various news reports major portion of Murshidabad, Burdwan and Nadia are under flood and one of the worst affected area is the Ketugram block. Considering any route I take, I might be travelling through that area, hence feeling really sceptical. Also considering the partial effect of Cyclone Komen, the situation will worsen I believe. As an alternative thinking of Giridih. Any comments are most sought for.

Thanks
Subhojit
Just a suggestion, I think this discussion is better suited here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3766364
I have shared my recent experience with some photographs for everyone's reference.

However, would like to share some pics of my drive as mentioned. One can ascertain the road condition accordingly :

Krishnanagar to Karimpur
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-p_20150727_110359.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-p_20150727_110144.jpg

Nabadwip-Hematpur-Nadanghat-Satgachia-Burdwan
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-p_20150728_154200.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-p_20150728_154801.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-p_20150728_155437.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-p_20150728_155509.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-p_20150728_200716.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 23:33   #120
BHPian

Dropped the drive idea. My Dzire will have nothing left to be desired if I attempt this in the present circumstances. Thanks for all the suggestions. Probably will take the train or postpone plans till after Monsoon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks