Team-BHP - Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/16092-ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad-trip-logs.html)

Hai Friends,

Just got back after a trip to Jaisalmer on Ford Fusion. The link to
the trip logs to those who are interested:

http://www.geocities.com/ramkya1/TRIPLOGJAISALMER.htm

The Roads: Ahmedabad to Palanpur Excellent, SH -14, Palanpur to
Deesa - again very good, some road widening work going on in Deesa
town for about 3/4 kms, Deesa thro Dhanera - Sanchor - bad country
roads, better to avoid and take the road to Tharad and turn right to
Sanchor on NH 15, this is longer by about 30 kms but much better
than Dhanera and saves time too.

Sanchor to Barner : NH-15 is a dream run, no traffic and good roads,
watch out for lots of animals and use horn liberally, Barmer to
Jaisalmer : Excellent roads but deserted.

Lots of strong side/head wind, pack up food if possible, no good
hotels after Sanchor till Barmer / Jaisalmer. Petrol Stations
options at Deesa, Tharad, Sanchor, Barmer and Jaisalmer. Its raining
in spell in many places, no water logging, no rut holes on NH 14 and

Jaisalmer to Sam Dunes and other roads towards all dunes are in bad
condition, many of the dips are flooded, they had rains after 4
years, only jeeps can go thro or SUV's. We had a lightning storm,
also a rare thing there and I could catch some shots of the fort
under lightning after lots of effort.

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-13fortonstormme2.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-theroadhomemd7.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-11windmillsonstorm1bf7.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-10stormysunset1hb4.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-8dunesmorn2aa2.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-8campmorncq2.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-7desertsunsetqo3.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-5dunes2rs3.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-4camelsafarijq4.jpg

Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs-2fortsunrise2gd0.jpg

Hope you like what you see and this is useful to someone travelling in this direction.

--Ramky.

Hi Ramky,

Thanks a lot for your posts and trip logs on this route.

Did this sector last weekend (with only your posts for info - after exactly 2 years), and must say, the only thought I had was - "Who says change is the only constant, road conditions in India are pretty close too". Almost identical experience with the roads. Only diff being that we took the Tharad route on our way back and hit the Sanchor-Tharad-Deesa stretch around twilight, which made it slower with a few specks of rain.

But 7.5 hours either way, in an old Santro, with 1 longish tea-stop each, is not bad in my book. Ex Ahmedabad Friday morning at 8, back on Saturday at 11 PM. Needed Sunday at home, else would've covered Jodhpur too.

Thanks again. Happy driving.

Best wishes
Rahul
+91-9909004221

Hi Ramky,

Great pics and nicely written. I am awaiting some more snaps. And the link for the trip logs that you have given is not working.

Guys he wrote that report in 2006.
@Ramky if you still have some pictures uploaded please give us some viewing pleasure.

Ramky, good pictures of your trip, can you post some more pictures too, Rajasthan is been superb place to visit with lots to see and visit.

Ramkya and Rahul,

Can you suggest local places around ahmedabad to visit, maybe 4-5 hours drive one way!

Thanks,

K

Sorry ppl, been away on a long tour and got caught up with piled up work.

@Rahul: The trip logs have that advantage, even after years, one can use it, only the road conditions change, the KMS, turns stay constant. 7.5 hrs is pretty decent on a Santro, I had a santro way back, did Ahmedbad-Shimla once and know how it feels to do long long distance on a Santro, its one hell of a reliable car.

@Sami: Will try to load the logs once again here, let me see.... yes...got that from the archives and uploaded here.

@Lalu & Vijay: Will have to did deep into the archives... I have some really good photos of that place, will hunt up and post a coupla. The 20 minute loading restriction here is a pain!!!!

@Skartik: Udaipur, Ranakpur, Nadhwara, Mt. Abu, Pathan, Modhera etc., there are many more.. I have trip logs of all of these, PM me your mail ID, i'd mail them to you.

Hi Ramky,

When can we savour your recent trip report and pictures :)

Cheers

we have already seen and discussed that :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by laluks (Post 1451701)
we have already seen and discussed that :)

I remember seeing the curtain raiser but don't remember getting the full edition. Too many mails going through my inbox these days :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1451890)
I remember seeing the curtain raiser but don't remember getting the full edition. Too many mails going through my inbox these days :)

I could do an extensive travalogue of my recent trip in another place as there's no restriction to the edit time, it's so easy, I can write the story, upload it and then add the pictures into the narration one by one, any time, without fear of being locked out. Here the 20 minute restriction is a demotivator. When I get some time this weeend, I'd try my had at a shorer log here.

=====

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramkya1 (Post 1451366)
@Rahul: The trip logs have that advantage, even after years, one can use it, only the road conditions change, the KMS, turns stay constant.

Very interesting and useful log. This may be a naive question but how do you maintain that log? Like the ODO, time, do you scribble it down and then fill in the excel sheet or you have some automated GPS based tool for this? I tried scribbling in paper, but with just me in the car, I had to stop and scribble or use a tape recorder to record and then collate all the information. That is all a lot of work. Please enlighten us on how you go about creating such impressive logs.

Nainar

Quote:

Originally Posted by anainar (Post 1452266)
Very interesting and useful log. This may be a naive question but how do you maintain that log? Like the ODO, time, do you scribble it down and then fill in the excel sheet or you have some automated GPS based tool for this? I tried scribbling in paper, but with just me in the car, I had to stop and scribble or use a tape recorder to record and then collate all the information. That is all a lot of work. Please enlighten us on how you go about creating such impressive logs.

Nainar

All manual work!!!!

All trips are with my family, we have done many many trips over the last 5/6 years; have a log book on the dash. Passengers take turns in filling out the details, later we transfer the written logs into the excel. Initially family members were a little irritated at my constant nagging to fill the book; soon they realized the importance of the logs and how it helps us and others if we have to drive on the same route. Now-a-days, it happens automatically:)

======

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijaythacker (Post 1445023)
Ramky, good pictures of your trip, can you post some more pictures too, Rajasthan is been superb place to visit with lots to see and visit.

I just checked my PM's, the mods have archived all my Jaisalmir pictures, there were a lot of them, no point in re-loadin them. Maybe you can PM the mods and ask them how to access old photos.

====

Located my old trip logs for Jaisalmer, somebody called me last week, said the link does not work, don't remember the number or who, sorry. Logs are in post 7 here...........