Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 23:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Hatchback and an epic 2000 kms road-trip to Spiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
@ringoism Just wanted know what one can expect if the trip is planned in the first week of October. Are the snow melt streams passable during that part of the year.
I've been out there in October and it is much drier; I actually don't have memories of the crossings at all on those trips. And friends came back last week saying it was actually pretty decent even now.

By October, there IS a possibility of hard-packed snow/ice at Kunzum-La, though, which can be quite dangerous on the Manali side, where the sun doesn't shine much and it can accumulate even on some steep parts and hairpins. The second time I was out there it was mid-October, and it had snowed at Kunzum a couple weeks previous and left quite a lot of accumulation (more than a foot) on the sides. Road itself had been cleared and was mostly okay, though.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 31st August 2015 at 23:42.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 10:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
By October, there IS a possibility of hard-packed snow/ice at Kunzum-La, though, which can be quite dangerous on the Manali side, where the sun doesn't shine much and it can accumulate even on some steep parts and hairpins. The second time I was out there it was mid-October, and it had snowed at Kunzum a couple weeks previous and left quite a lot of accumulation (more than a foot) on the sides. Road itself had been cleared and was mostly okay, though.
Thanks a lot for sharing your valuable first hand experience. The plan is to go to Kaza from Kinnaur side and then proceed to Manali via the Kunzum-La and Rohtang. Have also an alternative plan in mind as per which in case the road conditions do not permit to proceed beyond Kunzum or rather beyond Batal (as the Batal-Chhatru stretch is also considered the worst one), then will probably turn back to Kaza. Will definitely post the experience if the trip materializes.

Regards

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 1st September 2015 at 10:33.
Old 1st September 2015, 19:55   #48
BHPian

Excellent Travelogue, amongst the best I've ever read. I did Chitkul-Sangla in my Ritz in 2012 and Manali-LEH- Srinagar in my 2014 Linea this year.

All I can say is I really loved your attitude throughout the trip. You lived up and enjoyed every bit of it. That's the most important (irrespective of the car or anything else) thing on these roads else they can make your life hell in no time. Also you kept your wife positive. Kudos!

Looking forward to more from your end. Cheers!
kaushal21fb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 01:05   #49
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Do NOT unnecessarily bump up old threads or ask irrelevant questions for your own benefit.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2017 at 23:42.
jsanket is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks