Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trekking 100 kms from Garudmaachi to Lonavla! How hard can it be?

Sanjay,

Hats off to you for taking on the gruelling trek and topping it with an even lesser time this time. You are IMO the superhuman on the same lines as the army guys. Every pic was telling the effort taken on the trek and it felt like I was walking along side with you except that I dont have a certificate.

I guess the trek was more fruitful and worth doing because you had your friend alongside with you. Kudos the trek management and support team for their efforts in keeping you guys motivated all through the walk.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:36   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on your feet!! By this post, I believe you were able to inspire a lot of people in this tribe and definitely I am one among them. But not sure about the capabilities since I am on a heavier side and not done any long walks in my entire life.

Nevertheless, I am going to start with baby steps and would participate next year.
neelemail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sanjay and team! Wonderful experience! as others mentioned its surely inspiring and if I can time it well, I'm up for driving to Tamahini from bangalore and attend this event. Not sure about my capabilities but got enough charge post reading this thread Any such events around Bangalore!
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:03   #34
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Congratulations Sanjay and team! Wonderful experience! as others mentioned its surely inspiring and if I can time it well, I'm up for driving to Tamahini from bangalore and attend this event. Not sure about my capabilities but got enough charge post reading this thread Any such events around Bangalore!
There is a Bangalore version of the Oxfam Trailwalker event and in fact Bangalore started hosting the event a year before Mumbai. So this year, Bangalore would the 4th year of the trailwalker event. Its on 22nd Jan 2016. Almost 2 months left.

https://trailwalker.oxfamindia.org/e...vent/bengaluru

But the Tamhini ghat trail is supposed to be more beautiful (and tougher). So, please do join in next time!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
There is a Bangalore version of the Oxfam Trailwalker event and in fact Bangalore started hosting the event a year before Mumbai. So this year, Bangalore would the 4th year of the trailwalker event. Its on 22nd Jan 2016. Almost 2 months left.

https://trailwalker.oxfamindia.org/e...vent/bengaluru

But the Tamhini ghat trail is supposed to be more beautiful (and tougher). So, please do join in next time!
Thank you Sanjay,

I've started looking for team members now, I'll keep in touch, I'm surely going to need some help on fund raising tips etc.. let me see if I can get strong team members who can work on this. I remember you sharing this on XUV500 WA group some time back but I think I did not look into more details at that time. I'll talk to you, one of the weekends, whenever you have time to learn from your experience and tips. Thanks again.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:32   #36
BHPian

Wow ! What a read - completed all in one go and as someone rightfully mentioned, we felt as if we were walking alongside you all the way !

Congratulations and thanks for this wonderful post. I loved trekking and hiking, in fact I remember the most that we had walked was 30kms a day in the lonavala area.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 16:18   #37
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I have mentioned that there are some inaccuracies in the kilometer markings along the trail and quite a few times the trekkers cover more distance than what is shown. Here's an example:
Screenshot from Endomondo Sports-tracker app at Checkpoint-3. As per Oxfam, CP3 is at 33.2kms, whereas GPS shows 35.58kms covered! That's 2.4KMs more!

Trekking 100 kms from Garudmaachi to Lonavla! How hard can it be?-1449139507015.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 3rd December 2015 at 16:27.
Old 3rd December 2015, 17:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Saw this weird looking structure. Couldn't even hazard a guess about what could be this. Anyone here knows?
Attachment 1445141
That's a VOR beacon which provides guidance to aircraft ... kind of like highway direction markers. Commercial aircraft don't fly a straight route from Airport A to B, but fly from A --> VOR 1 ---> VOR 2 --> several other VORS --> Airport B.

Wikipedia has a decent article with more details and some more pics.

Last edited by vivtho : 3rd December 2015 at 17:02. Reason: Added URL
vivtho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 13:28   #39
BHPian

Terrific! Quite an accomplishment. Congrats to you sir and your team.

You have given many insights, valuable pointers throughout your narration, some looks very basic for readers, but trekkers point of view very useful. Thank you.

Was doing lots of trek, walks, bicycle trips during school/college days without any specific gears. But imagining that sitting infront of a computer inside AC cabin mind says is it possible now?

As one of the sign read "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!"
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks