Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 13:50   #46
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The rarefied air of a high altitude cold desert - Spiti Valley on Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Wow! An adventurous trip indeed. Wonderful pictures as well.

As you have done this circuit, could you please let me know the feasibility of doing this circuit in my Hyundai EON? What about petrol availability in this circuit, given that my EON has 32 lts tank.
We met a family from UP who were travelling in a low slung old-gen Ford Figo in Spiti. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Figo managing such terrain so I casually asked the guy who was driving the car about the issues with low GC cars in Spiti. He complained of a couple of underbody hits, so yes low GC is an issue but driving very sedately and patiently might help in the roads. But then the water crossings are an entirely different story, you never know how deep the murky water crossings could be so extra caution is required behind the wheel. Travel in September, less chances of major water crossings.

Recently a fellow bhpian drove his i10 Automatic to Spiti, there is a travelogue about the same. That would be an interesting read.

All the best !
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 15:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: The rarefied air of a high altitude cold desert - Spiti Valley on Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
we carried all wrappers, bottles, papers, cigarette buds with us and safely deposited everything in dustbins during our night stay at a hotel or at a restaurant. I am sure many people do the same and I hope the awareness spreads so that we keep the places of visit clean and pristine.

...We were grateful to all the people who went out of their way to help us in whatever way they could. Sometimes we just exchanged a smoke, sometimes we had food together. Sometimes we gave a lift to someone needy, sometimes we just exchanged a hello with a shepherd. We stayed in a hotel in Kaza, the lady who runs the hotel told us so many stories and gave us a parcel to be dropped at Kibber to her mom's place. We did that and she ensured we get the best hospitality once we were back in Kaza.

...I was carrying one spare spark plug which I had given to an elderly German couple
Many thanks, all this sounds like a very healthy spirit of travel; In touring as we are privileged to be able to, we gain so much more than we can easily give back... but it is right to sincerely try.

Many of us have looked back and realized that our experiences "out there" have changed our lives, perspectives, and attitudes for the better; I wonder how many we've met along the way can say the same for our having been there.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 11:15   #48
BHPian

Hey! what a lovely travelogue.
I have a very odd habit of remembering the number plates and I can recall that the the guy who rides desert storm lives/ used to live in Pune - pimple saudagar? is it true? if yes, the ride to spiti truly deserves an applause!
YoungSaint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 18:32   #49
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaint View Post
Hey! what a lovely travelogue.
I have a very odd habit of remembering the number plates and I can recall that the the guy who rides desert storm lives/ used to live in Pune - pimple saudagar? is it true? if yes, the ride to spiti truly deserves an applause!
Whoa !

I'm the one with the Desert Storm sir ji, I stay in Pimple Saudagar. There's atleast one more bhpian who stays very close by, he rides a Suzuki Hayabusa and is a regular during our weekly meets. Let's catch up if you are around.

Last edited by //M : 19th January 2016 at 18:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks