Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 16:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Lalu's first trip - Mumbai to Ajanta & Ellora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Excellent narration and beautiful photos there!

I liked the 1st advice.

The Aurangabad - Ajanta road is inherently bad, is 100 km long, and we don't expect it to get well soon.
Oh how I wish I knew this before ! But the perennial sorry state of the Ajanta to Ellora road is really shocking considering the marvelous spots these 2 are ! Surely MTDC / government needs to do something about this

Is there a way we can raise this to them ? Or sign some petition etc ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
none other than our humble onion. The greater value in the fields under the foot, not in the flowers!

For me, the drive between Shahapur and Igatpuri on NH3 over the Kasara ghat remains one of the most enjoyable drives around Mumbai. Especially in the aftermath of the monsoons.
Wow Onions ! Yeah the drive is beautiful and agreeably extremely enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Maybe one of these days.
Avoid the summers!! Go during the monsoons
Old 23rd February 2016, 17:08   #17
BHPian

Hi Varun, nice travelogue and narration. Your trip bought back memories of a similar trip I had undertaken few years back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2473532

Hope you have many more travelogues in future!
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:51   #18
BHPian

This travelogue made me travel back in time to a balmy weekday afternoon, listening to the teacher as she talked about Ajanta and Ellora, and you got it spot on with that photo that really was the cover page of our history text book! Great photos indeed Varun!

And yes, to your question on the white flowers, I believe reverse_gear has already answered you, it indeed is the quintessential ingredient of every indian [non sweet] dish, the Onion! If you happen to see spring onion shoots in the market, you would probably recognize the upper half of our more recognizable friends!
AshyRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Your trip bought back memories of a similar trip I had undertaken few years back.
Wow a superb one Narain ! Having 2 cars always is awesome. I remember driving to Hubli in two cars driven by me and dad

Lonar is calling me especially after reading your travelogue !

And a big learning is to always have your camera batteries charged !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyRocks View Post
This travelogue made me travel back in time to a balmy weekday afternoon, listening to the teacher as she talked about Ajanta and Ellora, and you got it spot on with that photo that really was the cover page of our history text book! Great photos indeed Varun!

And yes, to your question on the white flowers, I believe reverse_gear has already answered you, it indeed is the quintessential ingredient of every indian [non sweet] dish, the Onion! If you happen to see spring onion shoots in the market, you would probably recognize the upper half of our more recognizable friends!
Thanks for the encouragement and Onion it is !
Old 23rd February 2016, 23:00   #20
BHPian

Lovely pictures
I especially liked the 'Onion flower' & history textbook cover picture. I guess, Maharashtra has a lot to offer to the tourists. But it should have the support system (transport/roads, stay and food) developed for the same.
Its good that you had a pleasant experience with MTDC.
MTDC has resorts (can i say 'resorts') at very nice locations, but they somehow give impression that they are not ready to keep up with time.
Inner Voice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 23:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Lovely photos, especially the low light ones inside the caves. We had driven down recently to Aurangabad, can vouch for bad stretches of roads almost entirely from Shingnapur (went via Chakan-Ahmednagar-Aurangabad) all the way to Aurangabad. Stayed at MTDC Aurangabad, the entire city had crumbling roads (looked like a joke). Drive to Ajanta could be termed hazardous to both man and car. MSRTC Volvo day trip from (MTDC) Aurangabad highly recommended if staying there
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 11:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Voice View Post
Lovely picture
I guess, Maharashtra has a lot to offer to the tourists. But it should have the support system (transport/roads, stay and food) developed for the same.

MTDC has resorts (can i say 'resorts') at very nice locations, but they somehow give impression that they are not ready to keep up with time.
Well I have a first hand experience of the Ajanta one and have heard a lot about others as well from close sources. The feedback has been unanimously good for the cleanliness and hospitality of the place.

Roads - Totally agreed. I strongly believe that we should put this up to MTDC as a petition signed jointly by a lot of us - Mods can help coordinate this on the forum ? I volunteer for this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Lovely photos, especially the low light ones inside the caves.
Stayed at MTDC Aurangabad, the entire city had crumbling roads (looked like a joke). Drive to Ajanta could be termed hazardous to both man and car. MSRTC Volvo day trip from (MTDC) Aurangabad highly recommended if staying there
Thanks for the compliments on the pics - All were taken by Canon EOS 70D with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens at ISO levels between 800 and 1600.

Definitely rented / public transport should be the only way to ride between Ajanta and Ellora - STRICT no for your own vehicle .
Old 24th February 2016, 13:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post

Do it in the monsoons - Would be super awesome in my opinion
Unfortunately, I am in a situation, where leaves are in short supply, so climate preferences take a back seat :(
The next available long weekend in March, I guess i should be headed to this place. I am more keen on Lonar though.

Quote:
That's quite awesome ! We definitely should meet up ! How do we connect here on the forum ?
Have sent a PM to you.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 13:52   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The field of white flowers - Anyone has any idea what these are ?
Thanks to Ram Khedkar for dropping an email!

Quote:
It is called “Umbel of onion flowers”.

The flowers are of ONION and they have been grown by the farmer to make seeds out of it.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 14:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Small villages where the inhabitants looked quite dangerous - So we were even scared to stop for a chai

The drive through Malshej Ghat in the night was a harrowing experience with blind and sharp terms making me concentrate very hard. It was not an easy drive but the quality of the roads made up for that
Malshej ghat road is a drivers paradise . One of the best roads in the state. I would agree driving in night could be tricky for first timer but it is fun nonetheless. And regarding inhabitants they are more friendly than dangerous, trust me. I have travelled to some of remote interior places and never heard/faced any situation wherein the people looked dangerous.
Dodge_Viper is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
First lovely coverage.

Just a small feedback.
Can you elaborate?

I agree completely with you. I was driving in the right lane next to the shrubbery dividers on the same Mumbai-Nasik Highway and witnessed this first hand.

As I drove ahead, I could make out a cow crossing the highway on the other side and coming on to the divider in between. I crossed it just before it got up completely on the divider and witnessed on my ORVM how it descended onto my side of the highway and right in front of a speeding Maruti Ertiga behind me. The Ertiga somehow managed to stop bang in front of the animal. The cow continued to cross the highway unabated.

Drive on left side of the highway on these types of roads.
Dr.Q is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:58   #27
BHPian

So, this my first post as BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Ram Khedkar for dropping an email!
Thanks GTO for sharing this and many thanks to Ram ! It's unimaginable what nature can throw at you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Malshej ghat road is a drivers paradise . One of the best roads in the state. I would agree driving in night could be tricky for first timer but it is fun nonetheless.
Tricky - Yeah totally. It was my first time there !

For the first timers there, during night drive:
1) I would suggest drive with high beam always as you never know what's ahead.
2) Also, if possible find a good driver ahead and follow at a safe distance
3) Overtake with high degree of caution as it's not just the traffic you need to care about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
And regarding inhabitants they are more friendly than dangerous, trust me. I have travelled to some of remote interior places and never heard/faced any situation wherein the people looked dangerous.
With so many people vouching for this, our experience could be a one off I believe, or we could just have been paranoid !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Q View Post
The Ertiga somehow managed to stop bang in front of the animal. The cow continued to cross the highway unabated.

Drive on left side of the highway on these types of roads.
Thanks for sharking this Dr. Q! My God !

A double thanks to Sudev for the tip ! It's a habit that needs to be changed immediately.
varunraizada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 19:22   #28

Very well written and thanks for all the tips and advice! They are very useful. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...humbs%20up.gif

I have lived in Mumbai for most of my life and have never been to Ajanta and Ellora. I keep on hearing that it is not well maintained and is not worth a trip. Now your travelogue has really inspired me to do a drive there, most probably will do so after the 1st rains!

I have driven a couple of times on the Malshej Road a few years back and it was really a enjoyable road to drive on. Looks to be a good alternative to the Pune / Ahmednagar route.
Old 24th February 2016, 23:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhay_D View Post

I have lived in Mumbai for most of my life and have never been to Ajanta and Ellora. I keep on hearing that it is not well maintained and is not worth a trip. Now your travelogue has really inspired me to do a drive there, most probably will do so after the 1st rains!
I guess that will be the ideal time !! There will be greenery all over .. The following pic is downloaded from Google for your reference
Lalu's first trip - Mumbai to Ajanta & Ellora-ajanti-rains.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhay_D View Post
I have driven a couple of times on the Malshej Road a few years back and it was really a enjoyable road to drive on. Looks to be a good alternative to the Pune / Ahmednagar route.
Absolutely .. But do it during the day to catch the lovely scenery that I missed out on ... Keep going absolutely straight without any diversions till you reach Ahmednagar.
Old 25th February 2016, 00:31   #30

Hey varun

I am a resident of aurangabad

Just wanted to know how the trip was and how did your lalu perform

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks