Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 07:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet

Folks

I had been to Nedungunam (near Chetpet) to visit the Yoga Ramar temple on 27th May . The specialty of the temple is that Lord Rama does not have and arrows and is seen sitting in a Yoga Mudra position, something never seen before.

For the onward journey, I went via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vaniyambadi, Pallikonda, Kaniyambadi, Arani and Chetpet. For the return journey, I came via Chetpet, Polur, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur, Bargur, krishnagiri and Hosur.

More details to follow...
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 07:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

I had been to Nedungunam (near Chetpet) to visit the Yoga Ramar temple on 27th May . The specialty of the temple is that Lord Rama does not have and arrows and is seen sitting in a Yoga Mudra position, something never seen before.

For the onward journey, I went via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vaniyambadi, Pallikonda, Kaniyambadi, Arani and Chetpet. For the return journey, I came via Chetpet, Polur, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur, Bargur, krishnagiri and Hosur.

More details to follow...
So here it goes

My onward journey route map is as shown below

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-onward.gif

The temple priest at Nedungunam is employed in a government job. So he leaves for office generally by 9 30 - 9 45 AM. That being the case I had to be in the temple premises before 9 15 AM.
So I left home by 4 50 AM and decided to go via the route mentioned earlier in the post.
After paying toll at Pallikonda, I inquired from the toll booth person as to how to go to Sripuram Golden temple. He asked me to stick to the right most lane and after a km or so there will be a road to your right that i had to take.

ROAD TO SRIPURAM TEMPLE

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-sripuram-road.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-sripuram-road-1.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-sripuram-road-2.jpg

The road was very good to drive. As you turn to this road from the NH, the road is slightly rough for a few meters and then it is a very good road. I then took the Sripuram by pass road to meet the Vellore - T V Malai NH 234 and proceeded to Arani via Kaniyambadi. Throughout the roads were a treat to drive.

ROAD TO ARANI

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-arani-rd.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-arani-rd-1.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-arani-rd-2.jpg

From Arani my next destination was Chetpet and this stretch turned out to be the BLACK SHEEP. Only very few portions of the route were good enough for a smooth drive as seen in the below snap. This stretch is by no means comparable to the mother of all roads (NH66) but still when compared to other SH's of TN, the Arani-Chetpet route was way below average.
I encountered broken portions of the tarmac enroute, the top layer having come off and in some areas NO TAR. I saw WIP to widen the road.

ARANI-CHETPET ROAD

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-arani-chetpet-rd.jpg

From Chetpet I took the road to Vandavasi as Nedungunam is about 6 kms from Chetpet on this route. Finally I reached the temple premises by 9 15 AM and informed the bhattar about my arrival.

This temple is a very big temple for Lord Rama and the specialty is Lord Rama is seen sitting in a Yoga Mudra posture something unheard of. More details about the temple is shown in the below link

http://aalayamkanden.blogspot.in/201...edungunam.html
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 07:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

YOGA RAMAR AT NEDUNGUNAM

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-20160527_092535.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-20160527_092637.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-20160527_092715.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-20160527_092941.jpg

Unlike other temples where one has to come out of the sannidhi to complete pradhakshinam, in this temple within the sannidhi we have a opening where one has to bend a little while entering the opening and then complete the pradakshinam

After having a wonderful darshan of the lord, i then proceeded back to Bangalore for my return journey. This time I decided to take the route as mentioned in the earlier post.

My return journey route map is as shown below

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-return.gif

CHETPET TO POLUR

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-chetpet-polur.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-chetpet-polur-1.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-chetpet-polur-2.jpg

Nothing much to say about this route as it was a wonderful stretch to drive. Traffic was also less considering that it was a week day.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 07:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

POLUR TO CHENGAM

This was the best stretch to drive. Wide 2 lane roads and the condition was brilliant. I would simply say WHISTLE PODU to drive on this stretch

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-polur-chengam.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-polur-chengam-1.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-polur-chengam-2.jpg

I could have taken the Polur by pass while driving from Chetpet instead of entering Polur town but I somehow missed it.
CHENGAM TO SINGARAPETTAI

My office colleague cautioned me about the bad condition of the road and how happy I must feel to prove him wrong.
This stretch is very good to drive. Yes, at places while one has to take diversion on the account of road work in progress, the rest of the tarmac is simply superb.

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-chengam-singarapettai.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-chengam-singarapettai-1.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-chengam-singarapettai-2.jpg

SINGARAPETTAI TO TIRUPATTUR

Another wonderful stretch to drive. I have nothing much to say apart from posting snaps of the road.

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-singarapettai-tirupattur.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-singarapettai-tirupattur-1.jpg

TIRUPATTUR TO BARGUR

On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-bargur_to_tirupattur1.jpg
On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet-bargur_to_tirupattur_11.jpg

Very good road to drive. In my return journey I was able to maintain speeds of 80-85 kmph on a consistent basis while driving on the SH.

Likewise the road to Bargur from Tirupattur was also excellent to drive.

Once I touched the NH, I took the regular route via Krishnagiri and Hosur ORR to reach home. I paid toll only at Krishnagiri. I left Nedungunam at 10 30 AM and reached home by 3 30 PM with 1/2 an hour break for lunch.

Overall I would say this temple is a must visit one.
suresh_gs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 08:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Once I touched the NH, I took the regular route via Krishnagiri and Hosur ORR to reach home. I paid toll only at Krishnagiri. I left Nedungunam at 10 30 AM and reached home by 3 30 PM with 1/2 an hour break for lunch.
+1.

The road conditions around Sripuram-Arani-Polur have improved tremendously. One can see the new tar on these roads. I was around these locations a couple of months back and could immediately notice the changes.

Chengam-Polur and Chengam-Singarapettai is good news for sure. Adds to more options available.
Old 1st June 2016, 13:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

re: On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

This definitely warrants a separate short travelogue. So moved the associated posts to a new thread.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: On the 2-Lanes of TN: A Temple visit around Chetpet

Folks: One more update on the Singarapettai-Krishnagiri route via Mathur

My office colleague's home town is Tiruvannamalai. He said that the road from Singarapettai to Krishnagiri via Mathur is comparable to that of the Chengam-Singarapettai route , the only difference being the latter has wider roads compared to the former.
In both the cases, one has to take diversion in those places where work is going on. The rest of the tarmac is very good to drive the difference lying in the width of the roads alone.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 16:57   #8
BHPian

Thank you. Excellent find, on my list now. BTW, there are a number of temples on the bank of the now dry Cheyyar. There are temples in a village called Mandakolathur ( e.g. Pattinam Katha Amman ) that are by the lush green paddy fields.

Oh the beauty of the countryside!
Old 5th June 2016, 17:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Thank you. Excellent find, on my list now. BTW, there are a number of temples on the bank of the now dry Cheyyar. There are temples in a village called Mandakolathur ( e.g. Pattinam Katha Amman ) that are by the lush green paddy fields.

Oh the beauty of the countryside!
My original plan was to cover Narasimha temple at Polur along with Yoga Ramar at Nedungunam. When I called up the Polur temple priest, he said pooja will take place around 4 30 AM. So he asked me to stay in Polur the previous day so that I will be able to visit the hill temple at Polur the next day.
This time it did not materialize.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks