Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 07:30   #1
BHPian

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa

Introduction. Goa,India’s smallest state located in the South Western region of India is a jewel by itself, visited by large number of domestic and international tourists each year for its beaches , places of worship and architecture. On personal front I have visited Goa a couple of times in the past , being based in Mumbai it was natural to head out to Goa for a extended weekend but again with no proper planning and information I used to soak in the Goan experience of North Goa, the region North of the airport comprising of world renowned beaches like Anjuna , Vagator,Calangute,Baga,Morjim, Candolim,Miramar the list is endless. Hordes of tourists throng these beaches each year and honestly put the limit has been reached and the charm that these beaches used to infuse which made them iconic has been overwhelmed by the sheer number of people who throng them. So now what happens to those like me who generally are not much aware of which all beaches are there in Goa that still belong to that category that makes one not wish to leave Goa and go back when the holiday is ending. I had heard about pristine beaches but somehow could never get around to finding them out because lets face it, there are hundreds of beaches out there and the time is limited.

2. Soon as years rolled by, I got a chance to relocate close to Goa and hence I was able to get a much clearer picture of what it meant to be on a pristine empty beach with maybe a handful of individuals occupying the canvas that the eyes saw as one did an entire 180 deg visual check. So here are my recommendations on the laid back beaches in South Goa, they still belong to the category of legendary beaches that helped Goa to achieve iconic status that it enjoys as on date.

3. The list of beaches begins from the southern tip of Goa right at the Karnataka Border , to reach here it takes around two and half hours from the airport travelling on the Kochi Panvel Highway which extends all the way from Panvel in Maharastra to Kochi in Kerala:

(a) Pollem beach : A totally secluded beach, only visited by local folks and the occasional tourist from across the border. This is the southernmost beach of Goa. Out here it is generally fishing and lazying on the beach that are the most desirable activities. There are two avenues to stay for the night and limited food options are available. However, on the highway which is nearby around 3 kms away there is “Fishland “restaurant which is a favorite of the locals residing in the area and is always filled to capacity. This place can be visted for a day while staying at one of the other places listed down below.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-pollem-visuals-5.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-pollem-17.jpg

(b) Galgibag beach : A beach with a lagoon , this is what the visitor comes across when he wanders here , one of my personal favorites the beach is also home to egg laying turtles that are looked after by the wildlife authorities. There are a series of shacks that serve as staying options . The only activity to be done here is go for a swim in the sea or just indulge in friendly banter with your loved ones immersed in the waters of the lagoon. One can definitely stay here for an extended weekend.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-gaglibaga-11.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-gaglibaga-13.jpg

(c) Talpona Beach. The next beach in line as we move upwards, Talpona just has the sand n surf to offer, there are limited staying options though an occasional pricey option catering to the foreign nationals is available. However, there are numerous options in the back roads and lanes leading to the beach and this beach is generally favored by foreigners.It is recommended to look for staying options here if one is looking for long term staying options as the prices are economical.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-talpona-1.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-talpona-2.jpg

(d) Palolem Beach. The current Rockstar amongst the beaches of South Goa, this crescent shaped beach has got it all from the soft sand to the inviting warm waters to a curveous coastline studded with numerous shacks offering everything that one desires. There are also dolphin and island boat tours available. Definitely a must visit to all those who come to South Goa .Recommended for those who wish to stay for an extended weekend or a week and are not much bothered by the price range.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-palolem-1.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-palolem-2.jpg

(e) Agonda Beach. My personal favorite, the go to place as far as I am concerned. The wanderer is greeted to a mile-long stretch of paradise with the waters beckoning to come into. There is a small lagoon also where one can just immerse oneself and wash away the anxiety of this rush world. The shacks are also present but their presence is somehow not that obtrusive. The crowd is sparse and generally laid back. This beach is the stuff of legends and the sunset will blow away the frowns from the face and replace it with a calmness that is irreplaceable. Definitely recommended for those wishing to stay for a long duration considering the price range offered. There are options to stay away from the beach as well which are even more economical. There are options of moonlit parties that take place nearby.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-agonda-321.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-agonda-31.jpg

(f) Butterfly Beach. The beach that still refuses to be tamed and contained, accessible by boat rides, it’s a virgin beach that has no human touch, visited by those who just want to immerse in oneself and nature. There are no staying or eating options available and the jungle rises immediately as the beach ends.

(g) Cola Beach. The recluse among the beaches, this is accessible by a trail through the jungles and as one goes down the cliff, the hidden beach comes into view. This beach has its own private lagoon too which captures the imagination of all those who visit this place. Be prepared to soak in ultra-laid back Goa if one decides to visit this place. There are two premium resorts that operate out here and they arrange 4WD drive vehicles to pick and drop guests from the airport. Generally occupied by foreigners during the tourist season.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-cola-21.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-cola-71.jpg

(h) Cabo De Rama Beach. Another spectacular and not so well known beach that is perfect for that private dip into the ocean and have some quality private time. The coastline is dotted with rocks that submerge with the approaching tide and then reappear as the tide moves out , it is a spectacular piece of real estate. The location of these beaches ensure that the normal touristic hordes just do not bother to visit them thereby making them unique and appealing. There is only one place to stay that I know of (Mi Amor Resturant)and it is pretty rustic but then that is what makes the experience appealing.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-cabo-de-rama-14.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-cabo-de-rama-15.jpg

(i) Nuem Beach The little brother of Cabo Rama, this beach is a favorite of the local folk and they make it a point to spend their evenings out here.Do visit this place if one wants to soak in the local culture and ambience with some great local beer to boot and a game of football with the local guys.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-nuem-visuals-11.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-nuem-visuals-13.jpg

(j) Cavelossium Beach. The final beach in the list, this one is located more towards the center of the state of Goa , along the coastline. The back alleys house some great places to stay and shop but thankfully the beach is still warm and inviting with not heavy crowds and hawkers to peddle their stuff.

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-cavolessium-9.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-convelisium-3.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-convelisium-16.jpg

4. So that’s it , this is for all those who wish to see something different other than the usual , only one more point to note all these places need a personal form of transport(whether own or hired ) and preferably a four wheeler for it is easier to then move around however a hired two wheeler will also do .. nothing wrong in it but transport is a must.
swsumit is offline   (88) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 10:42   #2
BHPian

re: My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa

Interesting start and some really good captures there swsumit, especially pollem beach and Cavelossium Beach. A good amount of information on beaches, I will surely note these places for my next visit to GOA.

Thanks for sharing
abhayankara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 13:46   #3
BHPian

Re: My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa

Nice Compilation there...though i would have been happy if you had opened this Thread a couple of Weeks back as i just visited South Goa for 5 Days in the last week of May and came back. But i only visited Benaulim Beach as my Resort was nearby. Lovely Beach.
abhi3284 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 14:02   #4
BHPian

Amazing compilation, complemented with beautiful set of pictures . Rating it 5 star.
South Goa is on my radar since long. But our group always prefer North Goa as it is more happening place.
I will use this thread for reference while planning a South Goa trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
(f) Butterfly Beach. The beach that still refuses to be tamed and contained, accessible by boat rides, it’s a virgin beach that has no human touch, visited by those who just want to immerse in oneself and nature. There are no staying or eating options available and the jungle rises immediately as the beach ends.
This sounds interesting.
VaibhaoT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Great list! South Goa beaches are less crowded and hence cleaner as well. Been to Cabo de rama beach and that is a spectacular one.

Thanks for compiling the list so nicely
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:38   #6
BHPian

Great list of beaches swsumit!!

Another hidden gem is the Betalbatim beach. It lies between Majorda and Colva. Not many tourists go there even during the 'season'. Visited Betalbatim this January and there were hardly any people with just one shack to serve beer and eatables.
Personally, I prefer South Goa over North any day.
royalbeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:10   #7
BHPian

I have been fortunate enough to be living a stones throw away from Pollem, Talpona beaches.

Here is my contribution. This beach literally remains empty since to reach there, one needs to trek a good 30 minutes through woods

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-10082_10151577548171257_287097492_n.jpg

My pick of the Top Beaches in South Goa-533454_10151577547546257_1367074904_n.jpg
akshay380 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I have been fortunate enough to be living a stones throw away from Pollem, Talpona beaches.

Here is my contribution. This beach literally remains empty since to reach there, one needs to trek a good 30 minutes through woods

Attachment 1514645

Attachment 1514646
hii

one can reach Pollem through the village as well , in this case then the 30 min trek will not be required
Old 6th June 2016, 16:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
hii

one can reach Pollem through the village as well , in this case then the 30 min trek will not be required
This is not Pollem beach. Only few local know about this and bother going
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 18:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
This is not Pollem beach. Only few local know about this and bother going
in the second pic , i think the hill ahead is what demarcates this from pollem , correct me if i am wrong
Old 6th June 2016, 18:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
in the second pic , i think the hill ahead is what demarcates this from pollem , correct me if i am wrong
No buddy. This is about 1km before pollem beach. Between this hill and pollem beach there is forest and steep cliff.
Old 6th June 2016, 19:07   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A small contribution from my end. Not a beach, but a view of a beach. Trust me, if you are in South Goa, you cannot miss this place. We've only been here during the day and it was astonishing enough...must be something else to watch the sunset.

Google Maps Link

GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 20:13   #13
BHPian

Beautiful pics. Goa is an amazing place. Best place to recharge your battery after a whole year of stress. Wow! So many beautiful beaches which i had never heard of before. Definitely going to visit those the next time I'm in Goa.

P. S. Is the water really that blue Pollem beach or you've just saturated the pic too much? I've never come across a deep blue sea beach in goa till now!
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 20:29   #14
BHPian

Awesome swsumit! Nice write up and good information on beaches along with some great pics. I've been planning to visit Goa in my car (from Hyderabad) since long, but never successful. I may plan again this August and that will be my 1st time. I would like to visit both North & South Goa beaches and experience most of the specialities like beach party/music, some good view with serene atmosphere along with delicious cuisine. So before heading I will definitely take your advise.
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 20:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Been to Agonda last month. Its a long and peaceful beach with very few people. Very good if you want to relax.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks