Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 15:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wildlife at Nagarhole & Kabini

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
What a catch. A ring side seat to a pack of dholes on a hunt. To see a dhole pack is a tough job, nut to see them in action and get superb photographs. truly blessed.'Good job.
We had a second chance when the Dholes were training the pups for hunting. But they later gave up and were playing around. Would have been brilliant to have witnessed not one but two on the same day.
Old 8th June 2016, 15:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

That was a great trip you had. Black Panther, Tiger and Dhole hunting all in one go - that's one hell of a lottery. Wonderful pics too!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 16:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Awesome photographs! And you are indeed lucky to see a tigress and best of all - the black panther. And to see dholes in a hunt - I just cannot understand how people cannot be interested in that and want to just see a tiger!
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 17:13   #19
BHPian

Fab pics Krishna.
As mentioned earlier, do not rely entirely on the camera's auto-focus features.
Next time you go for a jungle trip and don't tell me, well, I know where you live
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 18:09   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Awesome photographs! And you are indeed lucky to see a tigress and best of all - the black panther. And to see dholes in a hunt - I just cannot understand how people cannot be interested in that and want to just see a tiger!
Yeah man, I was perplexed with such kind of people. When we spotted the tiger, there were two guys (believe to be Malayalis, presuming from the car registration numbers) who where hanging out like monkeys from the window attempting to take selfie with the tiger in the background.

It was hardly 10-12 ft and one swipe from the tiger is all it takes for a one way ticket to hell. Reported these guys to the department, not sure what action was taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Fab pics Krishna.
As mentioned earlier, do not rely entirely on the camera's auto-focus features.
Next time you go for a jungle trip and don't tell me, well, I know where you live
I should have used the manual focus. I did that while shooting the tiger though.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 18:34   #21
BHPian

That must have been a great trip. The elusive black panther and a tiger on the same trip.
I really loved the photography, clear and crisp.
Sunrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 23:09   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb pics! and some nice sightings there. I have done a safari in bandipur some 4 years back and came back with Nil sighting, not even a elephant.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 08:40   #23
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pictures and what an experience to spot the big cat, panther and a Dhole hunt, thanks for sharing Rating well deserved 5!

Where is Damankatte ? In the Nagarahole sanctuary ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 08:51   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Lucky lucky lucky.
A normal safari and you get so many things. So many times a special safari will give you nothing.
Thanks for sharing nkrishnap. That was an environment day well spent.

That roaring Tigress photo is amazing. I see you have uploaded a cropped photo as well. what was the lens used?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 09:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Lovely pictures and what an experience to spot the big cat, panther and a Dhole hunt, thanks for sharing Rating well deserved 5!

Where is Damankatte ? In the Nagarahole sanctuary ?
Thank you.

Yes, Nagarahole national park (Rajiv Gandhi National Park) is quite big and two routes cut through it

1. Antarasante side (Damankatte gate) - https://goo.gl/maps/286xkxYXDe92 . This route goes through Balle Check post, Bavali and Kattikulam. Here its the canter bus safari. A second bus is joining this place soon. The ticket pressure will ease soon and each bus would easily do a 2 - 2.5 hour safari for 300 bucks (its a steal at this price). Also do note, the Government vehicles have permission to go to both A and B zones, the JLR doesn't.

2. Veeranahosahalli side (Moorkal side) - https://goo.gl/maps/tEaWj9bQXQt - This route goes through Moorkal and to Kutta. Nagarahole (Veeranahosahalli side) has bus and gypsy too. Bus is 300 for the first round and if you want to do a second round it will be only 100 bucks additional. Gypsy costs 3000 bucks and can hold 5 people. JLR too does safaris here and each seat would cost 1200 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Lucky lucky lucky.
A normal safari and you get so many things. So many times a special safari will give you nothing.
Thanks for sharing nkrishnap. That was an environment day well spent.

That roaring Tigress photo is amazing. I see you have uploaded a cropped photo as well. what was the lens used?
Thank you.

Its all about the animal movements and timing Hemanth. Sunday at Bandipur (Westly circle range) there were 3 cubs moving, we could track it with the very fresh pug marks but could not see it in the open. We knew it was very very close, the sun beating down did not help. The cubs would have settled down inside Lantana bushes to escape the heat.

Lens used for majority of the pics is Canon EOS 100-400 MM IS2 Lens. There was no way, the tiger would hold the pose like that for me to zoom in and take. Hence the cropped picture.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:18   #26
BHPian

Excellent pictures Krishna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Thank you.

Yes, Nagarahole national park (Rajiv Gandhi National Park) is quite big and two routes cut through it

2. Veeranahosahalli side (Moorkal side) - https://goo.gl/maps/tEaWj9bQXQt - This route goes through Moorkal and to Kutta. Nagarahole (Veeranahosahalli side) has bus and gypsy too. Bus is 300 for the first round and if you want to do a second round it will be only 100 bucks additional. Gypsy costs 3000 bucks and can hold 5 people. JLR too does safaris here and each seat would cost 1200 bucks.
What are the bus and gypsy timings at this gate? Can we get the tickets for afternoon safari if we start early from Mysore?
We had been to Antharasanthe gate few month back but the Bus was under repair.
Old 9th June 2016, 10:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Excellent pictures Krishna.

What are the bus and gypsy timings at this gate? Can we get the tickets for afternoon safari if we start early from Mysore?
We had been to Antharasanthe gate few month back but the Bus was under repair.
For the Veeranahosahalli/Nallikere Forest side safari the below are the timings

JLR ones start from Veeranahosahalli itself. 2.45 pm be there at the gate. The forest office ones which is near the kutta side starts at 3 pm.

Note: This side is all about the crowd, if there is no crowd, the safari wont happen unless you buy a minimum of 10 tickets.
Old 9th June 2016, 13:53   #28
BHPian

Hey can you please tell me where did you spot the tigress and the black panther, if its Kabini? Then which sighting point (if it has a name). Also can you give me more details on the safari like did you book it online or is it stand in a queue sort of a thing.

Thanks
Sreeji

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Tigress

Black Panther - this one was quite far from the jeep trail. Nevertheless spotted the elusive one.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2016 at 09:37. Reason: Please quote only the part required. Long posts, repeat pics etc. delay page load for people on small form factors.
Old 9th June 2016, 15:11   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
hey can you please tell me the where did you spot the tigress and the black panther, if its Kabini? then which sighting point (if it has a name) also can you give me more details on the safari like did you book it online or is it stand in a queue sort of a thing.

Thanks
Sreeji
I can certainly provide you details of the safari timings, but kindly excuse me for not sharing the data as to exact spotting places for obvious reasons. The spotting were in Kabini.

Safari you cannot book online.

Quoting my earlier update on the place and timings for safari.

Quote:
1. Antarasante side (Damankatte gate) - https://goo.gl/maps/286xkxYXDe92 . This route goes through Balle Check post, Bavali and Kattikulam. Here its the canter bus safari. A second bus is joining this place soon. The ticket pressure will ease soon and each bus would easily do a 2 - 2.5 hour safari for 300 bucks (its a steal at this price). Also do note, the Government vehicles have permission to go to both A and B zones, the JLR doesn't. Timings - Morning Safari - 6 am and 7.30 am and Afternoon Safari - 3 pm and 4.30 pm

Morning Safari - Tickets will be issued the previous evening from 4 pm
Afternoon Safari - Tickets will be issued the same day morning from 10 am.

2. Veeranahosahalli side (Moorkal side) - https://goo.gl/maps/tEaWj9bQXQt - This route goes through Moorkal and to Kutta. Nagarahole (Veeranahosahalli side) has bus and gypsy too. Bus is 300 for the first round and if you want to do a second round it will be only 100 bucks additional. Gypsy costs 3000 bucks and can hold 5 people. JLR too does safaris here and each seat would cost 1200 bucks. Morning safari starts from 6.30 am and ends at 9 am. Afternoon Safari starts at 3.30 and ends at 5.30 pm
Old 10th June 2016, 20:24   #30

Wonderful photos. You should be extremely lucky to get the dhole hunt and black panther along with the other sightings.
smrsraja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks