Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2016, 22:58   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300

Sometimes its important to stand still in order to move ahead. Its an oxymoron of sorts but I have realised that some of life's best experiences often come crashing into your mundane life. Remember that diesel loco in Inception which comes crashing onto the road? Well in my case it was not a diesel loco but a simple tank

Quote:
The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed
- Robert M Pirsig, Zen & The art of Motorcycle maintenance
Somewhere between Kushalnagar & Konnanur
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m1.jpg

Quote:
(What makes his world so hard to see clearly is not its strangeness but its usualness).Familiarity can blind you too
I decided to break away from the familiar & strenuous Bangalore – Mysore drive and explore some new tarmac. What started as a drive to Madikeri became a monsoon drive through some serene & beautiful stretches of rural karnataka.

Quote:
sometimes its a little better to travel than to arrive

SH121 – C.R Patna – Holenarsipura

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m2.jpg

What began as a detour turned into a mesmerising symphony. Blue skies that reminded me that I was just an earth bound misfit. Grouchy Grey turned to green as drops of rain caressed tender shoots to life. I stood beside sentinels of the wind while they churned through time – slowly taking your minutes and churning them into small pockets of smiles which you can use when you need.

SH121 – C.R Patna – Holenarsipura
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m4.jpg

A lost second on the highway of time
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m3.jpg

Sentinels of the wind
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m5.jpg

Last edited by procrj : 27th June 2016 at 07:17.
procrj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 23:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300

Quote:
We want to make good time, but for us now this is measured with the emphasis on "good" rather than on "time"....
The mile markers slip by and I was busy having a good time. The smell of rain on wet earth, the contrast of red gulmohar leaves against dark green canopy, waters singing shine on you carzy diamond and the oneness of man & a well oiled machine.

Dead wood & new life marching along

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m8.jpg

Gulmohar trees – Arkalgud - Ramanathapura

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m7.jpg

Roll baby Roll – Holenarsipura - Arkalgud

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m6.jpg

Man, Machine & a tryst with Monsoons - SH121

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m9.jpg

Quote:
There's this primary America of freeways and jet flights and TV and movie spectaculars, and people caught up in this primary America seem to go through huge portions of their lives without much consciousness of what immediately surrounds them. The media have convinced them that what's right around them is unimportant. And that's why they're lonely
Loneliness is not always a bad thing. Sometimes it makes you stop & think – should I focus on the stretch of tarmac stretching out in front of me or should I slow down and look at the green fields that make up this blur of green.

Beautiful SH between Konnanur – Kushalnagar

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m10.jpg

Slowing down and looking at the blur of green

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m11.jpg

Quote:
To all appearances he was just drifting. In actuality he was just drifting
While drifting along, a wrong turn can take you the right place that makes you sit up and take notice. Like threads in a fabric, your good times begin to intertwine together and create a delicately balanced work of art. You try to hold on to this fabric of experience and end up with a smudged canvas.

A small lake near Konnanur

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m12.jpg

Cloudy with a chance of rain - Raja seat, Madikeri

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m13.jpg

Now you see me, Now you dont

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m14.jpg

Smudged canvas – All I saw in Madikeri

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m15.jpg
procrj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 23:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300

Quote:
We keep passing unseen through little moments of other people’s lives.
Other people’s life was not very far at Club Mahindra Madikeri. While most resorts try and give you as much privacy as possible, Club Mahindra Madikeri seems to be inspired by college hostels and tries to ensure that you breathe in your neighbors cigarette smoke and eavesdrop on their conversations.

Pitter patter of rain was the only constant in this land adrift in clouds. I spent my days & nights listening to rain slide from one leaf to another before it silently drops down to the ground.

Club Mahindra Madikeri – Where time share means you share every second of your time there

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m16.jpg
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m17.jpg

Quote:
You look at where you’re going and where you are and it never makes sense, but then you look back at where you’ve been and a pattern seems to emerge
Never before have I been eager to commence the journey back to civilization. I knew what awaits and the small joys of remembering & reliving good times only made the journey so much more memorable when compared to the destination.

Where I am – Kushalnagar – Suntikoppa

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m18.jpg

Where I was – Konnanur – Kushalnagar

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m19.jpg

Where I am going – SH121

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m20.jpg

Quote:
We take a handful of sand from the endless landscape of awareness around us and call that handful of sand the world.
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m21.jpg

And with this first handful of sand, I begin to reshape my world. A whisper of the wind, a dash of lightning, a swirl of mist and a murmur of a stream. Sometimes its hard to hear the music when the mind is wandering – so get off the road and let the blur take shape. Take a left or the wrong right and let the sands of time slip by.

Last edited by procrj : 26th June 2016 at 23:50.
procrj is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 23:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Big shoutout to NPV & Androdev for sharing route updates and details of this alternate to Kushalnagar & Madikeri.

Route: Bangalore - Channrayapatna - SH121 - Holenarsipura - Arkalgud - Ramanathapura - Konnanur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri
Gmaps - https://goo.gl/maps/Vt3PH6R9vMG2

Road condition:
Bangalore - C.R Patna: 4 Lane highway
C.R Patna - Holenarsipura via SH121: beautiful roads, sparse traffic and a lovely drive especially with a fine mist of rain
Holenarsipura - Arkalgud: Good 2 lane road with a few patches here and there. All speed breakers are marked and can easily maintain 70-80 kmph on this stretch. Watchout for overloaded two wheelers.
Arkalgud - Ramnathpura: patchy roads with a few potholes closer to arkalgud. Some stretches are very narrow and if you get stuck behind a KSRTC bus, then you need to be patient. On the whole this 20 km stretch is easily doable in any car.
Ramnathpura - Konnanur: good roads with 1 km crater filled stretch in Konnanur town
Konnanur - Kushalnagar: is beautiful winding roads but has well marked speed breakers at every large village.
Kushalnagar - Madikeri: beautiful winding roads which made me wish for a low slung hatch

120 odd kms from C.R Patna to Madikeri can be easily covered in 2 hours & 30-45 minutes and the rest of the road to Bangalore is 4 lane, which makes this a great option when compared to Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri route. Even on a Sunday afternoon, traffic is sparse and the drive is very pleasant.

What next?
1. Exploring somwarpet, shanivarasanthe & Mallali falls. Maybe even drive up bisle ghat - Inspiration
a. Fauji's old thread Anyone here who has recently driven https://goo.gl/maps/rafwrtYXRa92
b. addyhemmige's thread

2.5 acres and kadamane

3. Agumbe, Tirtahalli & Jog - has been on my to do list for a long long time

Last edited by procrj : 27th June 2016 at 07:53.
procrj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 07:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 09:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300

Beautiful thread. I think many are coming to terms with fact that journey is the destination. So long as folks have all the time in the world to soak it in while on the move for a holiday, you will end up getting to see such treats!

Nice!
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 09:30   #7
BHPian

Lovely report there!

Beautiful road, compensating scenery add to that monsoon showers is all one would wish when you travel to footholds of rural Karnataka especially western ghats. Next time when you venture out to Madikeri try going via Arkalgud - Shanivarsante - Somwarpete - Madikeri. Minimum traffic, twisty roads, lush greenery and I bet you wont take other routes once you try this route.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 09:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The right time to be there at the right place and the photologue just talks about it - Monsoon Glory.

The best part of this drive is the route itself. Not a regular one for Bangaloreans, it ensures peaceful drive to destination with a lot of scenic sections till you reach.

Like DragonHawk says, the Arkalgud - Shanivarsante - Somwarpete - Madikeri is splendid. Have taken this couple of times during monsoons and once to reach Mallalli falls.

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-10440729_10152328775829998_2242790693617636922_n.jpg

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-10488155_10152328775249998_7177758431948784333_n.jpg

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-10468377_10152328553509998_5578840113862641518_n.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 11:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Beautiful thread. I think many are coming to terms with fact that journey is the destination
Thanks amp. I think only a very small section of travelers enjoy the journey. Most of my friends are ecstatic when they see 4/6 lane highways and hate driving on 2 lane sections or explore unknown roads. I just think that their loss is my gain less traffic & hence more time for me to soak in the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Arkalgud - Shanivarsante - Somwarpete - Madikeri. Minimum traffic, twisty roads, lush greenery and I bet you wont take other routes once you try this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Arkalgud - Shanivarsante - Somwarpete - Madikeri is splendid
Will be driving Arkalgud - Shanivarsante - Somwarpete - Mallali falls mid july

Quote:
Have taken this couple of times during monsoons and once to reach Mallalli falls.
Parag - any idea of the road condition from somwarpete to mallali falls? Was also thinking about driving Shanivarasanthe - Kodlipete - Bykaravalli - Sakleshpur on the return leg. Any idea how the roads are?
Old 27th June 2016, 11:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Parag - any idea of the road condition from somwarpete to mallali falls?
Was good when we drove but remember that the Turn off for the falls is a rough road. You will need to drive a distance and park and then walk.

If the weather has been relatively drive, you can drive beyond this point.

Quote:
Was also thinking about driving Shanivarasanthe - Kodlipete - Bykaravalli - Sakleshpur on the return leg. Any idea how the roads are?
I know that Somwarpet - Shahivarsanthe - Magilu - Ballupet - Bage is good except a small stretch near Magilu. Not sure about the condition of Kodlipete road though.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 15:13   #11
BHPian

Yet another travelogue and its getting very interesting with every excursion. Thanks for sharing.. Nice usage of Robert Pirsig’s quotes which was a bit different and aptly used..
STraiTDriVE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 20:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Part 2: Wanderlust & SH121

The drive on SH121 just would not go away from my mind and I have spent a lot of time over the last week just sitting back, rewinding the memory of the drive and just drifting away on those beautiful roads over and over again.

A friend of mine had recently purchased an i20 elite and was itching to go on a drive. Thanks to the mid week holiday, we decided to start early and go somewhere. We were discussing options in the 200 km range for a day drive and our conversation kept drifting back to SH121 We zeroed in on Gorur dam yesterday evening and decided to start by 6.30 am.

While randomly zooming in & out of gmaps on SH121, I see this and time stops. A quick google search and I realize that this should be our first stop.
Name:  M0.PNG
Views: 3875
Size:  40.5 KB

Manage to leave on time and after a quick breakfast stop at swathi delicacy, we cross Channrayanapatna, take the right towards Agrahara and glide onto this beautiful road!

Another red car with the sentinels
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-sh1.jpg

Instead of taking the left onto SH102 towards Holenarsipura, you take the right on SH102, which is also a beautiful stretch of tarmac with windmills all over the place.

Route map: https://goo.gl/maps/HZzGGmKafwq

Country roads
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-sh2.jpg

far away across the fields - the turning of the sentinels
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-sh3.jpg

The uphill stretch to the temple is new tarmac and the views on the way to the top combined with the weather made my day.

Even the road shoulder has a green carpet
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-sh4.jpg

Not gonna say a lot more about the temple and its surroundings - will let the pics do the talking.

Step up
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m1.jpg
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m13.jpg

All around town
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m2.jpg
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m3.jpg
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m7.jpg
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m11.jpg

Reluctant farewell
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m4.jpg
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m5.jpg

If you are in search of a place where you can put your feet up & and just relax, this should be at the top of your list if you are anywhere near Hassan.

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m12.jpg

to be continued.
procrj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 21:33   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Part 2: Wanderlust & SH121 - Contd

After spending close to an hour near the temple, we drive down and get onto SH57 to get to Holenarsipura. On the road I see this Big sign board for Stay Simple Riverdale resort and I zoom in & see Sri Ramadevara Katte pop up on the screen.

Name:  r0.PNG
Views: 3773
Size:  35.8 KB

I check out the images on google and this is what I see

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-r00.png
Pic credits - google

I ask my friend to take a U turn and head back towards the stay simple sign board. A quick check with the locals and we head down the road with hope in our hearts.

katte road with a lot of kingfishers flying around
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-sh5.jpg

Railway line - connecting lives
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-r4.jpg
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-m6.jpg

At a fork in the road you see a small gate, which needs to be opened by the security for you to reach the beautiful parking space, which in itself in a great spot for a photo shoot.

Smile please
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-r3.jpg

1870 - That's a long time ago
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-r2.jpg

The water was just upto the brim and waiting to spill over. I start to walk onto the katte and the security guards ask me get back as they are not sure when water might be released from gorur dam. A few more days later and this place will be a sight to see.

katte - must visit after a month
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-r1.jpg

After the disappointment at the katte, we head back on SH57 and head towards Holenarsipura - Arkalgud - Gorur. We reach Gorur dam and see that none of the gates are open (knew this would be the state as I had seen a few pics posted on FB yesterday) and decided not to walk up to the dam. Road from Arkalgud to Gorur has quiet a few potholes and broken stretches but nothing alarming as the i20 handled these with aplomb.

Instead we decided to drive to Shettihalli church and check out water level in the catchment. Gorur - Shettihalli is again a mix of good and broken roads and there was a small traffic jam near Shettihalli turnoff as a crane was clearing a few tree trunks that were blocking the road.

Gorur - Hassan
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-sh6.jpg

Like the Red keep, I will also be gone soon
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-c1.jpg

After a quick drive over the bridge, we decide to head back to Hassan and grab some lunch. Post lunch plans were still under discussion but after a heavy lunch at A2B Udayapura, we decide to call it a day and head back home.

A beautiful midweek break comes to an end. Time to plan the next getaway
Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-c4.jpg

Last edited by procrj : 6th July 2016 at 21:49.
procrj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 17:51   #14
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Instead of taking the left onto SH102 towards Holenarsipura, you take the right on SH102, which is also a beautiful stretch of tarmac with windmills all over the place.

Route map: https://goo.gl/maps/HZzGGmKafwq
The places look awesome, thanks for sharing the lovely pictures
A question on the route you took:
Any specific reason why you did not continue on SH121 as shown with Red Arrows in the attached image ? Instead you continued straight off the SH121 and then took a right turn on SH102. You could have also reached the same place if you'd stayed on SH121, hence the question.

Red Dwarf's monsoon diary - Exploring new roads of rural Karnataka in a TUV300-sh121.png
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 18:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Lovely photologue with really crisp pics ! Most of the time with travels of this sort, the journey is more enjoyable than getting to the destination, thanks for sharing !
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks