Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 22:35   #1
BHPian

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days

They say as you reach the age of 35 you stop living an adventurous life. Time to change the perception.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-ladakh.jpg

Do you feel that the title of this thread is familiar? yes it is.

Chasing the lama is a never ending story. Here is my other thread of chasing the lama in Tata Safari Storme in 2014.

I decided to venture on same path again however with some more adventure added.

Presenting my Solo Ladakh Ride on KTM Duke 390 aka Stallion.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-khardungla_ktm_duke390_3.jpg

Five Passes:

Zozi La, Pensi La, Khardung La, Tang La, Rohtang Pass

Here is treat for your eye before I start the travelogue

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-valley_penzi-la.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-valley.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-lehkargil-road.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-lehkargil-road-namik-la.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-lehkargil-road-1.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-lamayuru_ktm_duke390.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-khardungla_ktm_duke390_2.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-khardungla_ktm_duke390.jpg

All the photos from here onwards are from Hanle en-route.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river-7.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river-6.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river-5.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river-4.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river-3.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river-2.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river-1.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-obs-1.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-monestry.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-7.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-5.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-4.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-3.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-1.jpg

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 22:43. Reason: Spacing
Thar4x4 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 23:16   #2
BHPian

re: Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days

Background

My last ride to Ladakh in Safari Storme left me with lots of memories and confidence about my ability to perform adventurous rides.

Initial plan for this year was to visit the place again with family in Safari however changed just 2 month before the actual planned date because of insufficient leaves.

I was on casual breakfast ride to Mahabaleshwar with friend where we had a talk on why not Ladakh on motorcycle which was our long awaited dream. This casual discussion resulted in serious topic and we attempted almost 600 km on that day to test our stamina. Unfortunately my friend had faced severe back pain and he was not confident on executing such big ride, addition to that he got workload which left with no question of long leaves.

I was always accompanied by my friend for all my rides, I have never attempted any solo ride till date. I was not very confident this time, but I decided to take a chance and try to do something different which will be the greatest achievement for lifetime.

Purpose of this ride.

My four year old son is bike maniac and his favourite movie is "Himalayan Hero", a father-son duo went on Himalaya ride on Hero Impulse. He watches this movie every time with full of interest and asks lots of question about road, bike etc. So I thought of creating my own movie/example for my son which he will watch proudly and he may follow the similar path sometime.

The first obstacle was to convince my wife and son, I was sure that my son will be alright if I tell him that I am going to Himalayas however wife will not allow such madness at all. It almost took me a month to prepare their minds not only for my motorcycle ride but also for the fact that I am going to ride all the way solo.

Finally I got green single with lots of pressure on my mind and I started the preparation in full swing. I still remember the D day, I was checking up the luggage if all the things are packed, my wife said can you please take Safari instead. I was like however I realized her worry and promised her that I will not take any risk and whenever I feel tired or exhausted I will drop in to hotel immediately.

So here I would to dedicate this trip to my lovely wife Amruta and energetic son Malhar.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 22:46.
Thar4x4 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 00:17   #3
BHPian

Preparation

Before I start on this I would like to thank unk9ja aka Uday for helping me in preparing the bike and his descriptive thread here which was a motivation for me to attempt this ride.

Tyres

KTM Duke 390 is having the Metzilers tyre which is very soft compound, I was attempting Zanskar Valley and Hanle were both the places have worst road which test each and every part of bike. After lots of posts and discussion on our forum finally I went with off road tyres.

Old post from KTM Duke 390 review thread.

Front : Michelin Sirac 100/90/17 = 1900

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-tyre.jpg

Rear : CEAT Vertigo Rage 130/80/17 = 3250

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-tyre-rear.jpg

As the front tyre have increased the profile, front mudguard modification done as per the guidance by Uday.

Saddle Bags

After lots of research and owners reviews I purchased Rynox Nomad Saddle bags. The main worry was of petrol cans for reserve stock as Duke have only 10 L tank which provides range of at most 230 km. It was decided to carry two 5 L cans in each saddle bags, mock ride has given confidence of enough space for other luggage.

This bags are made up of hard material which keeps them in shape, the bags are 100 % water proof without rain cover. I have tested it in Himachal rain for around 5 hours of continuous pour.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-rynox-nomad-saddle-bags.jpg

Addition to that I added Dirtsack tank bag for camera and gadgets and a Wrangler casual bag for extra clothes.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-rynox-nomad-saddle-bags-2.jpg

Ridding Gears

Aspida riding jacket - I am using this jacket for 2 years now, this comes with thermal / rain liner. This jacket is not water proof at all so I carried Duck bag raincoat which helped me in Ladakh snow fall as well as Himachal rain, total water proof solution.

Rynox Advento riding pant- I was using Cramster knee pad so far, purchased Rynox Adventoo after reading lots of reviews and it paid off totally in this trip. I hardly used single jeans as I was wearing cycling short inside this pant for whole trip. This pant comes with thermal and rain liner separate which makes it 100% water proof. Addition to that it has lots of pockets and 2 air vents on knee which helped a lot in Rajasthan heat.

Riding shoes- I used JCB Excavator shoes for this ride which is humbly serving me from last couple of months in all season. This comes with steel toe and basic level protection.

Helmet- I used LS 2 Cartoon helmet for this ride which is also serving me for last couple of years, just purchased visor for it and kept the old in spare.

Please refer the picture form first post for these gears.

Bike Spares

Purchased following items for bike:
1. Clutch cable and lever
2. Accelerator cable
3. Front brake lever
4. Gear and rear brake paddle
5. Fuses
6. Motual Chain cleaner and Lubs
7. Extra nuts and bolts
8. Tubeless tyre Puncture kit

Bike Charger

Purchased A-Z 12 V Socket and USB Charger from Amazon for some 1200 rs and fitted at ASC. This device helped me a lot for mobile charging and GoPro battery charging on the go. Additionally I had a rear tyre puncture at Drass where puncture shop was around 4 km away, so I used the socket with type infiltrator.

ResQTech micro tyre inflator

Very useful purchase I will say, you can find it here

Visor for Duke 390

Purchased Yamaha Fazer visor for 350 Rs form local shop and fitted at KTM service centre for 100 rs. It helps to avoid the wind blast on chest, also it keep insects out on high speed.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-visor.jpg

GoPro Hero 4 Camera
This is the most expensive purchase of this trip. In my last trip I had used SJ Cam loaned from a friend hence was thinking to purchase SJ 4000; however I liked GoPro reliability. Purchased 3 way stick, jaw mount, dual battery charger and 2 extra battery with 64 GB data card. Total damage of 50 K.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-gopro-mounts.jpg

KTM Duke luggage carrier
This was last minute addition, I was leaving on 4th June hence went on one test ride on 28th May weekend and realized that one more bag was needed. Question was how to tie it properly for such long ride. I was following one company for long who have made a very nice carrier for KTM Duke. This person owns the KTM showroom and service centre in Pune. So contacted him; bad luck he was out of country still he assured to fit one on my bike before the ride. And finally I got the carrier fitted on bike on Friday 3rd June at 7 PM at his ASC. This carrier helped me lot in trip, I tied everything to this and it remained at its position for thousands of kms with three digit speed.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-carrier.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-carrier-1.jpg

Two 5 L chemical cans

I heard a lot that KTM Duke has only 10 L tank capacity. This is the biggest disadvantage; I will differ here because I never felt as it. On hi-way bike provided me 230-250 range which is sufficient for touring as you always take some food or hydration break after these much kms. KTM console is well advanced and informative. The biggest advantage of this bike is it sets the EFI as per the altitude, I started getting 30+ millege after Zozi la 40 + around Leh. At one point when I was climbing Khardung La the meter displayed 48 Km/L. I know it was for those 40 km but still its better than wasting the fuel without power with black smoke like other bike. While coming back from Leh to Manali I topped up tank in Leh and when I checked fuel in Sarchu it was still not on reserve, Sarchu is 250 + km so definitely Duke 390 return 300+ range in mountains. I may be wrong here but this is my observation

Here is proof
Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-millege.jpg

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 22:52. Reason: Grammar corrections.
Thar4x4 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 22:22   #4
BHPian

Ride Plan

The ride plan will not be complete without appreciating a help from HV Kumar and CHD team. The trip was solo however these guys were literally travelling with me as the tag line of HVK says "When you travel, we travel with you".

HVK used to ping me for every 2/3 hours about location, on second day while having some snacks I forgot to send him location however send my location to other shared whats app group, with in seconds I received bombarding from Kumar sir . He cares a lot for everybody from forum travelling on road. Respect to Kumar sir for this.

I planned to start on 4th June as it was Saturday, got permission to work from home on Friday Thanks to my manager who understand my passion about bikes and rides. This gave me enough time for last minute preparation as well as sleep.

The original plan was for 22 days however have changed it a bit because of worst roads in Zaskar valley hence saved couple of days, addition to that KTM Duke 390 performed amazingly and I saved a day while climbing up as well as while coming down. This resulted in reaching home early to help in preparation of my son's first school day.

Here is the plan I executed on this ride.

Name:  Plan.PNG
Views: 18342
Size:  31.0 KB

All the hotels were booked by HVK CHD team, the route was shared in advanced with me in well managed excel file which I used daily in tank bag.

Every day I used to set the google map whenever in wifi zone, cross checked with HVK map for major towns and turns and each day used to end with discussion with Kumar sir on what for tomorrow.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 22:54. Reason: Text corrections
Thar4x4 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 22:51   #5
BHPian

Day 1

Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Manmad - Malegaon - Indor - Ratlam - Mandsaur - Chittorgarh - Bilwara. = 950 km

Here is the Google map link

Started from Pune (home) on sharp 4.30 AM with a good bye to wife. Leaving family for so many days is very difficult task and there was bit hesitation in mind when I left home and I saw the first scene which made me upset for some hours. Just after a 2 km from home I saw police on road, they were directing vehicles to take other lane, while crossing the spot I saw that a body of a man lying on road in blood, a speeding vehicle would have knocked him down while crossing road in dark. The body was lying there literally like dog for some time till police reach the spot and block the road. This patch of the road is worst and it’s my every day commute road where I have seen people blindly coming on road from the trees on divider. Such a bad start of trip, but somehow gathered a courage to go ahead as I may have to see more event like this in 6000+ km journey I was on. My friend Prashant made it to my home and helped me to pack the bags on bike and rode with me till Nagar road. It was dark but cool weather hence completed first 200 km with no sweat. Stopped for a quick tea and biscuit after Shirdi. The road till Shirdi + 90 km is single lane and lots of uneven surfaces with huge truck traffic which was difficult to overtake. Once I crossed Manmad the four lane road started and then I forgot where I stopped for next break. KTM Duke is just an amazing long distance tourer bike, it was giving good 230+ km range on each tank full. The planned first day halt was Ratlam however I crossed Ratlam before lunch break. Quickly updated CHD team while having food and we decided to try for Chittorgarh.

I crossed Chittorgarh around 5.30 PM and then started feeling tired not because of riding for long but because of Rajasthan heat and cross wind. My clock was showing 48 Deg on that day, apart from lots of hydration break I did't faced any other issue. At Chittorgard I asked HVK about next stop; where I can reach till 7 PM and started ride towards Bilwara.

I ended my day at Bilwara with hotel having secure parking for my bike and hot water and bed for me which was my primary communicated need to HVK CHD.

No photo or video as every gadget apart from mobile was well packed in tank bag which opened only after Jammu.

Here I would like the share the self-realization had on this day, I was out to enjoy the bike ride solo however being this my first solo ride for long distance most of the part of mind was covered with worry and very little part with joy. The worry part was literally troubling me, what if I meet with accident here? How my family will manage this? Will I be able to see my wife and my kid again?

Such questions are really painful and I wasted my whole first day with this state of mind. I was focused on road with 100% but you can't stop your subconscious mind. While resting in hotel I shared this with my wife and she blamed me first for planning such stupid thing but then gave confidence to move ahead and enjoy the trip at most.

The only photo I just found in my mobile from Day 1, clicked somewhere at Rajasthan. Because this is the only tree I found to take rest after long kms.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-rj.jpg

Day 2

Bilwara - Jaipur - Rewari - Rohtak - Panipat - Karnal - Ludhiana - Jalandhar - Pathankot - Jammu = 1074 km

Google map link

Started at sharp 5 AM from Bilwara hotel, crossed Kishangarh before sunrise and entered Jaipur within no time. After yesterday's horrible mind game I decided to enjoy the trip. I enjoyed the good food and took sufficient breaks after some kms.

Initial plan was to stop at Pathankot however I wanted to have a check on Duke at Jammu before I enter the valley. So communicated to HVK that I am going to push today till Jammu. After Jalandar the weather started changing from hot and bright to cold and dark. When I was around Pathankot it started raining heavily. I was prepared with Saddle bag rain cover and a rain cot for me however visibility went for toss and the average speed dropped from 80 to 20/30. I still kept on progressing and finally rain god stopped pouring on me badly after Lakahnpur. However till the time I had lost much light and it was almost 8.45. Finally I entered the Jammu and started searching the hotel. It was very much crowded and no one was ready to guide me to my address. My hotel was located near bus stop so finally one guy who was going to droop someone asked me to follow him. I reached the hotel around 10.15 PM after lots of call with hotel person and Kumar sir.

Parked the bike securely, had a good bath and dinner in room and called it a day.

Day 3

Jammu - Srinagar = 258 km

Day 3 started bit late as I was visiting KTM ASC for bike check up which opens around 10 AM so took rest for some more time as I was riding for almost 15+ hours from last two days. . I had a word with KTM ASC and he was ready to do quick servicing.

Reached the ASC around 9.45 AM and found that they are just opening and no one was there from service floor. Saw two Bangalore riders also waiting their one with Duke 390 and other with Bullet. After discussion I learned that we both work for same company but from different locations. His Duke 390 was showing some stalling issue. Spent around 2 hours their, did oil change and chain cleaning and lubrication. It was around 12 noon, quick chat with Kumar sir and he said you are late today and can't reach Srinagar. I started immediately from there with disappointment that I wasted more than required hours at ASC. With hope to reach Srinagar today itself I crossed Udhampur and started climbing the ghats and worst roads of journey.

I did not like to stay around or cross Srinagar, people here literally hate other state passing vehicles. Cab drivers and even personal vehicles are very arrogant and they just push you out of the road without any reason. This was my second time here and I got similar experience again so reaching Srinagar today and leaving early to cross the mighty Zozi la was must or me.

Encountered lots of riders groups on this road, most of them have transported their bikes to Jammu and have started from there. The Jammu Srinagar road is narrow and have lots of pot holes and dirt. The road work truck adds to that and throw dust, mud whatever they found to you.

I was covering the distance with good pace and the only bad incident of the whole trip happened. I was moving behind a Tavera taxi and we were climbing from outer side of valley, oncoming vehicle are on inner lane. The speed was not more than 40/50 and suddenly one moron private car driver from oncoming side decided to overtake. The taxi in front of me braked hard and then I did panic breaking to save my front alloy wheel. I did not touched at all to taxi in front however I lost my balance as it was turn and slow, I was about fell in front of oncoming taxi however I managed to leave pretty bike and jumped on other side. Bike dropped badly and I was unable to lift it as it fell on slop. Taxi driver in front came out and helped me to lift the bike, enquired about my condition and left from the scene when I confirmed that I am good. Stopped there for 5 min, had some water and started again. Every moment on road adds to your experience.

This is the place where I managed to drop the bike only once in whole trip.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-img_1868.jpg

From there on-wards I tried to avoid bumper to bumper riding and reached Jawahar Tunnel.

Crossed the tunnel and the weather changed drastically, clicked some snaps at Titanic point and moved ahead as there were chances of good rain on the way.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-kashmir-valley.jpg

When the Srinagar was around 60 Kms away, it started pouring badly. The road work made the bad road worst and skiddy. Helmet visor was fogging badly. Somehow I kept moving ahead as there was no point in stopping as it was getting dark and bit scary.

Finally I reached Srinagar and started navigating to Dal lake where my hotel was booked. Rain stopped for some time and I reached hotel without getting lost. The hotel was very nice and cozy as good as a romantic Daal lake. Unloaded the bike, had bath and came out to have dinner and enjoyed the beauty of Daal Lake at night.

Unfortunately I decided to take GoPro instead of DSLR out however I was not able to record in night mode in GoPro hence started clicking with iPhone 5.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-img_1874.jpg

After having nice Punjabi dinner called it a day as the real adventure was about to start from tomorrow.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th July 2022 at 19:29. Reason: Typo
Thar4x4 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 01:44   #6
BHPian

Day 4

Srinagar - Zozi La - Drass - Kargil - Panikhar = 295 km

Google map link

Started from Daal lake around 5 AM, navigated through Srinagar which looked more beautiful in morning when it was silent. Tried to have a breakfast, all the hotels were closed hence kept on riding.

Stopped at one nice location for photo before Sonmarg.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-img_1876-copy.jpg

Thought of taking out the DSLR; tension of crossing mighty Zozi la kept me moving fast.

Reached Sonmarg and had a breakfast before check post, had aloo paratha and a tea. Had a chat with cabbies about the schedule and he said biker can cross Zozi La anytime. So I started moving towards Zozi la, no one stopped me and I entered the empty road as the traffic was coming from other side.

First couple of kms were a joyful ride with greenery and snow on mountains. Soon I encountered the oncoming traffic which started pushing me to the side of the road. We couple of bikers were lined up to negotiate with truckers and kept moving.

At one point other bikers stopped for photos so I moved ahead and soon entered the narrow patch of Zozi la which was looking dangerous. Suddenly I saw a huge convoy coming from other side which contained more than 50 trucks. An army man was walking in front of trucks to clear the road asked me to stop at one side. There was no space to move ahead or go back and I was looking around for danger of sliding stones. Those 15 mins of trips were the most threatening minutes because it was straight drop of more than 100 ft at valley side.

After the oncoming traffic slowed down I moved ahead and soon reached the land of Lama…

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-1.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-2.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-3.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-4.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-5.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-6.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-7.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-8.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-9.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-10.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-11.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-12.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zozi-la-13.jpg

Here is video composition of Zozi la

After crossing Zozi la I came out of big burden and started enjoying the awesome view. I was approaching Drass and on one of the corner I felt that something is wrong with bike, it was pulling here and there when I tried to lean on corners. Entered the Drass village and saw a hotel so stopped for quick bite. On close look found that rear tyre was losing its pressure. Enquired for puncture shop and learned that there was single shop and that was closed.

However some people told me that there is one more shop after 4 KMs. One shop owner assured that it is open today as he just got his bike repaired from there. Till the time I saw that tyre lost pressure totally. Saw a big nail on tyre which was hanging and not stuck fully but it had made the required damage. Within no time pulled my tyre infiltrator and used it for around 5 min where it tried to put the air pressure around 25 but not above that as nail was lose and which is allowing air to pass out. Did a trick and pressed the nail inside which helped to keep the pressure on 25 so started riding fast with load balanced on front wheel.

Reached the puncture repair shop but is was over crowed with private and army trucks, all the men from shop were fully occupied. They just ignored me saying no without looking at me. I was having puncture repair kit however did not want to take chance on new tyres as kit was just for emergency situation. In the meantime; Army man started talking to me and they were really curious to know how I came from Pune on bike. One of them shared his experience of living in Pune when he was in Southern Command. They appreciated my efforts and asked tyre wala to help me.

Puncture got repaired within 10 min and I kept the pressure to 35 so that there will not be more puncture in Ladakh. After some days I realized that tyre was still losing pressure above 25 but there was no option as all shops were same so kept on adding air every day and rode the bike till Pune with same puncture.

Left from the shop and reached Kargil, I did not stopped at Kargil war memory this time as I have visited this place on last trip, also the plan was to reach Panikhar so kept riding.

Filled the reserve cans in saddle bags with 5 L petrol each and topped up the tank as well. Then went in search of good hotel for lunch; didn't found single good hotel in Kargil just for food. On top of that there was one way in Kargil which was totally messed up. Came back to petrol pump and opted my reserve quota of food. After having good food, topped up my water bottles there itself and started riding to Panikhar.

When you leave Kargil; the Suru Valley starts after 10/20 kms and the scenery changes dramatically. It is totally green on ground and snow covered mountains in background. I immediately got a paisa vasual feeling.

When you leave Kargil, the straight road goes to Suru Valley and Iron Bridge on left lead us to Leh. Many people make this mistake and start riding / driving on Suru valley road.

The roads here are awesome till Panikhar and the people are happy and nice. The time I was riding from this road the school kids were walking back to home and everybody was waving to me with smiley face.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-suru-valley-4-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-suru-valley-5-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-suru-valley-8-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-suru-valley-11-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-suru-valley-12-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-suru-valley-15-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-suru-valley-13-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-suru-valley-14-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-gopr05060001-copy.jpg

This is the JKTDC Panikhar maintained by a humble man Bashir Ahemed (9469365469). He is taking care of this guest house from last 10 years. There was no one in guest house on that day so we had good chat. He told that Suru and Zaskar valley are ignored by JK government and they are not providing basic facilities like road hence tourist do not visit this side of Ladakh. He is hardly getting any bookings here as very selective people chose this route. There was not running cold / hot water in guest house, he is struggling with local JKTDC officials to get it fixed however no success.

I asked him that how you feel that you are living in heaven here. However he said what the use of heaven is as we suffer because of this extreme weather, also we send our kids to schools to big cities like Delhi, Mumbai and they do not return here as they are happy there only. I felt very bad to hear this sad truth but what can we do, it’s the truth.

Bashir was on Roja however still he prepared a rice and daal for me as he said you have come long way here and we can't keep you hungry. I passed my appreciation to him and paid him full amount as I was leaving to Pensi la early morning.

It was very cold there may be negative temp so I used 2 blankets and called it a day.

Here is video composition of Suru Valley

Here is video composition of Suru Valley

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 23:02. Reason: Text corrections
Old 3rd July 2016, 00:50   #7
BHPian

Day 5

Panikhar - Tongul - Rangdum - Pensi La - Rangdum - Panikhar - Kargil = 265 Km

Google map link

It was very cold in Panikhar and I was feeling lazy to come out of cozy blanket but destination was attractive and the road was known to be worst so pushed myself out of the bed and started packing. Loaded all the luggage on bike and left the guest house, Bashir was sleeping in his house which is near to guest house.

Still it was bit dark I was navigating through sleepy village slowly. The road after Panikar is changing at every corner, sometime it is dusty and sometime it’s muddy.

Soon I started climbing the mountains and the glaciers became clearer. It was feast for eyes to watch a fresh greenery with fresh snow background.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-1.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-2.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-3.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-4.jpg

The roads were very narrow and roads work trucks have made them worst with deep tracks. One had to be very cautious while chaining track otherwise you will be in valley for sure. Soon I reached Tongul village, there was hardly any house other than a tea shop. I was accompanied by some passenger busses as they had started very early from Kargil for Padum. Had a tea and biscuits at Tongul for 10 mins, chatted with passengers about the road and how much time this bus takes to reach Padum. They were also curious to know where I was heading. Started riding again from Tongul, this part of journey was really difficult as there was no single village till next 80 km which is Rangdum. Addition to that road were in worst condition with fresh landslides and numerous water crossing. My luck was that I got good number of trucks and busses which I over took for assurance that someone is behind me and if my bike breaks or if something happens to me there are people behind.

Enjoy the photos from Tonglu to Rangdum.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-5.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-6.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-7.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-8.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-9.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-10.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-11.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-12.jpg

I saw these three interesting people, stopped for a minute to enquire if I was on right road because before this there was circular road on river bed which was confusing. And this blue shirt person asked me if this is KTM Duke bike.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-13.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-14.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-15.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-16.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-17.jpg

After negotiating through up and downs, water crossing and boulders from river bed finally I reached Rangdum. Totally exhausted and hungry but with feeling of achievement of travelling on such road alone.

This is the Rangdum village

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-18.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-19.jpg

And this is the single hotel in Rangum for food and stay.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-20.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-21.jpg

I spent almost an hour here for food and some rest as I was riding on foot peg for almost 30 kms in last 5 hours. Had a maggy and hot tea. There were some foreigners staying in this hotel, they were having good chat over food and from there attire I guessed that they are living here for long.

Because of the road condition and the worry of bike I started thinking that should I ride till Padum or return from here to Kargil. Talked to hotel owner; he confirmed that there was no road improvement ahead; advised to visit Padum. So decided to take a call after Pensi la and started the bike again.

Rangdum monastery in view.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-22.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-23.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-24.jpg

After riding for 30 kms on same road but totally up hill I got the glimpse of Pensi La. The snow here is very clean and fresh compared to Zozi la or Khardung La.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-25.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-26.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-27.jpg

And here clicked the photo of achievement of the trip.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-zanskar-29.jpg

When I planned this trip Zanaskar Valley was the main target which I achieved on this day. Spend very little time here because I was feeling bit uncomfortable here as the wind was very high and the temp was also less. So left immediately on return journey.

While climbing Pensi La I met one RE group which was coming from Padum, had a chat with them and asked if I should go till Padum but they confirmed that there was nothing exciting ahead after Pensi La. So I made the decision to return to Kargil today itself.

Clicked some photos and videos at Pensi La, bid Adieu and returned to Rangdum for lunch.

Somehow I was feeling more uncomfortable on return and I thought that I was going to vomit here. However popped a dimox and drank some electoral water and took some rest for 30 min. Situation started improving so had some rice, daal and a tea.

I filled the reserve can of 5 L and decided to move on return journey.

When I was about to move rain started showering, so packed all cameras in bag as I had enough clicks while coming and also I had to save time to reach Kargil before it gets dark.

Reached Kargil around 6.30 PM and checked in to the hotel which was booking by HVK CHD. Had a good hot water bath and got connected to wifi to pass on the updates from last 2 days to family and friends.

Hotel served good testy dinner so topped up the stomach and dropped into the bed. The every part of body was in pain due to last 250+ km off-roading.

Here is the video composition Panikhar to Pensi La.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 23:05. Reason: Text correction
Old 3rd July 2016, 19:46   #8
BHPian

Day 6

Kargil - Lamayuru - Leh = 240 km

I was just running every DAY with tight schedule for last 5 days and the body was paining badly with Kargil cold so decided to start bit late today. Took enough time to get ready, filled up the remaining 5 L petrol from can and started for Leh. This is the awesome road for every traveler and every km is scenic and you can't resist to stop. I was not in much hurry, as 250 km and NH 1 was easy target.

Stopped at each and every corner, mountain and pass. Whenever I use to stop for photo people used to gather in curiosity of what bike it is. Somehow the Duke 390's look is changed totally after my modification and it is looking like big-shot touring bike. Many people particularly ladies asked for photograph with bike.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-lehkargil-road-namik-la.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-lamayuru_ktm_duke390.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-lehkargil-road-1.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-selfy-4.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-selfy-5.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-selfy-6.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-selfy-7.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-selfy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-selfy-3.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-selfy-2.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ktm-duke-390-selfy-1.jpg

Here is my favorite video of the trip.

Day 7

I was riding everyday when I started from Pune hence decided to take good rest now in the city of Lama. So woke up very late with lazy tea. Thought of having good lunch however Leh market was close as there was some strike by merchant union. After chat with guest owner Mr. Lings decided to give a nice wash to Duke and some lube work if available in market. There was a bullet mechanic on Shanti Stupa road who was open; so washed the bike there and headed in search of good hotel. Unfortunately all the hotels were also forced to close. Not sure why Leh people have started behaving this way, last year they did big drama with Zoom cars and this year with the strike in peak season. Finally found a hotel which was serving with doors closed, so had good veg lunch and went back to guest hotel for some more sleep.

Because of this my shopping plan went for toss in total. Mr. Lings the owner of this guest house is very interesting person, he was a tour and trek guide in early darys, then worked with Kingfisher airways and then started his own guest house in Leh. He shared lots of experience and listened to my experience as well. This is how I spent the whole 7th day of trip in very relaxed manner.

In the evening met new friends who have come in FIAT Linea Jet which is my favorite car so we started chatting on car and then we spent many hours together on different subjects. They were three people, one working in Pune and other two in Bangalore. On the next day there plan was to visit Nubra valley so we all went to bed early.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 23:07. Reason: Text correction
Thar4x4 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 22:30   #9
BHPian

Day 8

Leh - Khardung La - Leh

Today is again going to be easy day for time and kilometers however the challenge was the snow on road and the mighty Khardung La. Khardung La was closed down one day before because of snow and the weather was still cloudy and cold so there were chances of snow again.

Started from guest house around 7 AM with just a tank bang and water bottle, topped up the fuel and left for Khardung La. It was calm and bright day, additionally Kumar sir advised to start early to beat the Aircraft crowd which was a valuable advice, I got literally empty road. I experienced what he meant by aircraft crowd. All cabbies were driving like crazy and overtaking each other without thinking much.

The road was good and clean till South Pullu and it started showing its color after it. First it was dusty, then it turned into muddy and then snowy. It was good experience of riding on snow. Addition to that as I was riding very early at some places there were no tracks on road and it was snow bed, front wheel was cutting the soft snow and I was enjoying it thoroughly. Awesome!

This was my first experience of riding on snow, last time we didn't found such situation in Safari.

After negotiating corners and climbs finally I reached the mighty Khardung La, every biker’s dream destination.

I achieved the biggest milestone in my life, as SOLO ride to Khardung La, Ladakh.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-gopr05650001.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-khardungla_ktm_duke390.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-khardungla_ktm_duke390_1.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-khardungla_ktm_duke390_3.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-ride-.jpg

Video composition of my Lifetime Achievement, Solo Khardung la.

When I reached Leh from Khardung La the market was still closed, after enquiry found that it was not going to open. Out of frustration I decided to move on my plan. The next destination on my plan was Hanle.
So how I got attracted towards Hanle? Which is not very popular destination. The total credit goes to tsk1979's (Tanveer) thread and his star gazing photographs.

In the evening guest owner told me that the strike was ended and some shops in market were open. I just jumped on bike and went to market, the important shopping was for my kid to whom I promised that I will bring him a Yak and Bike printed T shirt and some stone jewellery for wife. However I found only T shirt shop so came back with half done shopping , because of which I travelled some 60 kms back to Leh from Hanle again instead of staying at Upashi. But what is 60 kms in front of 6500+.

Visited Shanti Stupa while the T shirt selected design is getting ready for kid.

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-gopr0574-copy.jpg

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-gopr0577-copy.jpg

After shopping, topped up the fuel tank as well as cans as I decided to leave early from Leh for Hanle. Reached hotel and had nice Daal rice and called it a day.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 23:09. Reason: Text corrections
Thar4x4 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 00:21   #10
BHPian

Day 9

Leh - Karu - Upashi - Himya - Chumatang - Nyoma - Leh = 254 km

Google Map link

I was aware that some 40 km road is in very bad condition however the scenery is awesome so charged all the batteries for GoPro and DSLR and left Leh around 5.30 AM. Stopped at Karu for quick tea and continued immediately. This was the first destination where I have to take a permit which was arrange by guest house owner. The challenge was of creating copies of it to submit at every check post because of closed market. Still he managed to get me 2 copies. First check post at Upashi where I submitted one copy and then remained with single copy which submitted to Mahe. The police person at Mahe was very friendly and told me that there is only big village ahead is Nyoma where you will get a copier.

After Mahe road changes from good tarmac to a bouncy/bumpy dirt road which is totally washed by Indus River. Road work is going at many places however it’s still in bad shape. Cars may feel it good as they can go fast however bike can't because it is like rumbles on hi-way. Still I managed good pace, after lots of photography halts came back on tarmac road.

In the whole trip I liked this only place because of mind blowing scenery, I even didn't felt like this in Zaskar Valley. You can't ride continuously and will stop at every km for photos. Such a beautiful place it is.

I am not going to post the photos here again as the most of the photos are already posted in first post here

But still can't resists to upload most favourite from Hanle collection is below:

Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days-hanle-roadindus-river-1.jpg

Stopped at Nyoma for lunch, there was only 2 hotels cum shops on road and the village was bit far from main road. Went to the village as I want to get copies of permit. There was really a good shop with all the things like camera battery, mobiles, SD cards and a copier. Ladakhi peoples are really friendly and humble they answer your every question very gently. Learned from the shop owner lady that road ahead is good.

Came back to main road and stopped at hotel, After enquiry found that they have momos only, however on request they made some maggy and tea for me. I was carrying some cookies which had purchased last night from Gesmo Bekery. While I was having a lunch, a Gujrathi family dropped in same hotel for lunch however being Gujrathi they were not very happy to see only two options of maggy and momos so they immediately pulled out their Channa chor and borrowed some onion and tomatoes from hotel and stared on their lunch. The girl from the family got some interest in my bike and after looking at number plate she shouted Maharashtra, from where Mumbai. Then she came to me and had a long conversation for around 20 min on how I came down here from Pune on bike and why I am doing this and what type of job I do etc. She was literally not allowing to eat my lunch however I amazed with her interest to know about a stranger. So answered all her queries, then the whole family came to me and appreciated my efforts and passed me wishes for my trip back to home. These Gujarati people are just awesome they do not hesitate at all in things they are doing. Chel chabilo gujarati.
Bike road trip is awesome just because you meet lots of different people which you can't really while travelling in a closed car.

Finished my lunch and while paying I found that hotel owner is selling petrol in 1 L bottles, so purchased four liters and filled the tank again for safer side and moved ahead towards Hanle. I didn't bothered about fuel quality in Leh at all but Duke didn't pushed me down at any place.

Soon I saw the clouds and with no time it started raining, the weather was already cold and its now rain. Hanle was just 60 kms from there so I didn't bothered much about it and kept riding. The amazing this about this rain was, the drop was freezing while travelling down to ground. I don't know what to call it but I found it amazing, it was different story that it was hitting me badly and making funny sound on helmet. Tap tap tap ...

After some time clouds vanished and I blessed with bright sunny weather, stopped at couple of time to click the magic of nature. Soon I saw the board of Hanle and a monastery on right side.

Saw the guest house board which was booked for me, reached the location dropped the luggage, had a tea and left to see the Hanle village and observatory.

The observatory is up on the hill adjacent to Hanle village and it takes around 5 minutes to reach there by bike. Once you reach there all your efforts and money gives you returns. There is a situated parking space, parked the bike and sat down for 10 min and watched the surrounding. I am short of words how it is and only I can tell you that if you have not seen Hanle you have not yet completed the Ladakh…

Below is the video composition

This day of the trip was awesome not just because of scenery but also because of new friends with whom spent lot of time on that night sharing everybody's different experiences.

Ended this day very late compared to other days in trip, Hanle was the most cold compared with Zanskar, Kargil and Leh. I was under a blank which was thick like a mattress however still it was not enough.

Day 10

Leh - Nyoma - Chumatang - Himya - Upashi - Karu - Leh = 254 km

It was bright sunny morning but still cold so I was not willing to even wash my mouth. Had some warm sun rays in open space of guest house and then went for nice breakfast offered by guest house owner. Paraths and Tea, had enough on which I can survive for a day.

Fuel was available with guest house so again filled the tank and left the Hanle for Leh.

Surprisingly there was no single cloud while going back, so enjoyed the scenery again, stopped by at one place were kids were playing cricket and then moved ahead.

Had a tea break at Mahe check post and then to Karu without any stop. Spent some time in Karu for lunch, had some discussion with bikers who were heading towards Manali.

The good news was Leh strike was ended and the whole market was open. Being this is my last day in Leh, had enough shopping on that night and good food at Gesmo again because this time I didn't got chance to enjoy the Gesmo because of the strike.

Came back to hotel and packed all the things and went to bed as next day was going to be one of the tough day again because I have to reach Manali after crossing lots of hurdles.

Paid the hotel in advance and called it a day.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 7th July 2016 at 23:12. Reason: Text correction
Thar4x4 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 08:31   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 9th July 2016, 11:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vishal - hello after a very long time! .

I can think of only two words to describe your passion. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! The photographs are wonderful, I just lived your whole trip, as if I was riding another bike with you. Let's catch up sometime, with Gajanan and Sudarshan!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 13:04   #13
BHPian

Hats of to you Brother!!

Deep respect for doing this ride alone.I have been contemplating doing a solo ride on my karizma but somehow i stop short as i am a little scared as to whether i would be able to accomplish the same alone on a karizma.

Thanks for the lovely pictures, they are just magnificent.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 13:52   #14

Congratulations on accomplishing this awesome journey.

It takes a pair to not just do it on a street bike like this KTM 390 but more so to do so all by yourself.

It's been inspirational just going thru your pictures and VDO's alone!!!

Fantastic!
Kamran Mohsin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 17:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your adventure on 2 wheels, Vishal.

Nice pics and well narrated travelogue. Keep the other parts coming along till you reached back home.

If I have not mistaken the luggage rack what you have fixed is from faasterwheels. How is this thing after all the abuses it is subjected to? I am also on the boat to get this for my D and wanted some reviews form people who have used it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks