Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 07:29   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghosh80 View Post
Dr AD, I am driving to Ganapatipule from Bangalore on this Friday night and planning to drive via Chorla ghar instead of Kolhapur route. Do you think this will be a good idea? Apart from some additional hours, I don't see any other issue
There is no issue except for quite a few additional hours. On the other hand, you will see more of the Konkan and of course, Goa as well. If you want to do that and add a couple of days to the itinerary to do so, I suggest a round trip where you return via the fastest way to get on to NH4 from Ganapatipule, which is via Kolhapur. NH4 is by far the fastest road of all that run north from Bangalore towards Konkan.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 10:28   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka

Quote:
Dr AD, I am driving to Ganapatipule from Bangalore on this Friday night and planning to drive via Chorla ghar instead of Kolhapur route. Do you think this will be a good idea?
Basically by taking Chorla, you will mostly miss the Amboli Ghats. Over the last few weeks (Months) rains have ensured this region to display its true beauty with a lot of greenery and waterfalls.

Chorla in itself is a beautiful ghat but if you are headed to Ganapatipule, take the Amboli Ghats and experience it.

Beyond additional hours, you will drive more on NH17 (now 66) while with Amboli you will hit that at the other end of Sawantwadi Bypass.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 12:34   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
There is no issue except for quite a few additional hours. On the other hand, you will see more of the Konkan and of course, Goa as well. If you want to do that and add a couple of days to the itinerary to do so, I suggest a round trip where you return via the fastest way to get on to NH4 from Ganapatipule, which is via Kolhapur. NH4 is by far the fastest road of all that run north from Bangalore towards Konkan.
Thank you very much for confirming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Basically by taking Chorla, you will mostly miss the Amboli Ghats. Over the last few weeks (Months) rains have ensured this region to display its true beauty with a lot of greenery and waterfalls.

Chorla in itself is a beautiful ghat but if you are headed to Ganapatipule, take the Amboli Ghats and experience it.

Beyond additional hours, you will drive more on NH17 (now 66) while with Amboli you will hit that at the other end of Sawantwadi Bypass.
Thank you Parag Sir for your suggestion. So to take Amboli Ghat, which route I need to take? Do I need to take detour before or after Belagavi? I know I am asking too much but if possible, please help me with the route.
Old 9th August 2017, 12:53   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So to take Amboli Ghat, which route I need to take? Do I need to take detour before or after Belagavi? I know I am asking too much but if possible, please help me with the route.
You have 2 Options:

- Enter Belgaum via Khanapur Road and then take the road to Chandgadh and then Amboli

- Take the Bauxite road to reach Changadh and then Amboli

Both these roads are in good shape and depending on the time of the day, whether you need to take a break here, you can decide the best one to take. Both are feasible choices because latest posts also say that Bauxite road is in good shape.

You can read posts on this thread - Post 3884 onward. We have discussed various points about these options. It should surely help you decide.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4241011

...And, call me Parag

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th August 2017 at 12:55.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 18:09   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You have 2 Options:

- Enter Belgaum via Khanapur Road and then take the road to Chandgadh and then Amboli

- Take the Bauxite road to reach Changadh and then Amboli

Both these roads are in good shape and depending on the time of the day, whether you need to take a break here, you can decide the best one to take. Both are feasible choices because latest posts also say that Bauxite road is in good shape.

...And, call me Parag
Thank you Parag for helping me with the route. In most probable case, I should be reaching around Belgaum at approx. 7 AM and planning to take Khanapur road, Chandgad, Amboli and finally to Ganapatipule. Hope this is fine?
dghosh80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 18:19   #96
Senior - BHPian

There is a simpler route if you want to try it: stay on the highway and bypass/go past Belgaum for maybe 50 or so kms towards Kolhapur, till you reach Sankeshwar where you take a left and get on to the road that takes you to Gadinglaj - Ajra - Amboli.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 05:29   #97
BHPian

Hello Dr.AD, You did a solo travel. However, while reading it, I felt like I am with you. The moments you captured are priceless. I wish one day I can follow the same route but not alone :-)

The places you went, mostly everything written in Hindi, including milestones. That could be an issue for people who are unable to read in Hindi.
hok kolorob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 06:37   #98
BHPian

This seems to be the most popular thread on Konkan. I am looking for homestay options in Ganpatiphule and Tarkali which can provide customized homely food as per our requirements. Would really appreciate feedback on this.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 22:44   #99
BHPian

Western Ghats Route Query

I am planning to drive down to Bengaluru (from Mumbai) for the upcoming Ganesh festival. Visiting Kollur on the way is a mandatory requirement. So I have come up with kind-a quirky drive plan; need some validation, suggestions about any not to miss places along the route (including food) and specifically suggestions around best driving routes.

Day 0: Mumbai - Belagaum
Day 1: Belgaum - Gokarna - Murdueshwar - Kollur
Day 2: Kollur - Udupi - Marvanthe Beach
Day 3: Marvanthe Beach - Sringeri - Horanadu - Dharmasthala
Day 4: Dharmasthala - Kukke Subramanya - Sharavanabelagola? - Mysuru
Day 5: Mysuru - Somanathapura - Bangaluru

Although it seems like a pilgrimage drive, but idea is to enjoy the monsoons, western ghats, architecture and food.

I will be driving a Ford Freestyle.
Old 27th August 2018, 14:43   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Western Ghats Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
This seems to be the most popular thread on Konkan. I am looking for homestay options in Ganpatiphule and Tarkali which can provide customized homely food as per our requirements. Would really appreciate feedback on this.
I am sorry I did not see this post in time since I was not quoted and I did not get any notification. It is too late to reply to you, but I hope you had a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
So I have come up with kind-a quirky drive plan; need some validation, suggestions about any not to miss places along the route (including food) and specifically suggestions around best driving routes.

Day 0: Mumbai - Belagaum
Day 1: Belgaum - Gokarna - Murdueshwar - Kollur
Day 2: Kollur - Udupi - Marvanthe Beach
Day 3: Marvanthe Beach - Sringeri - Horanadu - Dharmasthala
Day 4: Dharmasthala - Kukke Subramanya - Sharavanabelagola? - Mysuru
Day 5: Mysuru - Somanathapura - Bangaluru
I think this route is fine and you will have a fun drive. From Belgaum, make sure you take Kittur-Yellapur road to reach Gokarna. The Hubli-Ankola highway (NH52, according to the new highway number system) is one of the best roads to drive, and you should try to maximize your distance on that road.

The rest of the itinerary seems fine too. However, some of those roads might have got affected by the recent heavy rains, and therefore, it will be good if you do a bit more research on the current road conditions before starting your trip. I am sure that those roads are very scenic, so no doubt about that at all. The only doubt is on the current road conditions.

Have a good trip.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks