Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Pune to Ajanta, Ellora & Aurangabad in a Honda Brio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
Unfortunately I have booked my stay at Aurangabad. However, shouldn't a 6.30 AM start on 4th help me beat the rush?
It should, but as its a Sunday, you never know! Try not to delay your 6:30 am departure. A 30 min breakfast stop should ideally land you in Ajanta Caves at 9 am. It takes 3 hours to see Ajanta Caves in detail, even more if you choose to trek all the way up to a view point. Have a good breakfast, carry fluids (glucose water) and hope for some rains!

Also you might be knowing Mondays, Ajanta is closed and Tuesdays, Ellora is closed.

Enjoy your trip.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 11:57   #17
BHPian

Thanks for all the tips. Had a good trip to the caves. Ongoing route was through Nasik and save for the Vaijapur-Aurangabad stretch, roads were good all through out. Aurangabad-Ajanta stretch is in a very good state as well

Return was through Ahmednagar-Chakan route and it was a seamless drive.

FYI- The worst roads in the entire drive was probably in the Mumbai city on WEH

Last edited by aviat18 : 6th September 2016 at 12:15.
aviat18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 18:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
Thanks for all the tips. Had a good trip to the caves. Ongoing route was through Nasik and save for the Vaijapur-Aurangabad stretch, roads were good all through out. Aurangabad-Ajanta stretch is in a very good state as well

Return was through Ahmednagar-Chakan route and it was a seamless drive.

FYI- The worst roads in the entire drive was probably in the Mumbai city on WEH
Glad to know that you had a good trip to the caves! Do share some pix.
Old 12th July 2017, 18:04   #19
BHPian

Hi Surajonwheelz and aviat18

I would be travelling from Pune to Aurangabad on a 2 day trip at the start of August. Request your inputs for my travel needs.

1. Is the route fairly straight via Nagar road or are there detours.
2. I reckon we pass Ahmednagar. Whilst going to Shirdi in early May I made a mistake of taking the Ahmednagar bypass. Do we need to take the bypass or do we go via the Ahmednagar town.
3. How are the roads from Aurangabad to Ellora and importantly Aurangabad to Ajanta.

I would be travelling with wifey and my 7 year old kid.

Any inputs will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Rish
Old 13th July 2017, 17:02   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Hi Surajonwheelz and aviat18

I would be travelling from Pune to Aurangabad on a 2 day trip at the start of August. Request your inputs for my travel needs.

1. Is the route fairly straight via Nagar road or are there detours.
2. I reckon we pass Ahmednagar. Whilst going to Shirdi in early May I made a mistake of taking the Ahmednagar bypass. Do we need to take the bypass or do we go via the Ahmednagar town.
3. How are the roads from Aurangabad to Ellora and importantly Aurangabad to Ajanta.

I would be travelling with wifey and my 7 year old kid.

Any inputs will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Rish
I have done that route last year, hence my information is dated.

1. There is no detour, straight road.
2. Avoid bypass at all cost, go through the Nagar town. You can depend on google map to get you to the Nagar Aurangabad road, if you are in doubt.
3. Aurangabad to Ellora road is excellent. But last year road to Ajanta was in horrible condition. I am not sure, but heard that the road was freshly laid.

You have to walk a lot, be prepared on that aspect if you are with a 7 year old. My kiddo was 2 when we were there, also with my elderly parents. We had to drop a lot of caves due to that.

At Ellora, the designated parking area is far off the caves, if you can get a spot on the highway, better. There is a bus service from gate to all the 3 zones. If you are planning to cover all caves,better take the bus, ticket can be bought at the entry ticket counter.

If you are planning for Ajanta, it is better to split your accommodation between Ajanta and Aurangabad. Parking is at the base and bus is mandatory to reach the starting point.

Have sufficient water and food items with you for the cave visits. Have a nice journey.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 07:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
- Avoid the bypass from Ahmednagar, don't follow the road signs to Aurangabad while entering Ahmednagar. Follow Ahmednagar directions instead and once in the town follow road signs to Aurangabad.
- There are no tolls between Pune and Aurangabad and even to Ajanta. Separate free lanes are marked for 'cars/jeeps' which allow free transit. Even if you enter a toll gate request the operator to open it and he obliges.
- Weekdays trip (Tue-Thu) was a boon. My funda is farthest first so that you can cover the maximum distance and visit the remaining spots on your return journey.
- MTDC is very good. Opt for AC rooms not for the AC but AC implies Deluxe rooms!
- Maharstra Tourism has done a great job in maintaining these historical places but the tourists are to blame for littering.
- Please buy the Ajanta-Ellora booklet which will be sold to you first by vendors, it has all the information.
- Carry a bottle of glucose drink (Tang/Glucon-D) as its tiring to see all and you shouldn't miss any.
- In Ajanta please wear slippers or floaters as you have to take it off to enter most of the caves.
- The weather was great, sunny with cool breeze. Post monsoon everything was green.
- Special thanks to Team-BHPian sukiwa for his guidance (Experience matters)
- My friend and road trip inspiration ARAY who helped me in putting up this travelogue.
- Last but not the least my wife who is always a sport for such road trips.
- Our car, Honda Brio performed flawlessly for 780 kms in 3 days returning 18+ kmpl (overall as per MID trip info) with the AC always ON.

Drive safe
-Surja
Thank you for sharing such a vivid log. By the way, where are you from Dapodi? I just stay besides the church.

We are planning to visit this July mid, with a 7 day period.

Will it be possible for you to please share the hotel details and the overall expenses incurred (for hotel expenses).

Best regards,

Bikramjit.
Old 27th January 2019, 14:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Thank you for sharing such a vivid log. By the way, where are you from Dapodi? I just stay besides the church.

We are planning to visit this July mid, with a 7 day period.

Will it be possible for you to please share the hotel details and the overall expenses incurred (for hotel expenses).

Best regards,

Bikramjit.
Sure why not. When will my notes come handy.
Pune to Ajanta, Ellora & Aurangabad in a Honda Brio-img_20190127_141539.jpg

Hey I shifted from Dapodi, was there for 5 years, 2012 to 2017. I used to stay close to Vineyard church. We could've met on our other interest, Enfield!

Let me know if can help you with any other info.

Happy tripping,
Surja
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 15:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Sure why not. When will my notes come handy.
Attachment 1841970

Hey I shifted from Dapodi, was there for 5 years, 2012 to 2017. I used to stay close to Vineyard church. We could've met on our other interest, Enfield!

Let me know if can help you with any other info.

Happy tripping,
Surja
Thank you very much Suraj for sharing the details. Let me see if our trip materializes, will surely update the photos here.
I stay just besides the Vinyard Church, do let me know if you are coming this side. We can go Enfielding together.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Pune-Aurangabad Trip Route

Folks, I will be travelling from Pune to Aurangabad during the Diwali weekend, starting Saturday. I had a few queries:
1) I have been told to avoid the Ahmednagar bypass road and continue through the city. Is that still valid as of current?
2) How is the road from Aurangabad to Lonar Lake. I will be using a Honda City, and elderly folks in the back seat. So I dont want to spend 4 hours criss crossing potholes and muck.
3) Any specific recommendations for Ellora/Daulatabad/Mhaismal?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune-Aurangabad Trip Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Folks, I will be travelling from Pune to Aurangabad during the Diwali weekend, starting Saturday. I had a few queries:
1) I have been told to avoid the Ahmednagar bypass road and continue through the city. Is that still valid as of current?
2) How is the road from Aurangabad to Lonar Lake. I will be using a Honda City, and elderly folks in the back seat. So I dont want to spend 4 hours criss crossing potholes and muck.
3) Any specific recommendations for Ellora/Daulatabad/Mhaismal?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Finally someone who says "Ahmednagar" instead of simply "Nagar". Thank you for calling the town by its actual name.

Yes the Ahmednagar bypass is a minefield and suitable for offroading but maybe not the best choice in a city. Continue through Ahmednagar city, the traffic is a bit thick at peak hours but other than that you'll survive the experience.

The Lonar road is ok, not a moonscape but reasonably ok. You shouldn't have any issues, but all bets are off during the rainy season, which it is now.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 15:34   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Great travelogue. Doing my research to reach the place and stumbled upon this. Same questions, just need most recent info from folks if someone have been here recently - How is the road condition from Aurangabad to Lonar now?

I am taking - Bangalore - Pune - Lonar - Ajanta - Ellora - Pune - Bangalore circuit. Pune is our third or fourth home hence not via Bangalore - Solapur - Lonar. I am taking this planned trip in X'Mas vacation.

Last edited by abirnale : 9th December 2019 at 15:35.
Old 3rd January 2020, 16:40   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Some updates post my trip during X'mas:

I did Bangalore - Pune - Lonar - Ajanta - Ellora - Pune - Bangalore.

From Pune, Via Nagar and Aurangabad towards lonar I took Jalna bypass, and then Sindkhed - Dusrabid - Bibi. The roads are in good condition. The Jalana bypass was the only bad stretch of few kms.

From Lonar to Ajanta - i took road via Mehkar. The road from Lonar Town towards Mehkar until you join the Pandharpur - Shegaon highway is very bad. Drive cautiously - all cars can make it if you are cautious. After Buldhana there are literally no roads. Whichever roads you take, they are either broken, under construction or eternaly bad. The Ghat to approach Ajanta caves itself is in bad shape. You need a lot of time and patience on this stretch. I took Lonar - Mehkar bypass - Chikhli - Bhuldhana - Deulghat - Jalicha Dev - Seona - Ajanta.

From Ajanta to reach to Ellora, i took the road via Sillod - this entire stretch is horrible to say the least. Full construction zone and it takes you 3+ hours to do that 100 km stretch.

And then after Aurangabad to Pune - is usual good roads and not much to worry.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks